Speculation: Rumors, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I just think if Edmonton has to overpay they will. They have to right?

As for Brodie, thats a non-starter for me. He might be my favorite on this team besides Monahan.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Yeah, Brodie is a comparable player. Which means the Flames have no reason to make that deal.

Sucks for Isles fans :(

I could see a reason, but maybe it's because I'm an Islanders fan, and the following was a reason for the Vanek trade, as well as very unlikely. In my opinion, both teams are under preforming and maybe a trade like Hamonic for Brodie could wake up the rest of the team(s) and show nobody is safe. Once again, I doubt that will happen.

I'm practically crying, no exaggeration. He's our Brodie. You could argue he's the second best player on the team behind Tavares, as well as the second most likable.

Also, Hammer is a right D, and tough as nails. I haven't acquainted myself with the roster enough yet to know the needs.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I could see a reason, but maybe it's because I'm an Islanders fan, and the following was a reason for the Vanek trade, as well as very unlikely. In my opinion, both teams are under preforming and maybe a trade like Hamonic for Brodie could wake up the rest of the team(s) and show nobody is safe. Once again, I doubt that will happen.

I'm practically crying, no exaggeration. He's our Brodie. You could argue he's the second best player on the team behind Tavares, as well as the second most likable.

If Brodie had been slumping hard, perhaps. However Brodie has been our 1st or 2nd best player this season. He isn't the problem, and I am sure management are keenly aware of that.

I am sorry though, id be gutted if the same sort of news came out about Brodie. :(

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
If Brodie had been slumping hard, perhaps. However Brodie has been our 1st or 2nd best player this season. He isn't the problem, and I am sure management are keenly aware of that.

I am sorry though, id be gutted if the same sort of news came out about Brodie. :(

I nearly get a heart attack just sitting still from the news, let alone when my phone buzzes.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO, a Brodie for Hamonic trade would be brutal on both fan bases based purely on the loss of player alone. Even if equivalent value and player, player received is no consolation for the player lost.

I can't imagine being an Isles fan right now with so much uncertainty. :( I hope it works out for you guys.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, Brodie is a complete non-starter. It'd be lateral at best, but more like a downgrade in mobility and offense (although maybe that's just the homer in me).

I agree though that Brodie would be the Isles target. But since that makes no sense for the Flames, I expect Hamonic to go the Canucks or Jets. Maybe the Oilers if neither of the other teams are offering a similar calibre defenseman and Snow still has a thing for Eberle.

If The Isle's can't find common ground with Okposo, maybe something like Hamonic+Okposo for Eberle+Fayne/Schultz+2016 first.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
More importantly, I hope whatever personal issue is causing this is resolved. I know he lost his father at a young age, hopefully it's not his mother or something like that.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Yeah, Brodie is a complete non-starter. It'd be lateral at best, but more like a downgrade in mobility and offense (although maybe that's just the homer in me).

I agree though that Brodie would be the Isles target. But since that makes no sense for the Flames, I expect Hamonic to go the Canucks or Jets. Maybe the Oilers if neither of the other teams are offering a similar calibre defenseman.

Hammer imo is great at skating the puck up and imitating Bobby Orr, but his problem is he has no ******* clue what to do with the puck after.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hammer imo is great at skating the puck up and imitating Bobby Orr, but his problem is he has no ******* clue what to do with the puck after.

So a mobile stay at home defenseman then. Would actually be a great complement to Brodie funnily enough. Or,

Brodie-Hamilton
Giordano-Hamonic

Would be a beastly top four.

It's going to suck seeing him on the Oilers.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Sounds kind of like Brodie actually. If only that kid had a shot(not counting picking Schneiders corner) he'd be good for another 15 points a year. I'd love Hamonic, been a while since the Flames had a Top 4 dman that made opposing wingers hesitate coming down the boards. Just don't really see a fit with the group that's already here and the limited assets Treliving has to throw around. Doesn't stop me crossing my fingers for a Wideman 30% retained + 2nd + blue chipper deal.

Hope the personal reasons cited go the right way for the guy, sucks when that stuff comes up for athletes but family comes first.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Calgary?Winnpeg?Edmonton?

Minny makes sense too if that's the case. Assuming no weird reason that he has to specifically be on a team in Canada. EDIT2: Chicago is close too.

EDIT: If based on travel time, TO and Ottawa are comparable, but I presume no go due to conference?

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think with the position the Isles are in they won't get a 1 for 1 trade. I think the best they can hope for is a package, possibly with futures; especially now that it is out in the public.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Edmonton should be offering the moon for Hammer. Calgary might not have the assets without hurting the organization.

Unless BT can get him for a decent deal; I don't know if we can compete with the other few teams.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
If the islanders really want to continue competing I could see the Flames offering almost all our avaible UFA's and some certain assets. A package like this would be huge but I would do it:

Hudler
Russell
Morgan Klimchuk
2nd round pick

for Hamonic

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
More importantly, I hope whatever personal issue is causing this is resolved. I know he lost his father at a young age, hopefully it's not his mother or something like that.

I wouldn't think it's an impending death or anything immediate like that- if it was, I doubt he'd request a trade as opposed to asking for time off. Possibly some kind of long-term illness, though, I guess, that his mother might need help with.

Though I guess it's pointless to speculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA