Speculation: Rumors, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gio, Brodes and Dougie are not going anywhere, let's just be honest. Moving them is lateral and makes no sense.

So you're looking at probably Russell, and one of Andersson/Kylington and probably a guy like Hudler with someone like Bailey coming back.

So, Russell, Hudler, Kylington for Hamonic and Bailey.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wouldn't think it's an impending death or anything immediate like that- if it was, I doubt he'd request a trade as opposed to asking for time off. Possibly some kind of long-term illness, though, I guess, that his mother might need help with.

Though I guess it's pointless to speculate.

I posted in the Hamonic thread, but I'll toss in here as well.

TL;DR - I think Hamonic's personal stuff is situated in Alberta or BC. I also think he wants this trade because a leave of absence is not an option.

I wonder if where his personal stuff is, is not in Winnipeg but somewhere in SK, AB or BC. This might make sense to eliminate Minny since it's an additional hour flight. I presume an additional 2 hours round trip (if he's taking that between games) wouldn't be good. St Paul and Anaheim for instance are about 3 hours from Calgary. Winnipeg 2 hours.

The theory of it being in AB or BC makes more sense if considering Vancouver to Winnipeg is 3 hours as well but somehow part of the rumored destinations. I considered if it was in Saskatchewan, but Minny is closer than Vancouver to Regina, so IMO it doesn't make sense to be in Sask (unless it's revealed later Minny is worth considering). Minny isn't right up there.

Second, I believe Hamonic wants to play. He said previously it helps him getaway from the loss of his father. Otherwise, it's much easier to just take a leave of absence. I think Hamonic will play and play hard to wherever he is traded in Western Conference Canada. Even if there is a loss of family, he will want to play. Not take time off.

But this is purely my speculation.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hamonic's from Manitoba and apparently wants to be as close to home as possible, which suggests Winnipeg is the preferred choice.

“Credit to Elliotte Friedman for first breaking the news. But hidden beneath the surface, there are reasons. We’re not privy to all of them, and probably shouldn’t be, considering there are family reasons behind Travis Hamonic requesting out prior to the start of the season. But as you guys know; he’s from Manitoba, not that far from Winnipeg, and he wants to be closer to home. So that’s Western Canada. That would be Winnipeg, then Calgary, then Edmonton, and I suppose Vancouver.

On if it’s his understanding that Winnipeg is the No. 1 destination on Hamonic’s list:

“I would think preferred, yes, but I would say was preferred prior to the start of the season. Because things have dragged on a little bit – and again, I don’t think anyone is being critical of the process. When you’re talking about a player of this magnitude, it’s complicated, to say the least. It would have been less complicated, I suppose, if the acknowledgement had been made prior to the draft, because that’s an open venue for this type of wheeling and dealing and there’s more flexibility to get a deal like that done.

“But Snow needs a piece, or pieces, that make sense to make this deal happen. Does Winnipeg have those assets? Not sure of that. It depends on which player or players collectively we think the Jets could live without to add a piece like Hamonic. But there’s a ton of interest, obviously.”

Dreger: Todaysslapshot

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hamonic's from Manitoba and apparently wants to be as close to home as possible, which suggests Winnipeg is the preferred choice.

Dreger: Todaysslapshot

Yes, I took that into account, so if that's the case, Minny should be in the running, but unsure why Vancouver is in the running...

Probably best not to speculate more about where he's trying to be. Sorry.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes, I took that into account, so if that's the case, Minny should be in the running, but unsure why Vancouver is in the running...

Probably best not to speculate more about where he's trying to be. Sorry.

Based on Calculon's quotes there, it's because they've been trying since the beginning of the season, and because of the process taking this long, he's been encouraged to increase the options. At this point, he's probably thinking "anywhere (West) is better than here."

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Winnipeg could move buff with another asset for Hamonic as buff is Ufa after season and Hamonic has an awesome contract.

Edmonton should offer Draisaitl and unprotected 2016 1st.

Calgary is just set up too weird to make a strong offer - just got Hamilton, just signed Giordano and Brodie is better than Hamonic. Johnny, money and Sammy are off limits. We don't have the right mix currently unless snow wants veterans for a Cup run.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Winnipeg could move buff with another asset for Hamonic as buff is Ufa after season and Hamonic has an awesome contract.

Calgary is just set up too weird to make a strong offer - just got Hamilton, just signed Giordano and Brodie is better than Hamonic. Johnny, money and Sammy are off limits. We don't have the right mix currently unless snow wants veterans for a Cup run.
A potential top line player + a likely top 5/10 pick for a lower-end #1/high end #2?

Why would Edmonton do that?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Draisaitl has been really, really good this season. Plus, he's still cheap and doesn't have that stench of losing inundating his every fibre of being just yet.

Frankly, he should be a key part of their new core for rebuild 3.0.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

That would be god awful for the Oilers to offer. I think Chiarelli is an idiot but even he isn't that dumb. That would be like us giving up Bennett and a 1st for him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah, like I could see Edmonton doing Eberle or Yak. With maybe Schultz thrown in and someone like Lee or Nelson coming back, and maybe a 2nd going to the Isles.

Yak/Eberle
Schultz
2nd

For Hamonic
Lee/Nelson

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Based on Calculon's quotes there, it's because they've been trying since the beginning of the season, and because of the process taking this long, he's been encouraged to increase the options. At this point, he's probably thinking "anywhere (West) is better than here."

Oh I see. I was thinking it from a completely different context then.

Wideman + Agostino + 1st for Hamonic?

I'd rather keep the 1st and 2nd rounder unless it's from 2017. Then it's a maybe from me.

Unless NYI is willing to change their acceptance criteria, I can't see anything working out. They need a piece that fits a need now and the future. We can't offer a player like that but do have enough spare parts to offer pieces which combined can replace Hamonic. That being said, that's not enough from the perspective of NYI IMO.

As others have said, the situation is that Hamonic is a nice to have player, not a must have player.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It really depends if the Isles plan to make a run and go all in this year.

Hudler (50%) and Wideman (50%) Conditional pick (1st round pick if the Isles miss the playoffs) for Hamonic. Is that even close?

IMO Russell is a better fit than Wideman. Value wise, I personally think it's close. But Isles aren't looking for close, they're looking for a win. I'd also rather swap the 1st rounder to either 2017 1st rounder or Andersson in the trade straight up. (And I homer believe Andersson and Kylington to be equal to late 1st rounders we stole in the 2nd round)

I don't know to be honest.

Aug 21, 2014
Oh I see. I was thinking it from a completely different context then.

I'd rather keep the 1st and 2nd rounder unless it's from 2017. Then it's a maybe from me.

Unless NYI is willing to change their acceptance criteria, I can't see anything working out. They need a piece that fits a need now and the future. We can't offer a player like that but do have enough spare parts to offer pieces which combined can replace Hamonic. That being said, that's not enough from the perspective of NYI IMO.

As others have said, the situation is that Hamonic is a nice to have player, not a must have player.

Oh definitely, however when it involves potentially upgrading the Oilers. I'd hope we try to beat them out. :D

EDIT: Looks like Hamonic's willing to play the season out in Brooklyn.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You guys are severely undertaking Hamonic. His value is pretty close to TJ Brodie. It would take a Gio or Bennett, or Monahan to be included.
They are a good team too they will want roster players and not picks.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You guys are severely undertaking Hamonic. His value is pretty close to TJ Brodie. It would take a Gio or Bennett, or Monahan to be included.
They are a good team too they will want roster players and not picks.

Most people in this thread have said/agreed his value is similar to Brodie's. You are severely underestimating the fact that he has:

a) requested a trade
b) has highly restricted which teams (just 4 teams) he will accept a trade to.

Hamonic will not return an asset of Gio, Bennett or Monahan value due to the circumstances surrounding him.

You are correct that they will want a roster player back. Isles management has said they want to swap him for a similar defender.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

:scared::scared::scared:

Seriously though, looks as though Brodie and Hudler may have a small, nagging injury of sorts; maybe the hand not a hundred percent for Brodie yet. Would explain a lot for the latter while making the former even more impressive.

edit:

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Most people in this thread have said/agreed his value is similar to Brodie's. You are severely underestimating the fact that he has:

a) requested a trade
b) has highly restricted which teams (just 4 teams) he will accept a trade to.

Hamonic will not return an asset of Gio, Bennett or Monahan value due to the circumstances surrounding him.

You are correct that they will want a roster player back. Isles management has said they want to swap him for a similar defender.

I was gonna say exactly this. Iggy's value was probably more than a 1st and two AHLers when he got traded, too. Circumstances matter.

The Islanders want an equivalent player back in the trade. But there is literally zero reason why a team would actually make a trade where they send a truly equivalent player to NYI just to help them out of a tight spot. If the players being talked about were really equal in value, there is no reason to make the swap from our perspective, you'd just be swapping to a player less familiar with your locker room and system.

The Isles should lose this trade.

However, Yzerman should have lost the St. Louis trade, and didn't. So who knows?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Islanders' Travis Hamonic not going to change his game after trade request
Travis Hamonic is willing to wait. His trade request to New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow was delivered before the start of the 2015-16 season, but he understands the process may take a while.

“I don’t want to handcuff the team by any means,” Hamonic said after Thursday’s practice. “Garth has a job to do and I completely understand that and I respect his process. I respect Garth tremendously, not just as a general manager but as a person as well. Maybe in this business people overlook some of those things.

“He’s going to do what he feels is best for the organization and I’ve said that from the start. I’ve signed here and I love it here. I really enjoy my teammates. So whatever Garth feels is best is not going to bother me. I’m ready to play here and battle hard and go to war every night. It hasn’t been an issue for me so far this season, and I continue to try to work hard and win here. That’s our goal. One thing I can guarantee and promise is I’m not going to change how I play on the ice.”

Leverage back to the Islanders, at least until the off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad