Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th

How Many Trades at the Draft Do You See Holland Making?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I went through it and I'll just post what I read.

Regarding Staios:
Holland will figure it out. Will see what the future brings. Says lots of good people in the business and that people come and go.
Focused majorly on this off season more than anything.
"You've got to stick with it. You can't just blow up half the team. We're in a salary-cap world. There's contracts. There's commitments."
Says we'd like to have the team to get better defensively (in regards to the tweaking).

Asked about if they can shoehorn another high-priced player under the salary cap:
"No chance."

Buyouts:
Possible, but hoping to avoid it because he would have money on the cap going forward.

RFA's (Bouchard, Kostin, Lavoie, McLeod, Rodrigue):
Will all be qualified.

Free agency:
(No mentions of Bjugstad anywhere so it looks like he's going to be looking for a new team)
Having conversations with Janmark.
Has to figure out Lavoie at camp.
Says its important to build a bottom 6 that can check, kill penalties, and chip in some offence.
Not in on the $4/5/6 million players. Says he's not even sure we're in on even the $2.5/3 million players. It'll be maybe a sixth or seventh defenceman. Has to figure out what he's going to do with Broberg and Desharnais. Has to sort out the bottom part of the forward roster.

Broberg:
Doesn't like him playing 7th d for his development and growth as he needs to play 15-20 minutes to prosper. He needs to be able to be in the line up every night. Can play on RD, but Broberg's more comfortable playing LD. Says his development and growth weighs in Holland's mind on a regular basis.

In regards to trading Broberg:
Doesn't have the answer right now, but it does weigh on his mind. Says Broberg is still young as well turning 22.
"We're in win now mode. That's why I traded a 2nd pick for Kulak and kept him."
Trying to bring in VET D (like the Ekholm trade) as come playoff time, they'd probably win with vet D than kids.
Holland has to sort it all out.

Regarding the picks they have in this year's draft:
Planning to use both the 6th and 7th pick unless a deal comes in place for them which Holland says he doesn't expect it to happen.

Set in goal with Soup and Stu.
He did also say that He has talked with manson and Woody about Broberg and they see him developing into a top 4 defenceman.

Reactions: McAsuno

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Seravalli also said Oilers have a small front office and NO SCOUT IN ONTARIO..

WHAT THE f*** IS BOB NICHOLSON DOING
I'll say again, Oilers had a heavy scouting presence in Niagara alone. I saw Steve, Bob and a young guy (Mitch?) several times. That's Niagara alone. I'm sure they covered the OHL well.

Reactions: belair

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Im not so sure this is true. I feel like a majority if not all of the major moves this team has made were telegraphed from 1000 miles out.

We heard originally heard about Ekholm early in the season at a time when no one even considered him to be available or likely to be traded. We heard Bjugstads name months earlier before we really knew if it was likely. We heard about the Hyman and Campbell signings way in advance. Theres more examples than that, too.

Either theres leaky pipes at the oilers office or Holland isnt really playing shit close to his chest at all. Seems like we can pretty much bank on a Yamo move at this point and a Konecny trade is highly plausible at some point this season for better or for worse.

I do agree that we heard about Ekholm, but majority of the yapping concerned EK65 or Chychrun. The Kostin trade was a random one too so I can't agree about certain comments in your post.

I see it as Yamo being moved out pretty obvious at this point, Connor Brown being a known option with the way Stauffer's been harping on, Nick Foligno, Corey Perry or Zach Parise as potential cheap help in the bottom 6.
Ceci could stay or go, honestly its been heard both ways. Some want him to stay thinking he'll be back to form next season after suffering injuries last season, that the crop of UFA D isn't great, and that they'll sought out that 'sexy' player at next year's TDL.
Regardless, we'll see what happens. I won't expect much, but if Kenny can perhaps swing for the fence on Travis Konecny, I'd be super ecstatic.
However, I'm pretty much expecting Connor Brown.

ilovetheshowlost

Sep 8, 2016
lol I don't know how people constantly fall for the "I have a source" rumors on this board.
I can only speak for myself, but I believe him because I myself am friends with someone who is related to someone in management. So it's entirely plausible someone else has a similar situation!

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You know I would love to get Konecny but if there is even a chance to get Pesce, we should be going all in. He is the right handed Ekholm. He had 30 points last season and he's a beast at defence and his puck moving is brilliant
I like Pesce too, but given what Severson just got, I feel like he’s going to be another 30 year old getting a huge retirement contract. I guess if you get 3 solid years out of it that’s a win, but I dunno.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yup. I didn't expect him to lay out his master plan to the friggin Athletic lol

Actually no. Everyone thought we'd go for Chychrun or Gavrikov. No one brought up Ekholm until like 30 minutes before it was done.

Bjugstad was talked about but it said Oilers were out on him 10 minutes before we got him lol. Holland doesn't lay his plan out to articles and the media
Actually, one person brought him up in November.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Stauffer hints that Bouchard and McLeod may be potential UFA Offersheets

Offer sheets really aren't a thing. Montreal tried one, really cost them. If you consider the Kotenkenemi offer sheet as a direct retaliation for Montreal trying Aho, the last offer sheet wasover a decade ago and the last successful was the Penner over 15 years ago. Its just a thing that happens.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I get that he's 21, but he's shown barely anything compared to the ones drafted after him. There's no resemblance in him that makes me think he'll pan out like Klefbom either. He gained 10+ pounds last off season which completely took away his major strength of his game in his speed and skating. The Broberg I saw out there showed much to no flashes of brilliance despite being heavily sheltered by Woodcroft. If he can't even outplay Kulak or Desharnais on the bottom pairing, that's awful.

I'm not asking him to play like he's Makar out there, but when the guy hasn't shown much, its understandable why he gets ripped upon. My worry is that his value will drop to a Yakupov/Puljujarvi level if he isn't moved out sooner than later. Heck, and I thought Olli Juolevi was disappointing enough.
Which ones? Soderstrom? York? Harley? Thomson? Heinola? Bjornfot? Johnson? Or are we still whining about THE ONE taken after him that's hotdogging in Anaheim about to cost them over $7m?

Broberg is at the exact level we need of him to replace Kulak. And Kulak is carrying a cap hit that can be better utilized instead of being spent on a pairing that's behind two top pairing LDs.

Broberg's development has gone fine. There have been very few setbacks and three full seasons on our bottom pair is plenty of leeway for him to find his next gear.

What does Juolevi have to do with anything by the way? Just shows a clear bias against the prospect. No comparison between either of them. Juolevi didn't even debut until he turned 22.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Koneckny at half price comes in cheaper than Yamo. Philly could probably be convinced to take him back in the trade, even if they would just buy him out at a 500k penalty for two years. Also adding Conner Brown would really make for a solid top 9.

Kane McDavid Brown
Hyman Drai Koneckny
Holloway/McLeod RNH ???
Kostin Ryan Lavoie

So I’d say Foegele and one of Holloway/McLeod could be available for trade, along with Broberg and Bourgault.

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that RNH could be moved to fit in a top pair RHD, but then a veteran would be needed to slot in with Holloway and McLeod on the 3rd line. Coming off a 100 point season might be a smart time to cash in on RNH’s value. Koneckny would slide right into that spot on the PP, and being a right shot is honestly a better fit there.

Nurse ??? (Maybe Pionk)
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Ceci
Desharnais

Does Winnipeg need a center if they deal Dubois? RNH for Pionk?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Campbell better come out of the gates next with a rocket up his ass because if he's putting up sub .907 or something next year too after game 20-25, think you have to just accept you're going to have to spend a fair amount to be rid of him.

Waiting a full year and then buy out isn't good, the buy out spikes to over 2 million of wasted cap in the year's Draisaitl and McDavid need new contracts, which is the worst timing possible.

You might as well move him and just retain like 1.2 million (3.8 mill resulting) if you can do that instead at some point next year and bring in a different goalie.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the defensive zone coverage is still sloppy in terms of systems play by game 25 next year too, I'd pull the plug on Woodcroft too. You got a full summer now of hard contemplating to go over what you did wrong, if the same stupid 3-on-3 man to man zone low is back next year with d-men being told to abandon the front of the net, fire this doofus. Can't have another year in the playoffs of that.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not exactly instilling a lot of confidence.

Upgrade the f***ing defense dude.

The D isn't going to change until next trade deadline. The D as it is, will be good enough to make playoffs again quite easily. We'll have Ekholm all season remember, and Broberg/VD should be solid 6/7 guys all year. We'll run our current D and then try to upgrade at the trade deadline. I think this is pretty obviously the smart thing to do really.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The D isn't going to change until next trade deadline. The D as it is, will be good enough to make playoffs again quite easily. We'll have Ekholm all season remember, and Broberg/VD should be solid 6/7 guys all year. We'll run our current D and then try to upgrade at the trade deadline. I think this is pretty obviously the smart thing to do really.
I think it's reasonable that we'll see a bit of a shift on the bottom end of the defense. Holland has to make a decision on what's happening with Broberg. If they want him in Edmonton next year, Kulak is likely getting pushed out. And we're a RD short as it stands.

We'll probably see a couple cheap adds. But you're right, any big add would likely happen at the deadline.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers should not fall into the trap of thinking "just one add is all we need". There are still multiple areas of need and if there is weakness displayed by either of the goalies this season, you need to make a move there too.

We cannot go into another playoffs with this tandem unless their season is impeccable. If you're seeing any red flags there, you have to make a move, like LA basically never letting Peterson play again for them (cold blooded, but that's what you need to do). So you need to allocate for that in-season too (goaltending change).

Reactions: McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad