Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Which Players Would You Waive or Trade?

Which Players Would You Waive or Trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Fire the coach and give the new guy as much time as possible to overhaul the way this team plays. Don’t make the same mistake the Flames did last year by waiting to fire Ward. If Sutter had more time last season they make the playoffs.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
That sample is incredibly skewed by 20 games of DRY.

There's basically nothing in the numbers that indicate RNH has made Draisaitl better over the past two seasons since.
I used a 3 year sample size , 19-20 was very strong and 20-21 was weak and the present season 21-22 is also very strong. In the 2021-22 season they've already played 50% more together than they did in all of the 2020-21 season so it should give a bit of an indication in how infrequently they played together last season and due to the size of that sample more prone to statistical abnormalities than the 20 games sample you cited.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Waive Perlini and Ryan. Trade Turris.
Who is going to trade for Turris?

I'd waive Perlini and Turris and Derek Ryan is testing my patience, but I wouldn't move him yet, we don't really have any forwards in the AHL that are screaming for a call up, the best of them presently is Griffith, but I'm not overly eager to add another small player to the roster. We need either some waiver claims or trades to improve our forward depth before dispensing with all of our bad forwards.

I'm still fine with Tippett he makes some questionable decisions, but to me his fate is likely determined more by how our next playoffs go, not by in season hiccups.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I'd waive Perlini and Turris and Derek Ryan is testing my patience, but I wouldn't move him yet, we don't really have any forwards in the AHL that are screaming for a call up, the best of them presently is Griffith, but I'm not overly eager to add another small player to the roster. We need either some waiver claims or trades to improve our forward depth before dispensing with all of our bad forwards.

I'm still fine with Tippett he makes some questionable decisions, but to me his fate is likely determined more by how our next playoffs go, not by in season hiccups.

Tippett is taking the Oilers no where, no f***ing chance he knows what to do in a playoff round when the opponent inevitably plays the same trap system that Winnipeg did in the playoffs (and all they did was copy Toronto and Montreal from the regular season).

How many more times do you need to really see it.

They will make the playoffs, face a 1st round opponent that plays trap in the middle of the ice, PPs will dry up, they will have no idea what to do, coach will do nothing but stick his thumb up his ass and put McDavid and Draisaitl on one line, the defence will then crack a bit and it's on to summer.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
This team needs more garbage goals. It's good to have some flash, we are spoiled with it, but they need to get some meat and gravy goals.

giphy.gif

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
We had are chance this off season.

Holland Blew It. But don't worry 24/25 we will have like 25 mil in cap space again

Reactions: Czechboy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We had are chance this off season.

Holland Blew It. But don't worry 24/25 we will have like 25 mil in cap space again

Nah you keep grinding. The 1st for 2021 ... trade it for a player that helps the team and can be on the roster for several years. Teams will even take a Kassian if they have to get an extra 1st.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Anyone sending us a salaried player. It's the easiest way for us to move out money. As a $1.6m caphit, he's not entirely buriable. But as an impending UFA, he's probably not the worst player for a team to take on.

As for Ryan, waive his ass to wake him up. Total nothing player.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Either Holland is the worst GM in the world at acquiring bottom 6 talent. Or Tippett is garbage.

Either way it's basically on Holland really. If the coach can't get anything out of the players you keep spending money and assets on then why aren't you firing the coach? Stop admiring McDavid and Draisaitl's game breaking talent and do your job.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Either way it's basically on Holland really. If the coach can't get anything out of the players you keep spending money and assets on then why aren't you firing the coach? Stop admiring McDavid and Draisaitl's game breaking talent and do your job.
It’s a hard one for any GM. Holland has NEVER fired a coach in season so I doubt it happens.
He needs to do SOMETHING though. If he isn’t willing to fire a coach then he needs to fix the bottom 6 another way.
They can cry all day they don’t believe in analytics or they use different numbers but.
At the end of the day the non McDavid players are getting out scored at higher rates and totals than the past 5 years. That’s not even fancy stats like expected numbers etc.

The hard truth is they get heavily outscored. So either it’s the goalies fault or it’s the players faults and SOMETHING needs to be done before the season vanishes. We are 16-8 and current 3rd in the division. With the way we are playing we could very easily fall into a wildcard spot or out by New Years. That’s unacceptable.

Reactions: Faelko

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Either Holland is the worst GM in the world at acquiring bottom 6 talent. Or Tippett is garbage.

In Calgary, Sutter asked Treliving for certain types of players to succeed with his coaching style. So Treliving did, and they're succeeding. What is Tippet's style and why hasn't he and Holland built anything together?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In Calgary, Sutter asked Treliving for certain types of players to succeed with his coaching style. So Treliving did, and they're succeeding. What is Tippet's style and why hasn't he and Holland built anything together?
It definitely doesn’t line up.

Look at our starting defence
Nurse - Bouchard
Keith - Ceci
Koekoek - Barrie

If you had to chose one skill that they all share what would it be? Puck moving. They are all average at worst puck movers. So, in a smart system the defence would be moving the puck, getting pucks on net and helping to create chaos by moving the puck quick and firing shots.

What do they do instead? Dump the puck and rim it around the boards. that’s not what they do instinctually. So they have to think it and then do it which slows down their decision making.

The players we have don’t match the coach and the coach isn’t adaptable enough to tweak his plan to work with our personnel.

He is coaching us like we are Arizona when he should be coaching us like we are Toronto or Tampa.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It definitely doesn’t line up.

Look at our starting defence
Nurse - Bouchard
Keith - Ceci
Koekoek - Barrie

If you had to chose one skill that they all share what would it be? Puck moving. They are all average at worst puck movers. So, in a smart system the defence would be moving the puck, getting pucks on net and helping to create chaos by moving the puck quick and firing shots.

What do they do instead? Dump the puck and rim it around the boards. that’s not what they do instinctually. So they have to think it and then do it which slows down their decision making.

The players we have don’t match the coach and the coach isn’t adaptable enough to tweak his plan to work with our personnel.

He is coaching us like we are Arizona when he should be coaching us like we are Toronto or Tampa.

RG0BS1U.gif

This is pretty much the best post on the topic. It gets down to the crux of the issue. Holland is building an offense first team, Tippett seemingly doesn't want to or doesn't know how to coach a team with this personnel type obtained. Get someone who does.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Holland has NEVER fired a coach in season so I doubt it happens.
Not just during a season; he's never fired his head coach before. Dave Lewis might have been, but Holland just let his contract run out after the lockout ended and hired Babcock.

It's a lot easier to get a new voice to lead than it is to trade for two or three players during the season. I hate bitching about the team/coach all the time, but everyone has seen this exact season twice before. This could get out of control in a hurry given how bad things are starting to go and the schedule getting tougher.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not just during a season; he's never fired his head coach before. Dave Lewis might have been, but Holland just let his contract run out after the lockout ended and hired Babcock.

It's a lot easier to get a new voice to lead than it is to trade for two or three players during the season. I hate bitching about the team/coach all the time, but everyone has seen this exact season twice before. This could get out of control in a hurry given how bad things are starting to go and the schedule getting tougher.

Maybe they can bring in Mac T to hold Holland's hand. You're paid $5 million or whatever a year Holland, do your f***ing job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad