Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Duncan Keith has decided to retire" - Pierre LeBrun

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Broberg needs way more development. And even then I doubt he turns into anything special, although I wish the best for him. Just not high on him.

He cannot and should not be in the plans this year.

Interesting

I didn’t pay much attention to him last season but feel like Pens fans wanted to dump him the season prior
Hmm could we possibly be so lucky as to poach two Cecis off the Pens. Payback for them getting all the benefits of Schultz and Marino after they left us.

Reactions: nally

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Kuemper sucks, why this infatuation. This offseason could be an utter failure if he plays anything like he did in the playoffs for us.
I'd be on board with Campbell but def not Kuemper. He let's in as many soft goals as EDM's current goaltending. And the Avs have much better defense than EDM. So imagine that but long term. Woof. lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'd be on board with Campbell but def not Kuemper. He let's in as many soft goals as EDM's current goaltending. And the Avs have much better defense than EDM. So imagine that but long term. Woof. lol
I thought Kosko was bad at sliding outside the box. This guy slides himself into the 1st row if anything lateral happens.

Plus, he’s a goalie that literally needs to “retrain his eyeball”. WTF. Avoid avoid avoid.

Kuemper has been great for a long time and had a bad stretch after suffering a bad eye injury in the playoffs.
We have to hope he recovers from an eye injury too. Hate the risk here.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
On kuemper as well. If you take Avs fans word for it, he’s bad. And they watched him all year.

I’d look into what Coyotes fans would say as well, but they don’t exist.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think the Goalie market just sucks. Probably related to every goalie trending down as goals continue to climb into a new era of high scoring. We’re settling right now for a franchise goalie and a long term high Cap commitment cause we only have 2 or 3 choices at the most. Yes we need a goalie, but maybe this just isn’t the year to go all in for one.

If we can find a shorter term, cheaper option I’d be all over it. Since Husso is off the board, that means this may need to happen through trade. There has to be a basement dweller out there with a decent starter that’s undervalued due to being on a basement dweller. Let’s find that guy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the Goalie market just sucks. Probably related to every goalie trending down as goals continue to climb into a new era of high scoring. We’re settling right now for a franchise goalie and a long term high Cap commitment cause we only have 2 or 3 choices at the most. Yes we need a goalie, but maybe this just isn’t the year to go all in for one.

If we can find a shorter term, cheaper option I’d be all over it. Since Husso is off the board, that means this may need to happen through trade. There has to be a basement dweller out there with a decent starter that’s undervalued due to being on a basement dweller. Let’s find that guy.

That probably means Talbot, Reimer, Allen ... but those teams aren't neccessarily stupid either, that probably means a 2nd + 3rd have to go the other way, two 2nds if they really want to push. Teams will be looking to take advantage of Holland, that's the problem with the trade market. Some of them might even get bold and ask for a 1st.

That or risk it on Matt Murray, but even there I can see Ottawa all of the sudden pulling some shit like "all of the sudden we don't feel like retaining much money at all, you can have him but you have to take him at 6 per".

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He had really good defensive numbers last year. He was sheltered a little though. He played a similar role to Kulak.

mp1.JPG

Solid at defending the blueline, retrieving dump-ins and passing pucks up ice.
I like Pettersson but there is a risk of him not being able to handle higher difficulty competition and he's seen his QoC and minutes dropped for a while now. I would personally just re-sign Kulak for the 3rd pairing+play up if injuries role and pay the higher price for a guy with a track record playing vs strong competition for the 2LHD role like Sanheim/Chychrun/Skjei (personally I lean towards Sanheim b/c likely cheaper trade value).
He's on it according to Ken. 3 young guys battling for 2 spots, don't see him not making it tbh
Who was the third he mentioned? I assume Broberg and Niemelainen are two of them. Samorukov or Desharnais I'm guessing?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I still think Gibson winds up in Washington via trade before UFA day, Campbell will wind up in Edmonton and Kuemper will sign in Toronto.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Does no one see Broberg making the team next year?
Spot duty. Unless he takes that 2LD spot, he's in tough to displace Kulak or whoever we sign to replace him. Samorukov is also going to get a long look and I doubt he comes into camp out of shape or underprepared.

We're overlooking the rookies a lot though. Samorukov, Broberg, Niemelainen and Desharnais will all be options next season.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I still think Gibson winds up in Washington via trade before UFA day, Campbell will wind up in Edmonton and Kuemper will sign in Toronto.

This would make the most sense for everyone. If Campbell isn’t re-signed by the end of the weekend I think he’s coming here

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Kuemper has been great for a long time and had a bad stretch after suffering a bad eye injury in the playoffs.
Ya I don't get how anyone that just sat through Mike Smith in the playoffs could be concerned about Kuemper lol.

He's not elite but he's an NHL starter. Whoever comes here is going to expose how good the Oilers were making Mike Smith look in net and how good Smith made the Oilers breakout look.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Ya I don't get how anyone that just sat through Mike Smith in the playoffs could be concerned about Kuemper lol.

He's not elite but he's an NHL starter. Whoever comes here is going to expose how good the Oilers were making Mike Smith look in net and how good Smith made the Oilers breakout look.
Good point, Smith was probably a better puck mover than any current defenseman on the roster so that's unfortunately the one area where he might be missed. Oilers D is gonna be panic throwing the puck around the boards even more next season.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
He has to beat out someone.
Agreed. But, who is that guy that he could take a spot from? If we upgrade the lost Keith and re-sign Kulak that's basically 2.5m+ eating popcorn as he would be the low man on the LHd totem pole. Kulak showed better than that too.

And if we keep our RHD in tact there isn't much room there either. If we trade Barrie for Soucy and re-sign Kulak we can run

Nurse-Bouch
Soucy-Ceci
Kulak-X/Broberg/Nemo/Samo etc

X could be any FA dman. Subban or Braun I could see coming quite cheap, I'd probably gamble on Subban tbh. This would allow us to resign everyone we want, get Kane and a goalie. Trade foegele for a pick.

Yams-2.5
Pulju-2.75
Kane-7m
G-6m
Mcleod-1.25
Kulak-2.75

=22.5m used. I keep seeing we have ~22.25m in cap space, so the Soucy savings on Barrie would be used on 4th line fwd/FA Dman. But I also took the high end for Kane and the G. This gives us a lineup of

Kane-McDavid-Yamamoto
Nuge-Drai-hyman
Holloway-Mcleod-Pulju
X-Ryan-X

Nurse-Bouchard
Soucy-Ceci
Kulak-FA/Broberg/Samo

G/Skinner

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Does no one see Broberg making the team next year?

Keith retiring makes it less more likely, but I still think he's more value as a call up and injury replacement vs. starting in a depth role on the big team.

Imo there's a few ways you can tackle the defence (I'm going to assume Kulak is back)

1) Keep Barrie, and run a high offence group

Nurse-Bouchard
Kulak-Barrie
Niemo/Samo/UFA/Trade-Ceci

2a) Trade Barrie, and bring in a cheap 4/5 via trade or UFA (think like Ian Cole, Ryan Murray, Srtalman or Maatta) to pair with a kid on the 3rd pairing.

Nurse-Bouchard/Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard/Ceci
With the bottom pairing being something like Niemo/Samo-Murray or Broberg-Stralman

2b) Or aim a little bigger and bring in another true top 4 guy (Manson in UFA or someone like Dumoulin via trade). Pairing them with either Nurse or Ceci and having the other babysit a kid.

Nurse-Broberg
Dumoulin-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard

Nurse-Manson
Kulak-Bouchard
Niemo-Ceci

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That probably means Talbot, Reimer, Allen ... but those teams aren't neccessarily stupid either, that probably means a 2nd + 3rd have to go the other way, two 2nds if they really want to push. Teams will be looking to take advantage of Holland, that's the problem with the trade market. Some of them might even get bold and ask for a 1st.

That or risk it on Matt Murray, but even there I can see Ottawa all of the sudden pulling some shit like "all of the sudden we don't feel like retaining much money at all, you can have him but you have to take him at 6 per".
If there’s a team out there that’s hot enough on Pulju and has one of these goalies maybe we can work something in. We just spent picks to save cap. You could argue picks for a more appropriately paid goalie is better, we get a hole filled and still save cap.

Reimer seems to have done well for the Sharks. Maybe something can be worked out in relation to Kane, but unfortunately that’s still in the air due to the arbitrator still hiding out at Gary’s lake house

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
With the extra cap space, if we still find Kane is too expensive in money or term, who should we target? Palat seems to be going to market. Giroux? Kadri too expensive. I think Forsberg is going back to Nashville for around 8.5AAV is my guess. Nichuskin seems to be priority for the Avs so unlikely.

Or do we target 2 lesser guys instead?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With the extra cap space, if we still find Kane is too expensive in money or term, who should we target? Palat seems to be going to market. Giroux? Kadri too expensive. I think Forsberg is going back to Nashville for around 8.5AAV is my guess. Nichuskin seems to be priority for the Avs so unlikely.

Or do we target 2 lesser guys instead?
I feel like they'd be better off targeting a couple lesser guys.

Mason Marchment and a #2LD or a couple third liners or something like that.

Reactions: Macheteops

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Wonder who pays for Palat. Smart of Tampa if they don't; they already got max value out of him. 7th round pick who quickly turned into a 50 point guy and a playoff performer. Must be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad