Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If the Oilers don't move Kulak, I think this is one example people can point to of the difference between the way the Oilers are run and a team like Vegas is run. Vegas would have no hesitation moving a guy like Kulak despite his contract extension and the fact that he's a great guy and loves Edmonton. It would suck to see him go but this is such an obvious move to open up a little bit of cap space. You either believe in Broberg or you don't, and the consequence of it not working out is that you have to spend a third or fourth round pick on bottom-pairing defenceman at the deadline.

I think it's probably the opposite IMO. Vegas would keep Kulak because he's by far the better player and would ship Broberg off in a deal that helps them.

We were very, very, very fortunate to basically have a healthy defense for the whole year last year because we don't have a whole lot of redundancies there. If Nurse or Ekholm are hurt, elevating Broberg in a playoff series could cost us the series, but I don't see that issue with Kulak.

Moving Kulak should be a last resort option IMO.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think it's probably the opposite IMO. Vegas would keep Kulak because he's by far the better player and would ship Broberg off in a deal that helps them.

We were very, very, very fortunate to basically have a healthy defense for the whole year last year because we don't have a whole lot of redundancies there. If Nurse or Ekholm are hurt, elevating Broberg in a playoff series could cost us the series, but I don't see that issue with Kulak.

Yep. Vegas keeps good players and trades for better. They don't trade players to make room for worse. If Broberg was playing better than Kulak, Kulak would already be gone if we were like Vegas

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
If the Oilers don't move Kulak, I think this is one example people can point to of the difference between the way the Oilers are run and a team like Vegas is run. Vegas would have no hesitation moving a guy like Kulak despite his contract extension and the fact that he's a great guy and loves Edmonton. It would suck to see him go but this is such an obvious move to open up a little bit of cap space. You either believe in Broberg or you don't, and the consequence of it not working out is that you have to spend a third or fourth round pick on bottom-pairing defenceman at the deadline.
Here is where the issues arise. I don't think this org can pinpoint and just move in that direction. It's like life in general. If you do not have a goal and a pathway in your mind, you will never get there. You will wander aimlessly forever.

This is how I see our org. They get so stuck on guys, etc. I don't think they can lay out a hard lined pin pointed 2-3 year plan and just do whatever it takes to get there.

I don't care about the "Oh, but we are in Canada, we cannot create a bad rep"

This is hockey. A game. We are all going to survive with or without it. There is a cap. Players will sign here regardless. Just win a god damn cup. I don't care if we suck for 10 years straight after

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Fair enough, either way you have to make one of those moves imo (assuming it does allow you to bring in a good player at another position).

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fair enough, either way you have to make one of those moves imo (assuming it does allow you to bring in a good player at another position).
The only thing I don't know is how much value a guy like Broberg has. We can all say we need to move him for an upgrade somewhere but is he a coveted prospect? What would teams see more valuable, our 2nd this year or Broberg? For example.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
The only thing I don't know is how much value a guy like Broberg has. We can all say we need to move him for an upgrade somewhere but is he a coveted prospect? What would teams see more valuable, our 2nd this year or Broberg? For example.
We flip flop so much with deployment I bet he is not coveted at all. We cannot execute pump and dumps. It's not in Edmonton's vocabulary.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I would assume that there would be a market for a D man with his profile at his cap hit at his age, but what that means in actual trade value is hard to pinpoint.

I like the idea that was floated around earlier in the off season of packaging Ceci + Broberg to get a RHD upgrade from somebody, but who knows if that's a viable idea.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
You're probably not wrong.

But after July 1st - less teams will have money. But if the Oilers are going to move Yamamoto, Foegele - its probably more a team like Arizona, Chicago, Anaheim etc that will have cap space no matter what. But it might end up cutting out some of the fringe teams like a Nashville or something that may consider taking Yamamoto.

I dont know all of the rules for buyouts but I think the longer things drag on the worse it is for guys like Kostin for example.

I kind of fear that guys like Bouchard will drag on all summer anyway, which will prevent from Holland from doing too much.

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Holland kicking all 3 of the RFA cans down the road until mid summer once all the dust has settled.

For better or worse, I get the feeling Holland likes the wiggle room of not having contracts signed.

Right now, he doesn't have to move Foegele, as Koskin isn't signed; Thus it's not as much of a cap dump. It's crappy reasoning, I can at least see it.

Plus it's far easier to show the RFAs what's left in the budget and tell them that's all you can afford at the end of summer vs. the start. He did that with McLeod last year, who basically got every last dollar of cap space the team had to start the season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
13?

Oddly enough they are fairly comparable players with each having different category advantages. Overall Sharangovich seems marginally better, you would think a team would offer up a mid round pick for Yamamoto.

He's not marginally better. Yamo can play defense and wasn't a healthy scratch the latter part of the season and playoffs. It's a hilarious contract

Reactions: Faelko

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Holland kicking all 3 of the RFA cans down the road until mid summer once all the dust has settled.

For better or worse, I get the feeling Holland likes the wiggle room of not having contracts signed.

Right now, he doesn't have to move Foegele, as Koskin isn't signed; Thus it's not as much of a cap dump. It's crappy reasoning, I can at least see it.

Plus it's far easier to show the RFAs what's left in the budget and tell them that's all you can afford at the end of summer vs. the start. He did that with McLeod last year, who basically got every last dollar of cap space the team had to start the season.
Yes add to this we will finally be done with the flat cap next summer and can start making more moves in prep for MCDrais new contracts. I think you described what will happen perfectly

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I would assume that there would be a market for a D man with his profile at his cap hit at his age, but what that means in actual trade value is hard to pinpoint.

I like the idea that was floated around earlier in the off season of packaging Ceci + Broberg to get a RHD upgrade from somebody, but who knows if that's a viable idea.
Yep. As always there has to be a RHD available from a team that would be down for that kind of move that we could also fit cap wise. Its possible but just gotta see whats out there.

I'll wait and see if there is any good RHD moved this off season that we should have been in on. If none move than its simply none are available. Holland seems to know that is a position of weakness and he will address it if a move is to be made.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

What has more impact though? A guy who might be able to step up somewhat decently in case of an injury or $2M spent on a player that could play every single game?

If Nurse/Ekholm stay healthy, the roster is objectively worse if you keep Kulak.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
All other GMs makes moves while ours complains about being in cap hell- which he put us in.
The only playoff teams that have made moves so far are Colorado who are losing move than they have gotten, New Jersey who are still building, Tampa gave away a good player and LA gave up 3 good players for a 1 slightly more good player.
What deals we missing?

Reactions: K1984

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
He's not marginally better. Yamo can play defense and wasn't a healthy scratch the latter part of the season and playoffs. It's a hilarious contract
Based on the categories measured in that link, you would deduce that Sharangovich is better. I haven't watched enough of Sharangovich to say that, but statistically, you could make a case that he is.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
We have a 100 pts team. We don't need to take big swings. Teams that make alot of moves are teams that aren't in the playoffs. (e.g. Montreal, Philly, Calgary, ect)
When you're goaltender puts up a historic turd, you better swing big. Either for more defensively sound forwards, D upgrades, or some random goalie upgrade being creative.

Here, it's just "meh, we are a playoff team. It's all good" lol

We have low standards in Edmonton. When Drai and McDavid are gone with no cups, people will bi*** and moan about how we didn't do enough. I can already see it

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Maybe we should be like LA and ship off half the roster for a guy that won't make us any better just so we can say we did something.

Or maybe be like Vegas and always look to make your team better regardless of cap. Maybe use a team that’s been to the conference finals 4 of the last 6 years and won a cup.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What has more impact though? A guy who might be able to step up somewhat decently in case of an injury or $2M spent on a player that could play every single game?

If Nurse/Ekholm stay healthy, the roster is objectively worse if you keep Kulak.

I think one of the factors that cost us against Vegas is they had three pairs that they could run out in almost all situations and we didn't. This was very apparent in Game 5 when Nurse being out hurt us much more than Pietrangleo being out for them despite Pietranglo being a better D man. I think to win the cup you need three pairs that can be banked on and I just wouldn't want to gamble with that. Two playoffs in a row Kulak has elevated his game big time, I think that's valuable if we want to win 4 series and it's something that we will almost certainly need.

Or maybe be like Vegas and always look to make your team better regardless of cap. Maybe use a team that’s been to the conference finals 4 of the last 6 years and won a cup.

Guess we'll have to Tanya Harding one of our own players to put them on LTIR so we can follow the Vegas model of cap management.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
When you're goaltender puts up a historic turd, you better swing big. Either for more defensively sound forwards, D upgrades, or some random goalie upgrade being creative.

Here, it's just "meh, we are a playoff team. It's all good" lol

We have low standards in Edmonton. When Drai and McDavid are gone with no cups, people will bi*** and moan about how we didn't do enough. I can already see it
I'm not sure that's true. I think you can make a valid argument that putting aside any major acquisitions until the deadline is a smart move. Even with goaltending, I'm not sure that giving Campbell another season is the wrong move right now.

They definitely need to bring in some cheap vets chasing cups though, no excuse not to do that.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Does Kostin leaving maybe push Foegele instead out the door instead of Yams?

Our L side is Kane, Nuge and Hyman (his effective side), with our R side being Hyman (his handedness side) and ???Connor Brown. We are already very thin on the right. We've got Holloway and McLeod and -maybe- Janmark on the L behind as well. The rights got, um, Derek Ryan? Rookie Lavoie?

Kostin should definitely be part of the winning solution but if he isn't staying, further gutting our middle six R for space doesn't make a tonne of sense. I like all the players, it ain't an easy decision.
Honestly I've always thought Hyman looks better on the right wing.

Reactions: Faelko

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Maybe we should be like LA and ship off half the roster for a guy that won't make us any better just so we can say we did something.
maybe we should be the flames and trade good vet players for bums, then sign said bums to 3.1AAv contracts lol

Reactions: TB12 and K1984

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think one of the factors that cost us against Vegas is they had three pairs that they could run out in almost all situations and we didn't. This was very apparent in Game 5 when Nurse being out hurt us much more than Pietrangleo being out for them despite Pietranglo being a better D man. I think to win the cup you need three pairs that can be banked on and I just wouldn't want to gamble with that. Two playoffs in a row Kulak has elevated his game big time, I think that's valuable if we want to win 4 series and it's something that we will almost certainly need.

They're able to do that because of their cap structure though. They were spending like $10-15M less in their top6.

The Oilers are way too top heavy to ever roll 4 lines/3 pairings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia