Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Multi-Year Kassian Extension Prior to Trade Deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Yes, for sure. I don't think the ask would be less than a top prospect, would you?

So you didn't mention Lavoie in your list. To me, Lavoie would be a piece that has tons of value, I consider him a top prospect. He might turn in to a real good NHL'er. But... I might consider letting him go for the right piece that helps in the next 2 seasons. Connor Brown seems and ideal fit.

I wouldn't do any of those guys for Brown, including Lavoie.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I wouldn't do any of those guys for Brown, including Lavoie.

I wouldn't do any of those guys... Except for Lavoie. I dunno, I like his game, I think he's a great fit. Sens likely won't trade him because he's a solid player. You don't think that highly of him, fair enough.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So Replacement i do have something childish to suggest....

From TO

Andreas for 1LW
and
Kerfoot for 3c

--look at the make up of Andreas....there is untapped potential there....

--Kerfoot continues to improve...Defensively he is gettting very good....and he has always had some hands and willingness to battle in the slot...suggest you look at his last goal vs Chicago....his problem has always been his playmaking.....

--Hopefully Benson makes it out of camp next year.....

Benson kerfoot Neal ....would work really well i think once Benson gets some confidence....Benson would be the playmaker on that line. Kerfoot would handle centre responsibilities and be the defensive mind....Neal would be the opportunist and have less responsiblity 5 on 5 vs playing on the top two lines....

....the price....

Larsson
Haas
Ryan Mcleod

It hurts us defensively this year ....and supposes that by next year end of Novemberish ....that one of Persson, Jones or Bouchard will be good enough to play decently on the second pair...

Oh i guess this also presupposes the cap will rise to 83 to 83.5 million next year as we have new contract for 3 or 4 guys to deal with....

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
So Replacement i do have something childish to suggest....

From TO

Andreas for 1LW
and
Kerfoot for 3c

--look at the make up of Andreas....there is untapped potential there....

--Kerfoot continues to improve...Defensively he is gettting very good....and he has always had some hands and willingness to battle in the slot...suggest you look at his last goal vs Chicago....his problem has always been his playmaking.....

--Hopefully Benson makes it out of camp next year.....

Benson kerfoot Neal ....would work really well i think once Benson gets some confidence....Benson would be the playmaker on that line. Kerfoot would handle centre responsibilities and be the defensive mind....Neal would be the opportunist and have less responsiblity 5 on 5 vs playing on the top two lines....

....the price....

Larsson
Haas
Ryan Mcleod

It hurts us defensively this year ....and supposes that by next year end of Novemberish ....that one of Persson, Jones or Bouchard will be good enough to play decently on the second pair...

Oh i guess this also presupposes the cap will rise to 83 to 83.5 million next year as we have new contract for 3 or 4 guys to deal with....
I'd do that all day long but there is absolutely no chance TO does. Keep dreaming, I think if you entered that trade into NHL20 it tells you to GTFO.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He is also giving up a ton of HDSC against and might actually be singlehandedly responsible for turning an elite defensive team (the Coyotes) into an average one.
Hall's HDCF% is 53.93% and his HDGF% is 63.64% as a Coyote. Right now he is playing with Christian Dvorak and Connor Garland as the defacto #1 line. This year Dvorak's HDCF% without Hall is 20% and with Hall is 60.26. For Garland it is 59.26% with Hall and 47% without. Halls HDCA/60 rate with the Yotes is 10.77. Stepan's is 10.34 and he is the guy who would normally be playing against the oppositions best before Hall came. Dvorak's is 9.52 and Garland's is 9.8. Kessel is about the same as Hall. Soderberg, Hinistrosa, Richardson and Crouse are all worse.

The Yote's problem is that they have had both starting goalies hurt. They were getting great goaltending most of the year.

This is just really bad analysis. It could be the loss of the team's all-star goalie and their backup that is hurting the GA. But no, let's dig deeper...It's Taylor Hall's HDCA rel that tells the story.

These rel stats are brutal for giving very misleading data when taken out of context.

While this article isn't ripe with rock solid statistical analysis it certainly reinforces what many Devils and Oilers fans, myself included, have noticed throughout his career.

In that game today alone Hall got a goal but was minus 5 and a big part of why the Coyotes lost.

Except Hall has been a + player virtually every year in his career despite playing on teams that were big time negatives in terms of ES goal differential. No one is going to argue that he is great defensively and we all know that there are times he can be brutal in that regard. But his record is consistent and undeniable. When he is on the ice his team has more chances and scores more than they give up.

Taylor Hall - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Adding Hall makes your team better. The question is is he worth the money?

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'd do that all day long but there is absolutely no chance TO does. Keep dreaming, I think if you entered that trade into NHL20 it tells you to GTFO.
My guess is that Toronto does this trade. They have forwards galore and could easily replace Johnsson and Kerfoot. What they lack is a RH defenseman like Larsson who is actually signed next year and they will have no cap space to get one. I would not do it from the Oilers perspective this year. I might think about it in the off season depending upon how the things go.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
My guess is that Toronto does this trade. They have forwards galore and could easily replace Johnsson and Kerfoot. What they lack is a RH defenseman like Larsson who is actually signed next year and they will have no cap space to get one. I would not do it from the Oilers perspective this year. I might think about it in the off season depending upon how the things go.
I dunno man maybe I sell the big Swede a little short here but surely one can find a no offence shutdown dman. Johnsson and Kerfoot would solve a lot of problems up front. And if TO is selling that I snap it up now!!

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Easiest job in hockey that Eberle, Puljujarvi, Spooner, Strome, Jokinen, Lucic couldn't keep. Doesn't look like Neal can keep it either.

Well, most of those guys aren't actual NHL players, or guys well past their prime.....

By the numbers, Eberle was better with McDavid than Kassian is.

McDavid and Eberle together in their two seasons on the same team: 53% corsi and 57% goal share when on the ice together 5x5.

Kassian and McDavid from 17/18 to present: 49% corsi and 54% goal share.

Strome only got to play about 60 minutes with McDavid. They had a 56% corsi and 75% goal share.

Odd that they didn't get more of a chance together. Strome has clearly shown with the Rangers that he can excel when given an opportunity to play with talent.

The point isn't that McDavid should be able to elevate any and every player, but that McDavid is capable of playing well with many different players. I think we should just reject the idea that the Oilers should pay any kind of premium at all for a player because he plays good with Mcdavid.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I am beginning to like the team we have. Enough to make waves in the playoffs, a tiny bit of extra depth in case of an injury, young guys on the team getting better, European guys getting better, lines finally clicking. We even have a couple that could get us low picks. To top it off our Lucic replacement is doing miles better than Lucic and may do even better in the playoffs.

Stay the course and we shall be rewarded.

:):):)

Reactions: ujju2

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
The one thing that has been missing on all the Kassian talk is this - what does McDavid want? It is quite possible that he likes the security that comes with having a "role player" on his line. Kassian is the rare guy that can skate, scores a bit, and will protect 97.

Maybe 97 would rather have a line that looks like - skill player - 97 - Kassian instead of 2 skilled wingers getting beat on like teams do with Backlund / Monahan / Johny G.

If 97 wants him signed and playing on the 1st line, Holland has no choice

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
OK...we dont sign him....he signs in Colorado or Vegas(They would love him) or even worse Vancity or Calgary......

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ya, the article has some small sample size but i think in general it's a microcosm of Hall's career and some of what i've been saying for many many years. He's an ok player as far as being able to generate some offence but you don't win with a guy like that in the NHL. Who was that player that said the Oil were easy to play against in the Hall days because they played like a Jr team (a Habs player i recall)? This is/was hall's game. It might have success in the Jrs where everyone else was also unstructured but in the NHL with the parity you HAVE to play more structured, defensively responsible and the right way.

Even Connor, who's 10x the talent of Hall has games of looking bad when he strays from the structure and basics. Hall likes to often stray from the team structure and do stuff like not be in proper position (ie in the d zone give his dman an outlet on his wing boards etc). He likes to be all over the ice and this throws the other 4 guys off, especially defensively. He makes horrendous turn overs trying to do things beyond his abilities (carrying the puck too much especially in his own end)... saw several bad ones today.

It's a pickle for him... yes he has some talent and people regard him as that but he's very much overrated and therein lies the problems. They and he expect a way of play and certain things from him (ie lugging the puck, running a pp etc) but he's just simply not skilled enough, good enough to be THE GUY. He needs to be more of a secondary guy who also plays the right way consistently (chip in 50+ pts and be strong forechecking and defensively). Not sure at this point whether he'd accept that role or not though.

Today was vintage Hall..... scores a nothing goal (a chessy seeing eye shot), put another pt in the "fancy" stats bag for him, numerous turnovers being dumb or trying to do too much, several real lack of urgency defensive efforts, mediocre effort in a HUGE game for the team (not good as a leader), and a big ol dash 5. Glad he's doing that for our rivals and not us anymore. Holland better not get his a** back here.

Good post.

Bringing Hall back, either as rental or extension, has been a big topic on here and in general around the Oilers this year. Hall was my favorite player while here but his great offensive play ALWAYS has come with a big asterisk next to it for very bad defense and questionable leadership.

With our secondary scoring being so poor for so long many, including myself, are thinking Hall could help our team get better. That, plus one golden year where he drug a poor NJ team into the playoffs, are really the only reasons anyone is seriously considering getting Hall back.

The article, which predates the Arizona game last night, really does properly identify a genuine concern for any team considering acquiring Hall. Olympic team Canada has snubbed Hall for that reason and Hart or not I will be surprised if Hall ever gets a game... assuming the nhl ever goes back.

Combine all that with a player exiting his prime and being very dependant on speed alone, significant injury history/generally being very injury prone, that will have a high cap hit, and you get a player that we shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

The timing of the article and then seeing it in action against a divisional rival hopefully really drives home how risky acquiring Hall would be. I really hope the Oilers pro scouts and Holland watched that game with an for the chaos Hall brings to a team.

That game against Arizona alone should shave off a million on Halls next contract and I really hope we are not the ones giving it to him.

I am now firmly in the do not sign Hall camp for any amount. The Hall I watched last night is not worth 5 million per year and someone might actually be dumb enough to pay the guy 9 or 10+ per year.

Combine that with Kassian reportedly getting a fat overpriced 3+mill, Nurse 6+, Bear 3+?, Nuge and Larsson both needing contracts, Yamamoto/Benson/any prospect that excells moving forward needing space and the Oilers really can NOT afford Hall in any way shape or form.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So now you are letting fear drive your contracts?

That does not sound like a good strategy.
There should be fear. We have 2 top 6 wingers right now and some want to walk away from one.

Sure walk away if Puljujarvi decides to come back or if we draft a NHL ready top 6 player this draft.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
There should be fear. We have 2 top 6 wingers right now and some want to walk away from one.

Sure walk away if Puljujarvi decides to come back or if we draft a NHL ready top 6 player this draft.

Who is claiming they want to walk away from Kassian? I don't see that anywhere.

There is a huge difference between "walking away from" and not overpaying out of fear.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Who is claiming they want to walk away from Kassian? I don't see that anywhere.

There is a huge difference between "walking away from" and not overpaying out of fear.
As if there haven't been posters here saying good luck in ur next team if u want 3M+

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
People should probably just accept the fact that Kassian is getting over 3M whether they like it or not. Not a fan of Spector but he doesn’t drop info like that and not be somewhat accurate. HFOil is definitely not agreeing on if it’s a good deal or not..lol.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I dunno man maybe I sell the big Swede a little short here but surely one can find a no offence shutdown dman. Johnsson and Kerfoot would solve a lot of problems up front. And if TO is selling that I snap it up now!!

Kerfoot and Johnsson have as many points as Chiasson. It's not like these two are blowing the league away. And they play for the offensive juggernaut that is the Leafs.

Meh... not the trades I would make. Go bigger... less crap.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
We should be learning from our mistakes especially when it comes to contracts. How stupid does the Chiasson extra year signing feel now that he has reverted to exactly what he was pre-break out year.
"No, but this time it'll be different!" - Every person going back to their ex only to have it blow up in their face again.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
We certainly will have to pay quite alot more in the off season. There is some desperation now with both Rielly and Muzzin on LTIR.
Another thing TO needs to go far into the playoffs is a quality backup....and it looks like NYR dont really want to deal with them....they would want a premium from TO.

WE are perfectly set up to help Dubas....they have Engvall and Mikeleyev coming on strong....
But TO's jugular is exposed...they need three things to be there in the final four....A defensive top 4 D, a quality backup, and some wiggle room on cap to have depth moving up...
Further with firing Babcock there is definite pressure to win now....Dubas&Shanahan have thrown alot of chips in for this season...

Last edited:

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Keep him under 4 and we are good. The cap is going up so salaries will go with them. Kassian is a good fit here. Can play on every line and not look out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad