Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Does Deadline Day Hold in Store for the Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I don't get the haters piling on Henrique. It's not a good look for them. Henrique has played 893 regular season games with 521 points as a 2 way center. He managed to be a plus player on a bad team.

By contrast AA had played 294 games when he was traded here with 154 points. He was also known for his speed but not his defence. He was a -45 the year he was traded here.

AA doesnt have the same track record, experience and skill set that Henrique has. Henrique is also versatile and can play anywhere. AA was a puck hog that didn't use his teammates and could never find chemistry.
Yeah his first two games he looked a little lost. How is that a f***ing surprise ? He just joined the team. The Pittsburgh game he looked much more comfortable and a lot more assertive. The depth he brings to the lineup shouldn’t be underestimated.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yeah his first two games he looked a little lost. How is that a f***ing surprise ? He just joined the team. The Pittsburgh game he looked much more comfortable and a lot more assertive. The depth he brings to the lineup shouldn’t be underestimated.
The real value of these players will be determined in the playoffs. There is a reason why the trade deadline happens 20 games before the end of the regular season.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Not only did he just join the team, but the group he joined chose to welcome him by playing the dumbest, laziest hockey possible around him. I also thought he had a good game against the Penguins.

I'm not sure Crosby looks good if he was thrown into those particular two games with this group.

Reactions: McDoused

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But the Jets are so Hellebuyck....I mean good, so gooalie. Sorry I just can't.
Winnipeg is a wild card for me especially in terms of their offence. They have already proven that they can play very tight defence and when you combine that with Hellebuyck its formidable.
If they can generate enough offence then they will be a very hard team to beat.
The one thing they dont have is a game breaking superstar.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Winnipeg is a wild card for me especially in terms of their offence. They have already proven that they can play very tight defence and when you combine that with Hellebuyck its formidable.
This is fair, they have been much more consistent this year and if that offence can break through they'll be tough, I just don't see them much beyond tight defense and hoping for perfect Hellebuyck.

They remind me of Vancouver with like one Sedin.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is fair, they have been much more consistent this year and if that offence can break through they'll be tough, I just don't see them much beyond tight defense and hoping for perfect Hellebuyck.

They remind me of Vancouver with like one Sedin.
I kmow that this wont be a popular take on here but I think this years Vancouver team is a very good team. I have watched them a fair bit (I need to pick my friends better...lol) and they have a lot of fight in them. Its not too often that they get outworked and IMO Demko is one of the best goalies in the NHL. Hughes is also a Makar level talent IMO. Petersson is a legit star player and their defence is solid.
They have a better defence and better goaltending than the Oilers do.
If the Oilers play them and take them lightly that will be a major problem.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Vegas didn't really either. In a vacuum I'd take Kyle Connor's scoring ability over Marchessault or any other Vegas forward. Eichel is a bit better than Schiefele but Hellebyuck is miles better than Hill. I'd worry about the Jets if we were in the Central. I remember when Hellebyuck single handed-ly beat us that COVID year

Reactions: GOilers88

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Vegas didn't really either. In a vacuum I'd take Kyle Connor's scoring ability over Marchessault or any other Vegas forward. Eichel is a bit better than Schiefele but Hellebyuck is miles better than Hill. I'd worry about the Jets if we were in the Central. I remember when Hellebyuck single handed-ly beat us that COVID year
The thing about Vegas is that they are very well coached and they know how to win.
They IMO have a very good defensive system and the players follow it to a T.
Thats why they were able to rotate through 5 or 6 goalies last season and didnt miss a beat.
Didnt matter if it was Hill or not.
Now (after adding Hannifin) they have one of the best defences in the NHL. I also think that Eichel is a fair bit better than any forward on the Jets roster.

The upside is that the Knights have an older team and they seem to look a little battle weary to me. Not surprising considering what it takes to win a SC.
I think that they are ripe for a 1st round knockout.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree with this.
Its also noteworthy that Henrique has had a few instances of scoring big time goals for his team.
He seems to elevate his play when the moment calls for it and not many players can do that.
I expect his true value to show in the playoffs.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The thing about Vegas is that they are very well coached and they know how to win.
They IMO have a very good defensive system and the players follow it to a T.
Thats why they were able to rotate through 5 or 6 goalies last season and didnt miss a beat.
Didnt matter if it was Hill or not.
Now (after adding Hannifin) they have one of the best defences in the NHL. I also think that Eichel is a fair bit better than any forward on the Jets roster.

The upside is that the Knights have an older team and they seem to look a little battle weary to me. Not surprising considering what it takes to win a SC.
I think that they are ripe for a 1st round knockout.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a Vegas vs Jets, who's better? discussion. I'd take Vegas as well. Am just pointing out why the Jets shouldn't be underestimated. Hill didn't need to be as good as Helly is. That being said, there's more than one way to skin a cat and that Bowness has also proven to be a fantastic coach

Reactions: GOilers88

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wasn't trying to turn this into a Vegas vs Jets, who's better? discussion. I'd take Vegas as well. Am just pointing out why the Jets shouldn't be underestimated. Hill didn't need to be as good as Helly is. That being said, there's more than one way to skin a cat and that Bowness has also proven to be a fantastic coach
I agree.
I guess I can sum up my position by saying that I dont think that there are really any weak links when it comes to the top 6 teams in the WC this season.
Its going to be an extremely tough grind for a team to make it out of the West.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I agree.
I guess I can sum up my position by saying that I dont think that there are really any weak links when it comes to the top 6 teams in the WC this season.
Its going to be an extremely tough grind for a team to make it out of the West.

Absolutely. I think the media has been overemphasizing the West "beating each other up" by the time it gets to the Finals, but I actually think it will be to the disadvantage of whoever comes out of the East. Take a Florida or Hurricanes for instance. If their path is relatively stress free for the first few rounds and make it out unscathed, the last team you want to face is the team that's been playing at a level that just outworked 3 of Colorado/Vegas/Edmonton/Dallas/Vancouver/Jets.

The two teams will be at a whole different level of compete and I believe that played a big factor against Florida last year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I kmow that this wont be a popular take on here but I think this years Vancouver team is a very good team. I have watched them a fair bit (I need to pick my friends better...lol) and they have a lot of fight in them. Its not too often that they get outworked and IMO Demko is one of the best goalies in the NHL. Hughes is also a Makar level talent IMO. Petersson is a legit star player and their defence is solid.
I mean sure, but they're shooting 20% and haven't had to deal with anything resembling adversity. I just don't see it, other than you can't takeaway what they've done, they've had a great year

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean sure, but they're shooting 20% and haven't had to deal with anything resembling adversity. I just don't see it, other than you can't takeaway what they've done, they've had a great year
Yeah for sure that will cool off but they still have a good team.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Foegele's playing like a top 6 forward right now. The boy will get paid in the off-season if he shows up well in the playoffs. Is as good as gone in the summer, imho.

We'll see. Didn't age well and Toffoli would have been nice... ce la vie.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
For having a better goalie and defense, the goals against show these teams are fairly similar.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Would be nice to sign Henrique to a deal that sees his caphit come down as he settles into a third line C role going forward. Carrick to a lesser extent as well. I'd also be open to bringing Brown back on a league minimum contract to play on the fourth line.

Nuge - Mcdavid - Hyman ($23,125,000)
Mcleod - Drai - Kane - ($15,725,000)
Holloway(?) - Henrique (?) - Lavoie/Bourgault (?)
Brown (?) - Carrick (?) - _____ (?)
Ryan ($900,000)

Ekholm Bouchard ($9,900,000)
Nurse Ceci ($12,500,000)
Kulak ($2,750,000) Desharnais (?)
______ (?)

Skinner ($2,600,000)
Campbell ($5,000,000)

$69,750,000

Cap is estimated to go to 87.7M next season, so that leaves us with

$17,950,000

less $1,916,667 from the Neal Buyout
and $3,225,000 from the Brown bonus carryover

So
$12,808,333 to be split among:

Henrique
Holloway
Lavoie/Bourgault
Brown
Carrick
4th line Winger
Desharnais
7th Dman

Definitely doable for next season given salary expectations for the listed players/positions, but any upgrades at D or RW would need salary going out as well.

I would bet they give Campbell another shot next year before considering a buyout. They'll also have to limit commitments beyond next season, as the offseason going into 2025-2026 is going to be difficult. That offseason is going to determine the next 5 years minimum of Oilers hockey with Drai and Bouchard both needing new contracts with big raises, and Mcleod as a darkhorse candidate for a big raise if his production continues.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Would be nice to sign Henrique to a deal that sees his caphit come down as he settles into a third line C role going forward. Carrick to a lesser extent as well. I'd also be open to bringing Brown back on a league minimum contract to play on the fourth line.

Nuge - Mcdavid - Hyman ($23,125,000)
Mcleod - Drai - Kane - ($15,725,000)
Holloway(?) - Henrique (?) - Lavoie/Bourgault (?)
Brown (?) - Carrick (?) - _____ (?)
Ryan ($900,000)

Ekholm Bouchard ($9,900,000)
Nurse Ceci ($12,500,000)
Kulak ($2,750,000) Desharnais (?)
______ (?)

Skinner ($2,600,000)
Campbell ($5,000,000)

$69,750,000

Cap is estimated to go to 87.7M next season, so that leaves us with

$17,950,000

less $1,916,667 from the Neal Buyout
and $3,225,000 from the Brown bonus carryover

So
$12,808,333 to be split among:

Henrique
Holloway
Lavoie/Bourgault
Brown
Carrick
4th line Winger
Desharnais
7th Dman

Definitely doable for next season given salary expectations for the listed players/positions, but any upgrades at D or RW would need salary going out as well.

I would bet they give Campbell another shot next year before considering a buyout. They'll also have to limit commitments beyond next season, as the offseason going into 2025-2026 is going to be difficult. That offseason is going to determine the next 5 years minimum of Oilers hockey with Drai and Bouchard both needing new contracts with big raises, and Mcleod as a darkhorse candidate for a big raise if his production continues.

I really hope we can somehow, someway get extensions done with Drai and Bouchard this offseason. I think it's very important for management to have clarity on two of the three big pieces so that they can actually plan beyond 2026 without shooting ourselves in the foot.

Reactions: Oilhawks and belair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad