Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VII: The Lou Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'm 58 and other than the "Oh God" movies George Burns is borderline before my time. How old are YOU exactly?! :laugh:
LOL. Burns was the first famous "old guy" I could think of. I'm still on the right side of 50, thankfully. But like all of us, going downhill and picking up steam...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've only got 1 year on you.

I'd have to be posting from a nursing home if I saw the originals.

Wonder if I can stream the MSG Go app for the Isles' games from there?
They have an "Old Actors Home" in Hollywood. Maybe they can have an "Old Islanders Fans Home" where they show live games but also classic games on a loop. We won't know any better, so it'll be like the Isles win the Cup every day. Then we can have wheelchair parades afterwards. They can even serve bad, expensive food and not have enough restrooms to make it more realistic.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
LOL. Burns was the first famous "old guy" I could think of. I'm still on the right side of 50, thankfully. But like all of us, going downhill and picking up steam...
Turning 50 isn't that bad. Just remember to be careful reaching for things and keep your elbows close in to your body and you'll be okay.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My point is this organization has had a ton of misfortune since the Dynasty era.
Lou was brought here in hopes we could win and move forward. No he's not a magician but losing a franchise player, not signing a franchise player and barely having a franchise player really is unfortunate.
It's nice getting Pageau but teams win with luck and talent. He traded away a lot for one significant piece. That is not being critical of Lou it's just unfortunate. We have had little luck in our transactions/draft since the Dynasty era. Hopefully the tide will turn soon.

We can't even get Sorokin signed over here. Watch that become another Nino situation.
It would be nice for once to have players who want to be Islanders and to have some unexpected talent fall in our laps without paying a premium.
I believe Lou is working hard and not asleep.
Pageau wanted to be an Islander enough that he signed here for 6 years.

Maybe you need to temper your expectations a bit and let this thing breathe. We're in the middle of Lou's 2nd season here. Give it a chance.

Reactions: Costigan77

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They have an "Old Actors Home" in Hollywood. Maybe they can have an "Old Islanders Fans Home" where they show live games but also classic games on a loop. We won't know any better, so it'll be like the Isles win the Cup every day. Then we can have wheelchair parades afterwards. They can even serve bad, expensive food and not have enough restrooms to make it more realistic.
Apparently this board is that home.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
My point is this organization has had a ton of misfortune since the Dynasty era.
Lou was brought here in hopes we could win and move forward. No he's not a magician but losing a franchise player, not signing a franchise player and barely having a franchise player really is unfortunate.
It's nice getting Pageau but teams win with luck and talent. He traded away a lot for one significant piece. That is not being critical of Lou it's just unfortunate. We have had little luck in our transactions/draft since the Dynasty era. Hopefully the tide will turn soon.

We can't even get Sorokin signed over here. Watch that become another Nino situation.
It would be nice for once to have players who want to be Islanders and to have some unexpected talent fall in our laps without paying a premium.
I believe Lou is working hard and not asleep.

Saw this in TheAthletic:

According to multiple sources, Parise met with Fenton last June, voiced his unhappiness and also told him he’d be willing to move to another organization if Fenton found the right situation. His preferred destination has always been the Islanders, sources say.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Since none of us have a time machine how can we predict the future? We can't. The closest we can do is get impressions on what we see, and I haven't seen anything that makes me think Koivula is going to be an NHL regular. If you disagree that's cool, but when I look at guys at any age I rarely thing that not looking "overly out of place" is ever a confidence booster.

When I watch Koivula play I don't see anything that makes me think he can impact the NHL. Usually at any age and even if they're still in the developmental stage of their careers they show you flashes of real talent and impact ability. And I have not seen that with Koivula.

And to be clear...I want to be wrong on this. I really do. However I'm a realist before anything else.

Also for the record I've loved Beavillier from day one and thought Dal Colle was a bust. I also think Bellows is probably a bust as well, but I am totally loving Dobson.

I see Bellows as taking a similar path as Bertuzzi. It'll take a while, but I can see this kid at least has the right stuff.

Reactions: bstash19

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I hope Parise makes it clear to Guerin that zero chance he waives his NTC to any team but the Isles.

That said...I'm still confused as to why the Wild would want to deal him. Just because he's unhappy doesn't mean the team should care. They are starting a rebuild and won't have any cap issues for the rest of Parise's contract. Plus if they trade ZP and he retires then they get a serious recapture penalty against their cap...While not having him on their roster.

Wild don't want to necessarily deal him. they are fine to have him until his contract ends. It's Parise that wants out. He doesn't want to go through a rebuild. He stated this in an article in the athletic last summer.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Saw this in TheAthletic:

According to multiple sources, Parise met with Fenton last June, voiced his unhappiness and also told him he’d be willing to move to another organization if Fenton found the right situation. His preferred destination has always been the Islanders, sources say.

Probably still has some ties to the area and I would guess, enjoyed the east coast/NY area. The fact that his dad was an Islander may be a small factor as well. But make no mistake about, Lou is the biggest reason.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The numbers aren't bad at a glance, but if Ladd is the one dealt, there will have to be a sweetener. And that just gets you under the cap. If they want wiggle room, there needs to be another trade...

If the Parise for Ladd deal includes someone like Clutterbuck or Komarov, it actually shaves off another million bucks. Being a few million over is definitely a manageable. We're not talking about filling 11 roster spots with $13M or something. When I say manageable, I mean they can figure out the subsequent moves to make the money work which may include additional trades.

Pageau wanted to be an Islander enough that he signed here for 6 years.

Maybe you need to temper your expectations a bit and let this thing breathe. We're in the middle of Lou's 2nd season here. Give it a chance.

No, I was told for months that we've seen two years of Lamoriello and he's done nothing! I think we're in year four if we're looking at Lamoriello years.

Reactions: TMI and MJF

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

And right on cue the residents would say "Yeah the food's terrible here...and such small portions "

Reactions: doublechili

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Lou is going to have to be really creative during the offseason. Major trades are going to have to be made if the intent is to keep Barzal, Pullock and Toews as the core. And remember Beau and Pelech are gonna have to get paid the following season.

For a team hurting with wing production, trading Bailey only makes it that much worse. To me he is a trade candidate when he has less left on his contract or the obvious wing left unprotected that Seattle might grab- not a serious candidate to be traded during the offseason.

No those are obviously finding some ways to rid ourselves of Ladd, Hickey and possibly Boychuk.

I think we all need to hope both Dobson and Wahsltrom are ready to contribute next season, because committing 5 million to JGP already made it nearly impossible to get a good wing added to this roster via trade or free-agency. I say Dobson, because he has to be ready to take on some of the Leddy-less role because Nick is the obvious choice to be moved.

It will be interesting to say the least what we end up doing...

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
That’s what happens when you're an undesirable team playing in 2 AHL arenas in the hottest division in the league. You’re going to over pay for free agents and trades.

In terms of JPG: he was going to return a first+ from any team as a rental. We paid a 2nd rounder to guarantee he would re-sign with us. It filled our biggest hole in the lineup, improves our PK, and gives Barry way more flexibility in his line deployment. We then locked him up for all of his prime years. This is EXACTLY what we needed.

I agree with your post, but I’m confused

What does the second round pick have to do with a guarantee he would sign here?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
"Say 'goodnight' Gracie."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad