Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Just for fun, I moved out Foegele, Yamo and Ceci for Parayko and signed Bouch 1 year 3 mill (i dont know if it comes in that cheap) and McLeod 3 years 2 mill (the rumoured contract).

After doing that, we have 3,432,000 in cap space with 4-5 forward holes to fill.

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-?????
Holloway-Mcleod-?????
?????-Ryan-?????
?????

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Parayko
Kulak-Broberg
Desharnais

Skinner
Campbell

It's why this year we have to go bargain hunting for players like Brown. High impact players are more likely at the trade deadline when a team is willing to retain, and we have the option to extend next year when the cap shoots up.
It's either Kulak or Broberg on the third pairing LD with RD Desharnais. Or possibly Ceci as third pairing RD replacing Desharnais.

Savings of 1.9M against the cap if you go with Broberg as third pairing LD replacing Kulak.

Savings of 2.5M if you go with Desharnais and move Ceci, If you can find a replacement RD for the top pairing with Nurse.

With an additional 1.9M to work with, a buyout or trade of Yamamoto, and an additional cap savings trade, possibly to clear a spot for Holloway, we could afford to get some term on Bouchard's contract or sign a RD upgrade like Dumba. Maybe both.

Signing Dumba to play with Nurse allows the team to trade or move Ceci to the third pairing, making Desharnais our 7th defenseman.

I do believe you could get a 2nd rounder in this draft for Kulak. Broberg then has until the trade deadline to prove himself.

Is the team confident with the trio of Broberg, Holloway and Desharnais as early as this season?

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Neither did Campbell, he had like 140 NHL games under his belt in 10 years
He was Toronto's #1 for a season and part of the previous season. Hill has never been that until round 2 of the playoffs. Not exactly the same.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I think we are going to see Austin Matthews moved…. I’d also like to see Schiefele to DET and PLD and Helle to LA…. And both TOR and WPG will win their trades getting out from under the expense of overrated and aging players…. Oil needs to jettison Yamamoto but doubt we can do much else.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I'd be pitching Philadelphia to switch to Parayko in their proposed St. Louis deal. Offer up short-term NHL assets they can spin off at trade deadline with their choice of Yamamoto, Foegele, Ceci and 2023 2nd round pick. Explore Flyers retention of $500,000 - $1 million on Parayko while helping them to move $71,428,571 total dollars off their book.

St. Louis:
$7,142,857 Kevin Hayes (x 3)
$6,250,000 Travis Sanheim (x8)

Oilers:
$6,500,000 Parayko (x7). Ideally $500,000 - $1 million retained by Flyers.

Flyers:
$3,100,000 Yamamoto (x1)
$2,750,000 Foegele (x1) (OR $3,250,000 Ceci (x2)
+ 1st round pick St. Louis
+ 2nd round pick Oilers
oh yes the old take three cap dumps while retaining on a player we actually want for a 2nd trick. I can't imagine why something like that has never happened before.

Reactions: capazzo

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Just for fun, I moved out Foegele, Yamo and Ceci for Parayko and signed Bouch 1 year 3 mill (i dont know if it comes in that cheap) and McLeod 3 years 2 mill (the rumoured contract).

After doing that, we have 3,432,000 in cap space with 4-5 forward holes to fill.

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-?????
Holloway-Mcleod-?????
?????-Ryan-?????
?????

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Parayko
Kulak-Broberg
Desharnais

Skinner
Campbell

It's why this year we have to go bargain hunting for players like Brown. High impact players are more likely at the trade deadline when a team is willing to retain, and we have the option to extend next year when the cap shoots up.
I get it. And why I said that there is a case for retention as well. Flyers took on $10 million of AHL goalie contract to carve out a 1st round pick and second. This has significant long-term financial savings ($70 million+) if they can move out Hayes and Sanheim. I'm not confident St. Louis would retain but if they take a $500,000 annual hit to get their players and a long-term no-trade deal off the books. There's a off-season case for retention as well and as we're seeing.

However fair point and reality check. The Oilers are obvious value shoppers. They will need to onboard young, cheap entry level contracts and hope that a player like Brown will do a value contract. All competitive cap stretched teams are looking and hoping on player's like that. Think he's likely a Kessel level signing in the $1.5 million range + bonuses.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
oh yes the old take three cap dumps while retaining on a player we actually want for a 2nd trick. I can't imagine why something like that has never happened before.
Dare to dream! Dare to dream! Flyers dumping $70 million of 3+ year contracts is a solid foundation for a starting deep rebuild team. Flyers get cap space in a year and traceable deadline assets for more picks. St. Louis wanting to reshape its roster and needing to dump one of 4 or 5 no trade veteran defensemen contracts including a guy who's submarined a big trade.

I always appreciate posters who reality check dreamscaping, little likelihood ideas. The sarcastic ones are the cherry on the poop sundae. haha

Reactions: capazzo

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Dare to dream! Dare to dream! Flyers dumping $70 million of 3+ year contracts is a solid foundation for a starting deep rebuild team. Flyers get cap space in a year and traceable deadline assets for more picks. St. Louis wanting to reshape its roster and needing to dump one of 4 or 5 no trade veteran defensemen contracts including a guy who's submarined a big trade.

I always appreciate posters who reality check dreamscaping, little likelihood ideas. The sarcastic ones are the cherry on the poop sundae. haha
So your saying you enjoy positing ridiculous crap to sucker in people and laugh at them?

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
I know you’re being sarcastic but it’s not unrealistic. Holland already offered him a contract extension. If Pulju is honest with himself, his best option for next year is to take Holland up on his offer

A 1 year league minimum sure but even so I'd rather see them let Holloway, Bourgault, Janmark or someone else fight for that spot

Yams time is up here. I always thought he had potential but he might have to reach it elsewhere. Can't afford to wait around at 3m. Connor Brown if he can stay healthy is an upgrade

Resign McLeod, Kostin and I'd like to see Janmark back cheap. Would like to keep Foegele but if they're upgrading Ceci they'll have to move Foegele and upgrading Ceci should be a priority

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-?????
Holloway-Mcleod-?????
?????-Ryan-?????
?????

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Parayko
Kulak-Broberg
Desharnais

Skinner
Campbell

I don't watch much St.Louis but their fans from what I read aren't overly happy with Parayko's play. Maybe a change of scenery helps but a costly gamble if he has declined

Connor Brown hopefully slots in the top 6 and why no Kostin?

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

That wasn't even close to being in the realm of a possibility. Why not throw in Campbell while your're at it. I mean I can come on here and say we should trade a 2nd and all those players you mentioned for Crosby and I'd expect the same sort of response I just had.

ilovetheshowlost

Sep 8, 2016
I think we are going to see Austin Matthews moved…. I’d also like to see Schiefele to DET and PLD and Helle to LA…. And both TOR and WPG will win their trades getting out from under the expense of overrated and aging players…. Oil needs to jettison Yamamoto but doubt we can do much else.
Didn't Friedman say today that he's very confident Matthews is staying?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That wasn't even close to being in the realm of a possibility. Why not throw in Campbell while your're at it. I mean I can come on here and say we should trade a 2nd and all those players you mentioned for Crosby and I'd expect the same sort of response I just had.
Fair point. I'll take a knee on this. @bone previously make the point with a more thoughtful, respectful way.

This is quite possibly a historic off-season with the level of quality talent available and teams willing to eat salary. Philadelphia in particular is a large market team that can absorb cap retention as they've already show with their rookie GM's first trade. I've long thought the Oilers needed a 1RD and 2LD upgrade to have anywhere near a true Cup level defense. Happen to also think Parayko is a good stylistic fit for Nurse, durable and shutdown Cup winner d-man who's played against elites. This is a Sunday night time kill to imagine how or if the dots might be connected.

But let's talk more about Campbell for Crosby. I'm in!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Adin Hill has a career high of 27 starts in a season. Campbell was given a similar contract term when he had a similar career path. When he signed in Edmonton he'd had a full season as a starter with a 50-plus start workload. He was one of the most attractive options on the market that year.

Backing up a Championship team doesn't suddenly vault you to starter status. Plenty of examples out there of goalies who faded into obscurity after those deep runs.

Like? People say that happens all the time, but it actually doesn't happen very often.

You can say JS Giguere in 2003 and Cam Ward in 2006, but both those guys went on to have very long and overall successful NHL careers after that.

Campbell had a down year in Toronto actually from his previous season, but really only 1 year as a starter (.914 regular season + .898 playoffs isn't overall IMO that great, Mike Smith had .915 regular season and .913 playoffs in 2022).

Don't think he earned that 5 x 5 year contract at all, we just handed it over for no reason. Should've been 3 years, 4 at most. You shouldn't be getting a 5 year contract based on 1 year as a starter that wasn't even that great.

Seeing Samsonov put up better/identical numbers in Toronto this year ... doubt anyone will be giving him 5 x 5.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Like? People say that happens all the time, but it actually doesn't happen very often.

You can say JS Giguere in 2003 and Cam Ward in 2006, but both those guys went on to have very long and overall successful NHL careers after that.

Campbell had a down year in Toronto actually from his previous season, but really only 1 year as a starter (.914 regular season + .898 playoffs isn't overall IMO that great, Mike Smith had .915 regular season and .913 playoffs in 2022).

Don't think he earned that 5 x 5 year contract at all, we just handed it over for no reason. Should've been 3 years, 4 at most. You shouldn't be getting a 5 year contract based on 1 year as a starter that wasn't even that great.

Seeing Samsonov put up better/identical numbers in Toronto this year ... doubt anyone will be giving him 5 x 5.

Honestly it's not nearly as bad as people think. Like we could buyout Campbell today and only 1.5M would count against the cap. The problem is that you probably arent going to find too many goaltenders that have more potential at 3.5M. Hes a better goalie than he showed. We might as well keep him and hope he bounces back.

Also I could care less about year 5 vs year 4. Like at that point we need to have won with Campbell or move on from him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Honestly it's not nearly as bad as people think. Like we could buyout Campbell today and only 1.5M would count against the cap. The problem is that you probably arent going to find too many goaltenders that have more potential at 3.5M. Hes a better goalie than he showed. We might as well keep him and hope he bounces back.

Also I could care less about year 5 vs year 4. Like at that point we need to have won with Campbell or move on from him.

The problem with the buy out is it spikes to over 2+ million cap penalty in the years Draisaitl and McDavid need new contracts ... if it was just 1.5 mill cap penalty for 8 more years ... that would be gross enough.

How do we keep getting in these situations anyway, Mikko Koskinen, now this ... it's just never ending.

Say what want about Dubas, but he was definitely right to be uneasy in giving Campbell a long term big money contract.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

I'll take Antti Raanta with that buyout money 7 days a week.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The problem with the buy out is it spikes to over 2+ million cap penalty in the years Draisaitl and McDavid need new contracts ... if it was just 1.5 mill cap penalty for 8 more years ... that would be gross enough.

How do we keep getting in these situations anyway, Mikko Koskinen, now this ... it's just never ending.

Say what want about Dubas, but he was definitely right to be uneasy in giving Campbell a long term big money contract.

Yeah obviously it's not great. It's a sunk cost at this point, so no reason to go back and complain about it.

Having dead cap isnt ideal but I'm just pointing out that their is a pretty easy solution gross or not. Lots of teams have ideas cap space. Heck Minnesota still remains competitive somehow.

If campbell doesnt bounce back either buy him out or pay the assets to dump him, then move on.

I'll take Antti Raanta with that buyout money 7 days a week.

I dont think Raanta has ever been a starter and I dont think hes about to be one at age 34.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad