Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VIII: The Titanic Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I don't see us looking to upgrade from within... I don't think management will be that quiet.

But getting back to Leddy (and I agree on Parise), I don't think Lou will be moving him to immediately upgrade or improve the roster either.

In light of the cap info you're mentioning above, the most viable way for this team to start getting Dobson more playing time, cutting a good chunk of salary, and recouping draft picks is by moving Leddy.

And if we can say we understand anything about Lamoriello, who's first significant improvement of the forward corps per trade was the addition of Pageau, while also having bid heavily for the top offensive UFA in each of the last two summers, it's that he's likely going to shoot high for Hall or Hoffman this summer. That's where he's going to look to improve things on the wing.

I think we can all kind of feel this coming.

But otherwise, I too spent most of last summer trying to figure out how Leddy could help us get an answer for the top six up front.

Whatcha think Hoffman commands on the open market?

Of course, I could be wrong.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don't see us looking to upgrade from within... I don't think management will be that quiet.

But getting back to Leddy (and I agree on Parise), I don't think Lou will be moving him to immediately upgrade or improve the roster either.

In light of the cap info you're mentioning above, the most viable way for this team to start getting Dobson more playing time, cutting a good chunk of salary, and recouping draft picks is by moving Leddy.

And if we can say we understand anything about Lamoriello, who's first significant improvement of the forward corps per trade was the addition of Pageau, while also having bid heavily for the top offensive UFA in each of the last two summers, it's that he's likely going to shoot high for Hall or Hoffman this summer. That's where he's going to look to improve things on the wing.

I think we can all kind of feel this coming.

But otherwise, I too spent most of last summer trying to figure out how Leddy could help us get an answer for the top six up front.

Of course, I could be wrong.

I do believe that Hall and Hoffman are (or were) potential Lou targets this offseason, but those acquisitions get harder to imagine when the cap stays flat... after RFA's are resigned even to modest deals there isn't much available. somewhere between 5-6 million and that includes Ladd buyout and Leddy move for picks.

If the Isles cannot add someone like Parise (buyout), Hoffman, or Hall via free agency, then the options are:
A. Leddy trade for comparable top 6 F (IMO an example of comparable top 6 are Palmieri, Saad, or Tatar)
B. Mayfield trade for comparable young F (IMO example Kapanen)
C. From within (example Bellows, Koivula, or Wahlstrom)
D. Lower tier Free agents (example M. Granlund, C. Smith, Toffoli, Galchenyuk, even a Josh Leivo)
E. Look at F w/ bad contracts (example Hickey for Baertschi move or Leddy, Dal Colle, Hickey, + for Skinner (with salary retained))

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Before the pandemic, I was predicting somewhere between 6 and 6.5 some other posters had it at between 7-8.

With the cap staying flat, I don't think it goes that high -

My guess is between 5.5-6.

Maybe what Eberle got at 5.5.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If the math of 75% doesn't work for you then hold on (forever) as a I recalculate it.

Well, you said "if not all". I don't agree, so I wanted to clarify because it seemed like something you'd just write on the internet without thinking about it and then go make a sandwich or watch Friends on TBS. Thanks for clarifying.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Well, you said "if not all". I don't agree, so I wanted to clarify because it seemed like something you'd just write on the internet without thinking about it and then go make a sandwich or watch Friends on TBS. Thanks for clarifying.

Sure, I said "if not all" to show that perhaps there are some debatable. Seems like you just wrote on the internet without thinking about it. Maybe it hasn't been your day, your week, your month or even your year.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I do believe that Hall and Hoffman are (or were) potential Lou targets this offseason, but those acquisitions get harder to imagine when the cap stays flat... after RFA's are resigned even to modest deals there isn't much available. somewhere between 5-6 million and that includes Ladd buyout and Leddy move for picks.

If the Isles cannot add someone like Parise (buyout), Hoffman, or Hall via free agency, then the options are:
A. Leddy trade for comparable top 6 F (IMO an example of comparable top 6 are Palmieri, Saad, or Tatar)
B. Mayfield trade for comparable young F (IMO example Kapanen)
C. From within (example Bellows, Koivula, or Wahlstrom)
D. Lower tier Free agents (example M. Granlund, C. Smith, Toffoli, Galchenyuk, even a Josh Leivo)
E. Look at F w/ bad contracts (example Hickey for Baertschi move or Leddy, Dal Colle, Hickey, + for Skinner (with salary retained))

I think that if Lamoriello wants to save himself some time, he needs to hire you.

Reactions: SI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Too much...

I'm sure his crew would have (had it not been for all this Corona stuff) been busy pointing at Skinner's contract and looking for something upwards of 7 MM per.

Last edited:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Hoping we get a compliance buyout or two.

If two, jettison Ladd and Boychuk, and go all in for Hoffman.

Hoffman - Barzal - Bellows
Lee - Nelson - Eberle
Beauvillier - Pageau - Bailey
Dal Colle - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Pelech - Pulock
Leddy - Dobson
Toews - Mayfield

Sorokin
Varlamov

I think this team could realistically contend if Sorokin is the real deal.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Well, I wouldn't use Spezza as an example of the kind of guy who we could make use of on the fourth line instead of Cizikas.

In all, the whole organization was hurting bad at the center position for a while there, only magnified by Tavares' departure.

By getting Pageau, Lou finally got us to a point where, 1-4, the center position is now a brutal strength. We haven't seen it healthy yet to get the full impact.

I see no redundancy in having Pageau and Cizikas. Get that locked up and then we're just a more potent winger or two from Cup contention, granted Sorokin is the goods.

Can definitely see Montreal as a top candidate for Leddy's services.
I think it's pretty obvious that Cizikas is gone once he hits UFA in 2021 with Koivula the replacement 4C. Can't really have both your 3rd and 4th centers making big money long term. Especially a 4C who will be on the wrong side of 30 and hasn't played a full season of hockey in like four years.

Cizikas has been a good soldier here, but mixing emotional attachment and business decisions usually doesn't end well.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
:sarcasm:

Lee - Nelson - Eberle

Pelech - Pulock
Leddy - Dobson
Toews - Mayfield

Sorokin
Varlamov

Sorokin still hasn’t signed and he could’ve signed 6 hours ago!!!! It’s 6:15 in Russia!!! Wake up and sign your f***ing contract!:sarcasm:

SI

Feb 16, 2013

get on it LOU!

And if you were wondering his contract would be a 1 year ELC at .925 k for 20/21!

Reactions: danteipp

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe

Lee - Nelson - Eberle

Pelech - Pulock
Leddy - Dobson
Toews - Mayfield

Sorokin
Varlamov

That could be a dangerous lineup. I would love to see Bellows ride shotgun on the first line.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sebastian Aho voiced some frustration in a recent interview in Europe. Basically says he feels he’s been playing really well over here for 3 years and wants to be in the NHL.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

get on it LOU!

And if you were wondering his contract would be a 1 year ELC at .925 k for 20/21!

Lehtonen is a big Rangers fan.

And he wants to go someplace where he's guaranteed an NHL job right off the bat, making spots like New Jersey and Montreal very tempting.

As long as Leddy is here, I can't see us adding any Dman of this ilk.

In fact, until the 19-20 season is concluded, I can't see us adding anyone who could immediately come into question for this team.

I think Lou is on standstill mode for the time being.

As for Lehtonen, I did mention recently that from what I've seen of him, I've had to think of Mark Streit every now and then.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Sebastian Aho voiced some frustration in a recent interview in Europe. Basically says he feels he’s been playing really well over here for 3 years and wants to be in the NHL.

As mentioned in a few other discussions around here (mostly pertaining to the re-signing of RFAs), Aho has 4 full seasons of SHL play and 3 pretty full seasons of AHL play under his belt.

Either you know he's an NHLer or you know he's not.

In light of his next contract having to be a one-way deal in which any demotions will see him going through the waiver wire, I'm really not sure if the Isles are going to retain him at this juncture.

And if I'm Aho, I'm telling the team to either move me or I'm signing in the KHL or SHL. He and his camp aren't ignorant of what's going on around him. The way up is blocked heavily as things are now.

At the moment, I'm betting on him becoming our next Sundstrom.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think it's pretty obvious that Cizikas is gone once he hits UFA in 2021 with Koivula the replacement 4C. Can't really have both your 3rd and 4th centers making big money long term. Especially a 4C who will be on the wrong side of 30 and hasn't played a full season of hockey in like four years.

Cizikas has been a good soldier here, but mixing emotional attachment and business decisions usually doesn't end well.

Wow, I totally missed this.

I don't think this is obvious whatsoever. Not in the least.

Actually, likely very much the opposite.

Cizikas is one of the biggest heart 'n soul players in this organization. And he's DAMN good at what he does. Guys like him don't grow on trees.

Secondly, I don't know what Koivula's future here is, but he cannot hold Cizikas' jockstrap when it comes to overall duties of a defensive line center. That would be a major downgrade.

Does anyone think that's the kind of exchange Lou and Trotz are going to be looking for?

Granted, Cizikas' style of play has led to him to being on the IR quite a bit and the team has to take that into consideration, but I'm not sure why you mention him as being on the wrong side of 30. He's 29 right now and won't turn 30 until next February.

We'll see what his demands are when the time comes. Whatever hockey is played between now and the summer of 2021 will mean a lot for his next contract.

Last edited:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Wow, I totally missed this.

I don't think this is obvious whatsoever. Not in the least.

Actually, likely very much the opposite.

Cizikas is one of the biggest heart 'n soul players in this organization. And he's DAMN good at what he does. Guys like him don't grow on trees.

Secondly, I don't know what Koivula's future here is, but he cannot hold Cizikas' jockstrap when it comes to overall duties of a defensive line center. That would be a major downgrade.

Does anyone think that's the kind of exchange Lou and Trotz are going to be looking for?

Granted, Cizikas' style of play has led to him being on the IR quite a bit and the team has to take that into consideration, but I'm not sure why you mention him as being on the wrong side of 30. He's 29 right now and won't turn 30 until next February.

We'll see what his demands are when the time comes. Whatever hockey is played between now and the summer of 2021 will mean a lot for his next contract.

I agree, from the few games I have seen of Koivula my impressions were not "this is going to be Cizikas's replacement"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad