Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Yeah I guess we all tend to overreact react a bit. Both at the good and the bad. So while I don't think anyone thought we would continue that pace, going 15-0-2 gives many people visions of cups in their heads. Conversely, one losing streak and all of a sudden we are flawed and will miss the playoffs. I actually think we're a slightly better version of last year's team. But the injuries have really hurt us, and we really didn't have any injuries last year. We'll see how it all nets out but I still think we have a very good team and an excellent coach.

As the great coach Ivan Hlinka used to say (in Czech) to his players, "The most important thing is not to crap your pants." Meaning don't get too excited when winning or too upset when losing. After the Czechs won the gold medal in '98, his wife called him and was so overcome with emotion that she could barely talk. Hlinka yelled at her to "stop sniffling like a baby." LOL "We just won a hockey game, not that big of a deal." he said. RIP
Every team has injuries. So far, after being relatively healthy, we lost a key defenseman. Beyond that, we've had some role players miss a few games. But as far as injuries go, we're still ahead of the curve, I'd say. Its a long season and there will be ups and downs. Despite being in the past, that point streak still counts just like any slumps do. But our cushion is now pretty much gone and the teams chasing us have closed the gap considerably. And they're all pretty good.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Every team has injuries. So far, after being relatively healthy, we lost a key defenseman. Beyond that, we've had some role players miss a few games. But as far as injuries go, we're still ahead of the curve, I'd say. Its a long season and there will be ups and downs. Despite being in the past, that point streak still counts just like any slumps do. But our cushion is now pretty much gone and the teams chasing us have closed the gap considerably. And they're all pretty good.
All true. Regarding the injuries, last year we barely had any so that's why this year they are magnified. And while the names we lost aren't all stars, we lost a top pairing dman and Clutter is more than a role player. I'm telling you that line is super valuable...

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
why would florida trade hoffman for sorokin? they just signed bob to a 7 year deal and drafted spencer knight with their 1st rounder this year. I think we're still too far away from the trade deadline to see who is going to be a seller right now. If San Jose keeps keeps slipping I'd say target Hertl or Lebanc. Think SJ would be interested in Sorokin with how their goaltending has gone this year.

Reactions: duster19

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah I guess we all tend to overreact react a bit. Both at the good and the bad. So while I don't think anyone thought we would continue that pace, going 15-0-2 gives many people visions of cups in their heads. Conversely, one losing streak and all of a sudden we are flawed and will miss the playoffs. I actually think we're a slightly better version of last year's team. But the injuries have really hurt us, and we really didn't have any injuries last year. We'll see how it all nets out but I still think we have a very good team and an excellent coach.

As the great coach Ivan Hlinka used to say (in Czech) to his players, "The most important thing is not to crap your pants." Meaning don't get too excited when winning or too upset when losing. After the Czechs won the gold medal in '98, his wife called him and was so overcome with emotion that she could barely talk. Hlinka yelled at her to "stop sniffling like a baby." LOL "We just won a hockey game, not that big of a deal." he said. RIP
Over here we say act like you’ve done it before. For both winning streaks and losing streaks.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Beauvillier is really good right now. He's been the most consistent forward with the exception of Cizikas and that's not a real debate.

With the bad contracts, this team needs cost controlled youth with skill contributing. He fits the bill and I don't think he returns the firepower this team is missing.

MDC has 5G in 65 games and not a realistic option for a scorer. We need to step back and realize that even the most dynamic offensive talents in the league would see a downturn in production in this system, probably around 20-25%.

Fans were sad yesterday because Panarin tore it up, but do you really think he has 67 points on our team? Not a chance, IMO if he was on the Islanders he'd be around a PPG and the same goes for most players in the league with the exception of a handful who can score at will (McDavid, MacKinnon).

Trotz comments about guys wanting to play another way is telling. You see Barzal stepping to his own beat sometimes because the system (and more so the talent in the system) is not translating to goals. Barzal is 56th in points, we don't even have a top-50 point producer on the team, I get defense wins championships but has there been a SCF team without a top-50 scorer in recent history?

Trotz did a lot of losing before he won the Cup with DC and that Caps team was loaded with offensive skill all around.
Its nice to make the playoffs but having long term success is key. Drafting late and signing mid level free agents is not working. Panarin wouldn't put up video game numbers in Trotz system but he would have been a difference maker in more ways than one. Good coaches mold the system around the talent they have. For example Ovechkin is not good on defense and Trotz didn't change that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We would have been lucky if Hoffman ONLY cost Sorokin. Hoffman has shot the puck 251 times already this season. He's perfect for Barzal.
I don't know about that. That is a pretty steep price for a UFA this summer. I would prefer some term if Sorokin is dangled. Isles have waited for him for some time, now all signs point to him being in NA next year, we know Lou values his goalies.

Reactions: 12Dog

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't know about that. That is a pretty steep price for a UFA this summer. I would prefer some term if Sorokin is dangled. Isles have waited for him for some time, now all signs point to him being in NA next year, we know Lou values his goalies.

But he wasn't UFA last season when the trade was almost made. And a good possibility he would have been extended by now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
But he wasn't UFA last season when the trade was almost made. And a good possibility he would have been extended by now.
Last season, got you. I thought we were talking present deals. Right now, I would not deal Sorokin for him straight up. Not with it looking like he is coming over.

Reactions: 12Dog

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Last season, got you. I thought we were talking present deals. Right now, I would not deal Sorokin for him straight up. Not with it looking like he is coming over.
And anyway, I don't think the Panthers are still interested in Sorokin (if ever it was). They have signed for several seasons Bobrovsky and their first pick in 2019 was a goalie (Spencer Knight).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I took it to mean based on the current roster not having the firepower to offset sloppy structure, as opposed to the system itself. But if the original comment meant the system itself, then yes, I agree that doesn't make sense.
We don’t have the guns. It’s a fact. I just don’t see why everyone here is having a conniption about that more than our guys are not playing within the system. When they play within the system we get games line we had against Boston, Colorado and Minnesota. Nothing wrong with those at all.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And anyway, I don't think the Panthers are still interested in Sorokin (if ever it was). They have signed for several seasons Bobrovsky and their first pick in 2019 was a goalie (Spencer Knight).
Good point. They may have wished they traded for Sorokin with the big ticket Bobrovsky is getting and his sub .900 save % thus far.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Trading a young and promising Sorokin isn't an option. This current team is old enough.

Huh? I think it's more-so to do with Soderstrom looking like a bust (due to injuries) and Skarek is going to take a while to adjust and we have no idea if he has any viable ceiling to be an NHL goalie at this point. If you don't think Sorokin is an answer to your goaltending long-term or he won't come over this year (not worth rolling the dice again in another year or more), then you use him to upgrade other parts of the roster.

We may be able to snag a good goalie prospect with a 2nd or 3rd this year in the draft, some good goaltending prospects there.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I always thought Gibson was fine. He always played well when he was called up.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Playing in Trotz’s system is hard work and requires more commitment than the Leafs or the Pens who just freewheel and have a good ole time out there? I’m not buying it either.

I wouldn't put the Pens in that category anymore.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
All true. Regarding the injuries, last year we barely had any so that's why this year they are magnified. And while the names we lost aren't all stars, we lost a top pairing dman and Clutter is more than a role player. I'm telling you that line is super valuable...

That identity line is very crucial to this team's success.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's time to break up the 4th line and have Cizikas play 3C with some talent. This team is completely maxed out on points with this current situation. Second round is the max unless they get an unreal run from Varly. All these close games they struggle to win will have a cumulative effect physically and emotionally in the last 25 games since they never seem to get an easy win that gives Trotz a chance to rest a few players in the 3rd period.

As strange as it sounds, I'd use this season to get more experience for the youth. Beau is showing this year why he is a 3rd line player on a great team and a 2nd liner on a good team. If the 2nd and 3rd lines were filled with 20 goal scorers then it doesn't matter but the bottom 6 is killing this team.

Bring up Koivula for 4C. Play Beau and Eberle with Cizikas on 3C.

Wahlstrom and Bailey with Barzal on the 1st line so Bailey can play third man high while the others are freed to create.

Lee, Nelson and Brassard on the 2nd line.

Koivula, Komarov and Dal Colle to start on 4th line and we'll see from there.

Bellows will eventually get his shot, but that's for next year.

It's not just we are maxed out on how many points we can accumulate, it's also getting ready for a Cup run two years from now. Staying pat here is not going to get us there.

The Pelech injury was a blessing in disguise. A rested Dobson gets to gain his experience. Those who thought he should be back in junior needs to remember he's played the equivalent of 3 seasons in the last 2 years due to the Memorial Cup runs and the amount of ice time he was playing. This season gave him a chance to gain strength, let his body mature without the over-work, and learn at the major league level. We are not winning the Cup this year and we all know it. But now you will have 7 proven NHL defenders going into next year and that opens up a trade chip.
Not that I'm disagreeing with anything else, but I do wonder about posts where a kid with a total of nine unimpressive NHL games is suddenly brought up and put on the top line.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Do you think our possession numbers would be higher if we had a 4th line in tact? Injuries are unfortunately part of the equation and it’s been putting a strain on our lineup. Not an excuse but it’s there. The other part of the equation is the guys keep lapsing out of the system that got us the 48 wins last season and the 17 game point streak earlier this year. So that’s why I mention outscoring our mistakes. If we play Trotz’s system instead of standing around mesmerized like we did for much of the game last night there’s no way we get steamrolled like we did last night. Manage the puck better and make the Rags play against a tight backcheck like we all know we’re capable of and we get a better result than 6-2 and not competitive.

So I think the makeup of the core of our team is okay. And I’d rather see is promote from within than make a rash trade, because we aren’t desperate now. So let’s not act like we are.
The fourth line, consisting of Komarov and Johnston and 10 seconds of Martin, still managed to not give up any of the six goals. Unless you think the fourth line should have scored five goals, they weren't the problem in that game.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
After all the trade talk today about finding a scorer, wouldn't you know it, we scored 8 tonight, abeit it was Detroit. To quote Alanis, isn't it ironic....
in all fairness TWS , most of us have bee talking about scoring for 40 games so this was long overdue but yeah I get it

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
To me it's not panic, it's WHAT DO WE DO TO WIN A CUP?

This team as constructed, isn't getting there because it is one-dimensional. The handful of teams above us are not. It's a pretty simple formula.

We've proven we can teach players how to defend in Trotz's system. But remember what Al Arbour said about Bossy: I can teach him to defend, I can't teach him how to score 50 goals.

We need an influx of bottom 6 talent to learn how to play the system and we're wasting our time with too many of the bottom 6 players here right now.

Patience is required as it still is about the coming Belmont years. This ownership has invested a great fortune to making sure that Belmont is a success. You need to trade the farm and future to go for the cup this year or next and that is NOT going to happen IMO.

I doubt Lou will trade top round draft picks and top prospects and try to go for it all only to be an organization that is depleted and rebuilding when it needs to fill a 17,000+ seat $Billion arena night in and night out. Being competitive in 2021+ is vital to the success of this organization.

Call it a slow rebuild and establishing cred with big name UFAs which this organization has not been able to land in their history.

The Islanders will try to add a player like Panarin for $$$ to pair with Barzal and their next wave of Islanders instead of say trading the farm for a Toews who with the current bunch of vets will be aging in to next 3-5 years.

You will not get much now trading Eberle, Bailey, Leo, Martin, Dal Colle, Kuhn, Martin.

Beauvillier can be had but his contract is coming due.

Trading Barzal, Lee, Nelson, Cizekas will not happen for obvious reasons.
Same with defense which is arguably one of the better defenses in the NHL. Losing Pelech this season obviously sucks but he will return.

I believe Lou will not trade first round picks, similar to Bill Torrey, because that is his only avenue for adding big be it future talent.

I feel I need to keep repeating this. These last two seasons have been a bonus and have lived up to the promise by Lou to be competitive every night when everyone said they would be a bottom feeder after failing miserably under Snow.

You folks calling for a big trade this season are getting greedy and are certainly unrealistic.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Not that I'm disagreeing with anything else, but I do wonder about posts where a kid with a total of nine unimpressive NHL games is suddenly brought up and put on the top line.

I don't think Trotz sees things in that way. A top line assumes lines tend to stay that way but he will pull the trigger and rearrange lines quicker than most coaches. We only have one player who is consistently thought of as a top liner anyhow. I'm trying to balance chemistry and pairing skill and defense on each line, which seems to be his philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad