Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I know people are anxious and there are definitely things that in hindsight maybe we could have had a better outcome, but overall, hard to argue with the results since BT and LL have been here. LL is not a moron, he knows we need some scoring help, but it has to actually improve the team. Trades are hard to make, especially when we dont have a deep system. We'd have to trade young, controllable players for expiring contracts and that might help us this year, but definitely hurts down the line. The move lou wants to make is one that brings in an elite scorer who will be here for the long term. he's tried multiple times to do so - Stone and Panarin - and likely others we dont know about.

The things that in hindsight i might have done differently -

1. Signing eberle. Money could have been better spent on others IMO
2. Drafting - have had some hits, obviously, but there are several glaring missed opportunities to draft centers, especially. There is still time, but early returns are that Ishakov and Holmstrom arent performing to the level of the centers we had our choices of in those spots.

cant fault him for Panarin, and he certainly can bring someone in like Toffoli for a minimal return but that'll only make the team marginally better. To really be on Boston's / WAS level, we need an elite scorer. We either have to grow one or actually pull thru in FA...maybe Hall comes thru this offseason, but i wont hold my breath....

I just want to add that I believe a portion of the reason we have not seen Lou pull the trigger with trading for an aging star is because he does not want this older team to become too old in a few seasons. Remember, we have not seen a Seguin type of player traded in Lou's tenure here, I believe if that were to happen we would see Lou pull the trigger.

Keep in mind, we do NOT know that Stone would have signed an extension here if Dobson were dealt. If you know this for sure please link it.

Also, Ryan O Rielly was dealt days after Tavares left when we were all expecting a top draft pick. At that point in time it was obviously not smart to trade any picks.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Yeah, I get that. My feeling is that he'd rather have a vet Hoffman/Hall/Stone type than Laine.
I think there's something to that. Problem is (and the main reason why I don't think we did anything this offseason) is that our current salary structure has too many guys in their late 20s/early 30s on long term deals. If we did add a Hoffman-esque player, who otherwise would fit our team, that's another 4-6 year deal taking a guy in to his mid 30s and further encumbering our cap for the next 4 years or so. So either Hoffman is a rental and we lose him or we commit big dollars to another guy and he's added to Lee, Bailey, Clutter, Ladd, Eberle, Nelson, Komarov, etc. That's not a great cap situation to be in.

Which is why Lou hasn't done anything besides re-signing our own guys.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I think there's something to that. Problem is (and the main reason why I don't think we did anything this offseason) is that our current salary structure has too many guys in their late 20s/early 30s on long term deals.

I tend to agree, but I think if Lou was that concerned about it, he would have let one of Eberle/Lee walk, taken a hard pass on Panarin and tried to swing a trade for a Laine type. I don't think the veteran thing bothers him that much.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Agree, but I can almost guarantee you that trading your best prospect, a 20 year old defenseman, who is holding his own in the NHL is a risk Lou would never take especially in the situation this franchise is in.

The right return is a Panarin like player who the Islanders aspire to acquire via free agency for $$$ only. This team is hoping to build on a foundation, not slightly improve or make even up trades on and risk losing in a trade that will set them further back.
Of course he would take that risk if he believed that he would be getting more in return. That is the only factor he would consider. Would you trade Noah Dobson for Cale Makar straight up? McAvoy? Dahlin? Chabot? At the very least you'd think long and hard about it and sentiment or the fact that you drafted him would not enter into it at all. Nor should it and if he didn't he wouldn't be doing his job.

Like I said in my original post, we get so married to the guys we draft we sometimes can't see past them. It's Lou's job to do that for us.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think there's something to that. Problem is (and the main reason why I don't think we did anything this offseason) is that our current salary structure has too many guys in their late 20s/early 30s on long term deals. If we did add a Hoffman-esque player, who otherwise would fit our team, that's another 4-6 year deal taking a guy in to his mid 30s and further encumbering our cap for the next 4 years or so. So either Hoffman is a rental and we lose him or we commit big dollars to another guy and he's added to Lee, Bailey, Clutter, Ladd, Eberle, Nelson, Komarov, etc. That's not a great cap situation to be in.

Which is why Lou hasn't done anything besides re-signing our own guys.
Lou hasn't done anything because we are still in a situation where a) we have little to move and b) nobody wants to come here.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I tend to agree, but I think if Lou was that concerned about it, he would have let one of Eberle/Lee walk, taken a hard pass on Panarin and tried to swing a trade for a Laine type. I don't think the veteran thing bothers him that much.
Yes - up to a point. He's not against veterans per se. But if you look at our cap situation AFTER re-signing those veterans (who we needed to sign - there were no viable replacements), we now are too long term vet heavy and can't really afford another guy of that ilk. A legit superstar could be shoe-horned in (hence the Panarin dalliance) but beyond that, its tough now to try to fit in a middle six vet on a long term deal.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I
Keep in mind, we do NOT know that Stone would have signed an extension here if Dobson were dealt. If you know this for sure please link it.

There were published reports that both Vegas and the isles were allowed to speak to Stone's rep and make extension offers.

Vegas offered a bit more $ and I believe Nevada has no state income taxes, which makes it even more appealing to an athlete.

If I can find the link,I'll post it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
There were published reports that both Vegas and the isles were allowed to speak to Stone's rep and make extension offers.

Vegas offered a bit more $ and I believe Nevada has no state income taxes, which makes it even more appealing to an athlete.

If I can find the link,I'll post it.
I seem to recall that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: