Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Kassian Extension Before Trade Deadline? Anything Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I want someone with more skill than Kassian on Connor's left side. Same physical skillset as Kass (maybe not quite as tough fighting wise as that's asking a bit much) but better at passing, shooting, puck protection, etc. than Kass

Oh, so like, one of 5 players in the league then?

Half of the teams don't have a player with the "physical skillset" of Kassian at all, let alone top-six talent. You're probably going to lose on the physicality and/or straight away skating to find a player that shoots and passes better. You're definitely not going to find a wrecking ball with top-six talent.

I think the James Neal side is the more pressing issue, tbh. If we could develop a more legitimate skill based third line by acquiring a quality two-way centre, we could play Neal there and buy low on a more effective 5v5 player for McDavid to "inflate".

I personally like the idea of Mikael Granlund and Chris Tierney as "realistic" targets that will not run AAA assets to acquire. Granlund being a more evolved 5v5 player than Neal and Tierney giving us the ability to ice a third line that could include Neal, Chiasson, Archibald or even Kassian if Archibald sticks up top. Possibly even Benson given time.

Kass - McDavid - Granlund
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Chiasson - Tierney - Neal
Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald
Russell, Haas.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Holland is not amazing at identifying and paying talent, that’s why you have Abdelkader and Glendening on crazy contracts.

Also Bear is just coming off his rookie contract, Nurse is on his third and going into UFA years, the contract comparison is null.

And Bear has been the best dman this season so far, he’s pretty good.
Bear has exceeded expectations but has certainly not been the best Dman. To claim he carries Nurse on that pairing would be incorrect.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I guess you can't argue with someone who lives in a world where facts are meaningless.

You confuse facts with stats.... that's your issue. Stats can lie. stats can be used to twist and prove things that aren't true.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Holland is not amazing at identifying and paying talent, that’s why you have Abdelkader and Glendening on crazy contracts.

Don't think this surface analysis of Holland is fair.

Do not believe he was allowed to rebuild through the draft in Detroit. Don't believe he had an easy time attracting people to the worst city in North America with no chance at winning. What do you do with that mandate in a situation like that? You overpay your middling RFAs and mid-range UFAs to try to complete for 8th.

And as it happened to the Oilers in 2009, and the Canucks in 2017 and lots of other teams in-between, when you refuse to rebuild the right way the bottom will fall out.

Reactions: Seachd and Oilhawks

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Oh, so like, one of 5 players in the league then?

Half of the teams don't have a player with the "physical skillset" of Kassian at all, let alone top-six talent. You're probably going to lose on the physicality and/or straight away skating to find a player that shoots and passes better. You're definitely not going to find a wrecking ball with top-six talent.

I think the James Neal side is the more pressing issue, tbh. If we could develop a more legitimate skill based third line by acquiring a quality two-way centre, we could play Neal there and buy low on a more effective 5v5 player for McDavid to "inflate".

I personally like the idea of Mikael Granlund and Chris Tierney as "realistic" targets that will not run AAA assets to acquire. Granlund being a more evolved 5v5 player than Neal and Tierney giving us the ability to ice a third line that could include Neal, Chiasson, Archibald or even Kassian if Archibald sticks up top. Possibly even Benson given time.

Kass - McDavid - Granlund
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Chiasson - Tierney - Neal
Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald
Russell, Haas.
This makes a whole lot of sense to me except i have chiasson moved out for cap purposes ....and hopefully ....a rookie with rookie money can play there....Benson ....of course this assumes Benson can learn enough between now and next year...

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
This makes a whole lot of sense to me except i have chiasson moved out for cap purposes ....and hopefully ....a rookie with rookie money can play there....Benson ....of course this assumes Benson can learn enough between now and next year...

Well, that line-up and these trades are for next month moreso than next year. Granlund as a rental may emerge as someone the Oilers may want to re-sign after a spring audition, but I wouldn't commit to that on paper in the summer UFA market without crossing off some higher profile names.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Don't think this surface analysis of Holland is fair.

Do not believe he was allowed to rebuild through the draft in Detroit. Don't believe he had an easy time attracting people to the worst city in North America with no chance at winning. What do you do with that mandate in a situation like that? You overpay your middling RFAs and mid-range UFAs to try to complete for 8th.

And as it happened to the Oilers in 2009, and the Canucks in 2017 and lots of other teams in-between, when you refuse to rebuild the right way the bottom will fall out.
Im a Holland supporter and i think you both are right....
Holland will never be a truly dynamic trader ...just not what he is ....and i think he has been somewhat damaged by his last few years in Detroit for just the reasons you have mentioned....
However i do believe his failure to overpay Donskoi and Connelly in free agency has opened his eyes somewhat ...
Holland is very smart ....and even at his age has learned from this ....
(I admittedly cursed Holland when we picked Broberg).

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Well, that line-up and these trades are for next month moreso than next year. Granlund as a rental may emerge as someone the Oilers may want to re-sign after a spring audition, but I wouldn't commit to that on paper in the summer UFA market without crossing off some higher profile names.
We dont need the higher profile names....we have enough....
We need to find the ideal buy low guy for LW....somebody called J walters here had Coleman awhile back...

Just so i have an idea ...I think we could keep Tierney.....and Ottawa would let us talk to the agent....
What do you think the cost would be??

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Kassian, Ty RAttie, Chaissson, Maroon. Anyone that can the least bit skate will do well.

I long for the day when this team can actually give the best player in the world two good wingers.
Miles Wood can skate is good defensively and can make room for David....he can get inside too....but he is not a shooter or good playmaker....he can pick up the garbage though...he has been pushed down Jersey's lineup by Gusev...

sounds like Jersey is going...

Bratt Hischer Palmieri
Gusev Zajac Coleman
Boquist Hughes Simmonds(going to be resigned i guess)

....and maybe they will see after the lottery and before the draft who else might be available....if they chose 2 or 3 or 4 ...0f the top 5 or 6 players maybe 2 or 3 of them can make the jump....

Not sure what the price will be for Woods ....a second??

Last edited:

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Bear has exceeded expectations but has certainly not been the best Dman. To claim he carries Nurse on that pairing would be incorrect.
Would you like to prove me wrong? Because I have the stats and my observations to prove my point.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Would you like to prove me wrong? Because I have the stats and my observations to prove my point.

I hope you aren't going to argue Bear is better because of a 1% difference in something like CF% or xGF% since the absolute minuscule difference in their stats is from Nurse playing two games with Russell.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I hope you aren't going to argue Bear is better because of a 1% difference in something like CF% or xGF% since the absolute minuscule difference in their stats is from Nurse playing two games with Russell.
I can easily remove Russell’s detrimental effects to the equation it’s not that hard.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I know its a minor ease from the salary cap but could the Oilers release Brandon Manning's contract due to code of conduct and get some savings and free up a roster spot? I don't imagine hes ever going to get called up again seeing as how Nurse and Jones are on the team and they would want to beat the shit out of him immediately after he sets foot in the locker room. A 5 game suspension does not seem enough.

What a trash human being. I would not be surprised if he did injure Mcdavid on purpose. Thanks Chia.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Nurse got paired with Bear cause Nurse cant pass for **** and they needed a puck mover with him so he doesnt go into the zone and constantly just throw it into the corner
You’re not very bright. You’re Raabs twin brother right?

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I know its a minor ease from the salary cap but could the Oilers release Brandon Manning's contract due to code of conduct and get some savings and free up a roster spot? I don't imagine hes ever going to get called up again seeing as how Nurse and Jones are on the team and they would want to beat the **** out of him immediately after he sets foot in the locker room. A 5 game suspension does not seem enough.

What a trash human being. I would not be surprised if he did injure Mcdavid on purpose. Thanks Chia.
No.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They should lose their collective minds if he gets 7+.
He is underappreciated by some (as is Klefbom) but Holland can't just open the vault for him either. Anything over 6.5 is just too much, anything over 7 is absurd.

If you want to live in a permanent world of a cap ceiling of $81.5M I would agree. However the cap is projected to be within range if not exceeding $90M within 2 years so if your buying UFA years then your paying more as well as where the free agent market would be for Nurse. Easily $7M - $7.5M. That’s the reality.

Reactions: Homesick

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Kassian, Ty RAttie, Chaissson, Maroon. Anyone that can the least bit skate will do well.

I long for the day when this team can actually give the best player in the world two good wingers.
Ah so not anyone like you said before(Maroon is a pretty slow skater). Rattie was not that good with McD after the preseason.
I know what you are saying though, except I wanted Nuge to finally get a good winger and leave McD and Drai together. However, Drai/Nuge/Yammo have actually made things a lot easier. Cap space though, we just don't have it.
I want us to develop the wingers to play with McD, much like Yammimoto. Benson, Lavoie, Mcleod are my hopes for the future here.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
If you want to live in a permanent world of a cap ceiling of $81.5M I would agree. However the cap is projected to be within range if not exceeding $90M within 2 years so if your buying UFA years then your paying more as well as where the free agent market would be for Nurse. Easily $7M - $7.5M. That’s the reality.
Yep, the cap will go up so will salaries. I do not know why some have not grasped that concept. It happens literally every bloody times the cap goes up. Was not that long ago that a 4 million dollar contract was a lot to spend.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yep, the cap will go up so will salaries. I do not know why some have not grasped that concept. It happens literally every bloody times the cap goes up. Was not that long ago that a 4 million dollar contract was a lot to spend.

I don’t get it either. The cap is going to be over $100M before a 6 or 7 year deal is up.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Did anybody hear Bob Stauffer talking about Chia turning down Backlund/Wideman/Our draft pick for CGY's draft pick in the Pool Party draft. It was something around that.

Reactions: oobga
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad