Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I would do that trade. I think Puljujarvi is another example of a power forward that will take longer to develop. I think what we are seeing this year with MDC could happen next year with Puljujarvi.

You do realize that Puljujarvi is already a good step ahead of Dal Colle when it comes to NHL experience and NHL points, right?

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't believe even Edmonton would give up Puljujarvi for Ho-Sang straight up. Throwing in a pick or even a guy like Vande Sompel or Wotherspoon likely wouldn't get it done, because EDM needs NHL D in the here and now. It has plenty of kids on the way up in the years to come.

What I could see, if the gentlemen would be willing to waive any NTCs and NMCs, is a swap of Ho-Sang, Hickey, and Ladd for Puljujarvi, Lucic, and long-term injured Andrei Sekera.

It would bring Edmonton immediate help for the blueline, get rid of a contract they're dying to get rid of (albeit Ladd's deal is not much better), and allow them to open up cap space on a player whose career future is uncertain (actually somewhat unlikely), even if that player is a pretty darn good one. It would also give the team a truly talented kid who, with a new lease on life and a friend in McDavid, may still be able to put things together. That'd be a big risk.

We shouldn't forget that Edmonton already feels very strongly that Yakamoto is going to be a top 6 forward for them in the near future, which is also making things cloudy for Puljujarvi.

The price they pay for that cap relief and a shot at Ho-Sang becoming something special with a change of scenery would giving up a kid who has a lot of the power forward aspects that sometimes tend to need a lot of time and patience before they blossom. Puljujarvi wasn't a top 4 pick for nothing and has all the prerequisites to be an effective NHLer. Seriously, the kid could explode within the next contract. That's something we could definitely wait for.

Whether or not Puljujarvi would already play a role for us now wouldn't be as important this season as seeing what Lucic can do with a change of scenery and, of course, the tutelage of Trotz.

He'd certainly make us all that much tougher and any sort of scoring rebound on his behalf would add a huge dynamic, likely to line 3 and maybe the power play.

Of course, I could be way off here. But trying to stay realistic about certain possibilities.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He has said it a few times in post game interviews, earlier in the season. I’m not going to go back and find a video and link because I don’t know exactly when it has occurred, but I remember watching it and being quite surprised because I felt Nelson had been better but not to the level warranting the praise from BT.

Well I thought that would be the answer. I mean using interviews as gospel about how a player/coach feel about another one is far from official. Remember the audio of the Senators players bashing their special teams coach in the back of an Uber...? They're not saying anything like that to the media.

Get me a private recording between just a conversation between Lou and Trotz and that I'll treat as a source.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Coach Trotz found it to give AHL Mayfield the most ice time of any Islander last night against the best team in hockey and hold them to 1 goal. Ward I think you were a little hard on the beaver last night...

Try to picture a Cup contending team and Mayfield getting that much ice time. I can't . You?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I could see Ho-Sang to Edmonton.

Please make this happen...For anything. Let annoying Edmonton fans think he's going to be "the next Patrick Kane" for the next decade.

That said, watch them trade Nugent-Hopkins and a 1st for Panarin.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Ho-Sang is not the type of player to gamble on if in need of forward help but he might be the perfect sweetener in a larger deal. Little value on his own but his potential alone makes him valuable as an add-on. A package of Eberle/Ho-sang or Nelson/Ho-sang carries quite a bit more value than they do on their own.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think youre being a little hard on mayfield. I think he has been pretty solid. Hes a perfect #5/6 guy
Yep. Someone has to be the 6th guy!

Mayfield plays that role, provides certain intangibles such as being a right handed shot, big body and has decent PKing abilities. Oh and he's cheap! It's my personal opinion that he will do well in a playoff environment where the rules loosen, we had a snapshot of that in the few games he played vs Washington. Small minutes and like two games but it was evident then.

Reactions: SteveH124 and SI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lots of smoke and fire out there. I'm kind of wondering if the following moves are doable and would be beneficial.

TORONTO HAS NEEDS:
- Not enough toughness? Boo birds going to town on Jake Gardiner? Nylander coming back reallll slow in the stats department? Impending huge contracts on the way...

Time for Lou to offer Leddy, Eberle (UFA), and Johnston for Nylander and Gardiner (UFA).

This move is ultimately lateral in some respects, even if the Isles perhaps win long-term if Nylander gets back to what he should be, which I'm sure he will. But it also continues to help Toronto enough in the here and now while adding long-term toughness and freeing the team of contract concerns (existing and upcoming).

DESPERATE TIMES IN CHIARELLITON:
- Trouble on D? Lacking the kind of special talent that can play with McDavid? Desperate to get rid of Lucic, who is underperforming while earning an incredible paycheck? Wondering if certain young studs will be good enough quick enough?

Granted the NTCs and NMCs can be wiaved, time to ship Ho-Sang, Hickey, and Ladd to Edmonton for Lucic and Puljujarvi (I know - nothing new here).

Lou can help Chiarelli now and in the future. Time to switch some assets up and see if certain guys just need a new lease on life. Lou should be able to entice Chiarelli to chance it with Ho-Sang and stabilize his D a bit with Hickey, the +/- beast. There is a wee bit of incentive for Chiarelli to take on a guy like Ladd rather than continue to carry the Lucic burden, just as a Lucic under Trotz could also be an interesting thing to discover.

To me, these seem like the kind of moves can help all teams involved, just in different ways, while not really hurting any of the teams involved too much.

Of course, we take on some risk, but also potentially the two best long-term players among all players named.

Reactions: Macch

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If he signs an ELC, then the team can send him where they want to - except for college. His college career would then be over.

BC is struggling so hard - makes sense that's wahlstrom goes to AHL next season -Bellows-Koivula-Wahlstrom top line at Bport

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Lots of smoke and fire out there. I'm kind of wondering if the following moves are doable and would be beneficial.

TORONTO HAS NEEDS:
- Not enough toughness? Boo birds going to town on Jake Gardiner? Nylander coming back reallll slow in the stats department? Impending huge contracts on the way...

Time for Lou to offer Leddy, Eberle (UFA), and Johnston for Nylander and Gardiner (UFA).

This move is ultimately lateral in some respects, even if the Isles perhaps win long-term if Nylander gets back to what he should be, which I'm sure he will. But it also continues to help Toronto enough in the here and now while adding long-term toughness and freeing the team of contract concerns (existing and upcoming).

DESPERATE TIMES IN CHIARELLITON:
- Trouble on D? Lacking the kind of special talent that can play with McDavid? Desperate to get rid of Lucic, who is underperforming while earning an incredible paycheck? Wondering if certain young studs will be good enough quick enough?

Granted the NTCs and NMCs can be wiaved, time to ship Ho-Sang, Hickey, and Ladd to Edmonton for Lucic and Puljujarvi (I know - nothing new here).

Lou can help Chiarelli now and in the future. Time to switch some assets up and see if certain guys just need a new lease on life. Lou should be able to entice Chiarelli to chance it with Ho-Sang and stabilize his D a bit with Hickey, the +/- beast. There is a wee bit of incentive for Chiarelli to take on a guy like Ladd rather than continue to carry the Lucic burden, just as a Lucic under Trotz could also be an interesting thing to discover.

To me, these seem like the kind of moves can help all teams involved, just in different ways, while not really hurting any of the teams involved too much.

Of course, we take on some risk, but also potentially the two best long-term players among all players named.

Very interesting times ahead.

I know we're in a playoff battle, but LL's "transitional team" and BT's "We're a year or 2 away" comments keep ringing in my head.

I would certainly approve of a deal that might hurt us this season but makes us better next year.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
BC is struggling so hard - makes sense that's wahlstrom goes to AHL next season -Bellows-Koivula-Wahlstrom top line at Bport

Wahlstrom could also head to the Q next season. I think Cape Breton owns his rights. Maybe Lou makes a few calls and suddenly Ryoun-Noranda gets his rights. Dobson and Wahlstrom tear the Q a new bunghole next year and are ready to go 2020.

Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Ho-Sang is not the type of player to gamble on if in need of forward help but he might be the perfect sweetener in a larger deal. Little value on his own but his potential alone makes him valuable as an add-on. A package of Eberle/Ho-sang or Nelson/Ho-sang carries quite a bit more value than they do on their own.

I can see Ho-Sang in a package for Duchene

SI

Feb 16, 2013
yeah... as a throw in.

Still have to give up our 1st and top prospect.

Why would we trade for Duchene? He's a UFA after this season

Nelson & Ho-Sang forDuchene and a conditional pick if he resigns. If Ottawa cannot resign Nelson - they can always flip him for more assets

Nelson's value is at its highest, so the team maximizes his value and gets a stronger player for the long run and a player the team wants to invest in long term. Bringing him to play and live LI for a couple may help convince Duchene to sign here long term as well as the 8th year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad