Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkatcherin00

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I hope Holland gets something done here soon. I am generally supportive of him but I didn’t like the vibes from his presser today. Doesn’t even feel like theres any smoke about the Oilers doing anything. Hes got some work to do here and all hes done this offseason is sign Ryan? /shrug
I'm sure Brad is knocking on his dads head to keep him awake

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I like what Dumba used to be. Haven't paid as much attention in the past 2 years to know if that would be good or awful.
The basic view is he isn't good enough defensively to justify a top 4 spot if he isn't producing offense which he didn't do last season, but his quality of competition and GF% were in a decent spot. Then the deep dive look shows that he seems fully dependent on Jonas Brodin to play his best.

Dumba and Brodin 5 on 5 the last 2 seasons:
-Dumba with Brodin 1582 mins played and a 53,3 GF%
-Dumba without Brodin 886 mins played and a 40.3 GF%
-Brodin without Dumba 764 mins played and a 58.0 GF%

I'm not against acquiring Dumba, but his with and without Brodin numbers do scare me a little bit, but at the same time the LD in Minny are pretty underwhelming we certainly have more quality options to pair him with to try and recreate what he had with Brodin. I have enough uncertainty with respect to the player that I would be hesitant to offer more than 2 years and more than $4M seems scary.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Player not qualified by horrible team but fancy stats say that he is capable of being a 3rd pairing defenseman on a contender.

IMG_1253.gif

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd say that makes sense.

The Hawks have a bazillion good young lefties(Korchinski, Kaiser, Vlasic, Del Mastro, Allan) coming up. No point blocking them with someone who isn't in the plans.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So Holland does nothing?

I'd say that makes sense.

The Hawks have a bazillion good young lefties(Korchinski, Kaiser, Vlasic, Del Mastro, Allan) coming up. No point blocking them with someone who isn't in the plans.
Yeah its kinda sad. I haven't watched Caleb play at all this last year. I know he can play RD. Hopefully he finds a place.

Reactions: ujju2

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Does Kostin leaving maybe push Foegele instead out the door instead of Yams?

Our L side is Kane, Nuge and Hyman (his effective side), with our R side being Hyman (his handedness side) and ???Connor Brown. We are already very thin on the right. We've got Holloway and McLeod and -maybe- Janmark on the L behind as well. The rights got, um, Derek Ryan? Rookie Lavoie?

Kostin should definitely be part of the winning solution but if he isn't staying, further gutting our middle six R for space doesn't make a tonne of sense. I like all the players, it ain't an easy decision.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Until the first time we play them next season.
The oilers should be good enough for other teams to fear us not the other way around. We lost to vegas not becasue of how much better they are than us but becasue their goalies stopped the puck and ours did not. We cannot do anything about what other teams do, we can control what we do.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta

Sucks to suck! :)

Not expecting any trades today. Or tomorrow. Whatever moves Holland makes will happen July 1 is my guess. Would be nice to have something big happen on July 3 (my birthday.)

So far what I thought would happen is happening unfortunately. 0 cap and now we're going to lose a huge amount of depth thanks to all the players we need to resign. Last year was our best chance to win it all. Won't get a better one imo. I'm not saying it's impossible to win a cup but I think our chances are going to be considerably worse unless there's a big shake up.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Sucks to suck! :)

Not expecting any trades today. Or tomorrow. Whatever moves Holland makes will happen July 1 is my guess. Would be nice to have something big happen on July 3 (my birthday.)

So far what I thought would happen is happening unfortunately. 0 cap and now we're going to lose a huge amount of depth thanks to all the players we need to resign. Last year was our best chance to win it all. Won't get a better one imo. I'm not saying it's impossible to win a cup but I think our chances are going to be considerably worse unless there's a big shake up.

On the bright side, we went to Game 6 against the Stanley Cup Champs with Hyman, Kane, and RNH playing some of their worst hockey. I doubt that happens again next time around

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The oilers should be good enough for other teams to fear us not the other way around. We lost to vegas not becasue of how much better they are than us but becasue their goalies stopped the puck and ours did not. We cannot do anything about what other teams do, we can control what we do.
Not sure where you get any of this from my post. I never said or inferred anything remotely close to this.

You said what other teams do is irrelevant and I disagree. Teams don’t exist or play in a league that is a vacum. If you think what other teams do doesn’t have influence or impact on other teams’ performance or then you don’t understand the universe. Moves that other teams make does have impact on what opponents consider and perhaps do.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Does Kostin leaving maybe push Foegele instead out the door instead of Yams?

Our L side is Kane, Nuge and Hyman (his effective side), with our R side being Hyman (his handedness side) and ???Connor Brown. We are already very thin on the right. We've got Holloway and McLeod and -maybe- Janmark on the L behind as well. The rights got, um, Derek Ryan? Rookie Lavoie?

Kostin should definitely be part of the winning solution but if he isn't staying, further gutting our middle six R for space doesn't make a tonne of sense. I like all the players, it ain't an easy decision.

I don't think it changes much.

Yamo wasn't very good and he played like 99% of his minutes in the top6. A guy like Ryan is probably better than him on the third line. Ideally he's your #4RW, but worst case Ontario, you're probably better off with Ryan there and the extra $3M in cap space.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't love the player, but I think he could help.

I wonder if you could get the Habs to eat (or another team) on Joel Armia.

At $3.4M he doesn't bring enough, but closer to $2M he might be a solid fit in the bottom-6.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So looking back at that hilarious PLD trade, I think the Oilers should call on the Jets and try to get Vilardi out of there.

I honestly think he's be an excellent fit for this team. Offer up Bourgault+ (a bit) I see him as that good a fit.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
So looking back at that hilarious PLD trade, I think the Oilers should call on the Jets and try to get Vilardi out of there.

I honestly think he's be an excellent fit for this team. Offer up Bourgault+ (a bit) I see him as that good a fit.
vilardi or iafallo would be great, especially cause we know iafallo likes to score in edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad