Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'm trying to figure out what impact players Lou has brought in. All I see is third and fourth line players. Though he seems to do a fine job in the goalie dept.
The Maple Leafs are able to lure top free agents and sell out arenas. I admire that. In the end neither team won the cup.
Owners want to make money not lose it. Winning is the top priority but success is also measured by profit. The Islanders team isn't exactly a big draw. People seem to forget our regular season record.
I suspect the Isles will take a step back next season. Building for the future and long term success should be the goal. Toronto might not be Cup contenders but I don't see the Isles being one either.
I'm not a fan of Dubas. I'm a fan of making the team better. The roster is pretty much Snow built.
I'm a fan of how Sakic built the team and the top talent he continues to find.
People lament Dubas when many of the players brought in were when Lou was there.
I give Dubas praise for trying to make the roster more competitive. Not all moves turn out in your favor. Were the Leafs successful under Lou's tenure?
People are trying to attribute major success to our GM. To me the all star is Trotz.

You’re all over the place...

It’s silly to compare financials of an original six team in the most populous city of Canada to the Islanders.

The best the Isles can hope for (after a new arena and rehabilitated image) is something akin to the... Philadelphia Flyers maybe?

Seems hypocritical to..

“I give Dubas praise for trying to make the roster more competitive. Not all moves turn out in your favor.”

Only to seemingly carry a crusade against Lamoriello for signing Komarov and Hickey. Where’s the understanding that...“Not all moves turn out in your favor” in that scenario?

Lamoriello has had more success than Dubas as the GM of the Leafs AND Islanders. Dubas’ team has declined in points where as Lamoriello’s teams have increased every year. Neither GM has won the Cup recently.

But again, this and all the other stuff has already been brought up ad nauseam.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
LOL I hadn't even seen that he had signed, somehow they snuck it in. Has to bode well for the Pulock negotiations. To a lesser extent, damn the rangers still have a lot of money after signing 2 key RFAS.

rags took advantage of twitter being down to re-sign the guy who got absolutely roasted to stamp their departure ticket from the bubble

Reactions: 19 in a row

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You’re all over the place...

It’s silly to compare financials of an original six team in the most populous city of Canada to the Islanders.

The best the Isles can hope for (after a new arena and rehabilitated image) is something akin to the... Philadelphia Flyers maybe?

Seems hypocritical to..

“I give Dubas praise for trying to make the roster more competitive. Not all moves turn out in your favor.”

Only to seemingly carry a crusade against Lamoriello for signing Komarov and Hickey. Where’s the understanding that...“Not all moves turn out in your favor” in that scenario?

Lamoriello has had more success than Dubas as the GM of the Leafs AND Islanders. Dubas’ team has declined in points where as Lamoriello’s teams have increased every year. Neither GM has won the Cup recently.

But again, this and all the other stuff has already been brought up ad nauseam.

I'm not trying to belabor these facts just responding to the critics.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Be still my heart

I don't necessarily love Hoffman, but he'd be such a great fit as a LH shot on the right side, especially on the PP. And signing him would be like a 2 for 1 deal because IMO he'd add 10 goals to Lee's total. Hoffman in the right circle, Pulock up top or on the left point, Barzal buzzing around but especially in the left corner with two deadly passing options, and Lee screening and cashing garbage in front.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Totally agree! Leddy is way more careful with the puck and every bit as good a skater if not better.
Remarkable. In a neck and neck race between Leddy and Bailey, Leddy has been one of the two favorite whipping boys on these pages for years and Toews has been a rising star. All of a sudden Toews is dogshit and Leddy is the second coming of Borje Salming, Hilarious.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Remarkable. In a neck and neck race between Leddy and Bailey, Leddy has been one of the two favorite whipping boys on these pages for years and Toews has been a rising star. All of a sudden Toews is dogshit and Leddy is the second coming of Borje Salming, Hilarious.

I was very hard on Toews for much of the year and recall a lot of other posters making similar comments that he had a rougher year and seemed to regress.. but whatever.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Dude, you need to back off the hyperbole for the overall sake of this board. Where in my statement did I refer to Toews as even being a bad hockey player let alone "dog****"? Even the quote I used from Grandma didn't even say anything bad. I think, and have always thought, that Leddy is better than Toews. No need to highjack the board every time someone posts something you don't agree with.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
No, you're not misremembering, that is, if you want to call being 11-7-2 through 20 "middle of the road" as they tried to implement a new defensive system following the Columbus embarrassment, but if you're trying to equate that with the Islanders midseason meltdown culminating in a 7 game losing streak they're not remotely comparable.

I think this has been covered, but you stated that one team was consistently excellent. All I was thinking is that the Lightening were not consistently excellent because I thought their start was a little slow and not excellent. Seems you agree.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Dude, you need to back off the hyperbole for the overall sake of this board. Where in my statement did I refer to Toews as even being a bad hockey player let alone "dog****"? Even the quote I used from Grandma didn't even say anything bad. I think, and have always thought, that Leddy is better than Toews. No need to highjack the board every time someone posts something you don't agree with.
Yes, it is hyperbole and I certainly overstated the degree of enmity directed at Toews for effect, but come on, the kind commentary going on is just ridiculous. The bottom line is that we lost a very good player. That's what happened, and trying to now paint him as something other than that is absurd. He's gone. Let him be gone without trying to make it out to be something less than it was. Nonetheless, I apologize for having posted that as a response to you. I should have made it as a general comment not in response to any particular individual.

Reactions: Newsworthy

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Yes, it is hyperbole and I certainly overstated the degree of enmity directed at Toews for effect, but come on, the kind commentary going on is just ridiculous. The bottom line is that we lost a very good player. That's what happened, and trying to now paint him as something other than that is absurd. He's gone. Let him be gone without trying to make it out to be something less than it was.
Well, I also didn't make him any less than he is. I agree he's a good player but if I had to choose between the two (regardless of contract) I would pick Leddy day of the week. Toews could be frustrating with the puck. To be fair, perhaps he will get better and make better decisions with more experience but right now, and particularly in the playoffs, he was quite sloppy.

The situation sucks, there's no doubt about that!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Yeah - I'd say that Winnipeg and Laine are heading for a divorce. That said I don't think we're Laine's next spouse. That's ok given what we'd have to give up and the cap space we don't have, but annoyingly I think that the Flyers, Blue Jackets, and Hurricanes are all good candidates to land him for multiple reasons...And of course Winnipeg will be looking to send him to the Eastern Conference if at all possible.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think this has been covered, but you stated that one team was consistently excellent. All I was thinking is that the Lightening were not consistently excellent because I thought their start was a little slow and not excellent. Seems you agree.
No, despite the 3 games over 500 start, I would still describe the Lightning season as consistent excellence. Even as they installed an entirely new defensive system they managed to keep their heads above water. That's hard to do. So while it may not have resulted in Ws, the time they spent in the first third of the season was time well spent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quicklime

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Would take Haula in a NY minute if we could grab him.

F**king Ladd :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well I'm never going to blame a player for taking the best contract he's offered, so you have to blame the person/team that gave it to them.

So in the case of Ladd still haunting us there's someone very specific to blame, but if I mention him by name the "you can't mention truth here if you've mentioned it already" police will issue a summons.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, I also didn't make him any less than he is. I agree he's a good player but if I had to choose between the two (regardless of contract) I would pick Leddy day of the week. Toews could be frustrating with the puck. To be fair, perhaps he will get better and make better decisions with more experience but right now, and particularly in the playoffs, he was quite sloppy.

The situation sucks, there's no doubt about that!
I appreciate the comments. And again, it should have been a general post. I do think that many of the posts about Toews have been an effort on the part of some to convince themselves that this is no big deal and their way of doing it is to denigrate his play to a degree far greater than it deserves.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Toews is younger not necessarily faster then Leddy. Leddy was also better then Toews in the playoffs. Trots constantly praised the play of Leddy in the playoffs.

As if we cannot connect the dots already, I think we're going to look back on this offseason and see that Leddy was not only not close to being dealt, but not even shopped around by Lou. Pelech, Pulock, and Leddy are still our best 3 d-men, but most importantly...I don't think Trotz is joking at all when he says he loves him.

Boychuk is the preferred deal for Lou as he's the lesser player, and while he has an easier contract to deal because of the cash involved, it's still not an easy contract to deal because he's not as talented as Leddy and more importantly...Boychuk can eliminate 22 teams he doesn't want to be traded to which is very hard to overcome even if Boychuk was a talented 25 year old with a reasonable contract.

Reactions: doublechili
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad