Speculation: Rumors, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's going to be Edmonton. Makes too much sense, and they are way more able to pull off something like this. Unless, of course, the Isles want a defenceman specifically. If so, I think it'll be Vancouver.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hamonic would be a terrific addition. But if the Islanders are only interested in a replacement, then I can only see them wanting Brodie, Hamilton and maybe Giordano. And unless it's Giordano going the other way, it doesn't make sense.

If they try for a bigger deal and look for maybe a lesser defenseman but a better forward, that would unfortunately leave Edmonton in a better position to make a deal since they can dangle Eberle as a possible Okposo replacement. Or Draisaitl, whose one ELC could be very appealing.

Wishful, but it would certainly be nice though if Hamonic preferred Calgary above all else, and Snow falls in love with Russell and Hudler. One can dream.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's going to be Edmonton. Makes too much sense, and they are way more able to pull off something like this. Unless, of course, the Isles want a defenceman specifically. If so, I think it'll be Vancouver.

Agreed. If the rumors are true Chia would look pretty bad if he can't pull off a deal with the amount of assets that organization has. Would hesitate on moving Gio though, guy was heart and soul for the Flames before he went down last year and the Flames rewarded that with a big contract. Knee jerk moves can really bite a team in the ass. Would absolutely entertain Russell/Wideman + picks or prospects(not the 1st plz!).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah I would be okay with trying to swing a major deal here. Unlikely I know.

Russell/Wideman+Hudler @50%+2nd+Prospect

Probably dreaming but still.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah I would be okay with trying to swing a major deal here. Unlikely I know.

Russell/Wideman+Hudler @50%+2nd+Prospect

Probably dreaming but still.

Would something revolving around a package of Russell AND Wideman salary retained to 4M to the end of his contract plus prospects/picks be enough? As painful as it may be, I'd even consider tossing in one of Andersson or Kylington into the mix. I know we drafted them with second round picks, but they feel almost like early second late first level prospects to me for some odd reason.

Idea wise to have a Russell and Wideman retained as "current" replacement play for Hamonic, Andersson/Kylington for future replacement? Enough value or have to add?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Eberle for Hamonic makes a lot of sense.

I don't see this being the case if Snow wants some type of "equal" replacement of Hamonic to the team and the rumor says no picks and prospects. IMO, Winnipeg makes more sense. The trade between the Jets and Isles would be uncomfortable for both teams, but they could get the closest to the right value/type of player trade going IMO. Plus I think Hamonic is from MB, so it works best for him there?

I personally think WPG is the best fit location for Hamonic and pieces to move. Though the other teams should be able to put together something competitive especially Edmonton.

EDM trade I'd venture a guess around Klefblom and Eberle+?

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Hamonic would be a terrific addition. But if the Islanders are only interested in a replacement, then I can only see them wanting Brodie, Hamilton and maybe Giordano. And unless it's Giordano going the other way, it doesn't make sense.

If they try for a bigger deal and look for maybe a lesser defenseman but a better forward, that would unfortunately leave Edmonton in a better position to make a deal since they can dangle Eberle as a possible Okposo replacement. Or Draisaitl, whose one ELC could be very appealing.

Wishful, but it would certainly be nice though if Hamonic preferred Calgary above all else, and Snow falls in love with Russell and Hudler. One can dream.

We've got plenty of forward prospects, such as Barzal and Beauvillier who are lighting their leagues, Dal Colle who's turning it on now, and Ho-Sang who is a wild card, plus they have no where to put him if Strome regains last years form. They're not breaking up the 4th line.They will want a capable Dman who could play this year. Theodore Jameison Brodie, I'm looking at you. We also have some solid prospects who could soften the blow.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hamonic's on a great contract, he's 25, and a top Dman. RHD too, to slide him along Brodie for the top-pairing.

Calgary has to make this deal. It's not often that top young players become available. If you folks haven't watched this kid play, he's absolutely the real deal.

Outside of Bennett, Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie & Hamilton; there shouldn't be anything off the table to get ahold of this kid. If that means we have to fork over a couple top prospects and some NHL'ers to get this deal done, it has to.

In a perfect world we'd see Hudler (retained), Russell, and a couple prospects go the other way. But I have no idea what the cost would be. I would love the crying in Edmonton if the trade isn't huge, and we get it again :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We've got plenty of forward prospects, such as Barzal and Beauvillier who are lighting their leagues, Dal Colle who's turning it on now, and Ho-Sang who is a wild card, plus they have no where to put him if Strome regains last years form. They're not breaking up the 4th line.They will want a capable Dman who could play this year. Theodore Jameison Brodie, I'm looking at you. We also have some solid prospects who could soften the blow.

I know Brodie is comparable and probably the closest thing to an even 1 for 1 out of the Western Canadian teams, but he's just not for sale.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
I know Brodie is comparable and probably the closest thing to an even 1 for 1 out of the Western Canadian teams, but he's just not for sale.

I know. That's what I feel the isles would ask for if they go to Calgary for him. We have some good prospects if it helps soften the blow, like Barzal, Pulock, Beauvillier, MDC, Mayfield, and Pelech, JHS, according to value imo.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I know. That's what I feel the isles would ask for if they go to Calgary for him. We have some good prospects if it helps soften the blow, like Barzal, Pulock, Beauvillier, MDC, Mayfield, and Pelech, JHS, according to value imo.

I think Volicia said it best. We'll move in a combination of any sort (still has to make sense value wise) anyone not named Brodie, Hamilton, Bennett, Monahan or Gaudreau. Our first may likely be off the table unless protected as well.

Not what you are looking for I'm sure, but Hamonic is a luxury for us to be honest. One I would absolutely love having, especially if it means he isn't going to Edmonton or Vancouver.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
I think Volicia said it best. We'll move in a combination of any sort (still has to make sense value wise) anyone not named Brodie, Hamilton, Bennett, Monahan or Gaudreau. Our first may likely be off the table unless protected as well.

Not what you are looking for I'm sure, but Hamonic is a luxury for us to be honest. One I would absolutely love having, especially if it means he isn't going to Edmonton or Vancouver.

I should've said it better, that Brodie I feel is fair value, but now that this is public I don't think we get fair value.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I should've said it better, that Brodie I feel is fair value, but now that this is public I don't think we get fair value.

The good news from that perspective is that there's bound to be competition, because every single one of the four Western Canadian teams will be interested in and would benefit from Hamonic's services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad