Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Does Deadline Day Hold in Store for the Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You should this nonsense.

Matthews has *checks notes...* 54 goals lol.

Ha - good lord.

If the NHL ever wants to actually build out their in house media presence, they have to stop treating it as a propaganda arm of the NHL run by neophytes and actually have it operate as a independently managed entity. NFL and MLB have in house media arms and in each of those cases you actually hear real, valuable analysis and even pointed criticisms of teams players, and the league itself.

You feel like you're watching a North Korean news broadcast watching the NHL network. Hell, even independent media rights holders seem to tip toe around well deserved scrutiny of officials, department of player safety, etc. Nobody ever calls anything like it is. I was frankly stunned to see Bissonette suggest Vegas was picking with LTIR on air recently, you know for a fact he got a call from Gary after that.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Foegele's money to Henrique would be a good swap imo. Don't know how much of a cut Henrique will take, or what his next deal would look like either.

Also agree it's too early to tell and should probably wait to see how the playoffs go.

This stuff is adorable to me.

Skinner 2023-24

30-13-3
2.57 gaa
.907 sv%
2 shutouts

He has been pretty reliable for them though. Given the workload. I don't think there's a lot of goalies that can handle playing that many games, plus playoffs. Sure he isn't a world beater.

Think it goes to show Skinner is underappreciated a bit.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

This stuff is adorable to me.

Skinner 2023-24

30-13-3
2.57 gaa
.907 sv%
2 shutouts

Quality Starts Percentage (QS%) measures the percentage of starts that the goalie posts a sv% that is league average or above, or has a sv% of .880+ on 20 or less shots. Typically >.600 is considered good and <.500 is considered bad.

This year:
Skinner .630
Georgiev .442

Last Year:
Skinner .604
Georgiev .661

There is a strong argument that he has not been nearly as consistent this year. The good news for him is that Colorado can outscore bad nights between the pipes.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Quality Starts Percentage (QS%) measures the percentage of starts that the goalie posts a sv% that is league average or above, or has a sv% of .880+ on 20 or less shots. Typically >.600 is considered good and <.500 is considered bad.

Skinner .630
Georgiev .442

Thank you I was worried about that for Skinner, but no he's been better than Georgiev without question.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I kmow that this wont be a popular take on here but I think this years Vancouver team is a very good team. I have watched them a fair bit (I need to pick my friends better...lol) and they have a lot of fight in them. Its not too often that they get outworked and IMO Demko is one of the best goalies in the NHL. Hughes is also a Makar level talent IMO. Petersson is a legit star player and their defence is solid.
They have a better defence and better goaltending than the Oilers do.
If the Oilers play them and take them lightly that will be a major problem.

I agree. Oilers fans seem to have Canucks blinders on. Mid point season everyone was using fancy stats to predict their demise but here we are. They are a very good team

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I kmow that this wont be a popular take on here but I think this years Vancouver team is a very good team. I have watched them a fair bit (I need to pick my friends better...lol) and they have a lot of fight in them. Its not too often that they get outworked and IMO Demko is one of the best goalies in the NHL. Hughes is also a Makar level talent IMO. Petersson is a legit star player and their defence is solid.
They have a better defence and better goaltending than the Oilers do.
If the Oilers play them and take them lightly that will be a major problem.

I don’t imagine the Oilers are going to take the division leaders lightly. Especially after having lost to them earlier in the season three times.

It’s probably the Canucks who are going to need to not take the Oilers easy.

They had the lucky fortune of playing the Oilers 3 times before the coaching change when they couldn’t get a save from any of their goalies and the offense wasn’t firing.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don’t imagine the Oilers are going to take the division leaders lightly. Especially after having lost to them earlier in the season three times.

They had the lucky fortune of playing the Oilers 3 times before the coaching change when they couldn’t get a save from any of their goalies and the offense wasn’t firing.
And both McDavid and Ekholm were injured.

Reactions: brentashton

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I agree. Oilers fans seem to have Canucks blinders on. Mid point season everyone was using fancy stats to predict their demise but here we are. They are a very good team
I think they are a very good team but they also have playoff implosion written all over them imo. Fancy stats don’t mean everything but they mean something.

We will see come playoffs what they are actually made of.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Fair point.
I am actually looking forward to the game on April 13th. A new and improved version of this team gets an opportunity to change the narrative on how the first 3 games went.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
For sure, I agree, but to assume 75 when he's 21 goals away with 18 games left is stupid frankly.
To be fair the other side of the hypothetical has the Oilers making up 9 points on the Canucks and McDavid making up 9 points on Mackinnon.

I’m not sure both those happening is all that much more likely than Matthews scoring 21 goals in his next 18.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Incredible to look back and be reminded of the fact that the Canucks outscored the Oilers 18-6 in the first 3 games this season.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Foegele's money to Henrique would be a good swap imo. Don't know how much of a cut Henrique will take, or what his next deal would look like either.

Also agree it's too early to tell and should probably wait to see how the playoffs go.

He has been pretty reliable for them though. Given the workload. I don't think there's a lot of goalies that can handle playing that many games, plus playoffs. Sure he isn't a world beater.

Think it goes to show Skinner is underappreciated a bit.
People here don't follow other teams as closely as they do the Oilers, so they see every mistake Skinner makes and make mountains out of mole hills and don't realize that every goalie in the history of the hockey since the start of the universe make mistakes, almost every game as well.

They get pissed off if a first shot is let in, but go silent when the next 24 don't. They get used to mechanics of how Skinner moves and his amplify his weaknesses ( im guilty of this too, i.e lateral movement) but don't follow other goalies as closely and on a regular basis to see that other goalies have flaws as well. You just hear about someone having a good night or putting good numbers and the myth kind of grows from there as it gets parroted over social media, broadcasts and "watercooler" talk.

This season we have put the best defensive numbers and really good goaltending numbers but all people talk about his Skinner giving up 2 goals on the first two shots of a game he ended up with a .920 Sv%. They are so quick to point a fault or mistake as being on Skinner and forget it's a team game. The goalie is the last line of Defense and outside of the first month of the season Skinner has stepped up and done amazing for us.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Couldn't have been more of disaster, but they fought back.
They sure did.

Interesting to note....

Last nights game for Skinner really couldnt have started worse but to his credit he completely turned it around. That doesnt happen without some serious mental toughness.
That turnaround happened at or near the one quarter mark of the hockey game.

Skinners game last night is a microcosm of the Oilers season.
The team really couldnt have been much worse in the first quarter of the season but they did a complete 180 and turned their game around in the biggest way possible.
From a team persepctive that shows some serious mental toughness.

These are very positive signs IMO for this team and for Skinner heading into the playoffs.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
People here don't follow other teams as closely as they do the Oilers, so they see every mistake Skinner makes and make mountains out of mole hills and don't realize that every goalie in the history of the hockey since the start of the universe make mistakes, almost every game as well.

They get pissed off if a first shot is let in, but go silent when the next 24 don't. They get used to mechanics of how Skinner moves and his amplify his weaknesses ( im guilty of this too, i.e lateral movement) but don't follow other goalies as closely and on a regular basis to see that other goalies have flaws as well. You just hear about someone having a good night or putting good numbers and the myth kind of grows from there as it gets parroted over social media, broadcasts and "watercooler" talk.

This season we have put the best defensive numbers and really good goaltending numbers but all people talk about his Skinner giving up 2 goals on the first two shots of a game he ended up with a .920 Sv%. They are so quick to point a fault or mistake as being on Skinner and forget it's a team game. The goalie is the last line of Defense and outside of the first month of the season Skinner has stepped up and done amazing for us.

Skinner is a blocking style goalie so he isn't going to move in the same way as a mobile style goalie like Saros.

What people need to learn is that just because a goalie is different doesn't mean he's terrible or less effective.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
RDT_20240315_0821333387449347633285671.png

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad