Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Duncan Keith has decided to retire" - Pierre LeBrun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Ken, it's your job
Don't fear a trade
And spurn the crowd who hates your face

Trade for rights or not
Draft is weak, not strong
This is known, so do it all from Montreal

Media's shilled, they've balked, we've read,
We've talked, we know, we know
Oil fans have been here before

Hey, now Ken will makes trades
Hey, but please don't get squeezed like that
Hey, like you did in the Keith tra-ade
Hey, don't get squeezed again like that.

Last thread well over the 1K post mark.

Serevalli pondering JP will be used as a chip to San Jose for the balance of Kane's deal (which was suggested by *I think* Levins a few weeks back). Suggests Keith is 65/35 towards retiring.

Lots of teams kicking tires on him.
The Habs supposedly like Barrie
Campbell and Giroux are UFA targets
Keith pondering retirement?

The media is "Selling The Drama" indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 48g90a138pts

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
The latest DFO Rundown episode wasn't 'juicy' at all - the jist of it is that Pulju is almost certainly being traded for another player in a similar situation (we already knew that) and that Keith might retire, but he might not retire. Nothing new in there at all.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe, as part of bigger deal, the Oilers can swing something with the Canes.

To CAR: Puljujarvi, Barrie, Samorukov and 29th overall

To EDM: Pesce & Bokk

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Watch the trade be Puljujarvi for Nyquist.
Columbus GM is Finnish and Laine is on the team (who Puljujarvi played with in WJC). Also, Nyquist former Red Wing who Holland loved.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Maybe, they've been trying to for years though.
The fans have speculated trading him for forward help (I'd argue most of that trade talk happened before Hamilton was allowed to walk as an UFA). Media sources closer to the organization know how much the Canes value his analytics and understand the value he brings as a top-pairing D at $4.025M AAV.

Reactions: The Safe Play

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The fans have speculated trading him for forward help (I'd argue most of that trade talk happened before Hamilton was allowed to walk as an UFA). Media sources closer to the organization know how much the Canes value his analytics and understand the value he brings as a top-pairing D at $4.025M AAV.
Well don't bother I guess. Maybe just release Puljujarvi, save time.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If Keith retires who do the Oilers get to fill in his 20 minutes a night on the 2nd pairing?
I'd be pretty comfortable with Kulak in that role. Keith didn't fare well at all vs elites and was only okay vs 2nd tier competition.

I don't think they can go Kulak-Bouchard and Broberg-Barrie, though. Need a cycle breaker of some kind and there's not much physicality between those four...but not like Keith was physical either I guess. Insert Nemo vs bigger teams?

Reactions: The Safe Play

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If Keith retires I expect them to re-sign Kulak, and roll with Broberg next season. I think they expect Bouchard to take a huge step, and I think the gamble is that even if Broberg/Bouchard struggle, it won't cost them a playoff spot if they're able to add a goalie and some depth up front, and they'll be able to look for a rental at the deadline to shore up the D. To be honest I don't hate the strategy, though personally I would prefer to cheap out on goaltending over defence.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Maybe, as part of bigger deal, the Oilers can swing something with the Canes.

To CAR: Puljujarvi, Barrie, Samorukov and 29th overall

To EDM: Pesce & Bokk
Bad timing to consider trading Pesce from Carolina's perspective. Bear's on his way out and DeAngelo may or may not re-sign depending on contract negotiation. Their right side D is full of uncertainty but to suggest trading their best RD is unrealistic.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Well don't bother I guess. Maybe just release Puljujarvi, save time.
Numerous options exist between trading Puljujarvi as part of a package to acquire Pesce (one of the best value contracts in the league) and releasing him. One can aim high in a trade return; however, the odds are low that Carolina bites.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If they can work some magic and get Kane retained/Keith retires, I think it does open the door for a guy like Giroux to come in and replace Puljujarvi, which means they can afford to take less on a Puljujarvi trade, and also maybe take a bit of a risk on defence with Broberg.

Kane - McDavid - Hyman
Nuge - Draisaitl - Giroux

Is a top six that would be pretty unstoppable, and they have some options for the third line too, plus Yamamoto who can play up in Nuge's spot. It's a versatile, elite top six.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If Keith retires who do the Oilers get to fill in his 20 minutes a night on the 2nd pairing?
Just so many people though.

UFAs - Leddy, Edler, Maatta, Cole, De Haan, Zadorov(his fancies were actually good), Hagg, etc.

Trades(maybe) - Sanheim, Gavrikov(if you can get him), Graves, Edmundson, Martinez, Dillion, etc

Numerous options exist between trading Puljujarvi as part of a package to acquire Pesce (one of the best value contracts in the league) and releasing him. One can aim high in a trade return; however, the odds are low that Carolina bites.
Sure, but in the end, given the rumoured market, probably just easier to move on.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I think Jesse ends up in SJ and the Oilers end up taking Kanes contract from them with 2 - 2.5 retained. We'll have him for 4.5 - 5 x 3, pick up Campell at 5 x 5 and maybe Giroux at 5 x 3. Yamo will need a bridge of 2.5 x 2, and Kulak signed at 2.5 x 3. Barrie and Foegele out for picks, Keith retires, and Smith is LTIR for the year.

I have no idea if that works money wise lol. Giroux probably wouldn't fit. Still need to sign McLeod and other minor pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad