Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Kenny "The Gambler" Holland, You've Gotta Know When to Hold 'Em, Know When to Walk Away, Know When to Sit on Your Thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
And an UFA at season's end. I guess we aren't minding the idea of a sub 6' RHD since we are also looking at Boqvist.
Sure, why do you guys care about UFAs? They have to re-up Leon soon, so having less future cap costs helps.

Also, Walker appears to be better all-around than Ceci and he's cheaper.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sure, why do you guys care about UFAs? They have to re-up Leon soon, so having less future cap costs helps.

Also, Walker appears to be better all-around than Ceci and he's cheaper.
Because we are trying to contend multiple years and dealing Ceci and having Walker walk means that we need a 2RHD again for next season.

Thomas Tatar

Remember we are getting the Kenny special. He would rather hold on to the first round pick to draft a crap player than use it on something good.
I’m all for bashing management when they deserve it but this is blatantly not true. He traded our 1st and a drafted ‘crap’ player last year to bring in Ekholm.

Holland deserves credit where due. He also doesn’t always reveal his plans and I assume if the right player upgrade exists he will trade our 1st again.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
For some I guess. Personally I want my top 4D and most of my top 6 locked in so that we keep going to battle with the same core. Tinker with the bottom pairing and bottom 6 year to year for cap reasons.
I want Connor and Leon locked in until RETIREMENT, the rest can be worked out.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but it's about winning as soon as NOW, if upgrading from Ceci to Walker can help with that, giddy up.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Ceci isn't very good at anything. Meh. Bouchard is a elite offensive d and is improving defensively
Ceci is good enough to hold his own as top 4 D and even top pairing D.
Sure we could use an upgrade and get a legit top pairing RD but there are no guarantees the replacement would be any better.

Reactions: Yuke

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
In: Monohan @ 50% 1.125, Evans (1.7), Parayko (6.5), and Mrazek @ 25% (double retention 950k). Total 10.25

Out: Campbell, Foegele, and Ceci. Total 10.95.

It would take a lot of draft capital and prospects like Broberg/Bourgault/Lavoie to pull that off but I think it’s somewhat realistic if Holland is all in.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
In: Monohan @ 50% 1.125, Evans (1.7), Parayko (6.5), and Mrazek @ 25% (double retention 950k). Total 10.25

It would take a lot of draft capital and prospects like Broberg/Bourgault/Lavoie to pull that off but I think it’s somewhat realistic if Holland is all in.
I would be targeting Monahan and Allen from Mtl. I think we have the pieces to get that done

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I would be targeting Monahan and Allen from Mtl. I think we have the pieces to get that done
Hopefully they are swinging higher or at least better than this.

Monahan isn’t an ideal option for the type of 3C the Oilers need, and Allen is in that meh option goalie category and comes with an almost 4M cap hit for this and another year.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
We need a 2RD next season if we keep Ceci.

basically all the UFA RD are worse than Ceci, except 1 or 2 that will definitely be re-signed with their current team (HRonek). Best case scenario a Demelo shakes loose but probably wants more than Ceci is making and might not even be an upgrade? I don’t know, tough to find a path forward except trade… and even then, who out there is available and worth it? Tough 1. Ceci fills a niche for us.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Screenshot 2024-01-13 122335.jpg

Get some help...

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I’m all for bashing management when they deserve it but this is blatantly not true. He traded our 1st and a drafted ‘crap’ player last year to bring in Ekholm.

Holland deserves credit where due. He also doesn’t always reveal his plans and I assume if the right player upgrade exists he will trade our 1st again.
And all the other years we got the Kenny special with him throwing away 2nd round picks like popcorn flies at the movie theatres.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I don't hate it. Not sure I dig Evans, feel like that's a lot of cash space for not that much player though. And as much as I like Parayko, I think getting someone like Jensen and then a better forward instead of Evans makes us a better team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Akey will be in the top 4 by end of next season.
Smallish offensive defenseman who just missed a year of development with a severe injury? Highly unlikely.

He'd have to blow the doors off the OHL to even get sniff when the junior season ends, and even then he likely doesn't get a look as the Oilers will be making another run into the playoffs and won't want a rookie defenseman barely trained or adjusted to the pro game making mistakes that would cost them wins.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thought it interesting to look at Elvis Merzlikins season stats in more depth both within context of his team's abysmal play (-237 goal share over his tenure) and in comparing to league average results and goal save above average. I've also broke out his results inclusive of his brutal 2022-23 season and without this outlier season of a pretty consistent career.

I might also add more information with an apples to apples direct comparison of stats each year to the team's second best goaltender results. Quick blush is he widely outperforms except in the outlier 2023-24 season where Korpisalo was way better.

This is largely a really consistent goaltender behind a very mediocre team except for a 2019-20 season in which Columbus held their own in goal share. Context is important in assessing this goaltender's ability imo.

YearTeam Goal ShareGAASV% GSAALeague Average
2019-20-32.35
33 gms
2020-21-502.77
28 gms
.91772.74 GAA
2021-22-393.22
59 gms
.9070.722.92 GAA
.907 SV%
2022-23-1164.23
30 gms
.876-24.88
2.97 GAA
.904 SV%
2023-24-293.25
23 gms
.9074.342.95 GAA
.903 SV%
TOTAL-2373.16.906-0.712.88 GAA
.906 SV%
Without Outlier 2022-23 season-1212.95.9126.04 GSAA per season

Reactions: mkatcherin00

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Some third line centers I would like
Kevin Hayes (will have to be @ 50% and has another year on his deal but it will be 1.79m)
Nic Dowd (1.3m next season)
Jason Dickinson (will be ufa but if 50% retained will be 1.3m)

Hayes seems the most unlikely but we seem always win deals with St.Louis.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Some third line centers I would like
Kevin Hayes (will have to be @ 50% and has another year on his deal but it will be 1.79m)
Nic Dowd (1.3m next season)
Jason Dickinson (will be ufa but if 50% retained will be 1.3m)

Hayes seems the most unlikely but we seem always win deals with St.Louis.
Nic Dowd is the perfect add for this team.

I'm trying to will this into existence, but Washington is still winning games unfortunately.

Reactions: McHelpus

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree with this. If I owned a NHL team there no way I am paying Campbell 16.5 million to sit in the AHL. (13.5 million after this year and about 1/2 or 2.5 million left this year) Fans like to think you can just snap your fingers and have Campbell gone. Also the better Edmonton plays the less likely a couple of 1st to take Campbell gets it done. Edmonton was at the bottom of the league when they started looking to trade Campbell so a team taking him would at least be getting 1st round high pick. Holland squashed that when he said he wasn't trading this years first. Campbell is done like dinner in Edmonton and will be bought out in the summer. At the trade deadline we probably add a 3rd line centre, a back up goalie maybe a D with max retention on anything we add.

Are trading chips are. Remember we are getting the Kenny special. He would rather hold on to the first round pick to draft a crap player than use it on something good.

Kulak out Broberg up or a cheap bottom pairing LD creates some cap space
3rd line C. Probably a Monahan type of player that has ???
Goalie will be some cheap older back up.

Hopefully Holland isn't the one calling the shots or more and we add some good players that are signed for a few years.
I still think the least painful option for us to get rid of Campbell is a double retention trade. We retain half and give a team some draft picks, they retain another half and the 3rd team gets Campbell for 1.25 million which could end up being a good deal if he finds his game again, becomes a backup or gets buried in the AHL as an injury option. The 2nd team ends up taking on 3.75 million of dead cap which market value seems to be around a 2nd and a 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad