Not open for further replies.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
source.gif

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The difference between trading Tavares and not taking a risk on him walking about not trading Eberle and letting him walk on purpose is quite different as well. Tavares flipped the script on this organization and didn't give the two weeks notice we would give our jobs.

Think about it.

Isles went all in on the JT front, they did not even truly entertain trade offers for him. While they could have gotten a ton for him in a trade, they were still planning to resign Tavares and have him continue to be the captain here. When he decided not to sign Isles management got nothing in return for him, but more importantly they were not planning for a future without Tavares. That was the main issue.

We move on to Eberle and the situation really couldn't be more different. If Eberle would command a 1st + then I do think he would have to be traded. But when a middling or very good team is trading for him and is offering a late second or late third it simply doesn't make sense. I would rather keep Eberle and lose him in the offseason. You could trade his rights after the season is over for like a fifth anyway.

If the question comes down to would you trade a second round pick to make the playoffs my answer is yes.

Of course the Nelson and Lee situations are much different, but this is my take on the Eberle one. It looks like he is just getting comfortable.

Very little chance he gets traded. Sometimes you have to lose a guy for nothing. We lost Okposo for nothing unfortunately but we couldn't rightfully give him up when we were competing for a playoff spot. It comes with the territory. Eberle is needed on this team. He's flawed but he's a skilled top 6 winger who knows how to put the puck in the net. He hasn't been too successful in the playoffs in the past but neither was TJ Oshie....until he was.

Its one thing if we would get a 1st round pick for him and there was someone waiting in the wings (ala Devon Toews was waiting) to replace him. We don't have that.

Let him go in the off season and make a hard run at Panarin. Re-signing Nelson with Panarin on his wing doesn't look too shabby right now.....

Totally agree, market isn't there and the team is doing well. Keep him and upgrade his spot (Panarin)in the offseason.

Well there's nothing else to complain about. Except the PP.

I'm sure I'll go into the Leddy thread sometime in the next two weeks to remind everyone he's useless.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
He has been good in the past and been good for stretches this year, unless you package him for Doughty or Keith, not sure what our d would look like without him, he has made his share of mistakes int he past 90 games though

He was horrible last season, and this season he hasnt been much better. I fully expct Lou to move Leddy this offseason and find an upgrade elsewhere.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Right, throwing out possible scenarios, oh the horror! I'm not predicting these things, you seem to miss that constantly and cherry pick little posts here and there as if it's my actual stance. Someone talked about trading players, and I said it'd be fine if it were a sign and trade. Why does that bother you so much? It wasn't a devil's advocate thing, it was pointing out a reasonable scenario in which giving up the said players would be worth it. I also posted that I wasn't in favor of getting a rental, so it'd be nice if you actually read the thread before commenting.

I post all of the time about "realistic" things. Maybe you miss my posts about breakouts, the PP, the PK, analysis of specific players, or players I'd actually like on the team, etc.

And just for you, so it's all in one place:

I'd sign Lee.
I'd trade Eberle.

I'd keep Nelson until the end of the year. If a better alternative doesn't become available, I'd try to sign him.
I'd look to trade Hickey, because Pelech is cheaper and younger.
I'd trade Greiss in the off-season.
I'd sign Lehner before I signed Bobrovsky to a mega-deal, another over $7 million and over 5 years.
I'd trade Kuhnhack at the deadline if anyone wants him. Same with Sbisa.

Players I'd target:

Duchene is the most important because he's a center and I'd like to upgrade that position.
Hayes, if we can't upgrade with Duchene.
Stone and Panarin, but then I'd look to move Ho-Sang or Dal Colle.
I'd like Brassard or Spezza for the third line center spot.
Varlamov may be available and might be a cheaper/better alternative to Bobrovsky.

I'd look into acquiring a #1 defenseman, preferably a lefty, but I don't know if any are actually available.

What I expect Lamoriello to do:

He'll make a decision on Lehner or upgrade the goalie position. We won't go into next season with uncertainty about who the starter is, and it won't be an unproven commodity if it's from outside the organization.

He'll sign Lee, and I'll be displeased with the term.

Nelson will be signed, and that will annoy me because he's not the high end #2 center this team needs.

He'll be unable to find a solid solution to our 3rd line center position and we won't bring in a #1 defenseman.

Now THIS is a great post....And I agree with most of it, especially the BOLDED parts. My thoughts:

• Lee must be resigned. I hate that with Lou running the show we can't even know if they're talking, but if the Isles aren't trying to sign him or he won't negotiate then he MUST be traded. No "Tavaresgates" part 2.
  • Absolutely go for Duchene even though it's a longshot, but if we resign Nelson that dream will die.
  • I would trade Nelson and take my chances at center as the money/term he's going to commend won't help this team get to the Cup.
  • I'd rather lose Eberle for nothing than give him 6 million/year. Try to trade at all costs.
  • Stone or Panarin would be a dream. Yes please.
  • I know Bobrovsky is a "name" player and good, but do you want to commit massive and long-term dollars to a guy who can become a distraction at any time? I don't. Lehner still has much to prove, but if we can resign him to a 2-3 year deal that should be the goaltending solution for now. He's been OUTSTANDING.
  • That said, I don't see Lehner as being a "Lou guy" in goal. I do think Lou will wait until summer to figure out the goaltending as I think he will want to explore Bobrovsky first.
  • Ho-Sang/Dal Colle won't fetch much in a deal, but I'm all for dealing at least JHS. MDC might as well hold even though I'm pretty sure he's a bust.
  • The reason LL won't bring in a #1 defenseman is because how is going to find one? We have some decent prospects, but the cost to get a #1 D-man is way too high and there are none to sign in FA. If he can package a Pelech/Mayfield and a 1st rounder for a legit top-3 D-man, that's much more of a move I see him making.
  • Go ahead an explore it, but no one is trading anything of substance for Kühnhackl or Sbisa. If they can't play for us how are they playing for a Cup contender?
  • Kevin Hayes I would absolutely make a run for. He's been playing great on the worst rangers team in 20 years. He's got size and is in his prime and could fill that #2 center role for cheaper than Duchene (and maybe even Nelson). Give me Hayes over Nelson.
  • Spezza is basically done. If Nelson walks and LL can't get Duchene/Hayes/another legit #2 center, then I'd sign Spezza as a placeholder for ONE year, but I wouldn't expect much.
  • Basically same thing from Brassard.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Now THIS is a great post....And I agree with most of it, especially the BOLDED parts. My thoughts:

• Lee must be resigned. I hate that with Lou running the show we can't even know if they're talking, but if the Isles aren't trying to sign him or he won't negotiate then he MUST be traded. No "Tavaresgates" part 2.
  • Absolutely go for Duchene even though it's a longshot, but if we resign Nelson that dream will die.
  • I would trade Nelson and take my chances at center as the money/term he's going to commend won't help this team get to the Cup.
  • I'd rather lose Eberle for nothing than give him 6 million/year. Try to trade at all costs.
  • Stone or Panarin would be a dream. Yes please.
  • I know Bobrovsky is a "name" player and good, but do you want to commit massive and long-term dollars to a guy who can become a distraction at any time? I don't. Lehner still has much to prove, but if we can resign him to a 2-3 year deal that should be the goaltending solution for now. He's been OUTSTANDING.
  • That said, I don't see Lehner as being a "Lou guy" in goal. I do think Lou will wait until summer to figure out the goaltending as I think he will want to explore Bobrovsky first.
  • Ho-Sang/Dal Colle won't fetch much in a deal, but I'm all for dealing at least JHS. MDC might as well hold even though I'm pretty sure he's a bust.
  • The reason LL won't bring in a #1 defenseman is because how is going to find one? We have some decent prospects, but the cost to get a #1 D-man is way too high and there are none to sign in FA. If he can package a Pelech/Mayfield and a 1st rounder for a legit top-3 D-man, that's much more of a move I see him making.
  • Go ahead an explore it, but no one is trading anything of substance for Kühnhackl or Sbisa. If they can't play for us how are they playing for a Cup contender?
  • Kevin Hayes I would absolutely make a run for. He's been playing great on the worst rangers team in 20 years. He's got size and is in his prime and could fill that #2 center role for cheaper than Duchene (and maybe even Nelson). Give me Hayes over Nelson.
  • Spezza is basically done. If Nelson walks and LL can't get Duchene/Hayes/another legit #2 center, then I'd sign Spezza as a placeholder for ONE year, but I wouldn't expect much.
  • Basically same thing from Brassard.
WE. ARE. NOT. TRADING. OUR. UFAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->