Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Brian Burke said that there was discussion around the league about compliance buyouts.

I heard the Cult of Hockey podcast which brought up some interesting points.

- If it's like last time, there could be two per team. So the obvious choices are Neal and Russell.

-However, if you look at what other GMs will do, there will be a lot goalies suddenly becoming available. So, perhaps we would want to buyout Koskinen's 4.5 AAV. Russell's might be tradeable considering his low remaining salary.

But personally, since Neal has 3 years left vs Russell's 2 years, it's not a ton of difference and perhaps buying out Russell makes more sense if we have more use of Neal.

Idk, but the point about goalies is interesting. There are some big names that have younger goalies taking their jobs. Lundqvist, Rinne, Bobvrovsky, Schneider (who was heating up a lot at the end btw). Maybe Price even, just because of the cap hit??

edit: and perhaps we could keep Koski considering how strong he was at the end, but still, 4.5 AAV might be a lot

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Brian Burke said that there was discussion around the league about compliance buyouts.

I heard the Cult of Hockey podcast which brought up some interesting points.

- If it's like last time, there could be two per team. So the obvious choices are Neal and Russell.

-However, if you look at what other GMs will do, there will be a lot goalies suddenly becoming available. So, perhaps we would want to buyout Koskinen's 4.5 AAV. Russell's might be tradeable considering his low remaining salary.

But personally, since Neal has 3 years left vs Russell's 2 years, it's not a ton of difference and perhaps buying out Russell makes more sense if we have more use of Neal.

Idk, but the point about goalies is interesting. There are some big names that have younger goalies taking their jobs. Lundqvist, Rinne, Bobvrovsky, Schneider (who was heating up a lot at the end btw). Maybe Price even, just because of the cap hit??

edit: and perhaps we could keep Koski considering how strong he was at the end, but still, 4.5 AAV might be a lot

Russell only has one year left after this one and should be relatively movable since he'll only cost $1.5M after they pay the signing bonus.

Neal would be a no-brainer to use it on.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Russell only has one year left after this one and should be relatively movable since he'll only cost $1.5M after they pay the signing bonus.

Neal would be a no-brainer to use it on.

Is there still a loophole where you can trade a player.....have him get bought out by the other team and then sign him?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Did Willis say something about prorating Neals goal totals and Cgy will get our 3rd round pick?

It’s behind the Athletic paywall...it was brought up on Twitter.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Did Willis say something about prorating Neals goal totals and Cgy will get our 3rd round pick?

It's absolutely crazy and dumb. Meaning the NHL will probably do it to us. This from the same league that made us give up higher end picks to sign previously fired coaches and managers.

Reactions: TB12 and Faelko

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It's absolutely crazy and dumb. Meaning the NHL will probably do it to us. This from the same league that made us give up higher end picks to sign previously fired coaches and managers.

What were the conditions on there?

If there is scenario that involves losing the 3rd and getting cut from an expedited playoffs than that is what we can expect the NHL to do.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What were the conditions on there?

If there is scenario that involves losing the 3rd and getting cut from an expedited playoffs than that is what we can expect the NHL to do.
I don't think there were any conditions at the time of the trade that allowed for loss of the rest of the season. So I believe the NHL would have to make a ruling based on what has transpired. If that's the case, give Drai his 140 points and 50 plus goals (projected) and make sure and register that in the stats.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
what's funny is that we were the ONLY team that suffered the loss of picks for Tmac and Chiarelli, and then the league changed the rule because it was freakin ridiculous. I think maybe they made Columbus do it too after the ruling, if I recall. Still, what BS that we had to give up anything. I'm still sore about that, because it was OBVIOUS that that was not the intent of the rule. It was for situations when teams poach an assistant coach, or a AHL coach, etc.. The league could have went with the spirit of the rule and everyone would have understood.

If we have to give up the 3rd to Calgary it will just too hilarious. Are we the only team that would be hit by this? Seems all too perfect that we will have to pay

Reactions: TB12 and Skar

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think there were any conditions at the time of the trade that allowed for loss of the rest of the season. So I believe the NHL would have to make a ruling based on what has transpired. If that's the case, give Drai his 140 points and 50 plus goals (projected) and make sure and register that in the stats.
If they prorate James Neal. They have to prorate the whole season and give those players those points.

You can't just start picking and choosing what you prorate

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
maybe we should be hoping that the league goes for a shortened season instead a pro-rated one. There is a crucial difference in language there that could mean the difference in us having to give up a 3rd or not

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I don't care what anyone in the media or anyone anywhere is saying.. THE SEASON HAS TO CONTINUE. It's BUSHLEAGUE if they end the season when we are having such a great year with a decent roster

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
If they prorate James Neal. They have to prorate the whole season and give those players those points.

You can't just start picking and choosing what you prorate

True....and what's to say Neal wouldn't have got hurt and missed the remaining games, or just gone super cold and not scored in his final 10 games?...it could have happened. Prorating would just be a big headache all around for teams when it comes to bonus's

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

If they try to pull that crap I can’t see it going through. That would also mean Morgan Geekie wins the Art Ross, Rocket, and is in the record books for the most single season goals (with 123). Cameron Gaunce also likely takes the Norris with his 109 point season. You can’t just change the rules for the hell of it. The Neal trade conditions weren’t met. Too damn bad.

Calgary buyout would save the Oilers cap space for the amount they are retaining.

Exactly. That’s a good thing for us. We also likely take that chance to clear Neal off the books (I’m happy with him, but you take the capspace if it’s an option), which gets us 6.5 million freed up

Reactions: Faelko and McXLNC97

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who might end up only ever playing 9 games for the Oilers.

I'm not sure that I'd want to re-sign him TBH. If so 1 year at whatever the price is that you could bury hi in the minors without having cap tied up.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who might end up only ever playing 9 games for the Oilers.
I'd re-sign him.

Where would Drake Caggiula even fit on this roster? We can't even find a role for AA at the moment.

That trade paid absolutely no dividends for our roster but at least the kid stays in the NHL in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad