Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Which Players Would You Waive or Trade?

Which Players Would You Waive or Trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Maaan, would really love Chychrun but Kenny needed to have the $5.5m "greybeard" next season so it's a no go unless Holland can make the Barrie contract disappear.
Obviously Broberg+1st++ including a salary dump obviously. I would not trade both Holloway+Broberg. Maybe Savoie instead of Holloway? Another 1st?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Even if we had the capspace

Broberg, or Puljujarvi for sure maybe even Holloway
1st for sure
And probably another combination of high draft draft pick in 2022-23 and prospects

I liked the offer earlier:

Broberg + 2 1st + 2nd + kass and Barrie

for

Chychurun and Crouse

Its certainly a kings ransom but Chychurun types arent avail via trade very often

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Both are bad yes. If Keith was ONLY signed this year, it would be fine.

I think next year this team is going to be substantially worse than this year. Between Nurses extension, Puljujarvis extension, Keiths still aged contract, Barrie being useless etc.

They'll be about the same team. They shit the bed every December anyway, even in "good years", December 2016 was terrible so was December 2018 and 2019. The only year they had a good December in the McDavid era was 2017, but that team finished the lowest overall lol.

That still doesn't mean they're good. They are a mediocre team without McDavid on the ice (yes even with Draisaitl there, can't score 5 on 5 with RNH and Yamamoto) and they are a easy 1st round out.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Both are bad yes. If Keith was ONLY signed this year, it would be fine.

I think next year this team is going to be substantially worse than this year. Between Nurses extension, Puljujarvis extension, Keiths still aged contract, Barrie being useless etc.

I think the team next year could be a bit better simply based on internal growth (Bouchard, Holloway, McLeod, Skinner?) but no chance to improve with players from outside unless Holland works some cap gymnastics which he hasn't proven to be capable of. Would have been just fine had the Keith contract been one year and they could have even re-signed him for dirt cheap this offseason as a solid 3rd pairing guy. Ugh

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They will still probably make the playoffs, but they are playing with fire right now. They do this every December. But yeah even when they "stabilize" they are an easy 1st round out.

To improve the team the 1st round pearl clutchers (this includes Holland) are going to have to eventually make peace with the fact that 1st round picks are going to have to be traded. Probably not just one, minimum likely two.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think the team next year could be a bit better simply based on internal growth (Bouchard, Holloway, McLeod) but no chance to improve with players from outside unless Holland works some cap gymnastics which he hasn't proven to be capable of. Would have been just fine had the Keith contract been one year and they could have even re-signed him for dirt cheap this offseason. Ugh
IF Holloway is even ready. He has missed a metric f*** ton of hockey now. He had his FIRST surgery March 29th. So its going on 9 months now, could soon be 10.
And with it being a wrist injury and missing so much time its going to be a while before he got his puck skills down. He definitely won't be ready this year and I think he is going to need at a full AHL season between this and next to make it work.

Bouchard is already a little better but thats only one spot. McLeod could help.

But you also having aging players. McDavid and Draisaitl will slow down a bit from being THIS good at some point. Nuge is going to get worse. Hyman could too. Keith will be worse next year too.

So at the best I think this team will be as good as we are this year. THIS is our best chance at pushing for a cup and we can't even win a game at this point.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I liked the offer earlier:

Broberg + 2 1st + 2nd + kass and Barrie

for

Chychurun and Crouse

Its certainly a kings ransom but Chychurun types arent avail via trade very often

yeah...ooof...that is expensive

Chychrun for Broberg, Bougault, Kassian first ?

We need to win now. Futures so us no good

Bourgault is our replacement for Puljujarvi or Yamamoto if they become too expensive or don't work out.
I'm bullish on Bourgault. I would probably nix the deal if they asked for him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
IF Holloway is even ready. He has missed a metric f*** ton of hockey now. He had his FIRST surgery March 29th. So its going on 9 months now, could soon be 10.
And with it being a wrist injury and missing so much time its going to be a while before he got his puck skills down. He definitely won't be ready this year and I think he is going to need at a full AHL season between this and next to make it work.

But you also having aging players. McDavid and Draisaitl will slow down a bit from being THIS good at some point. Nuge is going to get worse. Hyman could too. Keith will be worse next year too.

So at the best I think this team will be as good as we are this year. THIS is our best chance at pushing for a cup and we can't even win a game at this point.

Well, I'm talking about next season not this one. If he's not ready next season then we're talking career altering stuff, I'm not ready to go down that road with him yet.

I think you're being a little overly pessimistic about the outlook but I get it, it's hard to be anything but doomsday-ish based on the current state of affairs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

They're not at the point where they're ready to push, forget all that. That is at minimum 22-23 if not 23-24 or further away.

The goal is to make the playoffs and take your lumps. Maybe by a miracle you can win a round but unlikely as the team is not good at player playoff style hockey. So 1st round out was always the trajectory this year, sure there was hopes/dreams that Hyman/Foegele/Ryan/Keith would fix all that ails but clearly this is still a mediocre team 5 on 5 and defensively, and without Smith in net they eventually collapse.

Trade every 1st for the next 3-4 years if need to get help now that is still young enough to grow with the group.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One of the major problems is that we are low on draft pick chips, which have been used to acquire pieces like AA, Green, Keith, getting rid of Looch, etc. These are not 1st rounders, but they could have been extremely useful in sweetening pots for good players. And we now have a bunch of multi year contracts for plugs like Ryan, Turris, Kassian, and Shore to try and wiggle our way out of. I had no idea that there was such intense league wide interest in Turris, Shore or Ryan that we needed to give them more than a 1 year deal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well, I'm talking about next season not this one. If he's not ready next season then we're talking career altering stuff, I'm not ready to go down that road with him yet.

I think you're being a little overly pessimistic about the outlook but I get it, it's hard to be anything but doomsday-ish based on the current state of affairs.
I think he will play in the AHL this year but I don't think him not being NHL ready next year is career altering stuff. Missing 9 months of hockey slows down everyones development. He is almost a year behind right now.

And I wouldn't say its doomsdayish, its an unfortunate reality.

Edmonton is one of the least desirable cities in the league so NTC and free agency is made more difficult. We are a horrible trading team with a GM thats horrible at trading. We have thrown away so many assets at literally nothing. Our drafting looks better but guys are still a while away. McDavid and Drai are in their peak RIGHT NOW. And the team around them is league worst. So many issues still with this team and little cap and time left.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It’s just a bunch of media hype clickbait. They’re not going to gut prospects and picks for Chychrun

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One of the major problems is that we are low on draft pick chips, which have been used to acquire pieces like AA, Green, Keith, getting rid of Looch, etc. These are not 1st rounders, but they could have been extremely useful in sweetening pots for good players. And we now have a bunch of multi year contracts for plugs like Ryan, Turris, Kassian, and Shore to try and wiggle our way out of. I had no idea that there was such intense league wide interest in Turris, Shore or Ryan that we needed to give them more than a 1 year deal.

Yeah it's too bad. Not much can be done now, other 1sts have to be put on the table going forward. Just is what it is. Hope that some of Petrov, Holloway, Bourgault, Savoie, Samourkov, pan out.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They're not at the point where they're ready to push, forget all that. That is at minimum 22-23 if not 23-24 or further away.

The goal is to make the playoffs and take your lumps. Maybe by a miracle you can win a round but unlikely as the team is not good at player playoff style hockey. So 1st round out was always the trajectory this year, sure there was hopes/dreams that Hyman/Foegele/Ryan/Keith would fix all that ails but clearly this is still a mediocre team 5 on 5 and defensively, and without Smith in net they eventually collapse.

Trade every 1st for the next 3-4 years if need to get help now that is still young enough to grow with the group.
Further away from 23-24 is rebuild territory. This team HAS to be competitive now timeline and cap wise. This team can't even make a competitive team WITH McDrais current contracts, zero chance when they get paid what they deserve.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Further away from 23-24 is rebuild territory. This team HAS to be competitive now timeline and cap wise. This team can't even make a competitive team WITH McDrais current contracts, zero chance when they get paid what they deserve.

Like I said I would trade every 1st, 2nd round pick even that we have in the next 3-4 years to get help that makes sense (not 38 year olds, but actual 20-something NHL players).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think he will play in the AHL this year but I don't think him not being NHL ready next year is career altering stuff. Missing 9 months of hockey slows down everyones development. He is almost a year behind right now.

And I wouldn't say its doomsdayish, its an unfortunate reality.

Edmonton is one of the least desirable cities in the league so NTC and free agency is made more difficult. We are a horrible trading team with a GM thats horrible at trading. We have thrown away so many assets at literally nothing. Our drafting looks better but guys are still a while away. McDavid and Drai are in their peak RIGHT NOW. And the team around them is league worst. So many issues still with this team and little cap and time left.

It's definitely doomsdayish but as I said, I get that it's a rough time for Oilers fans so emotions are running high. I was on a Rant about Holland rampage myself last night.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
For this year the money would work out and with both players signed for next year--that helps

To EDM
Kane at 50%, 3.5 million
Reimer at 2.25 million

To SJ
Koskinen at 4.5 million
Yamamoto at 1.175 million

That would give us Reimer and Smith signed for next year. Unless we get a team to take one of KAss, Barrie, or Keith and we do not take any money back--we are going to be hard press to get a goalie at a reasonable rate next year
What are we going to do with a 3rd goalie? Reimer and Smith are signed on for another year each. My only issue with that deal, is it locks us into Reimer, who may just be on an incredible hot streak. He's playing the best hockey of his life right now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's definitely doomsdayish but as I said, I get that it's a rough time for Oilers fans so emotions are running high. I was on a Rant about Holland rampage myself last night.
I just wanna have faith in this team ya know.

Like look at our play and go “ya, we are good enough to win most nights but some nights ain’t our night” rather than look at our play and constantly go “I’m glad the Pp/McDrai are so good, they won us that game”

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Prepare for the coming 1st round and other stuff for Carey Price (with retention) deal this spring.
Who would you plan to move (that Montreal would be interested in) that would create 10 million in cap space that would be required to take on that contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad