Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
you're right that the need isn't pressing now, but "need" is not so simple.

Almost always, it's about opportunity. Georgiev being available is an opportunity. Goaltending could become part of our team identity, and not just something get by with "just enough". It's not guaranteed with Georgiev+Koskinen, but that's on the table, and the quality of Koskinen gives us a generous window for Georgiev to show if he's elite level, without the intense pressure of it having to happen right away.

I don't share your optimism about our goalie prospects. At the very least, I wouldn't bet our future in net on them.

The other half of that is that JP is a spare part. With the emergence of Yamamoto, LW is a bigger hole now. It's looking like this upcoming draft will deliver us that player.

And to me, if there is a difference in value let that be shown on the ice, and the loser of the trade get a conditional pick as compensation.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree when it comes to our goalie prospects which makes it a tough discussion. The one thing I will say is there definitely isn’t a big window for Georgiev to show he’s got what it takes. With Seattle coming in next year the clock would be ticking because you’d have to decide between Koskinen and Georgiev for that expansion, and I think there’s a pretty good chance you’d lose the other. If that happens you’ve entirely flushed away what was a top end asset.

I still much prefer Andersson if there’s a deal to be made with the Rangers, but I know that’s not a popular opinion here.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The issue is that Nashville would have no use for Benning. They are ultra deep at defense. They need a big shakeup at forward.

Nashville is not deep, and Benning would be like their 5th best dman. I’ve never understood why people combine being deep with having a good top end. Nashville has a very good top 4, but they’ve also got some AHL calibre plugs playing regularly.

Reactions: Samus44

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nashville is not deep, and Benning would be like their 5th best dman. I’ve never understood why people combine being deep with having a good top end. Nashville has a very good top 4, but they’ve also got some AHL calibre plugs playing regularly.

I think the issue is you can very easily get a Benning level defenseman in UFA.

Not so much for a Jarnkrok-esque forward.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Like I said, I believe they have 3 very good young defenseman coming up. I'm not convinced Nashville is drooling over the 1.9 million contract that Benning has when they have options elsewhere. If Edmonton was playing Caleb Jones on a regular basis, why wouldn't Nashville be playing Carrier or Allard? Nashville isn't swiming in cap space either.

If David Farrance decides to turn pro they suddenly have 3 guys pushing for jobs.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Nashville fan here, Tinordi has been a very pleasant surprise here, he's not asked to do much and he's making the most of his time, he's definitely brought much needed stability to our 3rd pairing. Prospect wise we have a log jam of defensemen who could be NHL ready, Davies, Carrier, Allard, Farrance are all up and comers.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
you're right that the need isn't pressing now, but "need" is not so simple.

Almost always, it's about opportunity. Georgiev being available is an opportunity. Goaltending could become part of our team identity, and not just something get by with "just enough". It's not guaranteed with Georgiev+Koskinen, but that's on the table, and the quality of Koskinen gives us a generous window for Georgiev to show if he's elite level, without the intense pressure of it having to happen right away.

I don't share your optimism about our goalie prospects. At the very least, I wouldn't bet our future in net on them.

The other half of that is that JP is a spare part. With the emergence of Yamamoto, LW is a bigger hole now. It's looking like this upcoming draft will deliver us that player.

And to me, if there is a difference in value let that be shown on the ice, and the loser of the trade get a conditional pick as compensation.

RW is still not great. Kassian is in all honesty a 3rd liner who can play top 6 in the right role and when he's going good, he can't produce without top end talent around him. We need another top 6 RW, even if he plays on the 3rd line, and ideally that player is cheap. I hope that he changes his mind because despite the lack of improvement in production I do believe he was getting better, i saw it clearly every preseason. I think he's still got high end potential tbh. Playing 12 minutes a night with guys like Lucic isn't a recipe for success, I think he was mismanaged by himself, the coach, and the GM. But getting a year of development and confidence in Europe, a new coach, and hopefully some English skills to go with fixed hips we could see a stark turnaround. It's happened before and anecdotally I've noticed big toolsy types are often the guys who seem to take longer to find their potential and have meteoric rises.

I don't think Georgiev would be a bad addition but i'm also not blown away by him as I see his career likely being Khudobin like given his skillset and results. Maybe he's Bobrovsky 2.0 but I don't think his upside is likely to be huge. Solid goalies like him are consistently available but 6'4 guys who can move and do everything Puljujarvi can aren't, that's why he went 4th overall.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think the issue is you can very easily get a Benning level defenseman in UFA.

Not so much for a Jarnkrok-esque forward.

Kind of. You’re paying more capwise. That said, I wasn’t commenting on trade value. Just that Nashville is badly lacking on their bottom pairing.

Like I said, I believe they have 3 very good young defenseman coming up. I'm not convinced Nashville is drooling over the 1.9 million contract that Benning has when they have options elsewhere. If Edmonton was playing Caleb Jones on a regular basis, why wouldn't Nashville be playing Carrier or Allard? Nashville isn't swiming in cap space either.

If David Farrance decides to turn pro they suddenly have 3 guys pushing for jobs.

None of those guys have actually established themselves though. GMs like Poile and Holland don’t just give a spot to a young guy when laying out the roster. The 3 guys you named have combined for 5 NHL games and 0 points. Jones played 17 games last year as a callup, and still had to go back to the A this year, and wait until an injury before he was able to establish himself.

Nashville fan here, Tinordi has been a very pleasant surprise here, he's not asked to do much and he's making the most of his time, he's definitely brought much needed stability to our 3rd pairing. Prospect wise we have a log jam of defensemen who could be NHL ready, Davies, Carrier, Allard, Farrance are all up and comers.

The key word is could. Yannick Weber has played over 200 games in the last 4 years. It’s pretty telling that there’s a lack of depth when you’re happy with Tinordi, and he couldn’t crack an NHL roster for over 3.5 years. Those young guys aren’t exactly going to have to earn a spot, and that isn’t the best way to do things. Again, not saying you guys should give up Jarnkrok for him, but Benning still makes sense imo (not that I want to trade him anyways) as he’s a good jack of all trades #5 dman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad