Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
imo the top 2 UFAs available are ROR and Killorn in terms of forwards for the oilers.

what if we could negotiate the term/$ they want, get a trash team like arizona or chicago or whoever to sign him to that $/term, retain 50% and pay them in prospects and future for their $$ and cap space. adding either of those around 2-4M would be HUGE. i would love ROR because he is like adding a top 2 Dman. takes all the D zone jobs so 97/29 can be used more offensively

It would be nice to get a player like Brown, Tarasenko, Killorn etc but I dont think the Oilers will be able to pay guys like Tarasenko, Killorn, ROR etc. I thought Brown was maybe a possibility, but thats not even sounding possible.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I think the Oilers make all of their moves (not enough moves) at the deadline. They always have an excuse. Bagdad Bob has been given the propaganda statement that he posted on Twitter to all of the sheep.

Reactions: Oilers49er

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They should have tried locking him up two years ago. The way Chia did with Klefbom. Holland and his bridge deals ruin the cap.
They should have tried locking him up after he had played 21 NHL games over 3 years?
You do realize that Bouchard would of had to agree to that contract right? Something younger players aren't doing as much anymore. This isn't a video game, you can't just send a contract and guys go "thats fair I sign now".

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
imo the top 2 UFAs available are ROR and Killorn in terms of forwards for the oilers.

what if we could negotiate the term/$ they want, get a trash team like arizona or chicago or whoever to sign him to that $/term, retain 50% and pay them in prospects and future for their $$ and cap space. adding either of those around 2-4M would be HUGE. i would love ROR because he is like adding a top 2 Dman. takes all the D zone jobs so 97/29 can be used more offensively
The fact that it has never been done in the NHL makes me believe there is some unwritten rule preventing that, or maybe even a written rule.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Ross Colton, acquired by COL, is a physical shoot-first offensive forward whose prolific chance creation (especially near the net) has made him one of the most efficient per-minute goal scorers in hockey

Colorado making moves.

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018
They should have tried locking him up after he had played 21 NHL games over 3 years?
You do realize that Bouchard would of had to agree to that contract right? Something younger players aren't doing as much anymore. This isn't a video game, you can't just send a contract and guys go "thats fair I sign now".

This guy was a lock to be an offensive D man. If you were paying any attention, because clearly the Oiler scouts of Edmonton under Holland didn't know what they had with him at that time.

Yeah it's called negotiations. Figure it out.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ehh I don't see much advantage to jumping into the thick of things at the moment. It's definitely a buyer's market, as decent players are returning absolutely zilch, even at full retention.

I'm fine with Holland sitting this out and then jumping in post-Canada Day to once the market's less loony. After the big contracts are handed out on July 1st, Yams at 3.1 or McLovin at 2.75 won't look as steep.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
It would be nice to get a player like Brown, Tarasenko, Killorn etc but I dont think the Oilers will be able to pay guys like Tarasenko, Killorn, ROR etc. I thought Brown was maybe a possibility, but thats not even sounding possible.
yeah but thats what im saying. say ROR is a 7M player, if we can entice a team like arizona to sign him ufa then retain and trade to us for bourgault etc. we could have him on 3-4 year term at 3.5M

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He put the team in this situation. He was reactive to Bouchard and should have locked him in.

It's nothing but excuses to not upgrade the team and just hope Broberg and Holloway wins you games.

Captain hindsight strikes again....

Can't help but shake my head at the folks that act like contract negotiations are one sided and had Holland just thrown a long term value deal at Bouchard last year he would have signed it. If I'm Bouchard's agent I wouldn't sign a single thing over one year until he plays on the PP for the full season. It's common sense.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This guy was a lock to be an offensive D man. If you were paying any attention, because clearly the Oiler scouts of Edmonton under Holland didn't know what they had with him at that time.

Yeah it's called negotiations. Figure it out.
You would have been screaming from high heavens if they signed Bouchard to a 5x5 contract after 21 games. Edit: Hell, show me a SINGLE NHL team that has signed any player long term after 21 games played. Edit Edit: I don't think they were even allowed to sign Bouchard to a new contract anyways then as I believe you need to wait until they are in the last year of their current contract.

Because they're likely losing compher
And they already got rid of Newhook

Last edited:
Reactions: Faelko and K1984

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If they aren't in a trade for the upgrade at #1RD, it's an absolute no-brainer to move Foegele and Kulak to give them some minutes. If they bomb, you can get a third liner and third pairing guy for like a 5th rounder at the deadline.
But also, if you're going to commit to giving Broberg and Holloway minutes (which I don't disagree with), you have to move Kulak. That opens up what, 2ish million on the cap? Even if you feel bad about moving Kulak, if you think Broberg can get near his results on the ice, use that money to improve the roster elsewhere.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
They should have tried locking him up two years ago. The way Chia did with Klefbom. Holland and his bridge deals ruin the cap.

Wait, how? He's coming of his ELC? There wasn't some magic window two years ago where they could have negotiated.

And after how 21/22 went, no agent would have told him to sign a long term deal before getting a full time spot on the PP1. As you mentioned, he's a lock to be a damn good OFD; Bouch and his agent knew that too. They weren't going to waltz into a sweetheart deal.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If the Oilers don't move Kulak, I think this is one example people can point to of the difference between the way the Oilers are run and a team like Vegas is run. Vegas would have no hesitation moving a guy like Kulak despite his contract extension and the fact that he's a great guy and loves Edmonton. It would suck to see him go but this is such an obvious move to open up a little bit of cap space. You either believe in Broberg or you don't, and the consequence of it not working out is that you have to spend a third or fourth round pick on bottom-pairing defenceman at the deadline.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Ehh I don't see much advantage to jumping into the thick of things at the moment. It's definitely a buyer's market, as decent players are returning absolutely zilch, even at full retention.

I'm fine with Holland sitting this out and then jumping in post-Canada Day to once the market's less loony. After the big contracts are handed out on July 1st, Yams at 3.1 or McLovin at 2.75 won't look as steep.

You're probably not wrong.

But after July 1st - less teams will have money. But if the Oilers are going to move Yamamoto, Foegele - its probably more a team like Arizona, Chicago, Anaheim etc that will have cap space no matter what. But it might end up cutting out some of the fringe teams like a Nashville or something that may consider taking Yamamoto.

I dont know all of the rules for buyouts but I think the longer things drag on the worse it is for guys like Kostin for example.

I kind of fear that guys like Bouchard will drag on all summer anyway, which will prevent from Holland from doing too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00