Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Duncan Keith has decided to retire" - Pierre LeBrun

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I feel like they'd be better off targeting a couple lesser guys.

Mason Marchment and a #2LD or a couple third liners or something like that.
If that is the end result this offseason was a massive failure. Marchment is 27 and put up those point totals on a team who was the highest scoring team in the league in a year that had every single players numbers inflated. There is more evidence of him being a nothing next year than him replicating the year he just had. I can't imagine a team creating this much cap space to not add a single impact forward.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
This is the best team I could put together with 250,000 to spare. I tried to find some versatile additions. Pysyk can play D or RW, Kulak and Weegar can both play LD/RD. Bobrovsky at half price for 4 years excites me more than Campbell at 5x5m or Kuemper at 6x5.

D.Strome-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Draisaitl-Giroux
Holloway-Hopkins-Yamamoto
Deslauriers-Ryan
Malone-Griffith

Nurse-Weegar
Kulak-Bouchard
Broberg-Ceci
Niemelainen-Pysyk

Bobrovsky (50% retained)
Skinner

Last edited:

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
How many time's have I said that ROGERS is the most INCOMPETENT f***in Company on Planet Earth. A nationwide network is down affecting cellphones, debit machines, banking systems, f***in 911 services. What a joke of a clown show company. Sportsnet is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the incompetence at this company.
I wonder if they tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. 🤷‍♂️

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Am I the only person that feels as though Campbell or Keumper could both quite easily be worse than Smith? I understand that we need a starting goalie and I also appreciate that the free agent pool is shallow, but this almost feels like fans clamoring for an immediate boat anchor contract.

There's got to be a way to power through next season without mortgaging the cap future on a middling goalie.

Reactions: MessierII

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Those stats are kind of BS though. It’s not an individual goalie stat. If smith plays the puck to nurse who makes a bad play and turns it over why is that smiths fault? This stat isn’t measuring how well the goalie plays the puck it’s measuring how well the D get the puck out after the goalie gets it to them.
First of all I never said anything about Smith though just Kuemper. Also the stat seems to mostly correlate with what happens? Binnington is probably the overall best goaltender at playing the puck at a high rate while being efficient, which was on full display both during their 2019 Cup run and was causing Colorado's dump and chase nightmares this year. Smith has the highest volume of playing the puck in the entire NHL which means he also does it in more dangerous situations than anyone else leading to lower efficiency. Kuemper meanwhile never plays the puck whatsoever and also doesn't tend to do much with it when he does. As for measuring how well the D get the puck out, Colorado's defense includes Makar/Toews/Byram, I think we can safely say that they're better than most teams at transitioning the puck out.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Am I the only person that feels as though Campbell or Keumper could both quite easily be worse than Smith? I understand that we need a starting goalie and I also appreciate that the free agent pool is shallow, but this almost feels like fans clamoring for an immediate boat anchor contract.

There's got to be a way to power through next season without mortgaging the cap future on a middling goalie.
I would prefer Bobrovsky at 5m or Reimer over them personally. If Reimer doesn't work out, we can revisit things at the deadline or over the summer.

Reactions: Evilsports

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

They will be different goaltenders than Smith, not worse. It will be how quickly the team can find chemistry with the new tandem.

Puck Handling is Smiths office, and that will be missed.

And I am sure the goalie we will sign will have high end skills/qualities that stand out, that would benefit the team when utilize properly.
Just how the team adjusted to Smith's puck-handling and fiery competitiveness.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Talbot. Good contract. Run and him and Skinner. Smith can apologize for beating him up at trying camp the. Teach him how to play the puck. /thread

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
First of all I never said anything about Smith though just Kuemper. Also the stat seems to mostly correlate with what happens? Binnington is probably the overall best goaltender at playing the puck at a high rate while being efficient, which was on full display both during their 2019 Cup run and was causing Colorado's dump and chase nightmares this year. Smith has the highest volume of playing the puck in the entire NHL which means he also does it in more dangerous situations than anyone else leading to lower efficiency. Kuemper meanwhile never plays the puck whatsoever and also doesn't tend to do much with it when he does. As for measuring how well the D get the puck out, Colorado's defense includes Makar/Toews/Byram, I think we can safely say that they're better than most teams at transitioning the puck out.
I’m just pointing out what the stat is measuring. It’s not a goalie stat. The only individual thing being measured in terms of the goalie is the frequency they play puck. Whether playing the puck leads to a zone exit is not just a goalie thing that’s up to the 5 guys in front of the goalie.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I would offer him 8 x 5.2 and see if he bites

Ya or even start at 5 or the high 4s (4.75-4.85).

Ceci got noticeably exposed after being elevated to the top pairing. Just keep him on the 2nd pair where he actually succeeded all year.

Yes getting someone like Klingberg would be huge. Ceci would be 2nd pair and Bouch will be 3rd.

Then can move Barrie's contract to get help elsewhere

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Dear Kenny,

Sign:
Kane
Campbell
Kulak
Gudbranson

Trade for Connor Brown, Zadina

Foegele and Barrie traded

Kane-McDavid-Yamamoto
Hyman-Drai-Brown
Holloway-RNH-Zadina
… Solid top 9

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard
Broberg-Gudbranson

Campbell
Skinner
Edit: forgot about Hyman..even better!

Reactions: McDoused

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Anyone think we should try to target Klingberg? With him at 1RHD, Ceci would be 2nd pair and Bouch will be 3rd.

Then can move Barrie's contract to get help elsewhere....to replace Keith

Ngl our defense would be so much improved

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Offer sheet Jake Oettinger or break the bank for Connor Hellebuyck, neither of those work go for John Gibson.
Revenge f***ing over Dallas for all the misery they caused us in the 90s and 00s? Now that would be awesome! :laugh:

I think old Uncle Ken wants Kuemper though... If he does may be pray that he returns to full health.

Reactions: CM4

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Okay guys I figured it out.

Campbell 5x5
Kane 5.5x8
Giroux 4.75x2
Yamamoto 2.5x2
McLeod 1x1.2
Kulak 2.5x4
Lazar 1x850k

Unload Barrie, Foegele and JP while getting Travis Sanheim from Philly (get a 3rd team to retain 50%)

Run the 11-7 with lots of flexibility at forward.

Kane-McDavid-Yamamoto
Bourgault-Draisaitl-Giroux
Hyman-RNH-Holloway
Lazar-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Sanheim-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg
Niemo

Campbell
Skinner

Dear Kenny,

Sign:
Kane
Campbell
Kulak
Gudbranson

Trade for Connor Brown, Zadina

Foegele and Barrie traded

Kane-McDavid-Yamamoto
RNH-Drai-Brown
Holloway-McLeod-Zadina
… Solid top 9

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard
Broberg-Gudbranson

Campbell
Skinner
No hyman?

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I’m just pointing out what the stat is measuring. It’s not a goalie stat. The only individual thing being measured in terms of the goalie is the frequency they play puck. Whether playing the puck leads to a zone exit is not just a goalie thing that’s up to the 5 guys in front of the goalie.
It definitely isn't just a goalie thing, but I think we can agree that Colorado has one of the best skater units in the league at transitioning the puck safely and efficiently out of their zone right? Chances are Kuemper is not playing the puck in an ideal manner and he's definitely never had the reputation for being a particularly good puck handler. He also plays the puck at a very low volume so it's not like he's taking big risks.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Revenge f***ing over Dallas for all the misery they caused us in the 90s and 00s? Now that would be awesome! :laugh:

I think old Uncle Ken wants Kuemper though... If he does may be pray that he returns to full health.
I will never forget Mike Keane telling fans to 'go home, it's over' after they won that series. I still see red when I think about it.

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Read on Leafs forum about Campbell

“Soup kinda let me down with the unknown head space he got into last year and even though he is likeable theres just a gut feeling that something went weird and we don't want to be in that same position if it is already a "known Learn't Behaviour" management may now conclude towards.”

If that “head space” is related to dealing with the pressures of the Toxic Toronto Market… there could be an opportunity that he plays better here than there. That’d be the only reason I push for Campbell.

Reactions: McDoused

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It definitely isn't just a goalie thing, but I think we can agree that Colorado has one of the best skater units in the league at transitioning the puck safely and efficiently out of their zone right? Chances are Kuemper is not playing the puck in an ideal manner and he's definitely never had the reputation for being a particularly good puck handler. He also plays the puck at a very low volume so it's not like he's taking big risks.
I mean guys who are good at it tend to do it more so sure. Guys who suck at it don’t do it much. This is also just playoffs where team matchups play a role. This isn’t every goalie over the entire season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad