Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
who is Petterson comparable to in your eyes? What kind of cash on his extension? Because yes, I do think he is an awesome player, but he is talked about like he is a top elite. He's still young so maybe he could get there

I think probably similar to Aho contract. 8.5mil x 5-8 years. I dont think Vancouver has much choice tbh when it comes to Pettersson. Boeser on the other hand, I think they probably have to think about that one very carefully. Wonder if theres more to the story on Boeser, because it comes off as a bit odd. (especially the timing of the rumour).

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Getting rid of Russell, Larsson and Neal frees up the space imo.

That won't come cheaply. Larsson I think is enough of an asset that it makes more sense to trade him than to let him walk at the end of next year.

As usual, I wonder how much we'd have to bribe Seattle to get them to take Neal. Expansion teams usually have scoring issues and with first line powerplay time and a top 6 role he should be able to pot 25.

Reactions: joestevens29

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
That won't come cheaply. Larsson I think is enough of an asset that it makes more sense to trade him than to let him walk at the end of next year.

As usual, I wonder how much we'd have to bribe Seattle to get them to take Neal. Expansion teams usually have scoring issues and with first line powerplay time and a top 6 role he should be able to pot 25.

When it comes to Larsson, I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him until we have something to replace him with (which I dont see at the moment). Hes still a useful player and he was playing well before the shut down. I expect him to play well in the playoffs too.

Russell shouldnt be that hard to get rid of, unless he cant play or something. Hes still a pretty serviceable defenseman (I just dont think our team needs him with Jones on the rise). He makes very little actual money and signing a similar player in free agency is going to cost more. Should be able to get a mid round pick for him imo. I personally dont think hes a negative asset. I think hes something that a lot of GM's/coaches covet.

Neal on the other hand is a negative asset. I would do the Lucic/Neal trade every day but lets be honest, hes not a very good 5 on 5 player. Unless he really steps it up in the playoffs or has a very good year next year, I dont see how we really get out of that contract without attaching a first round pick to it, which I dont think this team can afford. We need cheap/talented players to play with McDavid/Draisaitl.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
When it comes to Larsson, I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him until we have something to replace him with (which I dont see at the moment). Hes still a useful player and he was playing well before the shut down. I expect him to play well in the playoffs too.

Russell shouldnt be that hard to get rid of, unless he cant play or something. Hes still a pretty serviceable defenseman (I just dont think our team needs him with Jones on the rise). He makes very little actual money and signing a similar player in free agency is going to cost more. Should be able to get a mid round pick for him imo. I personally dont think hes a negative asset. I think hes something that a lot of GM's/coaches covet.

Neal on the other hand is a negative asset. I would do the Lucic/Neal trade every day but lets be honest, hes not a very good 5 on 5 player. Unless he really steps it up in the playoffs or has a very good year next year, I dont see how we really get out of that contract without attaching a first round pick to it, which I dont think this team can afford. We need cheap/talented players to play with McDavid/Draisaitl.

I for sure start next year with Larsson, but depending on how ready Bouchard is/other offseason additions maybe we look to deal him instead of losing him for nothing.

yeah, Neal is the big anchor at this point. I like him on the PP more than Chiasson though.

Reactions: FlameChampion

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

My big issue with this is that AA is arguably one of the worst defensive players in the league and putting him with Drai who has had defensive struggles this year is a recipe for disaster. Taking a possession and offensive dominate like and completely neutering it.

Reactions: McDoused

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Assuming those were the lines for practice today? If so, it makes sense. They were having a lot of success with those 2 top lines when the season ended. Unfortunately that success was largely predicated on Yams playing OUT OF HIS MIND, and being on a ridiculous hot streak. It is unlikely that such a streak would continue after such a long lay off. But who knows, maybe AA can catch lightning in a bottle now playing with Drai, he has enough skill to get hot, no doubt about that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Assuming those were the lines for practice today? If so, it makes sense. They were having a lot of success with those 2 top lines when the season ended. Unfortunately that success was largely predicated on Yams playing OUT OF HIS MIND, and being on a ridiculous hot streak. It is unlikely that such a streak would continue after such a long lay off. But who knows, maybe AA can catch lightning in a bottle now playing with Drai, he has enough skill to get hot, no doubt about that.
There were together for 3 games like that

We went 1-1-1 McDavids line had 2 goals Draisaitls had 1. How in the world is that, "a lot of success"

AA - Drai - Yam might go even. If they are against the Kane line they would get eaten alive

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

We went 1-1-1 McDavids line had 2 goals Draisaitls had 1. How in the world is that, "a lot of success"

AA - Drai - Yam might go even. If they are against the Kane line they would get eaten alive
How do you know? You can tell the future? See them play first

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How do you know? You can tell the future? See them play first
If it was the regular season sure. But it's a 5 game series. That's a horrible time to just try things out

Edit: with that Logic just try McDavid with Benson and Marody. Could be elite. Don't know till we try!

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Oh, I must be mistaken. I thought I saw a stat-line that was a lot better than that. Apparently not.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Eh, not really, Kane was with Strome and Alex Nylander in their practice.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Eh, not really, Kane was with Strome and Alex Nylander in their practice.
I mean ya. Our line is better offensively. Theirs is much better defensively. Especially with Draisaitls defensive struggles this year, putting him with a guy like AA is not a strong idea.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I mean ya. Our line is better offensively. Theirs is much better defensively. Especially with Draisaitls defensive struggles this year, putting him with a guy like AA is not a strong idea.

Draisaitl really only struggled defensively with McDavid to be honest. When he was matched up with yamamoto and playing his proper C position he was much better. Plus he was a beast in the playoffs against the Ducks, I think he'll thrive.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Draisaitl really only struggled defensively with McDavid to be honest. When he was matched up with yamamoto and playing his proper C position he was much better. Plus he was a beast in the playoffs against the Ducks, I think he'll thrive.
He did play much better. He also had RNH who is relatively solid defensively. AA though is terrible defensively so Drai would have to put more focus in covering for him which could neuter him

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I remember pumping up Pius Suter's tires a few years back coming out of Guelph in junior. He's apparently coming over after a few successful seasons in the NLA. Might be a decent fit.

Reactions: KYams17

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I remember pumping up Pius Suter's tires a few years back coming out of Guelph in junior. He's apparently coming over after a few successful seasons in the NLA. Might be a decent fit.

That's good to hear. I've liked him for a while too and have been surprised he hasn't gotten an NHL contract yet. He could be a really solid bottom-six guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->