Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VIII: The Titanic Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Hockey trades for Nick Leddy (ABC order) to address scoring if not via free agency
  1. Arizona - Phil Kessel (at least 1 m retained)
  2. Chi - Saad
  3. Col - Burakovsky
  4. Detroit - Bertuzzi
  5. Montreal - Tatar
  6. Devils - Palmieri
  7. Van - Virtanen
  8. Vegas - R. Smith

Most of the discussion around reasons for trading Leddy have been centered around cap relief which we may need this year even if we do get the compliance buyout for Ladd. I would think it is most likely we would get picks or a prospect in any trade for him. A number of the guys you mention have comparable salaries to Leddy, so not sure that is the route we would take but interesting list if we did.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Hockey trades for Nick Leddy (ABC order) to address scoring if not via free agency
  1. Arizona - Phil Kessel (at least 1 m retained)
  2. Chi - Saad
  3. Col - Burakovsky
  4. Detroit - Bertuzzi
  5. Montreal - Tatar
  6. Devils - Palmieri
  7. Van - Virtanen
  8. Vegas - R. Smith
Colorado aren't trading Burakovsky after the season he's had (on pace for 28 goals and 64 points).

Colorado also have no need for a LHD - in fact they will need to move one of Graves, Zadorov, or Cole this offseason to make room for Byram. (Girard/Byram/Graves will be LHD going forwards).

Speaking of which, with Andy Greene possibly hitting UFA or retiring at age 37, and Leddy involved in your trade rumours I guess you could use a LHD... Do Islanders fans have any interest in Zadorov, and if so what would you be willing to offer?

The most likely return will probably be draft picks (eg. 2nd + 3rd/4th) but since NYI don't have 2nd's in either 2020 or 2021 that'll probably be difficult. A scoring winger or PK'ing forward would be good too. I'd love to add Beauvillier but I guess he's broken out enough this year compared to last to make you want to keep him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Even if you package Leddy with a 1st rd pick (which we don't have lol) it still wouldn't be enough to get 3/4 of those guys.

Huh? Think you are way off base here. 3/4 (if not all) of those guys could be landed by just a 1st round pick, which means you are valuing Leddy as nothing.

Burakovsky seems like the only reach on the list....but Colorado might want to get a return if they think it's a fluke.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI and SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Huh? Think you are way off base here. 3/4 (if not all) of those guys could be landed by just a 1st round pick, which means you are valuing Leddy as nothing.

Burakovsky seems like the only reach on the list....but Colorado might want to get a return if they think it's a fluke.

He was my big reach of the group - the others are within value of Leddy.

I threw this out there because if the Cap remains flat, they amnesty Ladd (if that is a thing), and Parise is NOT bought out and they strike out on Hoffman - the only way to upgrade top 6 would be to swap Leddy with an equivalent F.

we mentioned Saad and Tatar in a Leddy swap before...

a Kessel (2 years left) for Leddy might mean a small + from Isles and salary retained from Az

1 year of Palmieri for 2 years of Leddy - Devils need help on LH side.

Leddy (2 years) for Smith (2 years) could be interesting - Smith has been great for Vegas since coming over

Red Wings have a ton of wingers in their system and maybe they can move Bertuzzi to address the blueline - they certainly need someone who can move the puck. Imagine they land the first overall maybe ...

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He was my big reach of the group - the others are within value of Leddy.

I threw this out there because if the Cap remains flat, they amnesty Ladd (if that is a thing), and Parise is NOT bought out and they strike out on Hoffman - the only way to upgrade top 6 would be to swap Leddy with an equivalent F.

we mentioned Saad and Tatar in a Leddy swap before...

a Kessel (2 years left) for Leddy might mean a small + from Isles and salary retained from Az

1 year of Palmieri for 2 years of Leddy - Devils need help on LH side.

Leddy (2 years) for Smith (2 years) could be interesting - Smith has been great for Vegas since coming over

Red Wings have a ton of wingers in their system and maybe they can move Bertuzzi to address the blueline - they certainly need someone who can move the puck. Imagine they land the first overall maybe ...

Was well thought out imo.

Reactions: SI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Colorado aren't trading Burakovsky after the season he's had (on pace for 28 goals and 64 points).

Colorado also have no need for a LHD - in fact they will need to move one of Graves, Zadorov, or Cole this offseason to make room for Byram. (Girard/Byram/Graves will be LHD going forwards).

Speaking of which, with Andy Greene possibly hitting UFA or retiring at age 37, and Leddy involved in your trade rumours I guess you could use a LHD... Do Islanders fans have any interest in Zadorov, and if so what would you be willing to offer?

The most likely return will probably be draft picks (eg. 2nd + 3rd/4th) but since NYI don't have 2nd's in either 2020 or 2021 that'll probably be difficult. A scoring winger or PK'ing forward would be good too. I'd love to add Beauvillier but I guess he's broken out enough this year compared to last to make you want to keep him.

About the one department the Islanders - as an organization - are looking pretty stacked in, is defense.

A need to move some salary and recoup some picks is the reason most gander that Leddy could be on the way out.

If we're adding D as a stopgap in his absence, it'll be from the UFA market. Can't see Lou moving current NHLers or even more picks to add to the blueline, which is pretty good when healthy.

As an aside, I think most are assuming that Greene will resign on a one-year extension. He and Lou go way back and he has shown that he can bring the team some of the steadying influence it had been missing in Pelech's absence.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I do think Cizikas, as nice a player as he is, became redundant when JGP signed long term. But to a team needing a 3C he would be more valuable and likely would be re-signed by the acquirer. He can be replaced cheaper. A $1 million contract for Colin Wilson for example. Toronto did the same thing with Spezza for next to nothing.

Well, I wouldn't use Spezza as an example of the kind of guy who we could make use of on the fourth line instead of Cizikas.

In all, the whole organization was hurting bad at the center position for a while there, only magnified by Tavares' departure.

By getting Pageau, Lou finally got us to a point where, 1-4, the center position is now a brutal strength. We haven't seen it healthy yet to get the full impact.

I see no redundancy in having Pageau and Cizikas. Get that locked up and then we're just a more potent winger or two from Cup contention, granted Sorokin is the goods.

Montreal might be a great spot for both of them. If we can't get the immediate scoring winger then picks and a prospect would be fine. Certainly opens cap space for whatever buyout candidate might fall in our laps (our two).

Can definitely see Montreal as a top candidate for Leddy's services.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI and mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Well, I wouldn't use Spezza as an example of who we'd like to have on the 4th line instead of Cizikas.

In all, the whole organization was hurting bad at the center position, magnified by Tavares' departure.

By getting Pageau, Lou finally got us to a point where, 1-4, the center position is now a brutal strength. We haven't seen it healthy yet to get the full impact.

I see no redundancy in having Pageau and Cizikas. Get that locked up and then we're just a more potent winger or two from Cup contention, granted Sorokin is the goods.

Can definitely see Montreal as a top candidate for Leddy's services.

I agree . Cizakis was a pretty big loss and the team showed it in its play. Once JPG and Cizakis gets adjusted I feel the NHL will get to know the Isles again. I have a sneaky suspicion Nelson is that scoring winger that can get 30 plus. No way in Trotz's eyes he goes back to playing the wing though. What do I know, I'm just some dude living in NE Florida trying to figure out how t0 get 10 more yards on my drives. LGI!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I agree . Cizakis was a pretty big loss and the team showed it in its play. Once JPG and Cizakis gets adjusted I feel the NHL will get to know the Isles again. I have a sneaky suspicion Nelson is that scoring winger that can get 30 plus. No way in Trotz's eyes he goes back to playing the wing though. What do I know, I'm just some dude living in NE Florida trying to figure out how t0 get 10 more yards on my drives. LGI!

An endeavor many of us would currently like to be busying ourselves with!

SI

Feb 16, 2013
They have a surplus of second rounders, they could also buy out Alzner and then open up a spot that way.

I see a fit.

Leddy would immediately be paired with Petry as their top unit and would be the QB of the PP with Weber in a shooting situation on the LW half wall.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I always liked the possibility of Nelson playing with Barzal. Not sure BT does. The question other posters brought up that maybe it's Barzal who shifts to the wing? Concern would be Barzal and his small stature along the boards. Barzal is most dangerous when he can survey the middle of the ice and use his vision. Move JGP up with Beau and possibly look for internal answers or outside the organization for 3c. Certainly lots of thoughts on this and most fans like the benefit of rolling 4lines with competent C's.

The thought of really maximizing Nelson and JGP skills, ice time, line mates, and access to increase production is intriguing.

Starved for hockey action and at least dialogue. Stay healthy back in NY.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I always liked the possibility of Nelson playing with Barzal. Not sure BT does. The question other posters brought up that maybe it's Barzal who shifts to the wing? Concern would be Barzal and his small stature along the boards. Barzal is most dangerous when he can survey the middle of the ice and use his vision. Move JGP up with Beau and possibly look for internal answers or outside the organization for 3c. Certainly lots of thoughts on this and most fans like the benefit of rolling 4lines with competent C's.

The thought of really maximizing Nelson and JGP skills, ice time, line mates, and access to increase production is intriguing.

#13 needs the center ice in my humble opinion. If we are still starved for some pop on the wings and we need some points i would not be shy playing Nelson and Barzal together. Trotz is the guy though and loves Nelson at center.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Leddy would immediately be paired with Petry as their top unit and would be the QB of the PP with Weber in a shooting situation on the LW half wall.

We know that, but does Bergeron?

He's prolly busy figuring out how to best offer sheet Brazal.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

We need to roll all 4 lines, the Isles are much more effective when they are able to do so.

The Top 9 usage is not limited to Even Strength ice time, these players see ample time on the PP and PK and players like Nelson and Pageau will have big minutes in both.

Barzal needs to stay up the middle and a Barzal, Nelson, Pageau, & Cizikas center depth is one of the best in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Can you imagine this team without Boychuk and Martin? Can't decide which work would be more accurate - boring or candyassed.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So, you think you're getting Bertuzzi, Virtanen or Burakovasky for a straight first rounder?

Did you read what I wrote about Burakovsky?

Bertuzzi and Virtanen are debatable. It certainly wouldn't take Leddy and a 1st rounder. Bertuzzi's value is probably a first rounder, but would need an overpayment to get him from Detroit. Virtanen, not really sure about to be honest. If the math of 75% doesn't work for you then hold on (forever) as a I recalculate it.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Can you imagine this team without Boychuk and Martin? Can't decide which work would be more accurate - boring or candyassed.

I hear ya... We don't seem to be taking in the intangibles and character in our talk here when determining how much (or little) we need their services.

For all we know, in light of what they do as glue guys within the organization, management may view them as absolute mainstays that they want to hold onto no matter what.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
So, you think you're getting Bertuzzi, Virtanen or Burakovasky for a straight first rounder?

Certainly Virtanen. I think if you told Vancouver fans they'd get a first for Jake they'd do backflips. Living out here in Van - Virtanen is quite the whipping boy.

IMO, value-wise - Bertuzzi (RFA) for Leddy (2 @ 5.5) is in the ballpark. With regards to a #1? JT Miller was acquired for a first. Now, whether Detroit does a deal like this is another thing. They need big-time help on the blue line and should look to add TWO major pieces to their blueline or they will be worse this upcoming season than they were in this one.

I should have stated in my original post about hockey trades for Leddy is - there doesn't seem like there are many viable options. And the ones I listed as possible are also very tricky.

This illuminates a larger point - if the Cap remains flat and IF the team is granted an amnesty (Ladd is bought out) - it's all or nothing on Parise. Now, if Parise is not bought out, then the best way to address the top 6 is a Leddy trade and these were the most likely candidates I could find.

And if you toss out half that list because they are not realistic, then the likely option for an upgrade to the top 6 is from within... welcome kid Bellows.

A final point on Bertuzzi and Virtanen - I think they both slot behind Lee, Beauvillier, Eberle, and Bailey on the depth chart.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapOnOver

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This illuminates a larger point - if the Cap remains flat and IF the team is granted an amnesty (Ladd is bought out) - it's all or nothing on Parise. Now, if Parise is not bought out, then the best way to address the top 6 is a Leddy trade and these were the most likely candidates I could find.

And if that list you toss out because they are not realistic, then the likely option for an upgrade to the top 6 is from within... welcome kid Bellows.

I don't see us looking to upgrade from within... I don't think management will be that quiet.

But getting back to Leddy (and I agree on Parise), I don't think Lou will be moving him to immediately upgrade or improve the roster either.

In light of the cap info you're mentioning above, the most viable way for this team to start getting Dobson more playing time, cutting a good chunk of salary, and recouping draft picks is by moving Leddy.

And if we can say we understand anything about Lamoriello, who's first significant improvement of the forward corps per trade was the addition of Pageau, while also having bid heavily for the top offensive UFA in each of the last two summers, it's that he's likely going to shoot high for Hall or Hoffman this summer. That's where he's going to look to improve things on the wing.

I think we can all kind of feel this coming.

But otherwise, I too spent most of last summer trying to figure out how Leddy could help us get an answer for the top six up front.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Reactions: mm11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad