Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th

How Many Trades at the Draft Do You See Holland Making?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
In the Athletic article, did Holland say theres no chance we add a high profile player from UFA or trade?

I think it's reasonable that we'll see a bit of a shift on the bottom end of the defense. Holland has to make a decision on what's happening with Broberg. If they want him in Edmonton next year, Kulak is likely getting pushed out. And we're a RD short as it stands.

We'll probably see a couple cheap adds. But you're right, any big add would likely happen at the deadline.
But if Yamamato is getting moved (it seems very likely), who will take his spot. We can't go back to gifting rookies spots. Lavoie has to earn it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
In the Athletic article, did Holland say theres no chance we add a high profile player from UFA or trade?

See below.

I went through it and I'll just post what I read.

Regarding Staios:
Holland will figure it out. Will see what the future brings. Says lots of good people in the business and that people come and go.
Focused majorly on this off season more than anything.
"You've got to stick with it. You can't just blow up half the team. We're in a salary-cap world. There's contracts. There's commitments."
Says we'd like to have the team to get better defensively (in regards to the tweaking).

Asked about if they can shoehorn another high-priced player under the salary cap:
"No chance."

Buyouts:
Possible, but hoping to avoid it because he would have money on the cap going forward.

RFA's (Bouchard, Kostin, Lavoie, McLeod, Rodrigue):
Will all be qualified.

Free agency:
(No mentions of Bjugstad anywhere so it looks like he's going to be looking for a new team)
Having conversations with Janmark.
Has to figure out Lavoie at camp.
Says its important to build a bottom 6 that can check, kill penalties, and chip in some offence.
Not in on the $4/5/6 million players. Says he's not even sure we're in on even the $2.5/3 million players. It'll be maybe a sixth or seventh defenceman. Has to figure out what he's going to do with Broberg and Desharnais. Has to sort out the bottom part of the forward roster.

Broberg:
Doesn't like him playing 7th d for his development and growth as he needs to play 15-20 minutes to prosper. He needs to be able to be in the line up every night. Can play on RD, but Broberg's more comfortable playing LD. Says his development and growth weighs in Holland's mind on a regular basis.

In regards to trading Broberg:
Doesn't have the answer right now, but it does weigh on his mind. Says Broberg is still young as well turning 22.
"We're in win now mode. That's why I traded a 2nd pick for Kulak and kept him."
Trying to bring in VET D (like the Ekholm trade) as come playoff time, they'd probably win with vet D than kids.
Holland has to sort it all out.

Regarding the picks they have in this year's draft:
Planning to use both the 6th and 7th pick unless a deal comes in place for them which Holland says he doesn't expect it to happen.

Set in goal with Soup and Stu.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I see this year's playoffs were finally enough for Holland to say "enough is enough" with young D in the playoffs, lol.

What a f***ing gong show that was.

Playoffs are not a team for development league time.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

But if Yamamato is getting moved (it seems very likely), who will take his spot. We can't go back to gifting rookies spots. Lavoie has to earn it.
The post I responded to was regarding our defense core. As it stands the RD is currently Bouchard (unsigned), Ceci and Desharnais. I doubt that we're sticking with that depth chart going into camp.

Replacing Yamamoto is as simple as signing Brown. Good chance they find a way to get Janmark and Kostin re-upped as well. Any other offseason 'adds' will have to come in at under $2m. Look towards some of the RFAs who go untendered.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Making our top 6 worse is definitely the way to go said no rational person ever.
If we add Koneckny and Brown, it’s not worse. That was the whole premise of potentially selling high on RNH and improving the right side of the defense. The power play doesn’t skip a beat either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If we add Koneckny and Brown, it’s not worse. That was the whole premise of potentially selling high on RNH and improving the right side of the defense. The power play doesn’t skip a beat either.

I like Brown but I think people need to cool it on their expectations of him. He's not a guy who is a consistent 20 goal scorer to begin with but he's also coming off a major ACL injury. If we can sign Brown and he gives us like 12-13 goals, that's good enough.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the Oilers will circle around back to Carter Hart in-season if Campbell is not looking like a top end guy if the Flyers don't trade him with Broberg being a part of the package they can offer.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I like Brown but I think people need to cool it on their expectations of him. He's not a guy who is a consistent 20 goal scorer to begin with but he's also coming off a major ACL injury. If we can sign Brown and he gives us like 12-13 goals, that's good enough.
Brown's finishing isn't what makes him valuable. Like RNH and Hyman, it's his versatility. He's a player that can do it all and run his icetime into the 20s if needed. He's a player that doesn't need to be sheltered.

Winning teams have added these types of high impact middle of the lineup forwards in recent years to good results. Coleman, Goodrow, Paul, Hagel, Lehkonen, Barbashev...

Middle of the lineup guys who don't wilt when they need to play spot duty in a scoring role.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Brown's finishing isn't what makes him valuable. Like RNH and Hyman, it's his versatility. He's a player that can do it all and run his icetime into the 20s if needed. He's a player that doesn't need to be sheltered.

Winning teams have added these types of high impact middle of the lineup forwards in recent years to good results. Coleman, Goodrow, Paul, Hagel, Lehkonen, Barbashev...

Middle of the lineup guys who don't wilt when they need to play spot duty in a scoring role.

An ACL injury that kept you out an entire year is (I feel like I shouldn't even need to say this) fairly serious. Sekera was never the same after his injury, I think we need to be realistic. He missed a bunch of games the season prior too. I'd keep my expectations in check here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74 and Vagabond

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
That’s probably accurate. Three way deal? Trade RNH where he’d accept a trade to and send the return to the Jets for Pionk?

He's been playing for Oilers for 12 years, just signed a max contract retirement deal with a full no-move and the team is as good as its ever been since he's been drafted.

There's nowhere he'd accept a trade to and Holland isn't even considering dealing him. This isn't an EA Sports game.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
An ACL injury that kept you out an entire year is (I feel like I shouldn't even need to say this) fairly serious. Sekera was never the same after his injury, I think we need to be realistic. He missed a bunch of games the season prior too. I'd check my expectations in check here.
Andrej Sekera tore his Achilles tendon as well. He was also a guy we expected to play Ekholm's role.

Unless you're suggesting that he's almost certain to reinjure himself, the expectations of this player are pretty reasonable. He's replacing Kailer Yamamoto.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
He's been playing for Oilers for 12 years, just signed a max contract retirement deal with a full no-move and the team is as good as its ever been since he's been drafted.

There's nowhere he'd accept a trade to and Holland isn't even considering dealing him. This isn't an EA Sports game.
Can’t argue with that, but it’s going to be extremely hard to significantly upgrade the defense without sacrificing something up front.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
=
Seravalli also said Oilers have a small front office and NO SCOUT IN ONTARIO..

WHAT THE f*** IS BOB NICHOLSON DOING
Why have a scout where a ton of players come from? Maybe they got one down in Mexico where the old scout used to live lol

RNH isnt getting traded. Period.
I am 50/50 on him. Don't care at all if he was traded, b/c he wilts in playoff action, but if he stays, he is not overpaid. Reg season champ feeding off of the big dawgs

I would rather have a different dynamic upfront in the top 6

Campbell better come out of the gates next with a rocket up his ass because if he's putting up sub .907 or something next year too after game 20-25, think you have to just accept you're going to have to spend a fair amount to be rid of him.

Waiting a full year and then buy out isn't good, the buy out spikes to over 2 million of wasted cap in the year's Draisaitl and McDavid need new contracts, which is the worst timing possible.

You might as well move him and just retain like 1.2 million (3.8 mill resulting) if you can do that instead at some point next year and bring in a different goalie.
You know what will happen right? Any good goalie who was maybe going to get moved, etc will have been moved already by the time the Oilers wait too long and are shi**in the bed back there. We are a reactive organization. There should be zero patience at this point.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why are all these rumours centered around forwards? We need defense.
Defensive play isn't only the responsibility of defensemen. Defensive help from forwards would help too.

Can’t argue with that, but it’s going to be extremely hard to significantly upgrade the defense without sacrificing something up front.
Our front depth isn't good enough to sacrifice either.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Pierre Engval needs to be our target to replace Bjgustad. Would be good to get Eric Haula as well but likely out of our range. Ideally Engval and Accairi

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Agreed. Nurse is a freak of nature. His athleticism will allow him to play a long time. Worse case scenario he just isnt as physical and plays a few less minutes a game.

Hes only going to look better the next 3 years with Ekholm on the team.
Ekholm will nurse the 9 million dollar man into the franchise d-man?)))

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If you are listening to Ken Holland, the message literally is "don't expect me to make the team better"

He's capped out (and not creative or bold enough to gamble). So this is it, aside from swapping Yams for someone cheaper and maybe a depth D.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If you are listening to Ken Holland, the message literally is "don't expect me to make the team better"

He's capped out (and not creative or bold enough to gamble). So this is it, aside from swapping Yams for someone cheaper and maybe a depth D.

While I'm completely expecting a mostly low-key offseason, Holland historically underpromises. I remember how crazy this board got when he said there wasn't much going on a week before the deadline and his Ekholm trade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Might as well just let Staois take over now then if that's the plan since Holland just isn't going to do a lot overall.

The whole "well Detroit won because we were patient year after year" thing gets lame and tired. Detroit won because they had the a generational d-man (not even just Norris caliber, but generational) playing behind the best forward group in the world thanks to their Euro/Russian scouting that other teams at the time were years behind (not anymore though).

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If the Baseline for Holland to make a big trade is the "Ekholm deal" I think the ask for Konecny on the trade board from Flyers fans isn't realistic at all.

Ekholm is a bigger fish. No disrespect to the player or his abilities, but if Konecny was traded for Ekholm tomorrow people across Edmonton start breaking shit and ignoring the traffic laws.

Additionally Ekholm was for "four playoff runs" and "the stretch drive" that solidified the regular season standings that saw the Oilers miss winning the entire Western Conference by two points.

Ekholm was a revelation and now we have another three years of his stabilizing influence and three more shots at the Cup with arguably our number one defenceman.

If the deals mirror each other, a real deal and an imaginary deal, it would be a player with some value out. Foegele, reflecting the Barrie part of the transaction; A top prospect, and a 1st for Konecny with some retention. Maybe a little more retention because Konecny is under contract for only two years.

And if you ask me, out of the two players, Ekholm was already under the more club friendly contract to begin with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad