Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Duncan Keith has decided to retire" - Pierre LeBrun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Originally, seeing Murray traded to the Oilers scared the living shit outta me but the idea of signing Campbell to a long term contract is horrifying , guy seems fragile mentally and his lows are real low. Kuemper ain’t much better, guy seems to find a new injury every year and he almost single-handedly lost the finals for the Avs, guy couldn’t even look decent behind the best team in league. Murray at 50% wouldn’t be the best but at least it’s only two years versus giving Campbell or Kuemper 5-6 year contracts, AAV isn’t exactly low on those contracts either.

• Love
Reactions: Ken Morey

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Good point, Smith was probably a better puck mover than any current defenseman on the roster so that's unfortunately the one area where he might be missed. Oilers D is gonna be panic throwing the puck around the boards even more next season.
If puck moving is a concern then stay away from Kuemper. Both a low volume puck handler and inefficient.

Reactions: McWeber

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The smart play with Broberg would have him start in the AHL and have a guy like Niemelainen in the press box and playing the odd game when someone is a little banged up.

Then if there's a serious injury, you bring up Broberg to play regular minutes.

Reactions: Magnum23

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I'd be on board with Campbell but def not Kuemper. He let's in as many soft goals as EDM's current goaltending. And the Avs have much better defense than EDM. So imagine that but long term. Woof. lol

Where are you getting this information? It’s not even remotely true

Reactions: Faelko

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wonder who pays for Palat. Smart of Tampa if they don't; they already got max value out of him. 7th round pick who quickly turned into a 50 point guy and a playoff performer. Must be nice.
How long till his body starts slowing down? Those guys in Tampa have a full 82 game season over everyone else over the last three seasons. That'll catch up to them eventually.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I remember the leafs overplaying Campbell until he either got hurt or became burnt out and his game fell off.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I remember the leafs overplaying Campbell until he either got hurt or became burnt out and his game fell off.

Sounds like how the Oilers ran their goaltending the last few years. Run Smith till he crumbles. Then run Koskinen into the ground. Hopefully we dont see it as much with Woodcroft, but I dont know who tells the goalies whos playing.

Reactions: McHelpus

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
How long till his body starts slowing down? Those guys in Tampa have a full 82 game season over everyone else over the last three seasons. That'll catch up to them eventually.
At the very least the answer is likely "well before whatever contract he signs this summer is over." He's 31 and probably looking to cash out.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I like Pettersson but there is a risk of him not being able to handle higher difficulty competition and he's seen his QoC and minutes dropped for a while now. I would personally just re-sign Kulak for the 3rd pairing+play up if injuries role and pay the higher price for a guy with a track record playing vs strong competition for the 2LHD role like Sanheim/Chychrun/Skjei (personally I lean towards Sanheim b/c likely cheaper trade value).

Who was the third he mentioned? I assume Broberg and Niemelainen are two of them. Samorukov or Desharnais I'm guessing?

Sammy

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I hope they don't get into a bidding war with Kuemper he just won the cup he is only looking for a big retirement contract, At least Campbell will still be more motivated to raise a cup

Reactions: Magnum23

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It’s not often you get mulligans on two bad contracts. Holland did with Kassian and Keith, let’s hope he makes good use of them.
Unfortunately he looks like he's in the same spot as when he had money last year. Cap space but no free agents worth spending it on and no trade chips with enough value to bring in a big name.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This is alot funnier than its intended to be.
If puck moving is a concern then stay away from Kuemper. Both a low volume puck handler and inefficient.

Those stats are kind of BS though. It’s not an individual goalie stat. If smith plays the puck to nurse who makes a bad play and turns it over why is that smiths fault? This stat isn’t measuring how well the goalie plays the puck it’s measuring how well the D get the puck out after the goalie gets it to them.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Some pretty smart GMs in Yzerman and Sakic spending picks to go get cheaper, shorter term, less proven Goalies through trade instead of throwing their hat into the eventual UFA goaltender sweepstakes.

Arguably a guy like Campbell is just as unproven as Husso or George… older too.

Reactions: Macheteops

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Those stats are kind of BS though. It’s not an individual goalie stat. If smith plays the puck to nurse who makes a bad play and turns it over why is that smiths fault? This stat isn’t measuring how well the goalie plays the puck it’s measuring how well the D get the puck out after the goalie gets it to them.
Was going to say this too. Advanced stats confusing teams stats for individual stats as usual.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
If it's between Kuemper and Campbell.

One with a Stanley Cup and one that is ready to Challenge.

They are both Starters. Both would do well here.

Holland only has a certain amount slotted for a Goalie.

So, basically whomever is closest to his set amount aside. That's our Goalie.
He has to set aside enough for other key players.

They probably need to do a health check on Kuemper, how is his eye injury from POs.
It should be fine, since he did win the cup, right?

I think if Kuemper comes here, since he has some injury issues when he plays for long periods.

I would play Skinner every 2 -3 games Keumper plays. Consistent.

This might lower injury, since Keumper plays a style that strenuous for longer periods of time.

Campbell, from I've read is showing the signs in why he was such high draft pick.

I think the one that knows we can win the Stanley Cup with them will come here.

Reactions: nally and PGW

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Offer sheet Jake Oettinger or break the bank for Connor Hellebuyck, neither of those work go for John Gibson.

Dallas will match and Hellebuyck is very unlikely to be traded.

Unfortunately the market is slim and its basically between Kuemper and Campbell if we are lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad