Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th

How Many Trades at the Draft Do You See Holland Making?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
He doesn't like him because not tall coke machine type.

See below.
So Howden, Nic Roy, Hague, McNabb are just coke machines to you. They were instrumental players against Florida.
I would love to have Travis...its not the player ....he would be great fit.....but he would not have been the answer to get past Vegas.
Also if your Holland you offer Yamo and Broberg....but if your Philly u counter back saying okay we will take Yamo but we want Holloway and Desi.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not sure if the guy on Twitter is legit but he says Philly is interested in an unexpected player on the Oilers. Probably bullshit

Reactions: McDoused

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Broberg is 21 years old. This place never changes. :laugh:

You have to give defensemen runway to get footing in the NHL. They don't all immediately emerge as top four talents. Even Klefbom took several years to finally look somewhat composed and he was thrown to wolves on bad teams. This is a roster with two legitimate top pairing options ahead of Broberg.

Kulak at $2.75m is unnecessary. We're fortunate to have him playing well enough where he's likely to have a market even with his contract. Here it's cap that can be used to address other, more important areas of the roster. Like possibly Ceci's replacement in the top four.

I get that he's 21, but he's shown barely anything compared to the ones drafted after him. There's no resemblance in him that makes me think he'll pan out like Klefbom either. He gained 10+ pounds last off season which completely took away his major strength of his game in his speed and skating. The Broberg I saw out there showed much to no flashes of brilliance despite being heavily sheltered by Woodcroft. If he can't even outplay Kulak or Desharnais on the bottom pairing, that's awful.

I'm not asking him to play like he's Makar out there, but when the guy hasn't shown much, its understandable why he gets ripped upon. My worry is that his value will drop to a Yakupov/Puljujarvi level if he isn't moved out sooner than later. Heck, and I thought Olli Juolevi was disappointing enough.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yamamoto is not an NHL player, period. He contributes nothing, and comes in pretty expensive next year. Oilers will have to add bigtime to get a team to take him. Almost certainly a buyout.

Unbelievably poor scouting on the Pulju and Yamamoto picks... Broberg pick isn't shining either. Winning teams win because these first rounders hit. Imagine this team with Tkachuk instead of Pulju... just imagine it. Imagine if they didn't think they were smarter than everyone drafting the pint sized Yamamoto... wasted picks.
I disagree, I think he is an NHL player and I think he does contribute something, this strikes me very much as yet another case of Oilers fans getting a hate on for a player cause they make too much money for what they contribute. Yamo even on a bad season playing injured (very often the case) is still comfortably a 30+ point player (pro-rated) and looks to have some potential aptitude on the PK.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Based on what Holland is saying here, I wouldn't be surprised to see Broberg traded.
I went through it and I'll just post what I read.

Regarding Staios:
Holland will figure it out. Will see what the future brings. Says lots of good people in the business and that people come and go.
Focused majorly on this off season more than anything.
"You've got to stick with it. You can't just blow up half the team. We're in a salary-cap world. There's contracts. There's commitments."
Says we'd like to have the team to get better defensively (in regards to the tweaking).

Asked about if they can shoehorn another high-priced player under the salary cap:
"No chance."

Buyouts:
Possible, but hoping to avoid it because he would have money on the cap going forward.

RFA's (Bouchard, Kostin, Lavoie, McLeod, Rodrigue):
Will all be qualified.

Free agency:
(No mentions of Bjugstad anywhere so it looks like he's going to be looking for a new team)
Having conversations with Janmark.
Has to figure out Lavoie at camp.
Says its important to build a bottom 6 that can check, kill penalties, and chip in some offence.
Not in on the $4/5/6 million players. Says he's not even sure we're in on even the $2.5/3 million players. It'll be maybe a sixth or seventh defenceman. Has to figure out what he's going to do with Broberg and Desharnais. Has to sort out the bottom part of the forward roster.

Broberg:
Doesn't like him playing 7th d for his development and growth as he needs to play 15-20 minutes to prosper. He needs to be able to be in the line up every night. Can play on RD, but Broberg's more comfortable playing LD. Says his development and growth weighs in Holland's mind on a regular basis.

In regards to trading Broberg:
Doesn't have the answer right now, but it does weigh on his mind. Says Broberg is still young as well turning 22.
"We're in win now mode. That's why I traded a 2nd pick for Kulak and kept him."
Trying to bring in VET D (like the Ekholm trade) as come playoff time, they'd probably win with vet D than kids.
Holland has to sort it all out.

Regarding the picks they have in this year's draft:
Planning to use both the 6th and 7th pick unless a deal comes in place for them which Holland says he doesn't expect it to happen.

Set in goal with Soup and Stu.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
McLeod would be my guess
Philly is really short on centers particularly with them trying to move K. Hayes. I could see him being someone Briere would like, good size and wheels and on an upward trajectory with his even strength scoring rate. I know Briere likes analytics and McLeod is giving the look of a 3rd liner with potential 2nd line upside.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The guy keeps his cards close to his chest

Im not so sure this is true. I feel like a majority if not all of the major moves this team has made were telegraphed from 1000 miles out.

We heard originally heard about Ekholm early in the season at a time when no one even considered him to be available or likely to be traded. We heard Bjugstads name months earlier before we really knew if it was likely. We heard about the Hyman and Campbell signings way in advance. Theres more examples than that, too.

Either theres leaky pipes at the oilers office or Holland isnt really playing shit close to his chest at all. Seems like we can pretty much bank on a Yamo move at this point and a Konecny trade is highly plausible at some point this season for better or for worse.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Meh, I'm not gonna read too much into it.
You know me when it came to criticizing the moves Holland made or doesn't make.
The guy keeps his cards close to his chest, so I'll wait for the actual moves before I say anything personally.

Get the job done, Kenny.

Yup. I didn't expect him to lay out his master plan to the friggin Athletic lol

Im not so sure this is true. I feel like a majority if not all of the major moves this team has made were telegraphed from 1000 miles out.

We heard originally heard about Ekholm early in the season at a time when no one even considered him to be available or likely to be traded. We heard Bjugstads name months earlier before we really knew if it was likely. We heard about the Hyman and Campbell signings way in advance. Theres more examples than that, too.

Either theres leaky pipes at the oilers office or Holland isnt really playing shit close to his chest at all. Seems like we can pretty much bank on a Yamo move at this point and a Konecny trade is highly plausible at some point this season for better or for worse.
Actually no. Everyone thought we'd go for Chychrun or Gavrikov. No one brought up Ekholm until like 30 minutes before it was done.

Bjugstad was talked about but it said Oilers were out on him 10 minutes before we got him lol. Holland doesn't lay his plan out to articles and the media

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I went through it and I'll just post what I read.

Regarding Staios:
Holland will figure it out. Will see what the future brings. Says lots of good people in the business and that people come and go.
Focused majorly on this off season more than anything.
"You've got to stick with it. You can't just blow up half the team. We're in a salary-cap world. There's contracts. There's commitments."
Says we'd like to have the team to get better defensively (in regards to the tweaking).

Asked about if they can shoehorn another high-priced player under the salary cap:
"No chance."

Buyouts:
Possible, but hoping to avoid it because he would have money on the cap going forward.

RFA's (Bouchard, Kostin, Lavoie, McLeod, Rodrigue):
Will all be qualified.

Free agency:
(No mentions of Bjugstad anywhere so it looks like he's going to be looking for a new team)
Having conversations with Janmark.
Has to figure out Lavoie at camp.
Says its important to build a bottom 6 that can check, kill penalties, and chip in some offence.
Not in on the $4/5/6 million players. Says he's not even sure we're in on even the $2.5/3 million players. It'll be maybe a sixth or seventh defenceman. Has to figure out what he's going to do with Broberg and Desharnais. Has to sort out the bottom part of the forward roster.

Broberg:
Doesn't like him playing 7th d for his development and growth as he needs to play 15-20 minutes to prosper. He needs to be able to be in the line up every night. Can play on RD, but Broberg's more comfortable playing LD. Says his development and growth weighs in Holland's mind on a regular basis.

In regards to trading Broberg:
Doesn't have the answer right now, but it does weigh on his mind. Says Broberg is still young as well turning 22.
"We're in win now mode. That's why I traded a 2nd pick for Kulak and kept him."
Trying to bring in VET D (like the Ekholm trade) as come playoff time, they'd probably win with vet D than kids.
Holland has to sort it all out.

Regarding the picks they have in this year's draft:
Planning to use both the 6th and 7th pick unless a deal comes in place for them which Holland says he doesn't expect it to happen.

Set in goal with Soup and Stu.

Buh bye Broberg.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Not exactly instilling a lot of confidence.

Upgrade the f***ing defense dude.
He made it sound like nothing big was coming before we got Ekholm. Holland undersells what he's up to.

In the last 24 months he's added Hyman, Kane, Ekholm and Kulak. I don't think he's afraid to make big moves. He's very quiet about it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yup. I didn't expect him to lay out his master plan to the friggin Athletic lol

Actually no. Everyone thought we'd go for Chychrun or Gavrikov. No one brought up Ekholm until like 30 minutes before it was done.

Bjugstad was talked about but it said Oilers were out on him 10 minutes before we got him lol. Holland doesn't lay his plan out to articles and the media

Not really. Gavrikov was talked about earlier in in the year but it had been well known that he would sign an extension in any Canadian market for weeks if not months ahead of time.

Chychrun and Ekholm were the two guys mentioned the most with a lot of talk saying the Oilers were not as keen on Chychrun.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Philly is really short on centers particularly with them trying to move K. Hayes. I could see him being someone Briere would like, good size and wheels and on an upward trajectory with his even strength scoring rate. I know Briere likes analytics and McLeod is giving the look of a 3rd liner with potential 2nd line upside.
McLeod is one player I don't want to see gone... He has improved and has good wheels. I am fine with any of Holloway, Borgeault or Schaefer going though... more magic beans.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I get that he's 21, but he's shown barely anything compared to the ones drafted after him. There's no resemblance in him that makes me think he'll pan out like Klefbom either. He gained 10+ pounds last off season which completely took away his major strength of his game in his speed and skating. The Broberg I saw out there showed much to no flashes of brilliance despite being heavily sheltered by Woodcroft. If he can't even outplay Kulak or Desharnais on the bottom pairing, that's awful.

I'm not asking him to play like he's Makar out there, but when the guy hasn't shown much, its understandable why he gets ripped upon. My worry is that his value will drop to a Yakupov/Puljujarvi level if he isn't moved out sooner than later. Heck, and I thought Olli Juolevi was disappointing enough.
Sounds good. But really only the 2 D drafted ahead of him, Seider and Byram have established themselves. York on a horrible Flyers team has played more games and is more productive. On fairly comparable competitive teams, LA's Bjornfot has 116 games to Broberg's 69 but only 4 more points and a -18 to -2. 2019 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com

Defense onboard later than forwards and phase of organizational development can also be a factor. Klefbom onboarded to a deep rebuild(s) organization where there was ice-time available and a bad organization that fed kids top roles without a lot of quality veteran cover while Broberg is attempting to onboard a bullet train winning window organization aimed at deep playoff runs.

Broberg's development path has been fine. Had a great 1st year North American season that included some solid NHL call-up times including feature games in Vegas and Calgary. On a team locked into trying to win deep playoff runs he naturally struggled to gain certainty on the roster. And smartly, the GM added an elite LD to create meaningful improvement on a very average defense. The head coach also opted to give priority to a more professional experienced physical defender with size and abrasive game which were missing attributes on the d-corp.

This is a player stuck in the Twilight Zone not quite ready within a team pressing to win a Cup.

Reactions: McAsuno

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Based on what Seravalli said on DFO, I don't think we are going to make a big move but then he said he expects the Oilers to be aggressive to be put over the top. Can you pick a side man?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Seravalli also said Oilers have a small front office and NO SCOUT IN ONTARIO..

WHAT THE f*** IS BOB NICHOLSON DOING
Well covered already. Their OHL scout died before the start of the season. Staios based out of his Hamilton home provided scouting support but also substantive recent experience and network in the O. Pro scout Warren Rychel also has substantive reach and network into the O.

Nicholson is not in hockey ops. This is Holland's domain. They can still unearth a OHL player with their 7th or 8th round pick...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Seravalli also said Oilers have a small front office and NO SCOUT IN ONTARIO..

WHAT THE f*** IS BOB NICHOLSON DOING

Pro or amateur scout?

Chia's brother was crushing it as their OHL scout. Did they let him go last year and just decide not to replace him? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad