Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th

How Many Trades at the Draft Do You See Holland Making?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
kane - Connor - hyman
Rnh - Drais - Comtois
Foegele - Grant - Kostin
Holloway - Mcleod - Ryan/Lorentz

Nurse - Ceci
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Stecher/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

Something like this is whats affordable to start the year. At the deadline probably can LTIR someone and look to upgrade one of Ceci or the goaltending.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
kane - Connor - hyman
Rnh - Drais - Comtois
Foegele - Grant - Kostin
Holloway - Mcleod - Ryan/Lorentz

Nurse - Ceci
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Stecher/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

Something like this is whats affordable to start the year. At the deadline probably can LTIR someone and look to upgrade one of Ceci or the goaltending.
All the Coke Machines.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
All the Coke Machines.
Comtois can play...more consistent now and has a defensive conscious that Draisaitl sorely needs....plus he can be a net front presence.
Lorentz can cycle...and he can be quite aggressive....and can motivate the team. He would be in and out with Ryan as required--or do you want our no. 1 D sitting cause he is the only standup guy we have?
Both of these guys can skate.
Your stanley cup champion just beat a skill team in part cause they have Howden and Roy and Hague and McNabb.
So more realistic than the pretzel twisting of Konecny or the outright stupidy of Karlsson.
It would take a little focus off our PP and we would be a bit better 5 on 5. The pk should greatly improve. We wouldn't bleed as much and the quality of chances against should go down.
Kulak would do less baby sitting and you should see him activate a bit more-- kulak and Stecher would be consistent enough to take a few minutes from Nurse-Ceci against elites each game. Desharnais gets the chance to learn the zone better.
None of this costs you a first...the trades are within Hollands skill set and both teams are open to trading.
The signings are UFa and affordable.
OUT-- Yamamoto and 24 second to SJ for Lorentz and Eetu for the farm, Lavoie and another B prospect for Comtois. Leaves money to sign Bouchard as you only need a small bridge for Comtois.
UNrealistic -- fire Shwartz and bring in Mitch ( he must be tired of the A-hole in New York by now). Bring in a quality sports pyschologist for the Tenders as well.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
One thing about Konecny, if he's an amazing fit, Kane will have 1 year left when Konecny would need a new contract... might not be too hard to move and have a cheaper guy fill in for Kane.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
One thing about Konecny, if he's an amazing fit, Kane will have 1 year left when Konecny would need a new contract... might not be too hard to move and have a cheaper guy fill in for Kane.
Your gaining more offense but giving up your chance to improve defensively or to improve 5 on 5 ....you will play your top 2 lines even more. The chances against will be more and higher quality.
Cap space is a scarce commodity.

Last edited:

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
personally I can see the oiler trading their 2nd for either 2 3rds or a 3rd and a 4th

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Lol what? Broberg isn’t a top 20-30 d prospect.

My point is, if Broberg is somehow valuable, having him lose value and just hang out as a bottom pairing is a waste of assets, especially cause you can get a bottom pairing defender who will mostly likely perform just as well for 900k and trade the guy you plan to have just chilling on the bottom pairing for something of value.

If all that matters is cap why not trade Broberg, and Yams for a pick? Use Brobergs little value to negate Yamamotos negative?
Yamamoto is not an NHL player, period. He contributes nothing, and comes in pretty expensive next year. Oilers will have to add bigtime to get a team to take him. Almost certainly a buyout.

Unbelievably poor scouting on the Pulju and Yamamoto picks... Broberg pick isn't shining either. Winning teams win because these first rounders hit. Imagine this team with Tkachuk instead of Pulju... just imagine it. Imagine if they didn't think they were smarter than everyone drafting the pint sized Yamamoto... wasted picks.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lol what? Broberg isn’t a top 20-30 d prospect.

My point is, if Broberg is somehow valuable, having him lose value and just hang out as a bottom pairing is a waste of assets, especially cause you can get a bottom pairing defender who will mostly likely perform just as well for 900k and trade the guy you plan to have just chilling on the bottom pairing for something of value.
Just hang out? No, that's how you develop a defenseman. It's not wasting any assets. You're using one of your most valuable ones to address a role that was previously costing three times the cap space.
If all that matters is cap why not trade Broberg, and Yams for a pick? Use Brobergs little value to negate Yamamotos negative?
Or you could just trade Kulak and find a team that values Yamamoto. Trade Broberg as a sweetener to move Yamamoto? Jesus.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Your gaining more offense but giving up your chance to improve defensively or to improve 5 on 5 ....you will play your top 2 lines even more. The chances against will be more and higher quality.
If Holland truly wants to go all in, he can get creative and improve in more than 1 area.

Adding Konecny solidifies our attack more, which helps defensively.

We outshot Vegas but they capitalized better. Adding Konecny and a guy like Pesce would go a long way in changing that outcome.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If Pesce is on the table I would offer Carolina our 2024 1st, Broberg and Ceci. This would be on the condition that hes willing to re-sign a 7x7 deal. It would only cost us 755k more in cap this year and then with the cap going up next year by at least 3M it would absorb the increase.
Would love Pesce but he's an American from not that far north of where I live in NYC so I'm highly skeptical that he'd sign long term in Edmonton. He's probably one of those many MANY players that want to sign with the Rangers.

Reactions: McDoused

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
If Holland truly wants to go all in, he can get creative and improve in more than 1 area.

Adding Konecny solidifies our attack more, which helps defensively.

We outshot Vegas but they capitalized better. Adding Konecny and a guy like Pesce would go a long way in changing that outcome.
Good luck in actually getting them and good luck im making the cap work LOL
Get in the real world. You have a location of Edmonton and a GM of Holland and were almost maxed cap space.
You have played hockey ...you know its better to have your third line burning there energy in the D zone and on the PK so that the top two lines are fresher for the third period. You know how much a benefit it is to have a cycle 4th line that can wear out the other teams best players and keep it close to even.
You know Vegas beat us with a balanced attack, identified our right side D and tired our wingers out because we were relying on Connor and Leon for 40 percent of the game right???

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The only realistic way I see Holland being able to make a serious change to the roster is through RNH, the more I look at it--and even that's kinda hopeful given his NMC.

RNH for the best 5'ish million dollar RD you can find. Replace him by trying to turn Ceci + whatever (picks, prospects) into a new winger; problem is it'll probably be a downgrade up front and you'll still have to replace Yamamoto.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The only realistic way I see Holland being able to make a serious change to the roster is through RNH, the more I look at it--and even that's kinda hopeful given his NMC.

RNH for the best 5'ish million dollar RD you can find. Replace him by trying to turn Ceci + whatever (picks, prospects) into a new winger; problem is it'll probably be a downgrade and you'll still have to replace Yamamoto.
Nuge is too big in the room to go and trade.

The reality is we might need to go big with assets to get guys on retention. (Because of the price, I'd prefer someone with term, to Pesce).

My hope is we protect Holloway and McLeod for the future. But Broberg, Bourgault, our next few firsts, should be on the table if we can add more impact players on reduced cap hit with 2 or more years left.

Then try to bargain hunt for guys like Brown, Toews, etc.

Reactions: ujju2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Konecny may not be the right target given team needs but I don't see why he hurts you 5 vs 5. The guy is a pretty tenacious forechecker like Yamamoto and is over all not a defensive liability. But what he adds is a significant amount of potential 5 vs 5 offense. So if you improve your 5 vs 5 offense while marginally improving your forwards defensively that pretty much looks like a win to me.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Konecny may not be the right target given team needs but I don't see why he hurts you 5 vs 5. The guy is a pretty tenacious forechecker like Yamamoto and is over all not a defensive liability. But what he adds is a significant amount of potential 5 vs 5 offense. So if you improve your 5 vs 5 offense while marginally improving your forwards defensively that pretty much looks like a win to me.
He doesn't like him because not tall coke machine type.

See below.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Travis is a 5'10" player pretty good both ways. It will encourage more time for the top two lines. Thats a problem. Also he makes 5.5m. Thats a huge problem and basically keeps you from doing anything else. I would love to have him but it comes down to priorities and cap space(and real availablity and cost).

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Oilers will never win with Nurse there. Nothing is impossible, where there's a will there's a way.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad