Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Duncan Keith has decided to retire" - Pierre LeBrun

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The Leafs are focused on Campbell because that's who they have rights with now for free, so might as well talk to him for a week and see how it goes.

I'm fine with Kuemper as well as Campbell, just not at the term rumored that Kuemper wants. 6 years? No chance. 4 years? I will be fine with it.

I think Campbell has same agent as Mike Smith, right? Wonder if Holland has been doing some hypothetical scenarios behind the scenes.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think you need a high end D. I don't think you need a shut down D. I think you need a D who can reliably play 20 minutes a night and can step up and play 22-24 in the case that there is an injury to Nurse.

Guys like Soucy, Kulak, Sandin.... I don't trust they can do that.
In the instance that a high end player is hurt for an extended time, I believe that it's better for your end team to absorb those responsibilities. Instead of one player usurping that role, you elevate the minutes of everyone.

I trust that all six of those players could handle a 20 minute a night workload in that instance. Sandin, although a young player, seems poised to handle a heavier workload. And he possesses a lot of the qualities that would compliment a safe D like Ceci.

And you have to remember that the money you save on that unit gets utilized elsewhere on the roster. If you could afford to ice a competitive third line, your defense could be facing significantly lighter workload.

The point that I'm trying to make is that the 2LD shouldn't really be focused on a 'veteran'. I'd like to see if our front office could unearth an underutilized asset because two years from now, this defensive unit is going to look very different.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Goaltending could get dicey, Oilers have to have a plan if Toronto and Washington scoop up Campbell and Kuemper.

Then your options basically become a trade.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Should Kenny throw a Klefbom type deal to Bouch to see if he accepts. If we can pull it off, Bouch can go crazy and get us 60 pts and we won’t have to give him Nurse money

Bouchard would be silly to accept any long term contract in an offseason before he gets any significant PP time

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Goaltending could get dicey, Oilers have to have a plan if Toronto and Washington scoop up Campbell and Kuemper.

The trade options will cost assets but may help us avoid another albatross contract. May not be the worst thing.

I fully trust Holland to get a starter for next year. I don't trust him to spend or trade wisely though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The trade options will cost assets but may help us avoid another albatross contract. May not be the worst thing.

I fully trust Holland to get a starter for next year. I don't trust him to spend or trade wisely though.

The issue with a trade is likely other teams will opt to be jerks to us and demand a high price knowing we are desperate.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016

Kind of interesting everyone is saying Washington. They have 13 forwards signed, 5 d, and no goalies with 9 mil in cap. Samsonov needs a 3.5 mil qualifying offer I believe. They will have to fill in for Backstrom too and last I heard he wasn't a full season ltir option. Seems impossible they could fit in one of these two without making some significant moves, unless I'm missing something.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The issue with a trade is likely other teams will opt to be jerks to us and demand a high price knowing we are desperate.
Possible. So maybe we should swing for the fences since the price is high anyways (Helly, Gibson) or take Murray who requires retention and Ottawa desperately wants to move so no one can screw us, ha.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So let's say the following happens...

Campbell 5x5
Kulak 4 x 2.5
Yamo 2x 3 (not sure he signs quite that cheap)
McLeod 2 x 1.5

That leaves 7 million left with this roster

xxxxx-McDavid-Hyman
Nuge-Drai-Yamo
Holloway-McLeod-xxxx
Foegele-Ryan-xxxx
Shore
Malone

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouch
Broberg-Barrie
Niemo

Campbell
Skinner

That's 7m remaining for a top line winger, and 3rd + 4th line wingers. You can find a couple more mill if you move Foegele/sign Deslauriers AND move Barrie for a cheaper shut down D.

If you want Kane, you're filling those other 2 forward spots with reclamation projects and/or vets signing league min to win. Giroux probably just makes more sense
I think your forgetting smith on ltir. We have 22.1 million.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Puljujarvi+ for Pettersson and Heinen
Foegele for Murray with $2.75M retained

With $300k in cap to spare.

9a97f96c1d8d15fd5755ddfdb0f74961.png

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Not really a fan of Campbell, but this should be an easy battle for the Oilers to win.

"you can let 5 goals a game and we'll still get past the first round, so no pressure"

Indeed

Or

“Would you like to play for a team that doesn’t melt down with a lead in the series in the first round and actually makes it to the 2nd and beyond?”

Reactions: Ragdoll and Tarus

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Kind of interesting everyone is saying Washington. They have 13 forwards signed, 5 d, and no goalies with 9 mil in cap. Samsonov needs a 3.5 mil qualifying offer I believe. They will have to fill in for Backstrom too and last I heard he wasn't a full season ltir option. Seems impossible they could fit in one of these two without making some significant moves, unless I'm missing something.
I think Backstrom has the same hip surgery as Kesler. It's not common for NHLers planning to keep playing. I think they can't assume LTIR all year in case he recovers well, but this is also one that could cost him his career. It's essentially a partial hip replacement.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I'd give away Barrie for cap space right now, today... Might even pay Arizona to take him.

I just can't look past his inability to defend. When I picture Tyson Barrie in my head it's just people walking him over and over in different ways.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Possible. So maybe we should swing for the fences since the price is high anyways (Helly, Gibson) or take Murray who requires retention and Ottawa desperately wants to move so no one can screw us, ha.

Yeah my worry is teams will do the dumb bullshit of

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, Jake Allen is a quality goaltender and we just can't let him go for any less than a 1st round pick ... or maybe two 2nd rounders"

or

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, Matt Murray is a 2 time Stanley Cup champion, you expect us to retain 50%? We retain 15% only"

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If I was Bouchard's agent I'm signing nothing, but 1 year deals till he gets a shot on the top PP unit. I know the dream is we short change him on offensive opportunities for one more season and then get him hooked on some fantastic long term value contract, but I don't see it happening.

I don't suspect his agent is dumb, he knows who he is and has a good idea of what he is capable of, we'd likely just be kicking the big payday can 1 year further out.

I say just make the best team and let the chips fall where they may, while being a touch mindful of the upcoming extensions we'll need to sign.
The dream isn't about undercutting his earning potential. The dream is about him becoming a legitimate top pairing defenseman that plays both sides of the puck and not a guy who makes a ton of money based on a boatload of fluff production.

Bouchard is a 6'3 defenseman. He has the ability to get stronger. He has the ability to be smarter. Having him focus on the defensive side of the game and be held accountable for those minutes instead of complicating matters by running him 4+ minutes a night on the PP.

Klefbom led the league in icetime at points when he was QBing that unit. That shouldn't happen.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd be on the phones trying to offer Warren Foegele for Cam Talbot right now.

Talbot-Skinner should be an OK 1-2 and Talbot being a short term deal means you get a chance to see what you have in Skinner.

Reactions: yakcity1064
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad