Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sign and trade.

Would certainly fill nyi need, but with Duchene sharing an agent with Tavares (Brisson) and Duchene saying he is intrigued by the Tavares ufa process, WHY is Duchene passing up the ufa market for the NYI?

Reactions: Macch

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
My worry about signing Nelson long term for around $5.5 is that Lamoriello will not find a way to get rid of the Ladd and Clutterbuck contracts. Ladd I am assuming will be a compliance buyout. When is the year we will be able to use that though with the CBA?

In an imaginary world where we sign Duchene or Panarin the Islanders are set to make a run. THAT is how you build a contender.

Hopefully Lamoriello can find a suitor for Greiss as well. He isn't having a terrible season.

Interesting stat given that the 4th line pretty much plays together all the time when healthy: Cizikas is +13, Martin is +4 and Clutterbuck is -1 . . . kind of weird.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
C:
Barzal
Nelson
Cizikas
Filppula

Prospects: none

RW:
Bailey
Eberle
Komarov
Clutterbuck
JHS

Prospects:
Wahlstrom

LW:
Lee
Beauvillier
Ladd
Martin
Dal Colle
Johnston

Prospects:
Bellows
Koivula

LD:
Leddy
Toews
Pelech
Hickey

Prospects:
Aho
MVS
Wotherspoon

RD:
Pulock
Boychuck
Mayfield

Prospects:
Dobson
Wilde
Burroughs

G:
Lehner
Greiss

Prospects:
Sorokin
Soderstrom

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I appreciate everyone here giving me a better understanding of the current state of the NYI org.

That LW and RD depth is pretty impressive. Any idea if Sorokin is coming over soon? How old is he now?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Would certainly fill nyi need, but with Duchene sharing an agent with Tavares (Brisson) and Duchene saying he is intrigued by the Tavares ufa process, WHY is Duchene passing up the ufa market for the NYI?

The extra year, Trotz, Lou, new arena, tons of cap space, playing with a team Trending towards a contender

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I appreciate everyone here giving me a better understanding of the current state of the NYI org.

That LW and RD depth is pretty impressive. Any idea if Sorokin is coming over soon? How old is he now?

Otto Koivula is now playing center. He is our best C prospect right now, and he's beasting it in the AHL at age 20. Great chance that Koivula is the AHL rookie of the year.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

Sorokin is 23 now, Has 7 shutouts in his recent KHL play, but is under contract there for this season and next.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Sign and trade.

Why would Duchene, who will be the top center in the market, forgo testing free agency?

Nelson & Ho-Sang forDuchene and a conditional pick if he resigns. If Ottawa cannot resign Nelson - they can always flip him for more assets

Nelson's value is at its highest, so the team maximizes his value and gets a stronger player for the long run and a player the team wants to invest in long term. Bringing him to play and live LI for a couple may help convince Duchene to sign here long term as well as the 8th year

Yeah, pretty sure Ottawa will get way better offers than that.

Reactions: periferal

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Sorokin is 23 now, Has 7 shutouts in his recent KHL play, but is under contract there for this season and next.

May be misremmebering this, but I think someone of stautre in Isles media (Staple) had an aritcle a couple months ago mentioning Sorokin was looking to get out of his KHL contract and come to NA. Will post if I find the article.

Edit: As Lamoriello looks for Islanders' next franchise...

"Two league sources indicated this week that Ilya Sorokin, the team’s most prized goaltending prospect, has interest in coming to North America to join the Islanders after Sorokin’s KHL season is over."

- Staple, 12/5/18

Reactions: SI

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
May be misremmebering this, but I think someone of stautre in Isles media (Staple) had an aritcle a couple months ago mentioning Sorokin was looking to get out of his KHL contract and come to NA. Will post if I find the article.

Edit: As Lamoriello looks for Islanders' next franchise...

"Two league sources indicated this week that Ilya Sorokin, the team’s most prized goaltending prospect, has interest in coming to North America to join the Islanders after Sorokin’s KHL season is over."

- Staple, 12/5/18

Yes, but the excitement of that news only lasted a few hours. Sorokins agent later tweeted out that it's not happening until his contract expires which is two seasons from now.

Hopefully that's fake news and Lou / Malkin do everything they can to get him over here.

Leddy - Boychuck
Toews - Pulock
Pelec - Dobson

Hickey

Lehner / Sorokin

Than you got Aho and body wilde in the pipeline. the D is looking amazing in front of sorokin.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Yes, but the excitement of that news only lasted a few hours. Sorokins agent later tweeted out that it's not happening until his contract expires which is two seasons from now.

Hopefully that's fake news and Lou / Malkin do everything they can to get him over here.

Leddy - Boychuck
Toews - Pulock
Pelec - Dobson

Hickey

Lehner / Sorokin

Than you got Aho and body wilde in the pipeline. the D is looking amazing in front of sorokin.

Hm, never saw the follow up from the agent. With that, it's the best interest of Sorokin to keep any rumor of that on the down-low and it's the agent's job to protect his best interests. Who knows. I certainly am not expecting him so at this point it would be a nice surprise.

Speaking of goalies, remmeber when most of us Isles fans were PO'ed when we didn't get Grubauer?

:laugh:

Reactions: 1CupSince

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Gentlemanly reminder:
I would love to see any of E. Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Skinner, Gardiner, Zuccarello, or Bobrovsky (yes, Bobrovsky) in an Islanders uniform.

Acquiring ANY of them at this deadline is all about winning the SC this season and giving up a piece of the future to do so.

Who of you truly, truly thinks Lou and Trotz see us as being at THAT step now???

They recently reinforced what we've known all along - that they see this as a transition year.

All those guys above, and several others, are viable options to be wearing an Islander uniform at some point, but if so, they're coming to us as of this summer via free agency.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Reminder:
I would love to see any of E. Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Skinner, Gardiner, Zuccarello, or Bobrovsky (yes, Bobrovsky) in an Islanders uniform.

Acquiring ANY of them at this deadline is all about winning the SC this season and giving up a piece of the future to do so.

Who of you truly, truly thinks Lou and Trotz see us as being at THAT step now???

They recently reinforced what we've known all along - that they see this as a transition year.

All those guys above, and several others, are viable options to be wearing an Islander uniform at some point, but if so, they're coming to us as of this summer via free agency.
I agree. I can't see Lou and Trotz selling off major picks/prospects for rentals for a cup run this season. Likewise, I can't see them dumping UFA's either.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I wouldn't mind re-signing Filppula to a nice 2 year deal if possible. I know age and health factor in, but he's been pretty good and I like how he plays...he's a good vet and is versatile with his style. A 2yr contract would allow protecting an additional player in the expansion draft and signing him soon after (maybe a handshake agreement based on performance?). He'd make a nice mentor to Koivula while adding stability to the lineup. Valtteri's won a Cup, an Olympic Bronze, 2 WJC Bronze, and had success team-wise and individually with Jr A SM Liiga as well, nice experience worth keeping around.
Sorokin is gonna be good, I hope he comes over when he's ready and that he's both developed and given a fair chance...no rush with this kid. I'm looking forward to the potential of 3 stellar young Russian goalies (Sorokin, Samsonov-WSH, and Shestyorkin-NYR) in the Metro, I mean, just how awesome would that be?
And trade wise, if I was Lou and acquired some picks, I'd look for picks in the '20 and '21 draft, this team will be a contender next year and beyond, and those picks would be valuable at the deadline, for shedding salary, or sweetening a deal for an upgrade. Allows for more options and flexibility in an opening window.
LGI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not suggesting he will forgo the UFA period, just saying that trading for him in a sign and trade is possible and that those pieces being discussed would be fine if that were to happen. I'm not interested in any rental.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Gentlemanly reminder:

Something tells me Lou will make a significant move by the deadline

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I mostly agree with you, however there is one thing. Duchene's last two situations have been circuses for differing reasons. He's had some issues with his coaches/GM. The teams haven't done well.

Maybe he looks at the Isles with Lou and Trotz and figures it's a team on the rise with a real need for what he brings, and he's not going to find more professional management/coaching anywhere else in the league. And he might really want to play for Trotz (the coach and man). So, unlikely, but who knows....

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Anyone take part in staple's Q&A?
I did, not much happening this time. Says the Ho-Sang rumor about off ice stuff is false (he asked Trotz about it but who knows). Still thinks Lee signs, Nelson a good bet, Eberle prob gone. Nothing new with Sorokin.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Something tells me Lou will make a significant move by the deadline

If it is indeed a buyer's market, I could see Lou making a material trade. I think if the cost is essentially the Calgary second rounder (and maybe a B prospect), we could see some movement to help reinforce this team.

I think it also helps a bit that the Isles can absorb the full contract of an expiring contract. If all offers are essentially even, the Isles edge could be monetary since they have sufficient cap space. And we know owners like Melnyk like to save $$$, if possible.

The other option I can see is Lou trading Eberle, if he is not going to be re-signed, then packaging up that return plus say the Calgary second rounder+ for a player he wants to pitch on signing with the Isles in the off season, like a Duchene, Panarin, Stone, etc.

That works because it shows the existing players you are willing to go for it, without spending top assets, while also allowing for a trial period between the team and player approaching free agency.

I guess we will see soon enough.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Anyone take part in staple's Q&A?

I did, but read a lot of what he said as well.

He doesn’t really see the Islanders as sellers or big time buyers. He can see them going for someone cheap Brian Boyle who would fit in with the veteran heavy presence in the room.

He thinks Lee and Nelson have a good shot at being re-signed, and projected Nelson to get 5 x 5.5. He doesn’t see Eberle returning but says the trade market for him would be weak so likely not moved either.

He also said with Toews up now that he doesn’t see NYI looking for defense. When Hickey is healthy, Pelech likely becomes the 7th.

There’s a lot more in there

isles52480

Feb 27, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site

Leddy - Boychuck
Toews - Pulock
Pelec - Dobson

Hickey

Lehner / Sorokin

Mayfield over Pelech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad