Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Kenny "The Gambler" Holland, You've Gotta Know When to Hold 'Em, Know When to Walk Away, Know When to Sit on Your Thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I just don’t get Holland has done Dick all to help the roster. The fact they look at it and think it’s fine is baffling

Goaltending is balls. We need a top 4 defender. Connor Brown gets more than zero NHL ice time and that needs to change, he can’t play at this level right now. Literally sucks the offense out of everyone around him. Still a top 6 winger for Drai short.
The third line is shit, teams running a first line and a 4th line.

I mean I get it, he only really has a 1st to move but that’s the most valuable thing in the world! That pick could be anything! It could be what we need to help the roster today!….but not for 5-7 business years.

Campbell and Brown failing and pretty much every prospect after the McDavid draft busting has lead us to a situation where we don’t have a good team and we don’t have the pieces to get to a good team.

Maybe he thinks the answer is in the room because if it’s not, then well there is no answer lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I just don’t get Holland has done Dick all to help the roster. The fact they look at it and think it’s fine is baffling

Goaltending is balls. We need a top 4 defender. Connor Brown gets more than zero NHL ice time and that needs to change, he can’t play at this level right now. Literally sucks the offense out of everyone around him. Still a top 6 winger for Drai short.
The third line is shit, teams running a first line and a 4th line.

I mean I get it, he only really has a 1st to move but that’s the most valuable thing in the world! That pick could be anything! It could be what we need to help the roster today!….but not for 5-7 business years.

Campbell and Brown failing and pretty much every prospect after the McDavid draft busting has lead us to a situation where we don’t have a good team and we don’t have the pieces to get to a good team.

Maybe he thinks the answer is in the room because if it’s not, then well there is no answer lol.

Front office is lazy and incompetent, Holland doesn't know how to build a roster without Lidstrom covering for multiple errors he makes.

He never "had" to get a goalie in Detroit, so he doesn't know how to do it here. It was a bonus to get one in Detroit, but it wasn't like a make or break thing for him.

There he could cheat and just have Mr. Best D-Man Of His Generation keep the team humming along with little problems even with cheap-o goalies.

Having had a year+ of this same goaltending tandem is 100% management negligence. Very few other teams in the league would operate like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Echodek

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

You know who I don't see on this list, Elvis Merzlikins. Go f***ing get him.

Also, for those of you who are either just being obtuse or actively have the thoughts turned off.

Waiving Connor Brown isn't about cap, it is about saying "this isn't f***ing good enough" not sure why that's hard to figure out.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It really is pretty f***ing crazy that we haven't made a move yet. I get that the Campbell deal has screwed us pretty badly, and that it's almost impossible to move. But we have 2 years left with McDrai and if we don't make hay in those 2 years, they are both GONE. I want to keep our 1st rounder for adding on other pieces, like everybody does, but "hockey should be called goalie" is a real statement, and the position is "kind of" important, lol. If it takes a first + Broberg or XB to get it done (as it likely will), then you hold your nose, admit your past mistake, and do the deal. Yes, that doesn't get us great tending, but we don't NEED great tending, we need average, or even slightly below average, tending.

Also, for those of you who are either just being obtuse or actively have the thoughts turned off.

Waiving Connor Brown isn't about cap, it is about saying "this isn't f***ing good enough" not sure why that's hard to figure out.

Yeah, Skinner is statistically one of the worst 5 goalies in the league, and its not even close either. Are all our problems related to tending, no, but of the top 5, tending is likely 1 through 3.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Our starter is the worst goaltender in the league statistically but lets evaluate goaltending weekly.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
The perplexing things about our tending situation are:
Are there any better-than-average tenders available now? Apart from a few teams, most feel they are in a playoff contention situation and unlikely to consider moving a goalie ( late Jan / Feb earliest likely).
Should we bring up Rodrique soon, to at least assess how he’s looking at this point, in an NHL context? Or, let him continue his development track in Bako?
Let’s not tie Campbell’s contract to a new tender acquisition. Moving that contract will cost assets that we can’t afford and will need to acquire assets. Buy him out this offseason, unless a realistic trade comes up in the offseason. He can play in Bako and serve as emergency call up the rest of the season.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
we just got dominated by 3 Russian goalies, Vasi, Bob and Sorokin.
I think its time we look into getting us one. We've got Shest on Friday too.

• Haha
Reactions: McTonyBrar

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
The perplexing things about our tending situation are:
Are there any better-than-average tenders available now? Apart from a few teams, most feel they are in a playoff contention situation and unlikely to consider moving a goalie ( late Jan / Feb earliest likely).
Should we bring up Rodrique soon, to at least assess how he’s looking at this point, in an NHL context? Or, let him continue his development track in Bako?
Let’s not tie Campbell’s contract to a new tender acquisition. Moving that contract will cost assets that we can’t afford and will need to acquire assets. Buy him out this offseason, unless a realistic trade comes up in the offseason. He can play in Bako and serve as emergency call up the rest of the season.
This is something I'm surprised we haven't tried yet

We have a goalie in the AHL that sitting at a .935 save %, even in limited games, he still had good numbers last year

But we insist on playing skinner, who is clearly drowning in the workload, and a career ahl goalie who hasn't posted good nhl numbers in 7 years

If you absolutly refuse the trade for a goalie, at least open the mystery box at this point...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Are there any worse moves any GM made last summer that top Holland

1.) Betting again on the Campbell/Skinner goaltending tandem that had failed the season prior. Other team's like LA at least pivoted to a new option like Talbot, but this team? Nope. Now look at where LA is in the standings and where Edmonton is.

2.) Signing Connor Brown to a 4 million dollar contract, which even worse punishes the team's cap the following year

?

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
bit off topic, but what happened to Canadian goaltending? For a long time we had superstar goalies in the league, but now? our best guys are Carter Hart, Binnington? Jarry? Hill? Talbot?

I mean wtf is going on, is Dustin Schwartz sitting at the Canadian Goalie board or some sh*t.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Edmonton Oilers defenceman Philip Broberg appears to be gaining trade value while playing in the AHL.

Broberg was assigned to the AHL on Dec. 7, two days after Oilers general manager Ken Holland denied a report that defenceman's agent, Darrin Ferris, had been granted permission to search for a trade.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports a trade still seems to be most likely outcome for Broberg, but notes he could be moved as part of a bigger deal.

"It remains a curious situation for Philip Broberg. As we know, they're in win-now mode and he couldn't get into the lineup at the NHL level," Dreger said on Insider Trading. "Yet, you look at his [AHL] numbers – he's playing in Bakersfield and he's logging between 25 and 27 minutes per game. He wants to get back into the NHL. That's not likely in Edmonton, unless there's an injury, so trade seems the most likely."

"But here's an interesting twist: maybe it's not just Philip Broberg for an asset coming back to the Edmonton Oilers. Maybe Broberg becomes the sweetener so they can also move Jack Campbell's contract to free up a little bit of cap space. So, Broberg is a commodity, and it seems like that commodity is growing higher day by day."

Selected eighth overall by the Oilers in 2019 draft, Broberg has no points in 10 games with Edmonton this season and one goal and four points in eight AHL games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Go get Maroon and MAF.

Do whatever it takes.

If the price wasn't bad, I wouldn't mind it, but ...

Don't think MAF wants to move. He has one of "those" wifeys that are picky about where they move to and they have school age kids who I don't think they'd want to relocate.

Fun fact: When the Oilers beat the Red Wings in 2006, in part due to Roloson destroying Legace head to head in the 1st round upset, Holland's solution was to the sign 42-year-old Hasek again, lol.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think there is a trade market even after the freeze ends. The closer to the deadline we get, the more will open up as more teams lose hope and become sellers (and fewer are buyers)

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Trade the farm for a goalie. Trade Bourgault. Trade Lavoie. Trade our first rounder for the next 3 seasons - none of it will matter when our cup window is closed and this team is smoldering ashes

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
We don't know if Merzlikins would waive his NTC to come to Edmonton. Let's assume he would.

To CBJ: Campbell, McLeod, Broberg and Edmonton's 2025 1st

To EDM: Merzlikins, Alex Texier and 4th in 2024

The biggest issue I see is that CBJ probably has better options available that would not entail receiving a terrible contract like Campbell's back. For example, they could deal with Buffalo, Chicago or Carolina and not have to receive such a terrible long-term anchor contract back in the trade.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
We don't know if Merzlikins would waive his NTC to come to Edmonton. Let's assume he would.

The biggest issue I see is that CBJ probably has better options available that would not entail receiving a terrible contract like Campbell's back. For example, they could deal with Buffalo, Chicago or Carolina and not have to receive such a terrible long-term anchor contract back in the trade.
I agree with this. There’s tons of teams in the goalie market. If we’re shedding Campbell’s contract we are going to have to overpay alot

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Granted I don't think Buffalo or Chicago will give them a 1st round pick.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

most of the goalies on the list have goalied us as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino