Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Does Deadline Day Hold in Store for the Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
I think they get eliminated in round 1. It's the first playoff for most of their core players and they're a small team that will get grinded out over a 7 game series.
They're like NJD but with better D and elite G. They have so much speed on every line. Contrast to us being the oldest and probably slowest team out of all of the so-called contenders. I believe they won't make it out of the west, but they do have the ability to just outgun teams if demko is healthy and on top of his game.

It'll be really interesting to see how our gamble of age over youth plays out this year. I'm worried that we just dont have enough speed and depth skill in our bottom 6 and d-core. We can make it far if McDrai and Skinner pop off, though.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Oh I agree, I just thought they would give them a free buyout.

IMO it's a pretty easy decision for the league to make that "looks good" and doesn't really harm the Hawks. As a planned lotto or bubble team for the next few seasons (I would suspect at least that long), they don't really need the cap. It also looks good for the league by making sure there is a cap penalty and that they are "being fair". This is entirely unlike the situation with the Oilers and the Keith recapture situation, in which a playoff team needed every penny of cap they could get, but of course, get shafted.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
They're like NJD but with better D and elite G. They have so much speed on every line. Contrast to us being the oldest and probably slowest team out of all of the so-called contenders. I believe they won't make it out of the west, but they do have the ability to just outgun teams if demko is healthy and on top of his game.

It'll be really interesting to see how our gamble of age over youth plays out this year. I'm worried that we just dont have enough speed and depth skill in our bottom 6 and d-core. We can make it far if McDrai and Skinner pop off, though.
Us being a slow team is just non sense. Just looking at the numbers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If he and Carrick are useful in the playoffs it was a great deadline acquisition whether he re-signs or not though.
That's true, and ultimately I am in favor of being a bit conservative. The last time Holland rolled the dice, we got saddled with the Campbell deal.

We should be a bit confident that we could sign good free agents, attracted to a good team with two superstars

But, Holland has shown that he likes gambling to find a great player on an affordable a deal, so I see the logic in signing a guy while his value is low, if you have faith in him

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Us being a slow team is just non sense. Just looking at the numbers.
I don't get that either. It's a couple slow guys like Perry and Kane, and some fringe roster guys like Ryan and Gagner. We have speedy guys in McDavid, McLeod, Foegele, Holloway. We have good skaters like Drai, Hyman, RNH, Janmark, Brown. The defense has some speed too like Nurse and Kulak. Only Desharnais stands out as slow there.

Not sure on the new guys.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't get that either. It's a couple slow guys like Perry and Kane, and some fringe roster guys like Ryan and Gagner. We have speedy guys in McDavid, McLeod, Foegele, Holloway. We have good skaters like Drai, Hyman, RNH, Janmark, Brown. The defense has some speed too like Nurse and Kulak. Only Desharnais stands out as slow there.

Based on what I have seen from Henrique and Carrick so far I would say that Henrique is slow and Carrick is close to average although I havent seen Carrick very much at all.
I am not as concerned with a players speed provided he understand his defensive resposibilites and he knows where to be on the ice. IMO Henrique definitely falls into that catagory.
I also wouldnt say that Kane is a slow skater. He certaily isnt fast off the mark but at full speed I think that he is at least an average skater.

In terms of what Knoblauch is running against the Avs....

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
McLeod - Draisaitl - Foegele
Kane - Henrique - Brown
Janmark - Carrick - Perry

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Desharnais
Kulak - Ceci

The only slow skaters at forward IMO are Henrique and Perry and their lack of speed is being offset by their defensive smarts and by at least one good skating winger on their line.

On D the only player with potential mobility issues is Deharnais but to his credit he is much better (than he was last season) at processing the play and making a good decision with the puck.
Bouchard (like Kane) isnt a very fast player off the mark but his top speed is just fine.
I also think that Hyman doesnt get enough credit for how quick he really is.
Especially on the forecheck.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I don't want the Oilers to sign Henrique or Carrick unless they perform. If they show that they belong after the Post season, then absolutely. No freebies like Campbell. Contracts are earned. That's also if we have the cap space as well. Next Season is a big year in regards to Drai being in a contract year.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I don't want the Oilers to sign Henrique or Carrick unless they perform. If they show that they belong after the Post season, then absolutely. No freebies like Campbell. Contracts are earned. That's also if we have cap the space as well. Next Season is a big year in regards to Drai being in a contract year.
Lots of optimism about Henrique so far. I don't see it. He was brought in for some depth scoring and he hasn't provided it while looking slow.

I guess he if he doesn't get scored on 5v5 that is of some value, but not worthy of a first round pick.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Not sure where you get that Kane is slow. I think he has pretty good wheels. Maybe not the best puckhandler at full speed, but he can certainly get from A to B in decent time.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Jack Campbell with another shutout tonight. 29 shots against this time.

Up to a .920 SV% on the season. He's the best player on the Condors and it's not even close.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Looks like he got his confidence back. He hired some sort of life coach too

Wish the best for the guy, I really do, as he seems like a solid human. The last 18 months must have been pretty terrible for him on a personal level.

That being said, I still can't see any way whatsoever that we don't buy him out this offseason. Even if you think he can come back and be a 1B next year, a buyout saves you 3.9 million in cap year next. You can get a 1B for less than 3.9 on the open market. Admittedly, that number goes down to 2.7 and 2.4 in the subsequent 2 years, but I would still guess that you can get a 1B for less than 2.4. I actually think Rodrigue likely gives you the same level of tending next year as Campbell would, and he'll be around $1M/year on a 2 year deal, or something like that. Their stats in the AHL are essentially the same, and OR is 24 next year, rather than Campbell at 32, so OR should at least in theory have some further improvement in his game.

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't buyout Campbell, sign a veteran backup, and then try out OR in the preseason to see what he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad