Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Kenny "The Gambler" Holland, You've Gotta Know When to Hold 'Em, Know When to Walk Away, Know When to Sit on Your Thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

It's why I think Walker might be an upgrade on Ceci

He's also cheaper.

Yeh he’s an interesting option for sure. Maybe a “chip on the shoulder” candidate if we play the Kings again. He’d be an upgrade on Ceci in ways I would prefer, more offense and puck movement. My only gripe about getting him is that he may be a pure rental, and after getting a taste of Kulak and Ekholm as our TDL adds, I’m less inclined to do these pure rental additions.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’m all for bashing management when they deserve it but this is blatantly not true. He traded our 1st and a drafted ‘crap’ player last year to bring in Ekholm.

Holland deserves credit where due. He also doesn’t always reveal his plans and I assume if the right player upgrade exists he will trade our 1st again.
Another Tyler Wright 1st round pick busting??? Who would have thought....

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Smallish offensive defenseman who just missed a year of development with a severe injury? Highly unlikely.

He'd have to blow the doors off the OHL to even get sniff when the junior season ends, and even then he likely doesn't get a look as the Oilers will be making another run into the playoffs and won't want a rookie defenseman barely trained or adjusted to the pro game making mistakes that would cost them wins.
This is misinformation.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Another Tyler Wright 1st round pick busting??? Who would have thought....

Had to look it up. 32 games - 6 points in the AHL. Not a good start for Reid. But this tracks with Wright’s stupidity.

Meanwhile Firkus drafted 3 spots after Reid is putting up 2 PPG in the WHL.

Oh well, atleast we turned this pick into Ekholm. Or it would have been yet another regretful what-could-have-been drafts for the Oilers.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Had to look it up. 32 games - 6 points in the AHL. Not a good start for Reid. But this tracks with Wright’s stupidity.

I was so happy when they got rid of Schaefer. Just an awful pick that had bust written all over him from the moment he was picked.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
This is misinformation.

Can you elaborate? Believe it or not, it’s not exactly clear what you’re trying to say here.

Sure, Akey looked promising in rookie camp at 17/18yo… but … he had a major development-if-not-career-altering injury and has barely played any hockey this season as a result. Plus, he isn’t exactly large for a NHL level defenceman…. In fact it probably is fair to say that he is short of average on the size front at this stage.

So how exactly is this guy supposed to go from hardcore rehab at 18 to an NHL roster next season?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I was so happy when they got rid of Schaefer. Just an awful pick that had bust written all over him from the moment he was picked.

Wrights picks always seem to have so many IFs involved. I know all non blue-chip draft picks do to certain degree but it’s seems more extreme with Wrights picks. Reid’s got NHL size and skating IF he develops NHL skills he might just make it. Ditto with Broberg except substitute hockey IQ and Skill for his IFs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can you elaborate? Believe it or not, it’s not exactly clear what you’re trying to say here.

Sure, Akey looked promising in rookie camp at 17/18yo… but … he had a major development-if-not-career-altering injury and has barely played any hockey this season as a result. Plus, he isn’t exactly large for a NHL level defenceman…. In fact it probably is fair to say that he is short of average on the size front at this stage.

So how exactly is this guy supposed to go from hardcore rehab at 18 to an NHL roster next season?

Was his injury that bad?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

I think Ryan O’Reilly is the perfect mentor for Reid Schaefer, so bust or not I think it’s probably a good situation for him. He has great size, good straight line speed and a shot… so I think it’s fair to at least let him get through his rookie-pro season before declaring him a bust. At 32nd I dont think anyone expected him to go straight to the NHL. Wouldn’t rule him out as a 3C/4C some time in his RFA years.

Was his injury that bad?

Well it was a season ending injury taken very early in the season, and required shoulder surgery. In 2024, without Much detail beyond that, I’m not sure if it’s something to worry about longer term or not. We’ve seen so many Oilers over the years suffer from recurring shoulder injuries but maybe the medical science is past that for this type of injury. I think it said “dislocated shoulder” which doesn’t sound so bad, but if it required season ending surgery it seems a bit worrisome.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think Ryan O’Reilly is the perfect mentor for Reid Schaefer, so bust or not I think it’s probably a good situation for him. He has great size, good straight line speed and a shot… so I think it’s fair to at least let him get through his rookie-pro season before declaring him a bust. At 32nd I dont think anyone expected him to go straight to the NHL. Wouldn’t rule him out as a 3C/4C some time in his RFA years.

Well it was a season ending injury taken very early in the season, and required shoulder surgery. In 2024, without Much detail beyond that, I’m not sure if it’s something to worry about longer term or not. We’ve seen so many Oilers over the years suffer from recurring shoulder injuries but maybe the medical science is past that for this type of injury. I think it said “dislocated shoulder” which doesn’t sound so bad, but if it required season ending surgery it seems a bit worrisome.

Sounds like disclocated shoulder. Klefboms eventually developed into an arthritis or something that was permanent if i recall. Nuges has healed up nicely though and doesn’t seem to be an issue.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Sounds like disclocated shoulder. Klefboms eventually developed into an arthritis or something that was permanent if i recall. Nuges has healed up nicely though and doesn’t seem to be an issue.

It used to be a rite of passage for Oilers, I think Hemmer, Horc, Eberle, Hall, Souray, Visnovsky, Moreau, RNH and more all had shoulder surgery. Some of them never recovered from the pain and considered suicide, for real.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

He/she has 2.2k followers

That account probably just heard the same rumblings we’ve heard.

After the whole Getzlaf to Edmonton fiasco, until it’s pen to paper I really don’t think Perry is coming here.

If he does though, the first 5 questions from media will be “umm so what the hell happened in Chicago?”

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
Since it's an early game tonight and we don't play until Tuesday, wonder if we'll see some moves after the game tonight or tomorrow.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You always post these nobodies on Twitter but I really hope it's right this time.
What nobodies? This dude may not be as legit but dudes like Seravalli, Friedman and Stauffer are legit. Not sure why you have a problem with these posts.

I’m trying to keep everyone alert on updates on our board lol

Reactions: Wreckus

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
What nobodies? This dude may not be as legit but dudes like Seravalli, Friedman and Stauffer are legit. Not sure why you have a problem with these posts.

I’m trying to keep everyone alert on updates on our board lol

This dude is not legit at all. What news has he ever broken? These are literal nobodies, fans without a connection who hear or read a rumor and then just parrot it online.

Stauffer himself said they'd probably interested in adding Perry during the Detroit game. That's probably what this guy is talking about.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Easy. He just has to play well.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Easy. He just has to play well.

So basically the guy who failed to make the team last year is going to suffer a major injury undergo surgery and rehab and play very little hockey but will return to camp next year and win a spot with no extra experience under his belt? Ok. I hope he does, but Id take that bet. Even if he were healthy and lighting up the OHL this org would probably hold him out for a few years of pro seasoning.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
So basically the guy who failed to make the team last year is going to suffer a major injury undergo surgery and rehab and play very little hockey but will return to camp next year and win a spot with no extra experience under his belt? Ok. I hope he does, but Id take that bet.

First time interacting with Gordon? lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
100% would take Perry for league min. Still a very useful player and great in playoffs. No one will remember we signed a questionable Perry. Everyone will remember us wasting McDavid.

He’d be good for pretty much any playoff team with his track record and still effective play. But remember the Getzlaf to EDM rumours and what a waste that was. I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad