Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Kenny "The Gambler" Holland, You've Gotta Know When to Hold 'Em, Know When to Walk Away, Know When to Sit on Your Thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I heard Gazolla tell Neilson that his people have told him Perry is not interested signing in Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, but Perry has exactly the kind of attitude that this team needs. Do whatever it takes to win. No amount of dirt is too little.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
It makes some sense, but I keep hearing people on the radio saying the Oilers are patient, they are winning, etc.

So what happens if Skinner pulls his groin tomorrow? Are we bringing Campbell up to start? It would be prudent for them to stop waiting and try their hardest to get a 1A/1B

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
That mediocre goalie still has better stats than the Oilers' current starter ... He would easily be a 1B. Yes, and overpaid one, but I would take that every day of the week over a guy who is barely an AHL backup right now.
Those aren't the only two options
It takes a lot to be as bad as Campbell. Not an easy task. Guy has played for one of the biggest tire fire organizations in the league his entire career. It’s more likely he is rejuvenated and plays better than the opposite. That’s just my opinion though.

A lot of people like to just look at stats and numbers but hockey and especially goaltending is so much more than that. I argued with people on here two summers ago who thought Georgiev was a terrible option because he had bad numbers as a back up in NY. Colorado ended up picking him up and look at the season he gave them.
I'm not going to pretend I know more than actual GMs who also struggle to identify goaltending. In such a volatile position, you go low cost or low term. Not high both, which is what Merzlikins is.

Just because Campbell's contract is bad doesn't mean we have to saddle ourselves with another slightly better but still bad contract

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
It makes some sense, but I keep hearing people on the radio saying the Oilers are patient, they are winning, etc.

So what happens if Skinner pulls his groin tomorrow? Are we bringing Campbell up to start? It would be prudent for them to stop waiting and try their hardest to get a 1A/1B
Theyd bring up Rodrigue who is crushing it right now.

Reactions: ujju2

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
So you're now a huge fan of Monahan because of a rumour linking him to the Oilers?
Wtf is your problem? I posted a rumour about a player the Oilers have interest in based off of radio shows I listen to. Where the f*** did I say I'm a huge fan of his?

If you can't appreciate the rumours I post for all of us, mute or block me. Why are you starting a drama?

I heard Gazolla tell Neilson that his people have told him Perry is not interested signing in Canada
He said that this morning yeah but then Friedman, Stauffer and Seravalli said the opposite. So I'm not sure which one to believe

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Those aren't the only two options

I'm not going to pretend I know more than actual GMs who also struggle to identify goaltending. In such a volatile position, you go low cost or low term. Not high both, which is what Merzlikins is.

Just because Campbell's contract is bad doesn't mean we have to saddle ourselves with another slightly better but still bad contract

You may not be a Goaltending expert. But that Kevin Woodley fella is and he was against the Campbell signing for this very reason. Too much term too much money. Elvis is in that category too.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Wtf is your problem? I posted a rumour about a player the Oilers have interest in based off of radio shows I listen to. Where the f*** did I say I'm a huge fan of his?

If you can't appreciate the rumours I post for all of us, mute or block me. Why are you starting a drama?

He said that this morning yeah but then Friedman, Stauffer and Seravalli said the opposite. So I'm not sure which one to believe
I've found Seravalli to just say shit the fanbase wants to hear. Ex. Yamamoto last year.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

What happens to Colorado if Georgiev pulls his groin tomorrow? What happens to LA if Talbot pulls his groin tomorrow? What happens to Vancouver if Demko pulls his groin tomorrow?

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I’ve posted the exact same thing but folks here seem to think he is going to be a playoff monster based on 2 years ago
It wouldn’t be such a massive problem if we also didn’t have Brown, Erne, Janmark and Hamblin who skate around not doing much. It’s fine in the regular season , but depth is how teams like Vegas and Colorado expose us in the playoffs.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It wouldn’t be such a massive problem if we also didn’t have Brown, Erne, Janmark and Hamblin who skate around not doing much. It’s fine in the regular season , but depth is how teams like Vegas and Colorado expose us in the playoffs.
I agree 100% and that’s why I’m in the trade Kane for depth train. He is in no mans land. Doesn’t play on your PP (well- doesn’t get much time on the pp) or PK and doesn’t play in your top 6 and makes 5.25M. He is horrendous on the defensive side of the puck. I’d rather use that 5.25M to upgrade 3rd line centre, bottom pair D, and, if you can swing it- top 6W. An example is Monahan from Montreal for 3LC (2M), leaving you with 3M for a top 6W with retention. If you get Montreal to retain and you also move Kulak- you can round the team out nicely.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I agree 100% and that’s why I’m in the trade Kane for depth train. He is in no mans land. Doesn’t play on your PP (well- doesn’t get much time on the pp) or PK and doesn’t play in your top 6 and makes 5.25M. He is horrendous on the defensive side of the puck. I’d rather use that 5.25M to upgrade 3rd line centre, bottom pair D, and, if you can swing it- top 6W. An example is Monahan from Montreal for 3LC (2M), leaving you with 3M for a top 6W with retention. If you get Montreal to retain and you also move Kulak- you can round the team out nicely.
Kulak has been money the last 2 playoffs , you keep him all day. As for Monahan- he strikes me as the type of player who does decent on bad teams but would get caved in on a good team. Plus he’s a very poor skater, and a large part of this team’s game are fast Cs. I don’t have many options but perhaps Sprong and Jensen out of Washington would help 2rw and 2rd. I think Holloway is good enough to play with Drai, or put him with McLeod and put Foegele on line 2. There’s no way they get rid of Kane this year, Kenny moves slower than molasses on these things but he needs to be much better especially defensively.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Honest question. With his contract and given how he has played if Pickard were waived today does he get claimed? I suspect that there is a decent chance he does. So many teams are playing goalies that are probably worse.

Early in his career Pickard showed some promise. In his three years in Colorado he actually had significantly better stats than Varlomov. In fact in his last year he played 50 games so it's not like this was a really small sample size. He does have a career .903 sv% in 123 NHL games and right now he has looked ok as a back-up.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Honest question. With his contract and given how he has played if Pickard were waived today does he get claimed? I suspect that there is a decent chance he does. So many teams are playing goalies that are probably worse.

Early in his career Pickard showed some promise. In his three years in Colorado he actually had significantly better stats than Varlomov. In fact in his last year he played 50 games so it's not like this was a really small sample size. He does have a career .903 sv% in 123 NHL games and right now he has looked ok as a back-up.
This. What if Pickard gets claimed? We have no idea how Rodrigue will perform in the NHL.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Cap space is the most valuable thing in the NHL. Any offer that doesn't include 4M buried in the AHL is worth more.
I agree with this. If I owned a NHL team there no way I am paying Campbell 16.5 million to sit in the AHL. (13.5 million after this year and about 1/2 or 2.5 million left this year) Fans like to think you can just snap your fingers and have Campbell gone. Also the better Edmonton plays the less likely a couple of 1st to take Campbell gets it done. Edmonton was at the bottom of the league when they started looking to trade Campbell so a team taking him would at least be getting 1st round high pick. Holland squashed that when he said he wasn't trading this years first. Campbell is done like dinner in Edmonton and will be bought out in the summer. At the trade deadline we probably add a 3rd line centre, a back up goalie maybe a D with max retention on anything we add.

Are trading chips are. Remember we are getting the Kenny special. He would rather hold on to the first round pick to draft a crap player than use it on something good.

Kulak out Broberg up or a cheap bottom pairing LD creates some cap space
3rd line C. Probably a Monahan type of player that has ???
Goalie will be some cheap older back up.

Hopefully Holland isn't the one calling the shots or more and we add some good players that are signed for a few years.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So why do we have to send Pickard down to bring up Rodrigues for a few games.Send down Erne.
What if Erne gets picked up… ;) haha fair enough it’s early.

For some reason I thought we wouldn’t be able to run a full lineup.

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
What happens to Colorado if Georgiev pulls his groin tomorrow? What happens to LA if Talbot pulls his groin tomorrow? What happens to Vancouver if Demko pulls his groin tomorrow?
They are f***** like we are? Vancouver has Desmith, who has performed better than both of our goalies. Wouldn't put them in there.

Good reasoning. Lets not fill any holes or do anything b/c the other guy didn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad