Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That's good to hear. I've liked him for a while too and have been surprised he hasn't gotten an NHL contract yet. He could be a really solid bottom-six guy.
With flat cap 20 other teams would be looking for players like him.
Maybe Haas can help lure him here. Pius Suter looks like a much better player than Haas on paper. Throw him the 3C bone with Haas his winger.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
With the NHL allowing Romanov and Kaprizov to play this year despite just signing there contracts, it’s to bad we couldn’t bring Pulju in on a contract. Can’t think it would hurt, and if he plays well it would only increase his ability to be traded, or on the off chance he could mend some fences and re sign for next year.

But I’m like 99% sure when he said “never say never”, that was Holland telling him to shut the **** up to the media so he can get some leverage.

Edit: just read Kaprizov can’t play in the playoffs, so my point is probably invalid now

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With flat cap 20 other teams would be looking for players like him.
Maybe Haas can help lure him here. Pius Suter looks like a much better player than Haas on paper. Throw him the 3C bone with Haas his winger.
Elite has him signing with Chicago apparently. They hit a home run with Kubalik signing it of the NLA this past season. I could see Detroit being a front runner as well considering he played with Bertuzzi, Fabbri and Gemel Smith in Guelph.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
With the NHL allowing Romanov and Kaprizov to play this year despite just signing there contracts, it’s to bad we couldn’t bring Pulju in on a contract. Can’t think it would hurt, and if he plays well it would only increase his ability to be traded, or on the off chance he could mend some fences and re sign for next year.

But I’m like 99% sure when he said “never say never”, that was Holland telling him to shut the **** up to the media so he can get some leverage.

Edit: just read Kaprizov can’t play in the playoffs, so my point is probably invalid now
I don’t think either can play.
They’re just signing now to burn this year so the teams can guarantee them for next year since the KHL will be starting on time

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Elite has him signing with Chicago apparently. They hit a home run with Kubalik signing it of the NLA this past season. I could see Detroit being a front runner as well considering he played with Bertuzzi, Fabbri and Gemel Smith in Guelph.
He played with long time Blackhawk Marcus Kruger this year too

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I know BLH isn't the best person for a rumour lol but he says Oilers have interest in signing Pius Suter. Kenny wanted to bring him into Detroit before

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Suter could also be a guy who could play on the left side with McDavid. He has a similar approach to the game as Yamamoto. That would be a pretty attractive option to dangle I'd think.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Suter could also be a guy who could play on the left side with McDavid. He has a similar approach to the game as Yamamoto. That would be a pretty attractive option to dangle I'd think.
True but I don't know if guys his age really want that. They want playing time more than anything and with how Tippett has used Nygard and Haas I doubt he sees that much playing time for the first year. I think Suter signs with a bottom team, get him some NHL playing time and experience and then go to a better team when he has proven he can play

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
True but I don't know if guys his age really want that. They want playing time more than anything and with how Tippett has used Nygard and Haas I doubt he sees that much playing time for the first year. I think Suter signs with a bottom team, get him some NHL playing time and experience and then go to a better team when he has proven he can play
And yet those guys actually signed and then re-signed with the Oilers! There could indeed be players who only want to go somewhere where there is little competition, but I think this is not the rule. It's also risky. Jumping into the NHL and being asked to be a go to guy is not the easiest way to prove you belong. Riding shotgun for guy like McDavid would be a much better situation to find yourself in after breaking in in a lesser role.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Can anyone describe Suter as a player? I don't know a thing about him
Small feisty guy who is solid in both ends of the ice. Very determined. Reminds me of Yamamoto in this regard but I don't think he has Yamamoto's natural skill. He had a huge season as a 19 year old in Guelph scoring 43 goals. But I have not seen much of him since he left the OHL.

He is good enough defensively to be a solid #3C in the NHL but I think he could be an option for the left side with McDavid. Smart players do well with McDavid. And he does not need the puck all the time to have success.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Just looking a bit ahead...

That flat cap is going to cause some problems for us starting next summer. As it stands we already have ~$49m committed to only nine skaters and a goalie.

It has me thinking that it would probably be smart to get our RFAs locked up to two or three year extensions instead of just one this summer.

RNH (~7.5) - McDavid (12.5) - Kassian (3.2)
AA (3.25) - Draisaitl (8.5) - Yamamoto (4.0)
Benson (1) - XXXXXXXX - Archie (1.5)
Khaira (1.2) - XXXXXXXX - Neal (5.75)
(48.4)

Klefbom (4.2) - Larsson (~4.5)
Nurse (5.6) - Bear (2.5)
Jones (1.2) - Bouchard (1)
(16.6)

Koskinen (4.5)
XXXXXXXX
(4.5)

TOTAL: 71.9

This is probably as optimistic a cap outlook could be walking into the 2021-22 season. Assumed are RNH, Khaira, Benson and Larsson re-signs and short-term extensions for AA, Yamamoto, Bear and Benson. We're left with about $9m to address our bottom six C's and a back up role. Not impossible, but it's important to note that the bolded cap numbers aren't necessarily realistic.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The third year is even larger of an issue. The Nurse deal ends and you need to make long-term decisions on guys like Bouchard, Yamamoto, Bear and Benson.

I think something needs to happen with the Neal contract between then and now. And I'm wondering if we need to make a decision on Nurse next summer. We may not be able to afford both he and Klefbom on their next contracts.

It also puts into focus how unrealistic an add like Taylor Hall would be. Assuming we develop some reasonably solid supporting talent, we're going to have to pay them eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

The Cheez

Aug 14, 2015
Just looking a bit ahead...

That flat cap is going to cause some problems for us starting next summer. As it stands we already have ~$49m committed to only nine skaters and a goalie.

It has me thinking that it would probably be smart to get our RFAs locked up to two or three year extensions instead of just one this summer.

RNH (~7.5) - McDavid (12.5) - Kassian (3.2)
AA (3.25) - Draisaitl (8.5) - Yamamoto (4.0)
Benson (1) - XXXXXXXX - Archie (1.5)
Khaira (1.2) - XXXXXXXX - Neal (5.75)
(48.4)

Klefbom (4.2) - Larsson (~4.5)
Nurse (5.6) - Bear (2.5)
Jones (1.2) - Bouchard (1)
(16.6)

Koskinen (4.5)
XXXXXXXX
(4.5)

TOTAL: 71.9

This is probably as optimistic a cap outlook could be walking into the 2021-22 season. Assumed are RNH, Khaira, Benson and Larsson re-signs and short-term extensions for AA, Yamamoto, Bear and Benson. We're left with about $9m to address our bottom six C's and a back up role. Not impossible, but it's important to note that the bolded cap numbers aren't necessarily realistic.
Also have to think the buy outs and retention on Lucic will cut that number down even more.
And I'm far from an expert in this area, but isnt there bonuses or something that also have to be taken into consideration?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bouchard should be ready for top 4 role when Larsson becomes a UFA. Walk away!

Broberg should be ready for top 4 LD role by the time Klefbom becomes a UFA. Walk away!

No need to pay UFA prices.

I would also walk away from Nuge if he is commanding 7.5M per.

Nurse-Bear
Jones-Bouchard
Broberg- whoever

Good enough for 2021-22

When I say walk away, I mean look for a trade first.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bouchard should be ready for top 4 role when Larsson becomes a UFA. Walk away!

Broberg should be ready for top 4 LD role by the time Klefbom becomes a UFA. Walk away!

No need to pay UFA prices.

I would also walk away from Nuge if he is commanding 7.5M per.

Nurse-Bear
Jones-Bouchard
Broberg- whoever

Good enough for 2021-22

When I say walk away, I mean look for a trade first.
When you 'walk away', you still need to fill that role with someone who likely takes up a similar amount of salary. And if we're assuming the team is in contention in those years, you're not trading these players away in the midst of a playoff run. Not to mention impending UFAs don't generally hold a ton of value.

In regards to Nuge--I've said it before--be prepared to pay him close to $8m. Especially if he posts a 70 point season in 2020-21.

Also good point regarding Broberg, but it's a pretty big leap expecting him to be holding down a top four role on a contender just three seasons into his pro career. We're going to need a number of our prospects to pan out by year three.

AA is also an interesting topic this summer. You kind of have to make a judgement call on him.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Also have to think the buy outs and retention on Lucic will cut that number down even more.
And I'm far from an expert in this area, but isnt there bonuses or something that also have to be taken into consideration?
Fortunately Andrej Sekera is the only guy left on a buyout going into 2021-22 and his cap penalty drops to just $1.5m. But that does take away for the amount of salary we've got available to address our needs in both that year and the year after.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even if Bouchard and Broberg can play a top 4 role. Can Nurse and Bear play a top pairing role?

Klef plays quite the role on this clubs backend and takes minutes away from guys that can't handle them. I hate to see him go and all of a sudden we go from a real good d-core to an average one. Especially considering we have no idea what the hell we are going to have in net.

Real tough to even look one year away let alone 3.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Klefbom - 100% re-signing.
Nurse - I would keep him for the next two years to see if there is any more growth. He could stay the same then sign the same contract.
Larsson - Trade him for a forward/prospect next season if Bouchard makes the jump.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Even if Bouchard and Broberg can play a top 4 role. Can Nurse and Bear play a top pairing role?

Klef plays quite the role on this clubs backend and takes minutes away from guys that can't handle them. I hate to see him go and all of a sudden we go from a real good d-core to an average one. Especially considering we have no idea what the hell we are going to have in net.

Real tough to even look one year away let alone 3.
I think we need to keep Klef where with Larsson you can move on from

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
When you 'walk away', you still need to fill that role with someone who likely takes up a similar amount of salary. And if we're assuming the team is in contention in those years, you're not trading these players away in the midst of a playoff run. Not to mention impending UFAs don't generally hold a ton of value.

In regards to Nuge--I've said it before--be prepared to pay him close to $8m. Especially if he posts a 70 point season in 2020-21.

Also good point regarding Broberg, but it's a pretty big leap expecting him to be holding down a top four role on a contender just three seasons into his pro career. We're going to need a number of our prospects to pan out by year three.

AA is also an interesting topic this summer. You kind of have to make a judgement call on him.
We're paying Nuge 8 mill when the cap is going in the toilet? Keeping in mind Draisaitl, who is arguably the best player in the league and continually improves his overall game and does whatever it takes to improve, is making 8.5. Nuge is the same player he's been since draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad