Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Would you rather:
Skinner - 45-50 gp
Raanta - 32-37 gp

or

Skinner 30-50 gp
Campbell 30-50 gp
(or whatever else combination you prefer)
?

I don't understand. I was suggesting that a buyout was an easy option to do if Campbell doesnt bounce back.

I just dont agree with you about Raanta being the guy.

Carolinas goalies look good because they are all in a good system.

Oilers need to fix the defence and goalie coach before they look at the goalie carousel. Do those things first and I wouldnt be surprised if Campbella confidence suddenly comes back.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't understand. I was suggesting that a buyout was an easy option to do if Campbell doesnt bounce back.

I just dont agree with you about Raanta being the guy.

Carolinas goalies look good because they are all in a good system.

Oilers need to fix the defence and goalie coach before they look at the goalie carousel. Do those things first and I wouldnt be surprised if Campbella confidence suddenly comes back.

Carolina is the 4th team Raanta has played for and has put up similar or better numbers on all 3 other teams...

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah obviously it's not great. It's a sunk cost at this point, so no reason to go back and complain about it.

Having dead cap isnt ideal but I'm just pointing out that their is a pretty easy solution gross or not. Lots of teams have ideas cap space. Heck Minnesota still remains competitive somehow.

If campbell doesnt bounce back either buy him out or pay the assets to dump him, then move on.

I dont think Raanta has ever been a starter and I dont think hes about to be one at age 34.
Oil tied their fortune to Campbell. I just can't see them not giving a second year to reset his game.

Personally I've evolved my opinion about goaltending. It's a position that is so interdependent with team.

I feel there are a very small group of elite goaltenders and a large swath of fairly interchangeable ones. In the playoffs if your team is fortunate to have a Vasilevskiy, Price you can generally rely on elite goaltending year after year (though each have had poor playoff years too). Hellebuycyk a consistent Vezina level tender has had a mix bag of playoff results. This year's he was no better than Skinner. Saros hasn't had a breakthrough playoff on average Predators teams. The Bob is paid as an elite but inconsistently delivered on it.

The wide swath of average, largely interchangeable goaltenders is what interests me. We see every playoffs a fairly random occurrence of a goaltender getting hot and carrying a team on a playoff run. I think this is fairly unpredictable and I'm not sure repeatable for most of them. Vegas is the strongest example I've seen of a team able to run 4-5 goaltenders deep to improved regular season results and then turned to their fourth stringer who they insulated well with systems play and the kid made the stops while their team made every opposition goaltender a sub .900 gaa.

Vegas (and to some degree St. Louis' Cup team) make me believe that you can win with one of the average, largely interchangeable goaltenders, if you have a superior defense corp, strong and disciplined goal suppression systems, and a team buy-in to defending. Oilers still have a remaining need to upgrade top 4 RD to be anywhere near Cup quality d-corps we've seen forever. And to improve their systems and five man, connected work rate to prevent goals against. If they can do this, I think Skinner and Campbell together might have ability to be a tandem that can play well enough for this team to truly compete against legitimate Cup level teams in long playoff grind series.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Just for fun, I moved out Foegele, Yamo and Ceci for Parayko and signed Bouch 1 year 3 mill (i dont know if it comes in that cheap) and McLeod 3 years 2 mill (the rumoured contract).

After doing that, we have 3,432,000 in cap space with 4-5 forward holes to fill.

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-?????
Holloway-Mcleod-?????
?????-Ryan-?????
?????

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Parayko
Kulak-Broberg
Desharnais

Skinner
Campbell

It's why this year we have to go bargain hunting for players like Brown. High impact players are more likely at the trade deadline when a team is willing to retain, and we have the option to extend next year when the cap shoots up.
Posts like this just reinforce my thoughts that trading Kulak for a pick this week should be a high priority for Holland. It’s not even a move I necessarily want to see them make but reality is a top prospect dman should be able to play 3LD behind Nurse and Ekholm. It might be a bit of a step backwards, but I fully believe Broberg can be 70% as effective as Kulak in that position for 30% of the cost. And if you take those cap savings and use them to get an upgrade to pair with Nurse it’s a huge net positive for the defense as a whole.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Guy gets hurt very often IIRC. If you add him and Skinner has a sophomore slump and he's hurt we might not make the playoffs.

Is a calculated risk. Just like Campbell might not bounce back. One has a track record of performing consistently when healthy, the other does not.

One plays well but is a higher risk of injury, the other is healthy but is a higher risk of playing bad.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is a calculated risk. Just like Campbell might not bounce back. One has a track record of performing consistently when healthy, the other does not.

One plays well but is a higher risk of injury, the other is healthy but is a higher risk of playing bad.
I'd be fine with him if we ran with 3 goalies, not with 2.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I could actually see the Oilers signing a UFA G to a 1-way deal this summer between league minimum and 1.25M:

Joey Daccord (Seattle may re-sign him after a strong AHL playoffs)
Mackenzie Blackwood (unlikely to get a qualifying offer from NJD)
Alex Nedeljkevic (struggled in Detroit, has been an excellent AHL goalie)
Malcolm Subban (established AHL/NHL tweener; had a pretty strong playoff in AHL Rochester)
Chris Drieger (if bought out by Seattle)
Colin Delia
Erik Kallgren
Keith Kinkaid
Dustin Tokarski

I would take any of the above as a security blanket - with a preference for the guys at the top. I think the fact that we have 24 year old (25 in November) Skinner on the roster gives Holland some leeway to have two veteran goalies in Bakersfield splitting time for the season. The Oilers really don't have any great goalie prospects in the system.

I wouldn't necessarily want them to have this set-up longer than for one year. I just look at the impact that someone like Copley had with the Kings and believe they should bring in another vet with the understanding that they might spend the whole season in Bakersfield but could easily end up seeing time in the NHL. A one-way contract at 1.25M could be enticing to the guys at the top of the above list.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
My hot water tank that partially flooded my basement last weekend was still under warranty, so that was good.

Lock this baby up before I jinx it! :D
Fittings rot ? Happened to mine as well. I never has a water softener and water was too hard. Caused corrosion in fittings. Too much Iron

I like how you find the positive in an otherwise shitty situation. I’ve always tried to encourage my kids to do the same in life. Life is too short to walk around under a storm cloud your entire life.
Look what happened to Charlie Brown. Poor little fuker was bald by the time he was 7. Could never kick a field goal and always walked around with a storm cloud over him

Reactions: brentashton

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I could actually see the Oilers signing a UFA G to a 1-way deal this summer between league minimum and 1.25M:

Joey Daccord (Seattle may re-sign him after a strong AHL playoffs)
Mackenzie Blackwood (unlikely to get a qualifying offer from NJD)
Alex Nedeljkevic (struggled in Detroit, has been an excellent AHL goalie)
Malcolm Subban (established AHL/NHL tweener; had a pretty strong playoff in AHL Rochester)
Chris Drieger (if bought out by Seattle)
Colin Delia
Erik Kallgren
Keith Kinkaid
Dustin Tokarski

I would take any of the above as a security blanket - with a preference for the guys at the top. I think the fact that we have 24 year old (25 in November) Skinner on the roster gives Holland some leeway to have two veteran goalies in Bakersfield splitting time for the season. The Oilers really don't have any great goalie prospects in the system.

I wouldn't necessarily want them to have this set-up longer than for one year. I just look at the impact that someone like Copley had with the Kings and believe they should bring in another vet with the understanding that they might spend the whole season in Bakersfield but could easily end up seeing time in the NHL. A one-way contract at 1.25M could be enticing to the guys at the top of the above list.
Not with Pickard still under contract. Rodrigue made steps last season and he's likely to get a QO and an increased role in Bakersfield next season. Another goalie would just push a player out who deserves a bigger role.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for the words...I always look at shitty situations like this: "Was anyone hurt or killed? No. Did the house burn down? No."

Shit can be replaced, people can't.

In this situation, it wasn't sewer either so another bonus. Yeah part of the carpet got soaked but insurance has been great so far.

My daughter asked me when it was first discovered "Dad, how are you so calm about this?". So I said "Well, you can scream and swear or cry or whatever but the cleanup is still going to be there waiting for you. So with situation, have your initial 'oh shit' moment, assess the situation...look for dangers like electrocution hazards first. If there aren't any, then stop the water leak first and deal with the mess after."
Good attitude
Some people stress to long on trivial BS. I think they need a reality check. I got it years ago. When daughter was born, she had to visit Childrens Hospital in Halifax for a bit. While I was there, I seen kids that were very sick and not getting outta there ever. It was quite a reality check for me. Things that I complained about suddenly took a back seat when I seen this

Lindholm would be the best replacement out there for Patrice Bergeron...

Also am I crazy for thinking I'd rather have Iafallo and Vilardi than Dubois?
I think its a win for Winnipeg. PLD seems like a cancer

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Not with Pickard still under contract. Rodrigue made steps last season and he's likely to get a QO and an increased role in Bakersfield next season. Another goalie would just push a player out who deserves a bigger role.
Hmmm....neither Rodrigue nor Pickard are tracking as backup material. Lets Flush them.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
As someone that thinks PLD is an overrated, petulant child (that controller disconnect level of effort game to game when he wanted out of Columbus was something else…), I hope the Kings do it. Downgrade IMO
I hope they do it as well. He seems like a whiner. Schieffle is next one out door. He is a complete whiner. Does nothing but complain. I have inside info on that one. I hope Chevy does good with his trades. I think he will

Reactions: Anarchism

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I’d love him as an add but I don’t get the sense that Chevy is doing a complete tear down. I think he’s indicated it’s a reload after getting 3-4 players out of dodge. I doubt Pionk is available. Oh but wow if he could be.
Id be all over Pionk. He is a mini version on Pionk. He hits anything and everything and can keep up with play no problem. Career year last year so I dont think he is available

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Fittings rot ? Happened to mine as well. I never has a water softener and water was too hard. Caused corrosion in fittings. Too much Iron

Look what happened to Charlie Brown. Poor little fuker was bald by the time he was 7. Could never kick a field goal and always walked around with a storm cloud over him
I don't know, water was coming out the top of the f***ing thing. The water here isn't terribly hard and the plumbers said this is the first time they'd ever seen a Bradford White hot water tank shit the bed before 10 years. This one was not quite 6.5 years old and it had an 8 year warranty, thank God. Most brands give just a 6 year warranty now (including the replacement).

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't watch much St.Louis but their fans from what I read aren't overly happy with Parayko's play. Maybe a change of scenery helps but a costly gamble if he has declined

Connor Brown hopefully slots in the top 6 and why no Kostin?
I'm not saying don't sign him. I simply made an exercise to show how tight we are

Reactions: Macheteops

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It's a $650,000 net difference for this season with Foegele and Yamamoto out the door. That's without any retention. Yamamoto and Ceci option is $150,000 net difference with no retention (with next year's $3,250,000 final year of Ceci off the books).
You also have to replace the players you are trading. Of course if Ceci goes the other way and Yamamoto signing Brown would make up for that but still going to cost.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I don't know, water was coming out the top of the f***ing thing. The water here isn't terribly hard and the plumbers said this is the first time they'd ever seen a Bradford White hot water tank shit the bed before 10 years. This one was not quite 6.5 years old and it had an 8 year warranty, thank God. Most brands give just a 6 year warranty now (including the replacement).
We have so many coal seems throughout the area here that I'm wondering what we drink

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
This. PLD is a cancer. The Kings will implode if they acquire him

I haven't read through the trade threads the last couple of days so not sure what everybody else's opinion is and I don't know all the details on the potential trade but am I the only who thinks the Kings are making a mistake by trading Vilardi and Iafallo for PLD?
I'm not entirely sure that I'd trade Vilardi straight up for him then you have the potential PLD extension that could be ugly down the road.

As someone that thinks PLD is an overrated, petulant child (that controller disconnect level of effort game to game when he wanted out of Columbus was something else…), I hope the Kings do it. Downgrade IMO
I would like the Kings to do that... Very very much. PLD is trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad