Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I mean logically, why would a team take on Yamamoto's current contract when they can just wait until we buy him out and sign him for much less? If he isn't traded by the draft we will be buying him out.

Reactions: brentashton

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Seravalli literally said this last week. By nibbling around the edges he means fixing where we need help and not changing everything
He also said he is concerned that the Oilers will be complacent thinking they lost to the cup champs
So they don’t have to do anything. Man I hate Holland so much

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
There is lots of <1m quality vet defenseman that will make free agency.
Pluggin holes at 2rw and 3RD with a vet is a start. Its not enough to beat Vegas--a little adjustment by them and a similar strategy beats us again.
any decent player over 32 who is ufa and wants a chance to win the cup will sign a low aav deal to fill those gaps imo

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He also said he is concerned that the Oilers will be complacent thinking they lost to the cup champs

Oilers need to get better as it is imperative we finish 1st in the division this year. Consecutive 2nd place finishes have led to 2 bouts with LA from which we won but were battered in key areas physically. That cannot happen for a 3rd straight year. Finish 1st, so LA and Vegas beat the hell out of each other instead.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think it's probably the opposite IMO. Vegas would keep Kulak because he's by far the better player and would ship Broberg off in a deal that helps them.

We were very, very, very fortunate to basically have a healthy defense for the whole year last year because we don't have a whole lot of redundancies there. If Nurse or Ekholm are hurt, elevating Broberg in a playoff series could cost us the series, but I don't see that issue with Kulak.

Moving Kulak should be a last resort option IMO.
You don't? The Kulak-Bouchard pairing was getting crushed before Ekholm was acquired. That whole trade happened because Kulak was showing that he isn't able to handle that workload.

The whole idea of trading Kulak is to give the Oilers flexibility to add an impact RD at the deadline, which would give them that extra level of support.

Vegas has increased the workload of Nic Hague over the years to very solid results. Several years in he's still only on a $2.2m AAV. Zach Whitecloud also solidified himself as a mainstay on their blueline because he gave them good bottom pair value for several seasons. They've used the ELCs to manage their cap.

Reactions: fresh meat

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
No, we were alot closer than you make it out to be.

Too many in here want to blow it up when we were one of the best teams in the league.

dont-give-up-now.jpg
Dude, I agree we are close. You need to do better to get there. Not be happy with status quo

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I think teams are likely worried about Yam’s injury history from last year but still, any team trying to get to the cap floor should probably take a chance on him.
I think teams are worried that he is a pint sized player who was totally ineffective playing on the wing of one of the best players on earth, AND he commands a $3 mil salary. Cut bait and pay the cap penalty - if he costs $433K next year plus $1.0mil for a larger tougher faster replacement, then we are still $1.5 mil ahead.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Honestly the best thing to do is shed salary (Yamo + one of Kulak or Foegele) and wait for the deadline.

There is zero chance we are not in a playoff position and our dollars saved become 4.6X (according to cap friendly) at the deadline.

What would you rather do:
1) Clear salary so that we can sign two extra vets at $2.5M each (instead of youth/AHL @ $1M each), or
2) Clear salary, play two extra youth/AHL @ $1M each and have $(1.5 x 2) x 4.6 = $13.8M available at the deadline?

The answer seems pretty obvious to me.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Also, very cool tool I found. Projected contracts.

I would do Bouchard at 5.4M x 6 in a heartbeat if it weren't for the team's significant cap restrictions. The Oilers are going to pay dearly down the road for the bridge contract Bouchard is going to get, like they did with Nurse.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Dude, I agree we are close. You need to do better to get there. Not be happy with status quo
This COMPLETELY. You never see the top teams Vegas, TB, Colorado etc just smiling and sitting doing nothing. They are changing pieces and working cap magic, dealing futures for now, yet still having an incredible outlook. I heard Vegas was the youngest team in the league?!?!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You don't? The Kulak-Bouchard pairing was getting crushed before Ekholm was acquired. That whole trade happened because Kulak was showing that he isn't able to handle that workload.

The whole idea of trading Kulak is to give the Oilers flexibility to add an impact RD at the deadline, which would give them that extra level of support.

Vegas has increased the workload of Nic Hague over the years to very solid results. Several years in he's still only on a $2.2m AAV. Zach Whitecloud also solidified himself as a mainstay on their blueline because he gave them good bottom pair value for several seasons. They've used the ELCs to manage their cap.

Kulak has been outstanding two playoffs in a row. He was arguably more effective than Nurse even in both. That's enough for me to bank on.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Kulak has been outstanding two playoffs in a row. He was arguably more effective than Nurse even in both. That's enough for me to bank on.
I agree. There is almost zero chance the Oilers can replace the level of Kulak's play in the playoffs at his price-point.

Reactions: Duke74

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Mostly running it back is fine, but if all we do is buy out Yamamoto and replace him with Brown or - considering that has been doused a bit in cold wayer - throw Foegele or Lavoie in his place... we're not faring any better against Vegas than we did.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kinda wonder if we should just give Klim Kostin a little more and not bother with Connor Brown.

If Brown doesn't sign or gets a better offer elsewhere, then you've lost him and Kostin?

Holland hasn't managed his cap well enough to have flexibility this summer, maybe the best we can do for now is just keep as many contributing players as is and not really focus on adding too much this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad