Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Does Deadline Day Hold in Store for the Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Canucks scream 2022 Flames to me.

Same thing happened with them. Ran through the season without much of a problem on the back of outlier career years from basically everyone, beat contending teams (I want to say they might have even been 3-0 against the Avalanche that year), and were starting to schedule their team jet for travel in June.

Looking back in time, the "oh wow they came out of nowhere and now they're the best team in the league" teams almost (maybe even every time) never go anywhere. The teams that have an established presence as an elite team are the ones that always win it in the end.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

This stuff is adorable to me.

Skinner 2023-24

30-13-3
2.57 gaa
.907 sv%
2 shutouts

I mean. This is just as much of a poor take as the NHL network tweet.

To really define reliability, you need to define the most common performance, the average game to game or even play to play variance and repeatability of performance.

Season wide averages and records don't really mean much in terms of reliability. You can get a .910 sv% on the year in many ways; for example (a) having 50 straight .910 sv% games or (b) having 25 .890 games and 25 .930 games, (c) 10 .890 games and 30 .910 games and 10 .930 games, etc.

The goaltender with (a) would be much more reliable than goaltender (c) which would be more reliable than goaltender (b) as a general rule.

Also worth noting that reliability doesn't necessarily define good - goaltender (b) might win you the most games out of the three if you simulate the same season thousands of times despite being inarguably the least reliable.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Lol... interesting photo choice. He's not even centered in the net and the puck must have just rebounded up above his head and he hasn't found it yet.

I mean there are also pucks in the net, looks to me like it's warm-ups and lots of guys are shooting.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Canucks scream 2022 Flames to me.

Same thing happened with them. Ran through the season without much of a problem on the back of outlier career years from basically everyone, beat contending teams (I want to say they might have even been 3-0 against the Avalanche that year), and were starting to schedule their team jet for travel in June.

Looking back in time, the "oh wow they came out of nowhere and now they're the best team in the league" teams almost (maybe even every time) never go anywhere. The teams that have an established presence as an elite team are the ones that always win it in the end.
I think they get eliminated in round 1. It's the first playoff for most of their core players and they're a small team that will get grinded out over a 7 game series.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I mean there are also pucks in the net, looks to me like it's warm-ups and lots of guys are shooting.

Fair enough. Still doesn't really explain the positioning, but yeah... I suppose you can get wandering when six guys are coming at you at once.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Playoff bracket if it started today from MGM Betting.

nhl brack.png

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Those brackets are not correct. The Oilers and Kings would be in the same half of the bracket as the Canucks.
I am pretty sure that bracket is correct.
With a combined WC....1st place Canucks play the team in the 2nd Wildcard spot and the 2nd place Avalanche play the team in the 1st wildcard spot.
Then the remaining teams....2nd and 3rd place in each division...play each other.

Thats how I understand things will work.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I am pretty sure that bracket is correct.
With a combined WC....1st place Canucks play the team in the 2nd Wildcard spot and the 2nd place Avalanche play the team in the 1st wildcard spot.
Then the remaining teams....2nd and 3rd place in each division...play each other.

Thats how I understand things will work.
That part is correct. The part that is wrong is that the second and third place teams play in the part of the bracket with their division winner.

Reactions: MessierThanThou

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That part is correct. The part that is wrong is that the second and third place teams play in the part of the bracket with their division winner.
Ah...so it remains within the division for at least the first 2 rounds then?

That means Vancouver plays Vegas and Colorado plays Nashiville...the Oilers play the Kings and the Jets play Dallas.
Then the winners of those rounds play again within the division.
Then the winner of each divison play each other for the Conference final.
Sounds right.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Ah...so it remains within the division for at least the first 2 rounds then?

That means Vancouver plays Vegas and Colorado plays Nashiville...the Oilers play the Kings and the Jets play Dallas.
Then the winners of those rounds play again within the division.
Then the winner of each divison play each other for the Conference final.
Sounds right.
As of right now yes. The one wrinkle is that the WC teams could switch conferences. So it could be something like Vancouver/Nashville Edmonton/LA Avs/Vegas Stars/Jets. Then the winner of the Vancouver/ Nashville series would play the winner of the Edmonton/LA series etc. As such we could see a second round of Edmonton/Nashville Jets/Vegas for example.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Way too early for that. Need to see how they fit in the rest of the way thru the playoffs.
If we wait that long to extend Henrique, and he does well, it will cost more. I suppose we looked at an extension while his value dipped a bit to try to low-ball him and see if he'd be okay with it to join a contender. Maybe it would be a bit of security too in case his value falls like a lot of other forwards past 30 do. From our end, extending him also salvages value from the lost 1st rounder.

This game vs Colorado might be a fulcrum point for him. He was starting to show something in that last game, and that might have got the ball rolling. Either he rises to the occasion against this more legit opponent or he gets exposed

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If we wait that long to extend Henrique, and he does well, it will cost more. I suppose we looked at an extension while his value dipped a bit to try to low-ball him and see if he'd be okay with it to join a contender. Maybe it would be a bit of security too in case his value falls like a lot of other forwards past 30 do. From our end, extending him also salvages value from the lost 1st rounder.

This game vs Colorado might be a fulcrum point for him. He was starting to show something in that last game, and that might have got the ball rolling. Either he rises to the occasion against this more legit opponent or he gets exposed
Gotta wait and see what he does during the playoffs before you can gauge his worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad