Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VII: Nothing imminent; Cavalry is not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This question is ridiculous. You can't just say "yes, trade Eberle". You have to look at what is available in trade too. Are you okay with trading Eberle for a 5th round pick? No? Then you probably shouldn't answer yes to this poll. It all depends on the return we could get. As far as I'm concerned, only one player on this team is not for trade, and we all know who that is.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Bingo!

My only caveat is that CrapT and Eakins need to be gone first. Don't want them making the deals.

Agree. I don't trust them to make the correct changes.

Seems the organization is full of 'yes' men who never have a different opinion. Nikitin? Who do we have as pro-scouts? Was this all based on Howson? Didn't anyone voice an opinion about this player?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Ya, but over all he still looks like a steal on his 6 mill a year contract.

Eberle not so much.

I just think Eberle is a floater. I would get rid of him for a pick well we could. I think trading him changes to culture of the room.

Absolutely ridiculous. I have no great love for Eberle, but if you think trading him for a pick to "change the culture", you have lost the plot as much as this organization.

I think Eberle and change gets you a top pairing D. Not an elite performer, but something from the Buff/Yandle tree.

But you fire the coach before you do any of that.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Get rid of the ****ing morons running the show.

Then look at shaking up the core.

Trade Eberle for a first rounder? Lets trade RNH and Hall for draft picks while we are at it. Kick off another 5 year rebuild while we are at it.

This board is ludicrous. I can't stand this place sometimes. Good job on finding another scape goat everyone. Getting rid of Eberle will definitely make things better. Mhmm yeah. For sure.

Can I ask you something? How does a player who continually commits costly turnovers and still hasn't learned that CHL toe drags don't fly in your books look like a "Steal" at 6 million? Seguin at his cap, Tavares at his cap, and a few others in the league are truly a steal. They also lead their teams to the playoffs... don't ****ing tell me Hall is a steal, he's a piece of trash offensively and defensively, I wouldn't even wipe my ass with him.. he's such a fluke player and I promise as long as this little brat is on this team the oilers will remain bottom dwellers.

Dunno, but seeing these two posts so close together made me chuckle.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
We should trade all our wingers for centres and defence. Then just have excess centres play wing. Keep yak due to value. Trade Perron hall and eberle if we get decent value we would be a better team with the d and center. Wingers dont win games. D and centres do

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Any player you trade for will just instantly fail on this team. I honestly believe even Crosby would suck playing this "system." Fire the stupid coach already.

*M*J*D*

Mar 9, 2003
Regina, Sask, CANADA
I voted yes, however i would also like to see a cpach who is able to get more out of his players.

When MacT came in he said to many players were non-factors on too many nights, when Eberle isn't doing anything offensively he IS a non-factor. I think he might be the guy to trade from the core as Hall and RNH contribute more. Imagine a guy who is making a different during the games that he doesn't score in playing on the top 2 lines? We don't have anyone like that outside of Hall, RNH and Perron.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I voted no. I'd rather fire Eakins first and see how our players perform under a new coach. We can't keep trading players at their lowest value for pennies on the dollar

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Eberle and a large number of the players on this roster are a part of the problem, not a solution to it. Conveniently use Eakins (who needs to go as well) as a scapegoat for the lackadaisical play, apathetic attitude and complete lack of willingness to put in any semblance of effort but the fact is these players for whatever reason are incapable of looking competent at this level.

The shine has worn off. Inexperience, coaching, lack of veteran leadership excuses grew tired a long time ago. These guys suck and need to be moved out before the return is nil. In Eberle's case, that time has already come and passed IMO; the league and our own fans have seen him for what he is. A one dimensional, soft passenger who can't (or won't) adapt or play the game at a consistently high level.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
This question is ridiculous. You can't just say "yes, trade Eberle". You have to look at what is available in trade too. Are you okay with trading Eberle for a 5th round pick? No? Then you probably shouldn't answer yes to this poll. It all depends on the return we could get. As far as I'm concerned, only one player on this team is not for trade, and we all know who that is.

Come on, how do you put that in the poll. makes it to complicated. It goes with out saying that the question implies you trade Eberle if you can get something decent for him.

The question is really, look to trade Eberle or not? Of course you see if you can get anything.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Eberle and a large number of the players on this roster are a part of the problem, not a solution to it. Conveniently use Eakins (who needs to go as well) as a scapegoat for the lackadaisical play, apathetic attitude and complete lack of willingness to put in any semblance of effort but the fact is these players for whatever reason are incapable of looking competent at this level.

The shine has worn off. Inexperience, coaching, lack of veteran leadership excuses grew tired a long time ago. These guys suck and need to be moved out before the return is nil. In Eberle's case, that time has already come and passed IMO; the league and our own fans have seen him for what he is. A one dimensional, soft passenger who can't (or won't) adapt or play the game at a consistently high level.

Ya, its tough, I am starting to really look at the roster though, the core group of young players. You watch Calgary and they compete, to many oilers float out there. I am not saying it would change everything but you have a guy like Yaks working his ass off, Eberle just get points becuase he is with Nuge and Hall. Put yaks there and he gets 70 points. Then fill Yaks spot with another role player, like Pouliot or whatever. Use the extra cap to look for some more D.

Eakins did a fine job in the AHL, coaching doesn't matter that much when players don't exicute. Mac T has done nothing but add to the team. He hasn't been perfect, but, over all I give him a passing grade.

Time to look at the player, I am not saying only Eberle is responsible, but he is at the at the top of the list and you may as well start there.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Nope. Not until a management change happens. You are asking the guys who signed Grebeshkok, Nikitin, etc. to identify guys that can help us and actually get real value for Ebs.

I say wait and let the new guys ( this is my hope) do it because there is no way I trust any of these buffoons to do it properly.

Trading Ebs makes sense, but it looks to me like it would be done to try and help Eakins be successful. That's not going to happen.

Katz need to clean house before a move like this is done. These guys have had their chances. Why would you trust such an important move to these idiots?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unless it's a deal the Oilers win overwhelmingly I would say no. Because he's been playing hurt this year we are dealing from a position of weakness and won't get great value for him now.

I want to see what this group can do with a competent coach and better management, the last two hires were both poor ones with rookie coaches.

Also the last goal the Oilers scored that was "mostly" Eberle was the last Hall goal, he created that basically on his own by shifting the D on the PP which allowed Hall to finally get open in the slot and delivered the pass to him.

Also Mac T/Lowe should have no input on if any of the core players are dealt. It's beyond obvious neither know what they're doing, what are the odds we actually win a trade orchestrated by those two bozos while trading from a position of weakness?

I want to see Yakupov prove he can actually beat an NHL goalie with his shot right now too ... because even when he gets it off I'm not seeing any finish from him. He shoots it either wide or right into the goalie. I hate to say it but he might be a borderline bust.

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
One point every 3 games or so is a huge part of the problem from a first overall pick. Dont give me the BS that he doesnt get the icetime or play with the right people, he's never shown consistency or chemistry with anyone here.

Don't give me BS of what a first overall should be doing with less than 3 seasons worth of games and act as if he hasn't gotten better when he's SIGNIFICANTLY improved his game compared to the previous two seasons.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't give me BS of what a first overall should be doing with less than 3 seasons worth of games and act as if he hasn't gotten better when he's SIGNIFICANTLY improved his game compared to the previous two seasons.

Defensively he's transitioned to horrible defensively to at least "OK" this year.

But offensively he still looks very lost to me.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'd be up for trading anyone except Nuge at this point (barring an upgrade at C obviously, but that goes without saying), even Hall. However I think Eberle is far and away our best trade chip in terms of what a deal like that could do for us. Honestly I don't think we'd miss him very much if we could get a good player back. If Eberle would just bring a little more consistency and effort, especially in the defensive zone he'd be a great player but right now he's just a soft one-dimensional winger. I wonder if another coach (think Ken Hitchcock) could bring that out in him because he really could be one of the best players in the league if he wanted to. So either we get a real experienced coach and see what happens or we trade him now. A major shakeup is absolutely needed for this team.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Unless it's a deal the Oilers win overwhelmingly I would say no. Because he's been playing hurt this year we are dealing from a position of weakness and won't get great value for him now.

I want to see what this group can do with a competent coach and better management, the last two hires were both poor ones with rookie coaches.

Also the last goal the Oilers scored that was "mostly" Eberle was the last Hall goal, he created that basically on his own by shifting the D on the PP which allowed Hall to finally get open in the slot and delivered the pass to him.

Also Mac T/Lowe should have no input on if any of the core players are dealt. It's beyond obvious neither know what they're doing, what are the odds we actually win a trade orchestrated by those two bozos while trading from a position of weakness?

I want to see Yakupov prove he can actually beat an NHL goalie with his shot right now too ... because even when he gets it off I'm not seeing any finish from him. He shoots it either wide or right into the goalie. I hate to say it but he might be a borderline bust.

How do you know he is hurt? he wouldn't be playing if he was hurt. Every one has minor injuries of some form or another, no excuse.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

The thing is I get the displasure with management, however a few things are clear. Weight Mac T's record as a whole. He also signed Fayne and grabbed Perron for next to nothing. He went out and got Fasth and Scrivens which are upgrades on Dubnyk (I don't care that he has had a few good games in a row). Eakins might not be the coach of the future and perhaps they should can him, but come on, the guy was a great coach in the AHL. At some point people have to stop majically thinking as long as Lowe is in the building the oilers have an excuse to suck on the ice. Lowe hasn't done anything for a while, Mac T has added to the team since he took over. Eakins job should be on the line, but he isn't a terrible coach.

The players are responsible at some point, Eberle gets 20 mins a game and does nothing more than get points from hall and nuge. He takes way to many nights off. Let yak take his job and at least give him a shot as a top line winger. I am not saying it is the whole solution but it is a start.

ps. you have to realize we have no shot of making the playoffs, so at this point you have to look at getting just picks back for ebs. When you have Mcdavid and Eichel in the draft it would be stupid to try and add to the team now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The thing is I get the displasure with management, however a few things are clear. Weight Mac T's record as a whole. He also signed Fayne and grabbed Perron for next to nothing. He went out and got Fasth and Scrivens which are upgrades on Dubnyk (I don't care that he has had a few good games in a row). Eakins might not be the coach of the future and perhaps they should can him, but come on, the guy was a great coach in the AHL. At some point people have to stop majically thinking as long as Lowe is in the building the oilers have an excuse to suck on the ice. Lowe hasn't done anything for a while, Mac T has added to the team since he took over. Eakins job should be on the line, but he isn't a terrible coach.

The players are responsible at some point, Eberle gets 20 mins a game and does nothing more than get points from hall and nuge. He takes way to many nights off. Let yak take his job and at least give him a shot as a top line winger. I am not saying it is the whole solution but it is a start.

ps. you have to realize we have no shot of making the playoffs, so at this point you have to look at getting just picks back for ebs. When you have Mcdavid and Eichel in the draft it would be stupid to try and add to the team now.

Giordano - Undrafted

Brodie - 4th round pick

Gaudreau - 4th round pick

Byron - 6th round pick developed by Calgary, 5 goals, would be tied with RNH for second on the Oilers

Jooris - Undrafted, 4 goals, would be third on the Oilers in goals.

Bouwma - 3rd round pick, 5 goals, would be tied with RNH for 2nd on Oilers

Mason Raymond - Reasonable UFA signing, 5 goals in 10 games, would be tied for 2nd in goals in EDM.

Jonas Hiller - Reasonable UFA signing, better than any goalie the Oilers have had since Roloson.

These are all players they got for essentially *nothing* or on par/lower than market value.

How's Mac T/Lowe/Tambellini look now? It's up to management to make these types of deal and find these types of players to fill a team out. Lets look at ours now ...

Lander - Bust, can't even make the roster

Pitlick - Bust, can't even make the roster

Marincin - OK, but overrated by Oiler fans

Pouliot - Overpaid

Purcell - Overpaid

Perron (via MPS) - Great first year, not so great this year.

Fayne - OK signing.

Nikitin - Bust signing. Could have had Stralman or Boychuk.

Fasth - Bust so far.

Scrivens - OK occassionally, unlikely a defacto no.1.

Arcobello - Decent find, not suitable for no.2 C role though.

Joensuu - OK.

Not good enough.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Giordano - Undrafted

Brodie - 4th round pick

Gaudreau - 4th round pick

Byron - 6th round pick developed by Calgary, 5 goals, would be tied with RNH for second on the Oilers

Jooris - Undrafted, 4 goals, would be third on the Oilers in goals.

Bouwma - 3rd round pick, 5 goals, would be tied with RNH for 2nd on Oilers

Mason Raymond - Reasonable UFA signing, 5 goals in 10 games, would be tied for 2nd in goals in EDM.

Jonas Hiller - Reasonable UFA signing, better than any goalie the Oilers have had since Roloson.

How's Mac T/Lowe/Tambellini look now? It's up to management to make these types of deal and find these types of players to fill a team out. Lets look at ours now ...

Lander - Bust, can't even make the roster

Pitlick - Bust, can't even make the roster

Marincin - OK, but overrated by Oiler fans

Pouliot - Overpaid

Purcell - Overpaid

Perron (via MPS) - Great first year, not so great this year.

Fayne - OK signing.

Nikitin - Bust signing. Could have had Stralman or Boychuk.

Fasth - Bust so far.

Scrivens - OK occassionally, unlikely a defacto no.1.

Arcobello - Decent find, not suitable for no.2 C role though.

Come on! first of all Calgary is off to a hot start, they will skid big time coming up. They have done a good job of finding some late round players. Gadreau especially, but how does that change what the oilers need to do with regards to Ebs??

ps. your also leaving out Hendriks, Gordon, Joenssu. He has filled the team with some good role players. It is the top 6 that isn't living up to expectations. and ps Perron was a great trade. Even with a slow start he is a 25 goald 50 point guy who plays with grit, for 3.5 mill and locked up, great deal.

Jul 19, 2012
I voted yes as that, Hall and RNH are really the only players that will yield a reasonable return.

That said, this dumpster fire of an organization needs blowing up. Everything else is window dressing.

It has to start at the top, Lowe/MacT/Howson, replace them first. Then let the new management team decide on coaching. Its too much to change management and coaches mid season and I expect a blind man and his dogs would turf the entire coaching staff including assistants and goalie coaches but in the summer when coaches are more available.

Then let the re-rebuild commence with some clear direction and focus on the kind of players who win hockey games, players with some heart and desire and not just top scorers.

So, this team is so devolved that trading Eberle is a bandaid that will simply leave another long term scar underneath.

Now I have to go roast some wieners on my dumpster fire.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

He's scoring less than Sam Gagner right now, a guy we ditched for nothing. He's not helping this team win games, there's no way to question it.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I voted yes, but he should not just be traded for anything. Get some sort of reasonable value for him.

jmco

Jan 25, 2013
Not until management is replaced. Can't trust the idiots in charge to make a real hockey trade.

This! so we trade eberle and turn the trade into nothing, Just like the Visnovsky trade & torres trades. This management cannot manage the assets we have. Change the mgmt first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00