Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I did, but read a lot of what he said as well.

He doesn’t really see the Islanders as sellers or big time buyers. He can see them going for someone cheap Brian Boyle who would fit in with the veteran heavy presence in the room.

He thinks Lee and Nelson have a good shot at being re-signed, and projected Nelson to get 5 x 5.5. He doesn’t see Eberle returning but says the trade market for him would be weak so likely not moved either.

He also said with Toews up now that he doesn’t see NYI looking for defense. When Hickey is healthy, Pelech likely becomes the 7th.

There’s a lot more in there

OMG please no. I HATE that guy. I would rather get Brian Strait back than get that Frankenstein looking guy.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Try to picture a Cup contending team and Mayfield getting that much ice time. I can't . You?
I can remember a time when I couldn’t picture a cup team with guys like Gordie Lane and Dave Langevin. I think Mayfield has much potential to improve on his already good start to his career

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I did, I asked him what he sees happening in Lee, Nelson, and Eberle's future.

Lee- signs
Nelson- likely stays
Eberle- gone but most likely on the team come June 1st still.

After last year we should all be assuming they're all walking for nothing until they are actually signed or traded.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
When was the last time a franchise player left in free agency before last summer?

Good argument. No - Really really solid to outstanding way to backup your "sign and trade" claim.

The only reason Tavares left is because he wanted to show you that him staying had ZERO to do with waiting for the 18-19 cap number to come out.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Good argument. No - Really really solid to outstanding way to backup your "sign and trade" claim.

The only reason Tavares left is because he wanted to show you that him staying had ZERO to do with waiting for the 18-19 cap number to come out.

If you actually bothered to read the thread you would've noticed this post from me:

"I'm not suggesting he will forgo the UFA period, just saying that trading for him in a sign and trade is possible and that those pieces being discussed would be fine if that were to happen. I'm not interested in any rental."

So well done reading skills. Really, really solid to outstanding way to put words in my mouth.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If you actually bothered to read the thread you would've noticed this post from me:

"I'm not suggesting he will forgo the UFA period, just saying that trading for him in a sign and trade is possible and that those pieces being discussed would be fine if that were to happen. I'm not interested in any rental."

So well done reading skills. Really, really solid to outstanding way to put words in my mouth.

You're the king of, "it could happen," but never does.

Remember last year..."I'm not saying that Tavares is waiting for the 18-19 cap to come out before resigning, but he could be." He never was.

You know...This offseason Bobrovsky, Duchene, Panarin, and Karlsson could all sign with the Isles this offeason. I'm not saying it's likely, but it could happen - How's that? Can I now become a member of the "Lottery Ticket Devil's Advocate Club"?

Would be so refreshing if you started discussing things that were realistic and/or likely to happen.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Remember last year..."I'm not saying that Tavares is waiting for the 18-19 cap to come out before resigning, but he could be." He never was.

You know...This offseason Bobrovsky, Duchene, Panarin, and Karlsson could all sign with the Isles this offeason. I'm not saying it's likely, but it could happen - How's that? Can I now become a member of the "Lottery Ticket Devil's Advocate Club"?

Would be so refreshing if you started discussing things that were realistic and/or likely to happen.

Right, throwing out possible scenarios, oh the horror! I'm not predicting these things, you seem to miss that constantly and cherry pick little posts here and there as if it's my actual stance. Someone talked about trading players, and I said it'd be fine if it were a sign and trade. Why does that bother you so much? It wasn't a devil's advocate thing, it was pointing out a reasonable scenario in which giving up the said players would be worth it. I also posted that I wasn't in favor of getting a rental, so it'd be nice if you actually read the thread before commenting.

I post all of the time about "realistic" things. Maybe you miss my posts about breakouts, the PP, the PK, analysis of specific players, or players I'd actually like on the team, etc.

And just for you, so it's all in one place:

I'd sign Lee.
I'd trade Eberle.
I'd keep Nelson until the end of the year. If a better alternative doesn't become available, I'd try to sign him.
I'd look to trade Hickey, because Pelech is cheaper and younger.
I'd trade Greiss in the off-season.
I'd sign Lehner before I signed Bobrovsky to a mega-deal, another over $7 million and over 5 years.
I'd trade Kuhnhack at the deadline if anyone wants him. Same with Sbisa.

Players I'd target:

Duchene is the most important because he's a center and I'd like to upgrade that position.
Hayes, if we can't upgrade with Duchene.
Stone and Panarin, but then I'd look to move Ho-Sang or Dal Colle.
I'd like Brassard or Spezza for the third line center spot.
Varlamov may be available and might be a cheaper/better alternative to Bobrovsky.

I'd look into acquiring a #1 defenseman, preferably a lefty, but I don't know if any are actually available.

What I expect Lamoriello to do:

He'll make a decision on Lehner or upgrade the goalie position. We won't go into next season with uncertainty about who the starter is, and it won't be an unproven commodity if it's from outside the organization.

He'll sign Lee, and I'll be displeased with the term.

Nelson will be signed, and that will annoy me because he's not the high end #2 center this team needs.

He'll be unable to find a solid solution to our 3rd line center position and we won't bring in a #1 defenseman.

Last edited:

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
After last year we should all be assuming they're all walking for nothing until they are actually signed or traded.

Correct, Art is only speculating here, Lou runs an incredibly tight lipped front office and this would pure speculation.

Reactions: periferal

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

This is the internet he can discuss whatever he wants within the rules, I don't get this take?

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Something tells me Lou will make a significant move by the deadline

That would be very interesting, one way or the other.

Just can't see it being a "Our picks & prospects for your upcoming UFA" trade.

As I've mentioned here and in other threads, I can see something where UFAs get moved for UFAs or unwanted contract is moved unwanted contract or unwanted prospect is moved for unwanted prospect.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Just can't see it being a "Our picks & prospects for your upcoming UFA" trade.

As I've mentioned here and in other threads, I can see something where UFAs get moved for UFAs or unwanted contract is moved unwanted contract or unwanted prospect is moved for unwanted prospect.
I agree. :thumbu:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm a firm believer that Jake Gardner will be an Islander come 7/1.

Lou, combined with those moron Toronto fans giving him the Larry Murphy treatment to me says he's out of there and coming here. He would be their version of John Carlson

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm a firm believer that Jake Gardner will be an Islander come 7/1.

Lou, combined with those moron Toronto fans giving him the Larry Murphy treatment to me says he's out of there and coming here. He would be their version of John Carlson

Gardiner is a defensive liability, great offensive ability though. I'd rather pass.

Assuming we keep Leddy, Gardiner is very similar to his skillset and is going to be expensive on the UFA front. I don't think he's worth the investment to land him and he's not the greatest fit considering our roster makeup.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Gardiner is a defensive liability, great offensive ability though. I'd rather pass.

Assuming we keep Leddy, Gardiner is very similar to his skillset and is going to be expensive on the UFA front. I don't think he's worth the investment to land him and he's not the greatest fit considering our roster makeup.

Is he really? I'm not saying he's some type of stalwart back there but I feel he just gets beaten down and the rep is worse than his play.

I like Leddy but he's just not smooth moving the puck. There is something I just don't like about his game overall and I still have trouble putting my finger on it.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Is he really? I'm not saying he's some type of stalwart back there but I feel he just gets beaten down and the rep is worse than his play.

I like Leddy but he's just not smooth moving the puck. There is something I just don't like about his game overall and I still have trouble putting my finger on it.

Gardiner is a very good skater, good offensive abilities. I think he was originally a center growing up and converted to d-man kind of late... it shows. He's that type that looks really good 90% of the time, that 10% is really bad. When he makes a goof, it's typically a goal against.

I know everyone loves to crap on Leddy, but he's on a really good deal and someone will always be willing to give him a chance with the way he skates. Having Leddy AND Gardiner, our RD's are going to have to work OT every night and the nerves of the fans will be on high alert all the time.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I know everyone loves to crap on Leddy, but he's on a really good deal and someone will always be willing to give him a chance with the way he skates. Having Leddy AND Gardiner, our RD's are going to have to work OT every night and the nerves of the fans will be on high alert all the time.

It's just hard to imagine someone being worse than Leddy the past few games.

Reactions: Strummergas

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I did, but read a lot of what he said as well.

He doesn’t really see the Islanders as sellers or big time buyers. He can see them going for someone cheap Brian Boyle who would fit in with the veteran heavy presence in the room.

He thinks Lee and Nelson have a good shot at being re-signed, and projected Nelson to get 5 x 5.5. He doesn’t see Eberle returning but says the trade market for him would be weak so likely not moved either.

He also said with Toews up now that he doesn’t see NYI looking for defense. When Hickey is healthy, Pelech likely becomes the 7th.

There’s a lot more in there

I don't have a problem with Brian Boyle and likes what he brings at a low cost, but where would you put him? We'll have Ladd back at some point (Art said he's started skating) and we already have two veteran Centers for the bottom 6.

The problem with TDL for this team is that we already have what can be acquired cheaply and I can't imagine LL spending some of our highly prized assets for rentals.

This team has depth. What it would need to make a meaningful run is to upgrade the talent level of our depth. And that's too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad