Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VII: Nothing imminent; Cavalry is not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The only teams willing to make a big move right now are teams at the bottom of the standings looking to shake things up. Columbus, Colorado, or Philly seem like possible trade partners to me. Would Philly be interested in Schultz? We gotta trade this guy before we overpay him or kill his value by playing him in a role over his head. I would kill for Simmonds, and even part with Yakupov plus Schultz for him and a pick/prospect.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Perron is most likely out, as much as I hate it. MacT might be done fan-girling over Schultz, so I'd say he could be out and the oilers have been ****ing over Marincin a lot, so i'll say he's probably out too.

Perron+Schultz+Marincin+2nd

for

#2 C + top 4 D

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Lots of talk on the radio in calgary about the oilers. They are seriously obsessed. I havn't listened to the radio in weeks here and low an behold still talking about the oilers today as there were weeks ago. Anyways, here is a little clip of Friedman on their morning show if anyones interested.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/friedman-changes-on-the-horizon-for-oilers/

I wanted to post what I heard this afternoon, Kerr and his side kick absolutely ripped a strip off the oilers organization. It isn't up in their archive yet but when it is I'll post it here . It was actually pretty funny because they certainly didn't hold back.

Oiler fans are equally or more obessed with Calgary as they are doing very well.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Eberle, Fasth, 2015 2nd for Pavelski and Niemi

Perron for Martin, Conditional 3rd

Schultz, 2015 3rd for Anisimov

Nikitin waived

Hall - Pavelski - Yakupov
Pouliot - RNH - Purcell
Pakarainen - Anisimov - Draisaitl
Hendricks - Gordon - Joensuu
Pinizotto

Martin - Fayne
Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Ference

Niemi
Scrivens

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Here is my blow up! I'll try and solidify the blue line and center position longer term…

I'll try and stay somewhat realistic. Think Mac T is in tough and the vultures are circling hope he doesn't get demolished in any trades. If I was him I would trade Perron now since it's clear him and the team have a disconnect, then hope this team gets going and other guy's increase their value. But if he goes full blow-up I would try and do the following.

All these deals ideally done at TDL or the Draft.

Assuming oilers draft where they are now, Obviously Pick McDavid/Eichel

Hall for OEL + Vermette(Extended)

Perron + J. Schultz + '15 2nd rounder for Coburn + B. Schenn

Marincin + pick for Malcolm Subban + Pick

Sign Drew Stafford

Extend Coburn and Neimi

Nikitin + 3rd/B prospect + Fasth for Neimi

Resign Petry

Oilers Line-up going into '15/'16 season

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Mcdavid/Eichel - Vermette/Schenn - Yakupov
Stafford - Vermette/Schenn - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Pinnizotto

OEL - Coburn
Klefbom - Petry
Ference - Fayne

Neimi
Scrivens

With Nurse and Draisaitl still coming.

Line-up longterm would look something like.

Schenn - Mcdavid/Eichel - Yakupov
Draisaitl - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Pouliot - Vermette - Stafford
Wagon - Gordon - Wagon/Fighter

OEL - Coburn
Nurse - Petry
Klefbom - Fayne

Neimi
Subban

Losing Hall hurts but if this year is a top 2 pick easily replaces his offense long term and he is only asset that could return a #1D

A center Depth of McEichel, RNH, Draisaitl, Schenn, Vermette, Gordon. Is drool worthy.

Defense is much improved and a good mix of top end young talent and veteran steadiness with OEL, Nurse, Coburn, Klefbom, Petry, Fayne, Irwin, Ference.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ryan Rishaug

oh yeah.... duh

interesting that rishaug thinks that... would be *fantastic* news if true.... schultz would be addition by subtraction... although one of our LD would have to move over to play the right side, which sucks

personally, i'd be more happy with klefbom on his wrong side than with schultz on his right side... how is that for indictment for schultz?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
oh yeah.... duh

interesting that rishaug thinks that... would be *fantastic* news if true.... schultz would be addition by subtraction... although one of our LD would have to move over to play the right side, which sucks

personally, i'd be more happy with klefbom on his wrong side than with schultz on his right side... how is that for indictment for schultz?

Can't say I blame you for feeling that way about Schultz, I'd probably be happier with Fedun as a full time Oiler than him... :laugh:

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
That's a quick about-face on Schultz, if true.

I wonder if he's been a problem in the room or if he's forcing the Oilers' hand with the kind of hardball he played with Anaheim.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Shauger is convinced MacT is shopping Schultz hard.

Very interesting. Outside of Edmonton, he could have a bit of value.

Second line centre value, though?

Unbelievable news. Best thing I've heard since the Gagner trade.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
That's a quick about-face on Schultz, if true.

I wonder if he's been a problem in the room or if he's forcing the Oilers' hand with the kind of hardball he played with Anaheim.

Perhaps he's not the defenseman they thought he'd be. They've been piling on the minutes and thoroughly disappointed. He's not quarterbacking the powerplay like they thought and his defensive game isn't improving.
Sell high. The rest of the league might not know these things yet.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Judging by other players we've traded after incidents like this, trading Perron would actually get him to speak his mind more than ever

IMO it's stretching things a bit to make what Perron said out to be some sort of "incident", it's nothing near as venomous as what Souray was spouting. It's not like he was naming names or anything.

Anyway, like I stated in another thread I think the talk of him being shopped as some sort of punishment for being uppity is more fan-driven fiction than anything. IMO the more logical reason is that Perron simply has had enough, and has made it known to the Oilers privately that he wouldn't mind a trade.

He was traded here after all, who knows what his thoughts were about coming here. Either way though, I have no problems whatsoever with his effort level and conduct as an Oiler, he's done nothing wrong in that regard. His only sin is in starting this year with a terrible slump. Abrasive as he is, he is being paid to generate offense and he's not delivered on that front. A change of scenery might be just what both he and the Oilers need.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Perhaps he's not the defenseman they thought he'd be. They've been piling on the minutes and thoroughly disappointed. He's not quarterbacking the powerplay like they thought and his defensive game isn't improving.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I'm betting that if he's traded to a team with a solid top pairing, where he can melt back into the trees and be a 3-4 dman, he might turn into the player that 30 teams were fighting to sign not so long ago.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't disagree with any of that, but I'm betting that if he's traded to a team with a solid top pairing, where he can melt back into the trees and be a 3-4 dman, he might turn into the player that 30 teams were fighting to sign not so long ago.

IMO he hasn't lived up to his promise yet and both he and the organization should own some of that. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but if he isn't putting in the work and expects to get paid then I wouldn't be opposed to moving him.

EnthusiasticYak

Mar 7, 2014

If the Oilers know that, you can be sure the rest of the league knows it too.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

I think he has a shot elsewhere but the problem is how he is being used. He isn't being held accountable for awful play. I think this is dividing the team. Why he isn't is anyone's guess, but moving him might solve the problem.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Exactly, his value is still high. Could be the first time this team doesn't wait until a player loses all value to trade him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
IMO it's stretching things a bit to make what Perron said out to be some sort of "incident", it's nothing near as venomous as what Souray was spouting. It's not like he was naming names or anything.

Anyway, like I stated in another thread I think the talk of him being shopped as some sort of punishment for being uppity is more fan-driven fiction than anything. IMO the more logical reason is that Perron simply has had enough, and has made it known to the Oilers privately that he wouldn't mind a trade.

He was traded here after all, who knows what his thoughts were about coming here. Either way though, I have no problems whatsoever with his effort level and conduct as an Oiler, he's done nothing wrong in that regard. His only sin is in starting this year with a terrible slump. Abrasive as he is, he is being paid to generate offense and he's not delivered on that front. A change of scenery might be just what both he and the Oilers need.
Perron's comments were a bit more biting than you suggest. He didn't name names but their was no doubt who he was talking about. He mentioned coaching and also a meaningless pinch. The pinch was an obvious reference to the brain dead play Schultz made on that second goal.

I agree with you that it's possible he had asked to be traded. It wouldn't surprise me if any or all of them have. I still wouldn't discount those comments from being the reason either. I heard what he said live on Friday night and the first thing I thought was that it sounded awfully similar to what Smid said a year ago and he was gone a week later.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Has there ever been a GM to take a bottom 5 NHL team to a playoff team during the season making moves?

These kinda moves need to be made during the summer, not during the season.

This is crap, we can make moves for next season. The 1st thing we need is some NHL calibre defence man. That'd be a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad