Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg Wants Out, Holland Sheds a Tear and Questions His Life Decisions While Making $13,698 a Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Looking like quite the miss right now. According to Gazzola though, he was told there were character/personality/demeanour issues for why we didn’t draft Wallstedt. I just don’t trust Wright to be able to make that call.

Yeah that's what I was alluding to by saying they just wrote him off. I guess this team prefers to pay big money for UFAs with character issues instead of taking the risk with a rookie. Just bizarre to me.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Looking like quite the miss right now. According to Gazzola though, he was told there were character/personality/demeanour issues for why we didn’t draft Wallstedt. I just don’t trust Wright to be able to make that call.
Considering they were dealing with the tail end of the Puljujarvi drama, I can see why they would be skittish about something like that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hmm yeh. I’d love to see him next to McDavid though. Everyone’s always talking about a winger that can “keep up” with him, the Duke is elite on the rush.
Maybe something like this?

To Edmonton: Blackwood and Duclair ($5.35 million)
To San Jose: Campbell, Broberg and McLeod ($7.930 million)

Then with the added cap space look for a few bottom 6 options.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Considering they were dealing with the tail end of the Puljujarvi drama, I can see why they would be skittish about something like that.
If it was related to not wanting to be here, sure… if it was related to something else personality wise, then it question their ability to read that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

I’d have to look at Blackwood more closely, but that’s in the ball park of something I’d strongly consider if the Sharks were game.

I would prefer to look at maybe XB or Lavoie in place of Mcleod though but that doesn’t give us the freed up cap space. Coffey had a pre game coaching session with Mcleod during an optional skate right before the Winnipeg game. Mcleod puts up two points… I’d like to see that through.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’d have to look at Blackwood more closely, but that’s in the ball park of something I’d strongly consider if the Sharks were game.

I would prefer to look at maybe XB or Lavoie in place of Mcleod though but that doesn’t give us the freed up cap space. Coffey had a pre game coaching session with Mcleod during an optional skate right before the Winnipeg game. Mcleod puts up two points… I’d like to see that through.
I'm skeptical of McLeod and Bourgault tbh. McLeod due to his softness and Bourgault due to not being a very dynamic player. As you say McLeod's departure would open up cap while Bourgault's wouldn't.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I’d keep VD and look to upgrade Ceci but yeh I wouldn’t mind a trade with CBJ to get rid of the two sources of the most frustration I have with the oilers, which is the Campbell signing and the Broberg pick.
My belief in this if you can push your six to a seven it will relieve pressure on the defence as a whole. I didn’t say we should trade him but an upgrade however small could help a lot as we try to climb back into things.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I still think Broberg has value around the league. There are just way too many bad GMs who look at draft position more than ability.

The problem is that there aren't many Hollands out there that they can sucker into believing in his potential.
Broberg is essentially the Puljujarvi of Dmen. He has the physical tools, size and skating ability, but he doesn't have any real skill or the brain to get the most out of his physical gifts.

And like Pulju, they waited a year or two too long to trade him before the league found out what most of us knew about the player all along.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If it was related to not wanting to be here, sure… if it was related to something else personality wise, then it question their ability to read that.
Puljujarvi demanded a trade multiple times when his ice time got cut or they suggested his role should be something other than top line right winger with preferred powerplay time. If he could play hockey at a high level, he likely would have run with all that ice time Edmonton fed him to try and keep him happy, and he would have been perfectly happy in Edmonton.

Oilers would have had a lot of experience in dealing with an entitled problem child around that time.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Stauffer and Reid Wilkins said the Oilers mismanaged this situation and asset.

Says this situation with Broberg will get tricky

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm getting a sense that Katz has been dabbling in the team's hockey ops again with the Jackson hiring. If there's a divide between Holland's vision and the team's, you can't let him be a figurehead GM. That's a really bad look.

Hope I'm misreading it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

I think we would have to add our 1st to that for them to do it. Especially with the extra cap space coming our way.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Player development for the Oilers has been terrible going back to the EIG days. The streets are littered with once promising prospects who stalled out in the Oilers system or went on to find their game somewhere else.

I wouldn’t blame broberg for wanting out. Won’t be surprised at all if he goes to another team who gives him minutes, lives with the growing pains and ends up with a solid all around minute muncher.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The problem is that there aren't many Hollands out there that they can sucker into believing in his potential.
Broberg is essentially the Puljujarvi of Dmen. He has the physical tools, size and skating ability, but he doesn't have any real skill or the brain to get the most out of his physical gifts.

And like Pulju, they waited a year or two too long to trade him before the league found out what most of us knew about the player all along.
It would be so nice to have an actual competent GM that trades their busts early for decent value e.g. Fitzgerald trading Ty Smith for Marino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad