Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Boeser is incredibly overrated. He basically has the same career path as Eberle. Peaks early, inexplicably loses a bit of his shooting ability and becomes a inconsistent one dimensional soft forward. He's the worst Canucks forward in their top 6. If you watch Canucks games he's pretty useless when he doesn't score, and for some reason he's lost a lot of his scoring ability.

It seems like once he started suffering injury after injury (and some freak accidents like when he fell into the open gate and buggered his back) is when his offensive game took a nosedive.

He's way to injury prone, hard pass from me as well.

Reactions: Cloned

FilTheThrill91

Feb 5, 2020
Likely to retire, IMO

I don't know for an older guy very likely to see limited minutes and games especially with the expanded rosters is it really worth it to leave your family for however long for that? This pandemic is a lot more serious and scary in the US than here and who knows maybe these extra few months of rest could do these veterans a world of wonders. Can't blame Green in the least bit with all the uncertainty and doesn't necessarily mean he's not returning as I feel he still could fill that #7 role and would have interest returning close to home.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't know for an older guy very likely to see limited minutes and games especially with the expanded rosters is it really worth it to leave your family for however long for that? This pandemic is a lot more serious and scary in the US than here and who knows maybe these extra few months of rest could do these veterans a world of wonders. Can't blame Green in the least bit with all the uncertainty and doesn't necessarily mean he's not returning as I feel he still could fill that #7 role and would have interest returning close to home.
Green was going to be a mainstay on that defensive unit, if healthy. He was going to be a PP option, PK option. People overlooked him all year because he dealt with injuries playing in Detroit. Good chance he was a 20 minute guy for us if he ended up playing.

I'm disappointed he's not coming.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Given the additional knowledge of Green having issues with viral infections in the past, that reinforces his decision to stay at home. However, like @belair, I saw him potentially stealing a spot. There's quite a few question marks regarding his health and whether he 'still has it' that could have been answered in the RTP. Veterans like Green will likely be finding a tough time getting a 7/8D contract given the cap climate for the next 3 years. Maybe him and Holland had something worked out for next year already and they discussed him opting out with that in mind. Guess we'll find out.

FilTheThrill91

Feb 5, 2020
Green was going to be a mainstay on that defensive unit, if healthy. He was going to be a PP option, PK option. People overlooked him all year because he dealt with injuries playing in Detroit. Good chance he was a 20 minute guy for us if he ended up playing.

Not going to disagree with you on that at all, really liked the trade at the time as well because he checked a number of boxes for the Oilers like you said. I just feel between extended layoff and coming off the injury at his age and point in his career this is probably the best decision for him going into UFA as disappointing as it is to us Oilers fans. I think a lot of older guys going into UFA in this same situation may do the same as getting injured could seriously affect their chances of getting that next contract especially with the flat cap upcoming and uncertain free agent market as a result of that.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not going to disagree with you on that at all, really liked the trade at the time as well because he checked a number of boxes for the Oilers like you said. I just feel between extended layoff and coming off the injury at his age and point in his career this is probably the best decision for him going into UFA as disappointing as it is to us Oilers fans. I think a lot of older guys going into UFA in this same situation may do the same as getting injured could seriously affect their chances of getting that next contract especially with the flat cap upcoming and uncertain free agent market as a result of that.
At this point, I think you have to give these guys credit. If they're opting out, you have to assume there's a concern regarding the virus and not necessarily looking at their future contract situations.

Not going to lie, that's the first place my mind went with Green. But I just don't see the guy passing up the opportunity to play for a Cup just to earn one last shot at a favorable deal next season. Same goes for Hamonic.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
At this point, I think you have to give these guys credit. If they're opting out, you have to assume there's a concern regarding the virus and not necessarily looking at their future contract situations.

Not going to lie, that's the first place my mind went with Green. But I just don't see the guy passing up the opportunity to play for a Cup just to earn one last shot at a favorable deal next season. Same goes for Hamonic.
What kind of contract would he even think he's worth at this point with that first half in Detroit? His best bet was to play the playoffs on a better team and increase his value now its when next season rolls around who is going to put any money or term into a guy who has been often injured and is 34 when who knows if a stoppage will happen again next year.....nobody.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Green has been dealing with major problems for a year and a half now. At some point with an older player you just have to admit they're not what they used to be. I don't think he would have been one of the Oilers top six D unless you wound the clock back a year and a half.

FilTheThrill91

Feb 5, 2020
Oh absolutely, I wasn't aware of his past medical conditions either and that is very true regarding passing up the Cup for a contract. For any of these guys with families whether compromised or not, it would be scary as hell to leave them for the duration of this season and you can't really blame them.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What kind of contract would he even think he's worth at this point with that first half in Detroit? His best bet was to play the playoffs on a better team and increase his value now its when next season rolls around who is going to put any money or term into a guy who has been often injured and is 34 when who knows if a stoppage will happen again next year.....nobody.

Ya he was likely playing for a new contract this playoffs so I was a little surprised he opted out. You’ve got to assume he’s a PTO guy next year, or maybe league minimum best case scenario. He’s basically in the same boat as Phaneuf, who couldn’t get a contract at 34. The injuries pile up, and you’ve got to prove you still belong

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Green has a tough time playing 20 minutes without getting injured, let alone playing in tense playoff series with limited warmup. He's been a walking band-aid for some time now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Green has been injury prone his whole career and if he has had issues with viral infections in the past this makes a lot of sense.

Maybe this is him taking the time off and trying to get back to close to 100% and give it one last shot. That and he has made close to 70mil in his career and is soon to be 35. The risk just doesn't make sense for him I guess.

Still could see him coming back next year

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Based on that main boards thread I dont blame them. Both him and Petterson are good but overrated.

It's also a nice offseason to have cap space.

The timing of the rumour is bad though. We are nowhere near trading time. Boeser is about to fight for the cup with Vancouver. Idk maybe they leaked this to light a fire under him

I really disagree on Petersson. The kid is a stud. Awesome player imo.

Boeser is good but I would be a bit scared of giving him a big contract. Just seems like he is always hurt.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Green has been injury prone his whole career and if he has had issues with viral infections in the past this makes a lot of sense.

Maybe this is him taking the time off and trying to get back to close to 100% and give it one last shot. That and he has made close to 70mil in his career and is soon to be 35. The risk just doesn't make sense for him I guess.

Still could see him coming back next year
not to be glib about it, but unless COVID is totally solved by the time free agency hits, who would take Green? It's easy for us to say when it is just cap space like a video game, but an owner has to hand out over a million bucks to someone who might not do any work

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
not to be glib about it, but unless COVID is totally solved by the time free agency hits, who would take Green? It's easy for us to say when it is just cap space like a video game, but an owner has to hand out over a million bucks to someone who might not do any work
I have to think that players won't be able to opt out of the 21-22 season, if they do their contracts won't be paid out.

Never did really hear much about it though, so who knows.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really disagree on Petersson. The kid is a stud. Awesome player imo.

Boeser is good but I would be a bit scared of giving him a big contract. Just seems like he is always hurt.
who is Petterson comparable to in your eyes? What kind of cash on his extension? Because yes, I do think he is an awesome player, but he is talked about like he is a top elite. He's still young so maybe he could get there

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I have to think that players won't be able to opt out of the 21-22 season, if they do their contracts won't be paid out.

Never did really hear much about it though, so who knows.
The owners already got flack for not paying people during COVID. I know an NHL player is not the same as arena staff, but the NHLPA would still demand they get paid fully

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The owners already got flack for not paying people during COVID. I know an NHL player is not the same as arena staff, but the NHLPA would still demand they get paid fully
I'm sure the NHL isn't going to pay all the players if they just decide to take the year off.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I doubt it. It's unfair to the players who are paying. These aren't people playing paycheck to paycheck. You decide not to play the games you don't get paid, the league can't afford to pay players who refuse to play and it's unfair to the teams to try and pay them and find replacements for them in the roster and pay them too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad