Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Top 6 Forward or Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If he goes on the wing of McDavid Drai is it really a bad thing? Sure he has to face top comp but that top comp will be trying to shut dwon the other two not him. I could see 40 pt rookie year no problem.

I’d rather have Kassian on that line going to the dirty areas
RNH needs some help on the 2nd line so I think Benson could be a decent fit. I was hoping they would’ve given him another year in the AHL but they may have no other choice but to plug him in the top 6 on the big club

Reactions: Oilhawks

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Unfortunately, the Oilers need to send a contract back the other way. Zucker's deal is north of $5 million. Maybe Holland can convince Fenton to somehow take Lucic.

Could send Gagner although ideally they'd also find a new home for Russell without taking money back.

As a random side note I wonder if Pysyk could be had after the Stralman signing. Ekblad, Stralman, Weegar maybe he's the odd man out.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Based on what Holland said, I have a feeling we'll sign one of Vanek/Maroon.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Benson - Nuge - Chiasson
Khaira - Granlund - Kassian/Puljujarvi

or

Kassian - McDavid - Draisaitl
Vanek - Nuge - Chiasson
Benson - Gagner - Puljujarvi

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Could send Gagner......

As a random side note I wonder if Pysyk could be had after the Stralman signing. Ekblad, Stralman, Weegar maybe he's the odd man out.

"Pysyk?

Did someone just say Pysyk?"

Somewhere deep in the halls of Rogers Place, a very old stone statue with emerald eyes stirred. His hands, one gripping an old griffin and the other a used laser pointer, finally released their vicegrip.

Bob Green was awake again.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Based on what Holland said, I have a feeling we'll sign one of Vanek/Maroon.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Benson - Nuge - Chiasson
Khaira - Granlund - Kassian/Puljujarvi

or

Kassian - McDavid - Draisaitl
Vanek - Nuge - Chiasson
Benson - Gagner - Puljujarvi

I kind of hope its Maroon. He has some warts as a player but I really liked his presence on this team.
His cup experience would just add to that.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Would Minnesota do lucic + pulj + bear 2nd in 2020 for rask + conditional 3rd If pulj scores 15 goals or 35+ points they have the cap space, Fenton seems a lil off his rocker (chia 2.0 with some luck)
If he sucks buy him out next year

Gives us 2 mill more to sign the top 5 winger

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From the last thread.

Well no ****, unless you or I are in their front office we have no clue what is being tossed around, what is realistic and what is not.

Because they have kicked around the idea of Lucic to look after Pettersson and Eriksson wants out and is another poor AAV? Stranger trades have happened.

A young and cheap recent 4th overall and a youngish 3rd pairing RHD when they are low on NHL quality NHL D and a 3rd, not to mention that they have been trying to trade Zucker since last trade deadline so clearly they don't value him all that much. Fenton traded Nino for Rask, this in principle is a better deal and opens up a lot more cap starting from the '20-21 season.

None are world beaters and are nothing but place holders until the cream in our system rises to the top. That or we can just roll out the likes of Brodziak and Manning for another season.

All that I see is you whining about my post instead of posting your own ideas to let myself and others critique them, it's always easy to take shots at others posts and proposals without putting thought into your own.

And is it not at least possible that some of what he has explored would be deals that you or I would've done? You can't say that the deals above are not possible and then say that Holland has not made any mistakes or that you agree with everything that he has shot down can you?

I never said otherwise, however seeing teams like Toronto dealing within their division and conference when seen as being in a position of weakness and coming out with a guy like Barrie while dealing Kadri shows us that it can be done. The offseason isn't over, but if this is for the most part our lineup come October I can't see how anyone can say that Holland has had a good offseason with a straight face. Like it or not, the fans and players want a playoff team and they want it now and shouldn't settle for anything less than that.

I’m not whining about your post but do not understand why so many are going off the rails wanting to overpay to get 1 season of playoffs.

Didn't we do that under Chia?

Seems to me that a more patient approach is needed but that isn’t sitting well with the playoffs in 2019 or Bust crowd who think McDavid will fly the coop if we fail to do so.

My proposals:

Don’t get caught up in high cap hits and long term free agents over 29 in free agency this year.

Don’t overpay for middle of the road players this year.

Be patient this summer and early fall and see what shakes loose from other cap strapped teams. Try to take advantage.

If we don’t make the playoffs I don’t care so long as we are competitive for a playoff spot which I think we will be with Tippett coaching and a better bottom 6 which we have today.

Finally everyone complaining needs to realize players who are higher end UFAs do not want to play in Edmonton. It’s looked upon as a nuclear waste dump by most players. We must vastly overpay to acquire top UFA talent and we simply can’t afford it right now. Not sure why that is so hard to fathom.

This “he could do this and he could do that” is nothing where the “whining” is coming from.

Just be patient is my proposal.

Reactions: North

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
@Aceboogie
To answer your questions from the other thread:

1. What do you believe if we dont show forward progress? Do you think McDavid will cut and run?

No. Ask me that again if we are bumbling around in the bottom 5-10 in a couple more years and I may change my mind.

2. Do you believe this offseason (thus far), has shown additions that would bring about forward progress

Yes. Coaching (I believe in Tippett) and a better bottom 6. I also think a rookie in Jones is better than a hobbled aging Sekera at a fraction of the price.

Myself, I would go all in this offseason so I could show McDavid that forward progress. If you hoard all your prospects and picks and dont show forward progress, what good does that do?

I reject the All In approach because we can’t afford All In.

Either way I believe in a patient approach.

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Just like to put this down in here.

Potential Bonuses

Mike Smith $2,000,000
Gaëtan Haas $637,500
Evan Bouchard $500,000
Kailer Yamamoto $230,000

Total $3,367,500

Interesting, that's almost the rest of the cap right there in those four players. Of course they aren't all going to get paid those bonuses but it's a thought as to why Holland may never have spent that extra cap space unless something comes along that's worth putting next year's cap in penalty.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Just like to put this down in here.

Potential Bonuses

Mike Smith $2,000,000
Gaëtan Haas $637,500
Evan Bouchard $500,000
Kailer Yamamoto $230,000

Total $3,367,500

Interesting, that's almost the rest of the cap right there in those four players. Of course they aren't all going to get paid those bonuses but it's a thought as to why Holland may never have spent that extra cap space unless something comes along that's worth putting next year's cap in penalty.
Mike Smith has 1.75m in bonus'.

With 750k being playoffs.

If he hits that I don't think anyone will care about a slight overage next year.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I wonder if Maroon signing here and Lucic being traded would be related? Supposedly Lucic is the one Maroon didn't get along with here and that was part of why we didn't make him an offer last summer. Just speculation, but if Holland can pull off that trade for Lucic it might lead to something with Maroon.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wonder if Maroon signing here and Lucic being traded would be related? Supposedly Lucic is the one Maroon didn't get along with here and that was part of why we didn't make him an offer last summer. Just speculation, but if Holland can pull off that trade for Lucic it might lead to something with Maroon.
Lucic should get traded anyways if there is a move that can be made.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Puljujarvi for Eriksson Ek makes too much sense. We coveted him back in the 2015 draft and he has had struggles like Pulju.
K but the guys that were looking at taking him in that draft are gone... You'd have to think the new management holds him in a different regard. I would have a hard time making that trade now.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I really feel like Toffoli and Campbell would help the Oilers a lot. I don’t know what a trade would look like, but Toffoli is a top six forward and friends with Lucic. Maybe adding Toffoli would make Lucic 25% better.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I am, generally speaking, not of a patient mindset when it comes to the Oilers. But this is their scenario next summer:

McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Chiasson, Khaira, Lucic signed at F. Klefbom, Larsson, Russell signed at D. Koskinen signed at G. 24.9M in cap space against a flat salary cap. Russell has 1 year remaining, is due a 15 team trade list, makes 1.5M in real money. Lucic is due 9M over 3YRS in real dollars. They'll know about Koskinen, one way or the other. The buyout is 2.5/1.3/1.3/1.3 if need be and if it doesn't need to happen, chances are they feel better about him. Even so, the three remaining problem contracts are night and day easier to manage.

They have the flexibility to almost entirely remake their team around their core based on information this year. You have to think a portion of the cluster that includes Benson, Marody, Yamamoto, McLeod, Jones, Bear, Persson, Bouchard, Lagesson and Samorukov will make up a cost controlled part of the roster w/ one year and two training camps between now and then to earn spots. And the foreknowledge that they could expect an 8-10M cap jump in 2021 to mitigate the risk on buying high and signing pricy contracts in 2020.

As for this year, I think they need to add ~7 wins. Lots of lanes for that happen. A team save percentage closer to Vancouver's .905 versus the Oilers .896 would be huge. 30 goals on the LW from the 2, 3 and 4 lines instead of the 9 they actually got would be huge. A PK in the 80 percent range, still not very good, would be over a quarter of the Oilers goal differential hole by itself. Marginal upgrades in several key areas that are realistic enough could swing that by themselves.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hell, if Smith gets us into the playoffs I don't care if his bonus is 5 mil. I'll take playoffs over anything at this point.

Excited for sure to see what unfolds. Just wish we were able to swing something to acquire Barrie. Still badly need two top 6 wingers and two defencemen better than anyone we currently have.

Lol...

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I’m not whining about your post but do not understand why so many are going off the rails wanting to overpay to get 1 season of playoffs.

Didn't we do that under Chia?

Seems to me that a more patient approach is needed but that isn’t sitting well with the playoffs in 2019 or Bust crowd who think McDavid will fly the coop if we fail to do so.

My proposals:

Don’t get caught up in high cap hits and long term free agents over 29 in free agency this year.

Don’t overpay for middle of the road players this year.

Be patient this summer and early fall and see what shakes loose from other cap strapped teams. Try to take advantage.

If we don’t make the playoffs I don’t care so long as we are competitive for a playoff spot which I think we will be with Tippett coaching and a better bottom 6 which we have today.

Finally everyone complaining needs to realize players who are higher end UFAs do not want to play in Edmonton. It’s looked upon as a nuclear waste dump by most players. We must vastly overpay to acquire top UFA talent and we simply can’t afford it right now. Not sure why that is so hard to fathom.

This “he could do this and he could do that” is nothing where the “whining” is coming from.

Just be patient is my proposal.

I would buy this more if they didn't buyout Sekera. That indicates to me there was an intent to make a splash. As it currently stands we could've just kept him and buried him if we had to, then tried retention trading next year again or buying him out then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad