Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VIII: The Titanic Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Is it time to rethink about Evander Kane? Would San Jose be tempted with a Leddy/Cizikas package (we can make it bigger for both sides)? Kane has 5 years left at $7 million, is still only 28 and basically has been scoring at a 30-goal pace for the last 4 years. $7 million for 30 goals is not a bad contract right now.

The salary cap numbers are pretty similar. San Jose needs a 2nd-pairing LD. Cizikas fits the 3C need for them.

Then if we get the buyout on Ladd and end up with Parise you now have a top line of Parise, Barzal and Kane. That's much better wingers for Barzal as far as style of play is concerned and pushes the rest of our wingers down a slot, where they belong.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Is it time to rethink about Evander Kane? Would San Jose be tempted with a Leddy/Cizikas package (we can make it bigger for both sides)? Kane has 5 years left at $7 million, is still only 28 and basically has been scoring at a 30-goal pace for the last 4 years. $7 million for 30 goals is not a bad contract right now.

The salary cap numbers are pretty similar. San Jose needs a 2nd-pairing LD. Cizikas fits the 3C need for them.

Then if we get the buyout on Ladd and end up with Parise you now have a top line of Parise, Barzal and Kane. That's much better wingers for Barzal as far as style of play is concerned and pushes the rest of our wingers down a slot, where they belong.

yeah, but isn’t Kane a notorious douche bag?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
There's simply so much wiggle room to be gained by being able to buy out Parise or Suter.

And as mentioned in a recent post, they have a direct replacement for Parise right in their system in Kaprizov. Gotta make use of that.

I agree - although Minny Fans may rather see someone they have no connection with (and has been disappointing) head out over Parise - in the long run they have to make that contract disappear if they can

BUT

If the amnesty is granted and teams have the OPTION to use it in 2021, then the Wild will amnesty Parise next offseason - squeezing out one more productive season. I got into it with other fans here that Minny should be in rebuild but they look pretty good to me -
With a potential top 6 of Fiala, Kaprizov, Parise, Staal, Zuccarello, and maybe resigning Galchenyuk, who looked much better in Minny.
They have Karpizov coming over, they have 2 1st round picks in this draft, and once they resign Soucy and their RFAs they will have over 8 million in cap space to spend - NO rush to amnesty buyout Parise this season if they could wait.

BUT if the buyout MUST be used this offseason - Parise is the player and the Isles would be top of the list.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I'm hinting at an approach more than a specific player. Doesn't have to be Winnipeg.

I do think Cizikas, as nice a player as he is, became redundant when JGP signed long term. But to a team needing a 3C he would be more valuable and likely would be re-signed by the acquirer. He can be replaced cheaper. A $1 million contract for Colin Wilson for example. Toronto did the same thing with Spezza for next to nothing.

Montreal might be a great spot for both of them. If we can't get the immediate scoring winger then picks and a prospect would be fine. Certainly opens cap space for whatever buyout candidate might fall in our laps (our two).

Disagree. The Isles struggled last season with their C depth.

Having Cizikas and JGP isn't a redundancy - it is what gives them an edge in this tough Metro division.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This spreadsheet below shows how tight it would be if teams are granted amnesty buyouts, but Parise is not bought out, leaving the Isles to target Hoffman.

Hoffman6Barzal6Eberle5.5
Beauvillier2.1Nelson6Dal Colle0.7
Lee7Pageau5Bailey5
Komarov3Cizikas3.35Clutterbuck3.5
Johnston1
Pelech1.6Varlamov5Pulock6.25
Toews2.4Sorokin0.925Mayfield1.45
Greene1.5Boychuk6
Hickey (buried)1.45AHO0.75
Total 22 Man81.475
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You can see that it is tight- only a 22 man roster, carrying Aho over Dobson (to save an extra .200k), and everyone taking friendlier deals (mainly Barzal) to fit Hoffman.

Last edited:

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan

Evander Kane is the last player in the world we should take. He not only has off ice issues....but that extends to massive financial issues. He will need to sign another NHL contract after this one just to not file bankruptcy. His people have been shopping his contract as collateral to refinance 10s of millions of dollars in debt. Think Eddie Curry 2.0...

Reactions: mm11

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Evander Kane is the last player in the world we should take. He not only has off ice issues....but that extends to massive financial issues. He will need to sign another NHL contract after this one just to not file bankruptcy. His people have been shopping his contract as collateral to refinance 10s of millions of dollars in debt. Think Eddie Curry 2.0...
Eddy Curry. That’s a blast from the past.

I see your Eddy Curry and raise you Antoine Walker.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

Yeesh, good hockey player, tough kid that has skills, wheels and plays with a chip on his shoulder but yes sounds like a guy Lou and Co probably pass on

Reactions: YearlyLottery

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Based on what you read about Evander Kane online, at best he sounds like a troubled person who makes questionable decisions and, at worst, he sounds like human filth. Hard pass.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Based on what you read about Evander Kane online, at best he sounds like a troubled person who makes questionable decisions and, at worst, he sounds like human filth. Hard pass.

If you watch a recent interview with him from around January or so he comes off like a total diva. Not interested in him at all.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I see a lot of question marks for goaltending across the whole orginization

Varlymov
Sorokin (Not actually signed yet, does he go right into NHL?)
Griess (UFA)
Gibson (UFA, Injury problems)
Coreau (UFA, was not good)
Soderstrom (RFA, injuries, who knows what will happen)
Skarek

so that's 2 goaltenders signed next season for 4 spots. If the team signs Sorokin and put him in the NHL they will need a serious #3 in Bridgeport. Is Gibson that with his injury history? Does Soderstom get resigned? hes play 20ish games the past 3 seasons.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I am not sure I want Evander Kane around the young guys on this team. He seems like the type of player that would not be a good influence on them and therefore make this team farther away from the Cup.

Reactions: MJF

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Raise ya an Ed Whitson
Played golf with him at an outing in Connecticut a couple of years ago. Ed was ok but his buddy, another ex-MLB er, was a nasty SOB who actually challenged a couple of guys to fight. The other guy left such an impression that I had to look him up later. Had a few cups of coffee in the big leagues with not much on the back of his baseball card but he was a first ballot HOF a-hole.

I talked a little baseball with Ed but I didn't have the heart to ask him about his time as a Yankee.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Love throwing names out for fun, but no way do I trade Cizikas.

Barzal-Nelson-Pageau-Zeeker is the deepest C in the division and when other teams have Crosby and Malkin or Kuz and Backstrom you need your advantage somewhere.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I see a lot of question marks for goaltending across the whole orginization

Varlymov
Sorokin (Not actually signed yet, does he go right into NHL?)
Griess (UFA)
Gibson (UFA, Injury problems)
Coreau (UFA, was not good)
Soderstrom (RFA, injuries, who knows what will happen)
Skarek

so that's 2 goaltenders signed next season for 4 spots. If the team signs Sorokin and put him in the NHL they will need a serious #3 in Bridgeport. Is Gibson that with his injury history? Does Soderstom get resigned? hes play 20ish games the past 3 seasons.
AHL goaltending can be filled with an AHL lifer. Many teams do that. In our case I’m expecting Skarek, who is only 20YO to be challenging for the #1 slot in Bridgeport. Not sure what we will do about Soderstrom due to his injuries. If he is healthy and we resign him he might split the job with Skarek in Bridgy or force him down to Worcester ECHL for more playing time.

It’s also not out of the question that Christopher Gibson could be signed to an AHL contract if he doesn’t find another organization to play for. Jared Coreau I would let walk away.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
If you watch a recent interview with him from around January or so he comes off like a total diva. Not interested in him at all.

Is that the same interview where he mentioned something to the effect of "growing his brand?" Regardless, that one line has pretty much ended any interest of ever having him play on a "team" that I root for.

Reactions: PK Cronin

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Hockey trades for Nick Leddy (ABC order) to address scoring if not via free agency
  1. Arizona - Phil Kessel (at least 1 m retained)
  2. Chi - Saad
  3. Col - Burakovsky
  4. Detroit - Bertuzzi
  5. Montreal - Tatar
  6. Devils - Palmieri
  7. Van - Virtanen
  8. Vegas - R. Smith

Last edited:

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Hockey trades for Nick Leddy (ABC order) to address scoring if not via free agency
  1. Arizona - Phil Kessel (at least 1 m retained)
  2. Chi - Saad
  3. Col - Burakovsky
  4. Detroit - Bertuzzi
  5. Montreal - Tatar
  6. Devils - Palmieri
  7. Van - Virtanen
  8. Vegas - R. Smith
Even if you package Leddy with a 1st rd pick (which we don't have lol) it still wouldn't be enough to get 3/4 of those guys.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Even if you package Leddy with a 1st rd pick (which we don't have lol) it still wouldn't be enough to get 3/4 of those guys.

I think you are seriously undervaluing Leddy - who are the 5 players on that list are a reach?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Is that the same interview where he mentioned something to the effect of "growing his brand?" Regardless, that one line has pretty much ended any interest of ever having him play on a "team" that I root for.

Yep, it's that interview. He comes off really bad to me and I wouldn't want a player that cares more about himself than the team to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad